Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 71 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kengai

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Issue #1 (2018) TOC

Tantei Zeno to Nanatsu no satsujin misshitsu by Kyouichi Natatsuki (Story) and Teppei Sugiyama (Art) (New series Color pages)
Detective Conan by Gosho Aoyama
Maiko-san chi no makanai-san by Aiko Koyama
Major 2nd by Mitsuya Takeda
Amano Megumi Suki darake! by Nekoguchi
Komi-san wa komuyshou desu by Tomohito Oda
Hoankan Evans no uso ~Dead or Love~ by Mizuki Kuriyama
Saike Matashitemo by Tsubasa Fukuchi (color page)
Souboutei Kowasubeshi by Kazuhiro Fujita
Hatsukoi Zombie by Ryou Minenami
Dagashikashi by KOTOYAMA
Be Blues by Motoyuki Tanaka
K.O.I King of Idol by Tamaki Wakaki
Maoujo de Oyasumi by Kagiji Kumanomata
Hiiragi-sama wa jibun wo sagashiteru by Hiroyuki Nishimori
Tenshi to Akuto by Aya Hirakawa
Shinobi no by Rokuro Ogaki
Kyoukai no RINNE by Rumiko Takahashi
Zettai Karen Children by Takashi Shiina
Daiku no Hatou by Michiteru Kusaba
Tenshou no Quadrable by Takahiro Arai
Meteor Girl by Reach Ishiyama
Youkai Giga by Satsuki Satou
Tokachi Hitoribocchi Nouen by Yuuji Yokoyama

No Ryoko or Aozakura this week.

Next week in issue #2, Soukyuu no Ariadne (Though Yagi writes it as "Ariadne in the Blue sky") begins, Megumi gets a color page for a new volume, Dagashikashi gets one for the anime starting soonish, and Conan is absent again...yup, *again*. It's only for one week this time, but after the last time I can't be too sure of anything. Also Shinobi no's blurb says they're headed to the "final battle"......take that as you will.

I'm only halfway through it right now, but I really like Zeno --more like, I actually really like the heroine so far --she's been a pleasant surprise. More when I get the entry up on Tuesday, though I'm sure people will have found the first chapter before then.
Noo, please do not take my ninja grandpa away. But then it might have been intended to be a short manga from the very beginning. Maybe they are going for a heroic ending where he dies together with the old Japan. Followed by an epilogue about how he was a relict of times long gone and how Japan has to move on to the future.
I still hope it's only this arc that is ending.

All those series ending with a bunch of new ones lined up feels a little bit like that time when almost everything was axed for their anniversary.

Torca

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Does Ariadne get cover for the start or just lead color page?

With Rinne ending and Shinobi no being on the last fight (I hope not) the new Hata and Matsuena series could be a lot closer than I thought. Pretty shocking ending and start of the new year in Sunday, I would say. I like that though, hope my favourite newbies or some similar faces will come in Winter
Noo, please do not take my ninja grandpa away. But then it might have been intended to be a short manga from the very beginning. Maybe they are going for a heroic ending where he dies together with the old Japan. Followed by an epilogue about how he was a relict of times long gone and how Japan has to move on to the future.
I still hope it's only this arc that is ending.

All those series ending with a bunch of new ones lined up feels a little bit like that time when almost everything was axed for their anniversary.
I also have a feeling that Rokurou was on the case that if he hits with Shinobi no he can make it longer but he would be pleased to end it as a short series still I hope NOT. I love cool grandpa action! As I said multiple times anyone that likes this will love Silver Wolf Blood Bone from Ura Sunday.

GUESS WHAT! 60th anniversary is coming, tradition goes that it's celebrated year before if it's 'big enough' number at least that how it was for 50th anniversary back in 2008. If anything will happen it'll be announced in #15-16 issue because they're closest to the date.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also I forgot to mention but Arata could be moving to Manga One/Ura Sunday. Now the Remastered edition are released as volumes but she directly asked on twitter if people are fine with it being published on Magna One. This could mean that just remastered edition would go there but if she catches up to where she left Arata here... Double serializations aren't strange but given she was meant to be back Summer this year it could be the ending for this story in main mag at least.

Last edited:

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker

Good lord, is any of the magazine going to be left in a few months?
This really wasn't very good, so I think it's for the best it's ending. And it wasn't successful in the slightest and not even a 75 episode anime managed to boost the sales. She is a legend and she'll be fine, maybe her next serialization will be better if she still wants to be a mangaka, maybe she'll do a monthly series from now on though.

Edit: It might even be reaching it's natural conclusion since it is pretty long.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
thinking emoji
The long anime was definitely because of NHK. Maybe the ratings were better than usual, but I don't know. The manga volumes sure didn't sell that much from what I remember.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my Sunday. We need hits and now. I really hope this is Hidenori time to shine.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
The long anime was definitely because of NHK. Maybe the ratings were better than usual, but I don't know. The manga volumes sure didn't sell that much from what I remember.
Volume sales aside, the anime itself was decently successful given the second season was able to make the top 10 TV ratings twice at 3.0% and 2.7%. It seems reasonable to think based on these ratings that it was around this range for most of the season or at least in the 2.5% area. That already puts it above the other huge amount of TV Tokyo weekday anime. Even if its NHK, they won't fund 3 seasons of 2 cours each set to air during primetime on Saturday if it didn't bring in a decent amount of money.

The manga sales however are a different story and while I haven't read Rinne and thus can't comment on it, I don't think Takahashi is troubled by this at all given all her series put together have around 200 million copies in print. Sunday should however let her go to bring in young talents as Takahashi is a pillar from bygone eras. She has to be pretty set in the way she writes and its possible that that isn't what readers want to read.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Volume sales aside, the anime itself was decently successful given the second season was able to make the top 10 TV ratings twice at 3.0% and 2.7%. It seems reasonable to think based on these ratings that it was around this range for most of the season or at least in the 2.5% area. That already puts it above the other huge amount of TV Tokyo weekday anime. Even if its NHK, they won't fund 3 seasons of 2 cours each set to air during primetime on Saturday if it didn't bring in a decent amount of money.

The manga sales however are a different story and while I haven't read Rinne and thus can't comment on it, I don't think Takahashi is troubled by this at all given all her series put together have around 200 million copies in print. Sunday should however let her go to bring in young talents as Takahashi is a pillar from bygone eras. She has to be pretty set in the way she writes and its possible that that isn't what readers want to read.
So I did remember something about the ratings, yeah, they were decent then, but yes they should've tried to flourish some young talent instead way earlier in her slot, it's biting them in the butt now.

As I said, she's a legend, she will be fine, let her go to a monthly magazine or whatever. The author of Negima did something similar (but UQ Holder is from Kodansha and does sell significantly better than Rinne on a volume to volume basis)

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

Good lord, is any of the magazine going to be left in a few months?
So it's going to end just short of hitting 400 chapters (at 398 if the most recent raw I'm finding is accurate)? I don't even read the series, but that just bothers my OCD lol. With this bit of news, that basically confirms that WSS is really going to try hard to shake up the lineup early on this coming year like WSM did last year. Hopefully they'll find more success than WSM did since most of their new series from the end of 2016/early 2017 died out within half a year.

To to summarize leaving:
Ending in a fixed number of chapters: Hiiragi-sama wa jibun wo sagashiteru, Kyoukai no RINNE
Phrase "final battle" has been used: Tenshou no Quadrable (volume 2 indicates dead), Shinobi no (more of a toss-up)
Final arc: Zettai Karen Children
Essentially dead (I don't believe these were explicitly stated final arcs): Meteor Girl (volume 2 indicates dead)
More likely than not dead: Daiku no Hatou (this one may just squeak by with all these other endings/cancellations, but it sticks close to the bottom of the TOC and doesn't sell well from what I can tell)

So I'd say 6 (7 if they axe Daiku) are going to be out within the first quarter of 2018. I don't know anything about Zettai, so maybe the final arc will drag out for a while, I'm just basing this assumption off what I've seen on here. We have 5 new series (3 within the first 3 issues & 2 that are probably coming not long afterwards) plus that short at the end of the TOC. These comings and goings almost balance out, so either a couple in the "leaving" may be spared, or there are some more new series planned but not announced for a roughly mid-to-end of first quarter release (maybe by some rookies). Needless to say, I'm interested to see where this goes.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Sounds great, this magazine is getting seriously revitalized next year and they need it with Magi ending. Let's see if they can find some new successful series, this recent chain of announcements does have a lot of things that have caught my interest, that's for sure.

I hope most of the new things will get translated.....

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds great, this magazine is getting seriously revitalized next year and they need it with Magi ending. Let's see if they can find some new successful series, this recent chain of announcements does have a lot of things that have caught my interest, that's for sure.

I hope most of the new things will get translated.....
Although none of the described 3 series really jump out at me, I also hope at least 1 will be the new hit that they're looking for. I know the majorly popular series tend to be some form of action/adventure shonen, which would be super beneficial for WSS. Weekly Shonen Magazine tried doing this last year, but the majority didn't really have any success, and those that did were pretty good to passable to best.

That being said, everything I'm actively following seems like it's doing decently to really well. None of them particularly seem like they're getting ready to end, and the most recent sales figures were pretty good. Maiko is the type of series that could end at any moment without really having that "rushed end/axed" feeling, but I think the editors are satisfied with how it has been doing and let it continue on for a while more.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Plus besides those three, with recent news we'll be getting some more stuff as well.

Maiko is actually an ideal manga for a magazine, it's short, so it doesn't occupy that much space and it also sells better than most of the other stuff from the magazine (25k per volume I think).

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
It's also good because it doesn't have any direct competition in any other shounen mag. Even though there are other comfy gourmet manga Maiko is quite unique in it's approach without any romance, its realism and with specific theme in Maiko-Geiko job. A rare thing to find harmony with all of this in a manga put in a shounen demographic magazine.

Upon all of the new manga we will most likely get, I still find lack of anime towards some of our series. Amano since it's so close to reaching 10th volume, Be Blues and Komi-san deserve adaptations.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plus besides those three, with recent news we'll be getting some more stuff as well.

Maiko is actually an ideal manga for a magazine, it's short, so it doesn't occupy that much space and it also sells better than most of the other stuff from the magazine (25k per volume I think).
Oh wow, that's better than I had thought it was doing. It looks like it's selling right around or a tad under the amount that most of the romcoms and comedies (besides Komi and Dagashi) in WSS are selling. Knowing that, I feel much more confident about its longevity.
It's also good because it doesn't have any direct competition in any other shounen mag. Even though there are other comfy gourmet manga Maiko is quite unique in it's approach without any romance, its realism and with specific theme in Maiko-Geiko job. A rare thing to find harmony with all of this in a manga put in a shounen demographic magazine.

Upon all of the new manga we will most likely get, I still find lack of anime towards some of our series. Amano since it's so close to reaching 10th volume, Be Blues and Komi-san deserve adaptations.
That's why I started reading it in the first place. I already follow a few different cooking series, but it is fascinating to learn more about Maiko/Geiko culture, especially with how it is being maintained in modern times. Plus, it's always a positive thing that the main characters are easy to like and root for.

I'd have to agree with that list for potential upcoming anime adaptations you gave, although I would probably add Maoujou to that list. It was recently picked up for an official English release, plus it has a colorful, zany fantasy environment that is very visually appealing. I could picture it getting a half-length adaptation, with each episode being about as long as Tsurezure Children or Aho Girl were this past season.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue #01 (2018)

Pretty good premiere for the year. Xeno seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun and way different than Conan which is it's real competition --plus with Nanatsuki's name on it, I'm sure it'll last at least a little while.

So it's going to end just short of hitting 400 chapters (at 398 if the most recent raw I'm finding is accurate)? I don't even read the series, but that just bothers my OCD lol. With this bit of news, that basically confirms that WSS is really going to try hard to shake up the lineup early on this coming year like WSM did last year. Hopefully they'll find more success than WSM did since most of their new series from the end of 2016/early 2017 died out within half a year.

To to summarize leaving:
Ending in a fixed number of chapters: Hiiragi-sama wa jibun wo sagashiteru, Kyoukai no RINNE
Phrase "final battle" has been used: Tenshou no Quadrable (volume 2 indicates dead), Shinobi no (more of a toss-up)
Final arc: Zettai Karen Children
Essentially dead (I don't believe these were explicitly stated final arcs): Meteor Girl (volume 2 indicates dead)
More likely than not dead: Daiku no Hatou (this one may just squeak by with all these other endings/cancellations, but it sticks close to the bottom of the TOC and doesn't sell well from what I can tell)

So I'd say 6 (7 if they axe Daiku) are going to be out within the first quarter of 2018. I don't know anything about Zettai, so maybe the final arc will drag out for a while, I'm just basing this assumption off what I've seen on here. We have 5 new series (3 within the first 3 issues & 2 that are probably coming not long afterwards) plus that short at the end of the TOC. These comings and goings almost balance out, so either a couple in the "leaving" may be spared, or there are some more new series planned but not announced for a roughly mid-to-end of first quarter release (maybe by some rookies). Needless to say, I'm interested to see where this goes.
After reading Daiku this week, it does seem like they're allowing Kusaba a bit of time to come to a conclusion rather than rushing him out. MG on the other hand does seem to be on the fast track. I agree with you on everything else pretty much --Zettai ain't going anywhere until it's done, and Shinobi no seems to be in this mode of "It could end here but there could be more."

Amano seems to be a sho-in for one, while people assume Viz picked up Maoujo because it'll get one soon. Personal feelings aside, I hope they both get it. I don't cover Maiko cause the scanslations are super good for it, but I quite like it each week when I read, so I'm pleased it's managing to do so well without having a hook like drama or romance.

Oh wow, that's better than I had thought it was doing. It looks like it's selling right around or a tad under the amount that most of the romcoms and comedies (besides Komi and Dagashi) in WSS are selling. Knowing that, I feel much more confident about its longevity.

That's why I started reading it in the first place. I already follow a few different cooking series, but it is fascinating to learn more about Maiko/Geiko culture, especially with how it is being maintained in modern times. Plus, it's always a positive thing that the main characters are easy to like and root for.

I'd have to agree with that list for potential upcoming anime adaptations you gave, although I would probably add Maoujou to that list. It was recently picked up for an official English release, plus it has a colorful, zany fantasy environment that is very visually appealing. I could picture it getting a half-length adaptation, with each episode being about as long as Tsurezure Children or Aho Girl were this past season.
Of course I'd super like Saike to get one, but that's unlikely --at this point just rooting for it's survival is the best thing I can do, though Fukuchi's already overcome his high score, so even if it ends soon it'll still be more successful than his other series.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue #01 (2018)

Pretty good premiere for the year. Xeno seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun and way different than Conan which is it's real competition --plus with Nanatsuki's name on it, I'm sure it'll last at least a little while.
I agree it was also a pretty good issue, although I must admit that Xeno doesn't really seem like my sort of thing (which isn't too surprising). The artwork did seem pretty good in some spots, but then some of the faces or head shapes seemed oddly proportioned. Even though it's different than Conan, it'll be interesting if both series will be able to co-exist considering Conan's massive dominance in the magazine.

I thought that the Evans chapter was particularly strong this issue, as has been the case with this whole arc. Given the lightheartedness of the series, it was pretty obvious that our heroes wouldn't die, but the author still managed to create tension and even include some events with long-lasting consequence. While I really like the episodic chapters, I hope every so often we can get a 3-5 chapter mini-arc like this. Amano, Komi, and Maoujou also had some pretty strong chapters this week.

Tenshi was cute. I know you're not liking the shift towards romance, but I think it being the primary focus will only be temporary for the time being. They've just moved it to the primary focus since she just came to the realization of her love. Dagashi was also filled with some nice shenanigans. KOI looks like it's about to set up some drama between the rival and the rival's rival, plus something weird happening to the IOS, should be interesting. Maiko was super simple and wholesome this week. Not too sure how I feel about the last few Hatsukoi chapters. Much like Yuragi, I always feel a bit of tension reading each chapter knowing the best girl of the series could just vanish into thin air never to be seen again.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Sunday page lagged and we got sneak peak of what will be in the 3rd issue sooner lul.
Mary Grave will not get cover only lead colour page and 3 idols from Nogizaka 46 will take it.
Rinne will get a colour page and have 29 pages, Ariadne gets cp for 2nd chapter and Xeno gets one too for 3rd chapter in addition it'll also be 23 pages long.
Detective Conan spin off - Hannin no Hansawa-san will get a special chapter with colour page, Yugami-kun comes for a monthly visit and Conan is still on break.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sunday page lagged and we got sneak peak of what will be in the 3rd issue sooner lul.
Mary Grave will not get cover only lead colour page and 3 idols from Nogizaka 46 will take it.
Rinne will get a colour page and have 29 pages, Ariadne gets cp for 2nd chapter and Xeno gets one too for 3rd chapter in addition it'll also be 23 pages long.
Detective Conan spin off - Hannin no Hansawa-san will get a special chapter with colour page, Yugami-kun comes for a monthly visit and Conan is still on break.
Nice find. Yeah Conan's not in the lineup *again*. Ariadne's preview sounds interesting at least --they're headed toward a flying city. Though geez, is Aoyama okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.