Discussion - Earth Land Mages-ULTIMATE MAGIC RANKING (FINALE) | Page 25 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Earth Land Mages-ULTIMATE MAGIC RANKING (FINALE)

Favorite rating so far?

• Total voters

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
!!!... was celestial spirit magic already done?
It’s still in. I can promise you that if you saw the post, you would remember it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The best spell in entire series:confused: I will kill you :hi

In the previous post it was the worst spell :gwah
Cuz @MLG Bradman likes the paralysis, but I find roar/bellow/rage breath attacks to be redundant and overused. Star Wars fan tho.... :derp

And really I said Red lightning was the worst spell
:celebrate

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Acnologia was excluded too. But then again. He made a better dragon then slayer.
That, plus you can't really do an in-depth look at his magic since... well, he's resistant to all magic and has no named spells bar Eternal Flare. He's just too broken, so broken you can't analyse his powers properly IMO.
The best spell in entire series:confused: I will kill you :hi
"MLG Bradman"

Can't kill someone if they're already dead.

In the previous post it was the worst spell :gwah
Like Jinx said, paralysis is a favourite of mine. Too bad Hiro never used it in the later arcs...

Cat Sidhe26

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
No doubt, it is the shitest thing in the vers :teach:celebrate
Now now lets not start a shit storm over the Red Lightning because at this point it's getting old just to keep getting salty about it.
Oh wow oh wow this is such a plot twist lol. I thought it would be top 5 or top 3
Well I'm actually happy Dragon Slayer Magic is out since it doesn't need to go any farther in this ranking, it should have been out along time ago.

Last edited:

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
What the actual F is this?

DS magic consisted of several Slayers and I don't get why Acno and Irene were even excluded from it since they are DS as well. You can't pick and choose DS magic which is why included all of them in my vote.

Anyhow this is the only magic in the series that can pierce a Dragon Scales. It's the only slayer magic that had the need and purpose throughout the story. You can take a God down without GS Magic, and you can take out a Demon without DeS Magic, but you needed Dragon Slaying Magic to actually beat a Dragon.

Dragons were an unstoppable and unbeatable force for mankind to try and beat. Mankind was at the brim of extinction as they were losing the war to save humanity until one day a woman came up with an idea to help the friendly Dragons win the the war. She wanted her best friend, who was a Dragon, to enchant her with the power to slay Dragons. She, Irene Belserion, led to creation of Dragon Slaying Magic and that idea led to the strongest being in the entire Fairy Tail verse. His name was recorded in the history as the Dragon who brought upon the apocalypse. Seeing his jet black wings and his ability to destroy countries at a whim shook everyone to the core. This being was not even counted amongst a being he was a phenomenon that could not be stop. He was the sole winner of the Dragon War 400 years ago, and he made the Dragons go extinct. That Dragon Slayer turned Dragon was Acnologia who was the most badass character in the series.

Now that the awesome history of DS magic is over lets get to the modes.

Drive a mode that gives a minimal amp. It's Dragon Force lite which I thought had potential if Hiro didn't just seemingly forget about it for the rest of his manga.

Dual Mode was so fudging hype during Tenrou. I don't give a F if it was BS asspull the design of the elements combining and the executions of the dual elements was clean af. That mode was so hype every time I saw it I knew some big shit was gonna happen.

Dragon Force was the transformation of epic proportions. The ability not only gives you the characteristics of a Dragon while you stay in a humanoid form but also increases all stats by at least three times your maximum. It was the Super Saiyan transformation of Fairy Tail and it was that force that gave you chills because you know the hero is about to lay the beat down.

The spells that set them apart were a Dragon Slayers Secret Art which were their best spells. Secret Arts were a treat to always see. Crimson Lotus Phoenix Edge Blade, and Shattering Light Sky Drill were my favorite.

Combined techs like the Twins Holy Shadow Fang were awesome as well.

Fire DS had the ability to incinerate anything in its path. A super powerful magic that utilizes the depths of Fire Magic. This magic has another named which is the Flames of Emotion which uses emotions to fuel the power of his Fire Magic. This guy is basically the Hulk of the FTverse as the more emotions (typically anger) the more powerful he becomes. The Flames of Emotions you can say is the reverse of the Curse of Contradictions. Be it Magic, Nothingness, Death, or even Space-time it would be burned away by the ferocious flames. It was given a King Class Title among Dragons as well. I love the element of Fire and it even is my top 3 elements.

White DS had the ability to encompass anything that is White be it Light or Holy anything that is White will be eaten by him. He had some dazzling spells in his arsenal and unlike the roar of a regular Dragon which is focused on widespread destruction, his is a laser that focuses on piercing damage to land a lethal blow. Sting demonstrates his magic is meant for lethal and fast attacks which is what you expect of a guy with ability to use light. But he does have some cool abilities like Holy Stigmata which traps the target in paralysis. I wish we saw him use it more but you know Hiro he was forgetting practically everything everyone has done the past few arcs.

Shadow DS had the ability to manipulate and become the shadows itself. A magic that is stellar for it's maneuverability, and sneaky ability to move in and out of the world of Shadows. Though this magic unlike the other Dragon Slaying magic has a major downside and that is the magic feeds on your insecurities and doubts. Your shadow will try to take over you and tempt you into the darkness. Even Rogue who was more on the lines of nice Saber even under the rule of Jeimma was tempted throughout the series by his own shadow. The Shadow does come with a big increase in power, but is power worth losing everything of yourself? Something about using a double edge magic is always fun to think of as it makes you reflect on the choices you'd choose. This magic is pretty awesome and can be super powerful.

Sky DS is so cool as well. The ability to harness wind itself and perform miraclous feats with it. It not only has a good arsenal of offensive moves but it really shines with it support abilities. Wendy has the ability to heal and relieve fatigue by using her Sky DS magic. Her Sky DS also gives her great enchanting feats as well. She can greatly increase the stats of herself or others with her Sky enchantments. Sky DS also has the ability to fly without the use of an exceed, and it seems to be one of the more speedy type magics in the manga as well. Wendy also read air currents and sense the changes in the weather with her DS ability. Wind is my other top 3 favorite element. it has so many applications and who wouldn't want to create big tornadoes?

Sage DS was not really expanded upon but it seems to heighten magic tremendously and is very align with enchantment magic.

Magic DS is just bonkers lol. He can eat and learn any magic with this magic. It's unknown how the heck he learn this ability but dang the ability to use any type of magic is crazy.

Iron DS is boring lol. Maybe if it was Magnetic DS or Mineral DS but Iron alone is just boring.

Lightning DS; the ability to use Lightning. It could've been utilize so much more than shown and it's the last of my fave 3 element lol.

Poison just never utilize effectively either.

8 Dragon DS was pure epicness. He can utilize wind, earth, fire, and water, but somehow Mashima forgot to include his other four elements. But man it was so cool how he combining his elements. That was epic. Also I wanted to see the power of an Earth and Water Dragon since we never really got to see them.

Natsu is the only one who didn't combine with the shadows lmao.

I am just wow this magic was not included into the top 5. This is just an atrocity.
"Because there are so many users of DS magic, we will include them all in the write up. But we will make a poll where you guys vote for the best of the bunch, the top 3 will get an extended look in the write up"
- @Emperor Spriggan

Originally I was only going to do three extended write ups, however...

Considering the importance of Dragon Slaying Magic, t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶e̶r̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶, and the sheer elemental variety it has, I figure it would be a waste to not do eight in-depth write-ups!

This is a long post folks, hope you enjoy!

DRAGON SLAYING MAGIC

Users: Irene Belserion (Creator)
Natsu Dragneel, Gajeel Redfox, Wendy Marvell and Acnologia (1st generation)
Laxus Dreyar, Erik/Cobra, God Serena (2nd generation)
Sting Eucliffe and Rogue Cheney (3rd generation)

Average Score: 8.350
Highest Scores: 12 x 1(@Raijin 雷神)
11 x 6(@Arjuna, @First Devilslayer, @DiMaria Yesta, @Doughboy, @Linali, @Jko)
Lowest Scores: 2 x 2(@Tirl, @Miralicious akuma)

Dragon Slaying Magic is a type of Lost Caster Magic that was originally created by Irene Belserion to help turn the tide of the war during the Dragon King Festival, as regular Magic could barely scratch the scales of a mighty Dragon. The Magic was an amazing success, with the humans and pro-human Dragons managing to influence the war to the point that victory appeared possible. However, this Magic came with three grave side effects:

- It gave the users crippling motion sickness due to the dissonance between their human bodies and draconian senses
- The sheer power the Magic gave some users ended up corrupting them
- Every Dragon Slayer was planted with a Dragon Seed, something which would inevitably and irreversibly turn them into a Dragon

The second and third of these side effects is what ultimately led to the annihilation of the Dragon race, as they culminated in the birth of the infamous Dragon King, Acnologia. The power the pro-human Dragons gifted to humans was later abused by anti-Dragon humans to wipe them out... ironic.

There are only two ways to learn Dragon Slaying Magic: the user either has to be taught by a Dragon directly or they have to implant a Dragon Lacrima into their own body. These methods of learning created three terms:
  1. Those taught the Magic by a Dragon are referred to as 1st generation Dragon Slayers
  2. Those who access the Magic via a Dragon Lacrima implant are referred to as 2nd generation Dragon Slayers
  3. And finally, those who have both learned directly from a Dragon and posses a Dragon Lacrima implant are referred to as 3rd generation Dragon Slayers.

Due to the fact that Dragon Lacrimas are extremely rare, and live Dragons being even rarer, this Magic is classified as Lost Magic. Dragon Slaying Magic largely revolves around allowing the user to change and transform their body into that of a Dragon's, with users being able to adopt various aspects of their elements (more on that later).

The final and ultimate step of Dragon Slaying Magic reflects this, this final step of course being Dragon Force. When a Slayer enters this mode their skin transforms into scales, their physical capabilities are drastically improved and their sheer magical might skyrockets. Two ways of entering Dragon Force have been shown, one of them relating to 1st generation Dragon Slayers and one of them being exclusive to 3rd generation Dragon Slayers before the Alvarez arc.

The first way for a 1st generation Slayer to enter Dragon Force is by eating a source of their element that has a high level of Ethernano in them. This has been shown four times, with Natsu entering Dragon Force in the Tower of Heaven by eating Etherion-infused Lacrima and later entering it beat Zero on Nirvana by eating Jellal Fernandes' Flame of Rebuke. Wendy Marvell first entered Dragon Force by eating Ethernano abundant air near a FACE bomb. Lastly, Gajeel Redfox entered Dragon Force in his fight with Bradman after consuming Magic Barrier Particles which contained trace amounts of iron.

The second way for a 1st generation Dragon Slayer to enter Dragon Force is through training. Though no specific training is ever seen, both Natsu and Wendy have entered Dragon Force at will during the Alvarez arc. 3rd generation Dragon Slayers have always been capable of this, though it is not known whether this relates to their Dragon Lacrima in any way or whether they simply received additional training.

Though there are Dragon Slayers such as Irene Belserion who have non-elemental Dragon Slayer Magic, and the exceptional case of Acnologia who has a Dragon Soul stealing technique and can eat all forms of Magic, most Dragon Slayers have a unique elemental variant of Dragon Slaying Magic. The main seven we see are:

Fire Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Natsu Dragneel
Taught by: Igneel
Dual Mode: Lightning Fire Dragon Mode

Fire Dragon Slaying Magic allows its user to wield and control the element of fire. It also grants them an absurd level of resistance to fire and heat based attacks, best shown when Natsu Dragneel survived August Dragneel's Melt spell, though it should be noted that he was teleported out of the attack before it finished. Fire Dragon Slayers can also consume their element, with it restoring their strength, though they cannot consume the flames that they themselves produce. An interesting aspect of Fire Dragon Slaying Magic is the Flames of Emotion, which make the flames produced by a Fire Dragon Slayer hotter the more emotional they are, with these flames even being able to burn through high level magic .

If a user of this Magic somehow manages to consume lightning, they will enter Lightning Fire Dragon Mode, where the destructive properties of both Magics mix, providing the user access to a deadly offensive toolkit.

In extremely rare circumstances, users of this magic can enter 'Fire Dragon King Mode'. This was obtained by Natsu when Igneel died, as the Fire Dragon King gave the human the remnants of his power. When first used, this mode had enough power to potentially kill the immortal Zeref. Even though subsequent uses were not anywhere near as powerful, it was still enough to make the user a serious threat to the Spriggans.

Best Spell

Secret Art: Crimson Lotus: Phoenix Blade

It looks badass and managed to significantly damage Mard Geer, the Etherious known for his unnatural durability.

Worst Spell

Fire Dragon's Iron Fist

There's nothing too bad about this spell, it just got boring later on in the manga IMO.

Iron Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Gajeel Redfox
Taught by: Metalicana
Dual Mode: Iron Shadow Dragon Mode

The most naturally defensive Dragon Slaying Magic, Iron Dragon Slaying Magic allows the wielder to use and control the element of iron. This includes abilities from transforming limbs into iron weapons, turning skin into iron scales and even roaring a tornado of iron shrapnel. It also allows the user to eat iron to replenish their strength, and grants them a resistance to any iron-based attacks. Interestingly, it also grants the mage an immense resistance to Magic Barrier Particles, as their metal lungs are largely unaffected by the toxic substances.

If an Iron Dragon Slayer manages to eat shadows, they will be granted Iron Shadow Dragon Mode. While in this mode the user can abuse the signature intangibility of Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic, using the shadows to get close to targets, ambush them and mitigate damage.

Best Spell

Iron Dragon's Scales

This is on the opposite side of the scale in relation to Fire Dragon's Iron Fist: it wasn't used enough. Not only is the spell cool looking, but it significantly improves Gajeel's defense and offense at the same time. Despite its short amount of panel time, its versatility and all-round usefulness should be recognised.

Worst Spell

Iron Dragon's Sword

While its not a bad spell when it comes to effect, since this spell is actually a good defense and offense, there's just something lacking in the visual department for me.

Lightning Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Laxus Dreyar
Taught by: N/A
Dual Mode: N/A

Lightning Dragon Slaying Magic allows the practitioner to use and consume the element of lightning. One of the most destructive Dragon Slaying Magics, this variation has the added side effect of possible paralysis when attacks land on target. This creates an effective combo: strike with a fast blow first, then follow up with a heavy hitting attack before the opponent can move again.

Best Spell

Lightning Dragon's Roar

While not being the best spell visually, its effect is pretty hax. So long as the roar connects and the target survives, it paralyses them. This is incredibly useful considering how powerful some of the other Lightning Dragon Slaying spells are, as the user can hit the target with a roar and then follow up with something like Raging Bolt.

Worst Spell

Lightning Dragon's Heavenward Halberd

Not a bad spell, I just prefer the others.

Sky Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Wendy Marvell
Taught by: Grandeeney

Sky Dragon Slaying Magic is the one of the most supportive magics in the series, making use of a range of spells. These spells vary from dealing damage to healing, though notably the user can't heal themselves, only others. Regardless though, this magics strong aptitude for support is bolstered by spells that increase the speed, strength and endurance of allies. Like all forms of Dragon Slaying Magic, Sky Dragon Slaying Magic allows its practitioner to eat an element to restore their strength, in this case being air. I don't think I need to explain why that's broken in comparison to the other forms of elemental Slaying Magic.

Best Spell

Shattering Light: Sky Drill

This is easily the best looking spell in a Sky Dragon Slayer's arsenal to me, it also gets points for covering the usually weak offense of the Magic.

Worst Spell

Milky Way

While it is an interesting spell, this magic has literally no uses in combat. And even outside of combat, the circumstances needed for this spell to be useful are just way too specific.

Poison Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Erik (AKA Cobra)

Poison Dragon Slaying Magic revolves around infecting an enemy with the Magic's poison, which slowly steals away movement and eventually kills. Suitably, the spells of this Magic employ either direct physical contact with poison covered claws or poison gas clouds. It should be noted that these poison clouds are seemingly 'tangible', being able to hurt enemies via physical contact. As with all elemental variants of Dragon Slaying Magic, mages who use this form can consume poison to restore their strength and are granted an inhuman resistance to poisonous substances. Curiously, when a mage begins using this magic their hands gain scales and their fingers gain claws, something unique to this brand of Dragon Slaying Magic.

Best Spell

Poison Dragon's Roar

Since Poison Dragon Slaying Magic relies on inflicting its victim with poison, a large AoE attack fits perfectly.

Worst Spell

Poison Dragon's Twin Fang

This spell is here because its the only other named non-anime spell this magic has. In actuality its pretty decent, though if I'm being really picky I do find it odd that Poison Dragon Slaying Magic has non-AoE spells like this.

White Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Sting Eucliffe
Taught by: Weisslogia
Dual Mode: White Shadow Dragon Mode

White Dragon Slaying Magic is somewhat unique compared to its siblings in that it is much more general. This is to say, the user gains a huge resistance to and can eat literally anything that is white to regain strength. This includes forms of Light Magic, presumably forms of Snow Magic, and ranges to more miscellaneous things such as white flowers. In addition to this, it also takes a page from Lightning Dragon Slaying Magic, as one of its most basic spells (White Dragon's Claw) also has a paralysis effect, though it works differently. Something else that makes White Dragon Slaying Magic unique is the ability for its user to enter a Drive Mode, with the only other Dragon Slaying Magic to offer this being Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic. When in Drive Mode a White Dragon Slayer's physical stats are improved, with the mage becoming much faster and stronger. It also surrounds them with a glowing aura.

When a White Dragon Slayer eats shadows they enter White Shadow Dragon Mode. Upon entering this, the Slayer gains the ability to abuse the signature intangibility of Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic, using the shadows to move around the battlefield, launch attacks and mitigate damage.

Best Spell

Holy Ray

You'll see in the comments section that one of my main gripes with Dragon Slaying Magic is its lack of ranged spells, hence why Holy Ray is here. It looks epic, its a decently powerful attack and its got a great AoE, what's not to love?

Worst Spell

White Dragon's Roar

I like this spell but the existence of White Dragon's Holy Breath makes this roar redundant. Sure its quicker to cast than Holy Breath, but only by what, two seconds? Given how much more powerful Holy Breath is I just don't know why you would use White Dragon's Roar instead.

Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Rogue Cheney
Taught by: Skiadrum

Like its name suggests, Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic allows its user to manipulate shadows to their advantage. This brings an amazing level of versatility not seen in the other standard Dragon Slaying Magics. Users can enter the shadows to quickly and sneakily move around the battlefield, they can use shadows to trick opponents in to exposing themselves, and they can even momentarily turn themselves into shadows to mitigate damage. As with the other Dragon Slaying Magics, users of this Magic can eat shadows to replenish themselves. Much like White Dragon Slaying Magic, this Magic allows the user to enter a Drive Mode, which surrounds them in an aura of shadows and boosts their speed and strength.

If a Shadow Dragon Slayer consumes the light of a White Dragon Slayer, they enter White Shadow Dragon Mode. This performs almost identically to how I detailed White Shadow Dragon Mode above, though Future Rogue did show off some interesting skills with this mode that Sting Eucliffe did not. First of all, this version of White Shadow Dragon Mode let him pull victims into the World of Shadows. It also let him turn himself into a beam of light, though he only demonstrated this skill whilst performing White Shadow Dragon's Sword Horn. Lastly, he showed off a degree of shadow manipulation unmatched in the series, being able to form his shadows into blades that could pierce and kill people.

Best Spell

Shadow Dragon's Waxwing Flash

Not only does this look good, but its easily the most powerful spell in this Magic's arsenal.

Worst Spell

Shadow Dragon's Roar

While I usually praise ranged Dragon Slaying techniques, we literally never saw the strength of this spell.

So those are the main seven variants of elemental Dragon Slayer Magic... however, there is one path of Dragon Slaying Magic that dwarfs the rest in terms of elemental variety. I am of course referring to...

HYBRID THEORY

User: God Serena
Dual mode: Get on my level, bitch

"Hybrid Theory", as dubbed by August, was God Serena's use of eight forms of Dragon Slaying Magic. We sadly only got to see three of these in action, and only having being teased with a fourth spell. Even with this limited view of Hybrid Theory though, it still proves itself a broken collection of magics when you consider what elements it contains: Fire, Earth, Water and Air. So not only does Hybrid Theory have incredible versatility in regards to offense, but a user of this gains a colossal resistance to four very common elements and can use said very common elements to restore their strength by consuming them. Essentially, a user of Hybrid Theory is an Avatar that can replenish their strength nigh endlessly due to how common their elements are. That, my friends, is overpowered as hell. No wonder Hiro killed Goddy off...

Best Spells

Cavern Dragon's Earth Destruction

Hiro didn't use Earth Magic enough, this was such a cool spell in terms of disruption.

Sea King Dragon's Encircling Deluge

Rule of Cool, Water Magic is great and Goddy's form of Water Dragon Slaying Magic didn't disappoint.

Worst Spell

Gale Dragon's Song of the Wind and Moon

Just let him use the damn spell Hiro!

Comments Section!

@Jko and @Takuan are of the same mind, Dragon Force > your fav slayer magic:
You know, you're right @MarmaladeSky:
@Belserion is triggered:

^ You IRL? :heh
@kira gives us his scores for each element:
Light only getting a 5? Shame on you. :nah
As for myself, I seem to mostly agree with @Crescent_jinxgrace:
@Arjuna is a fan:
On the other hand I'll let @Emperor Spriggan speak for himself:
I can see what you mean, I personally thought the Twin Dragons would be red herrings, with the Dragon Slayers being curbed by Acnologia, only to be saved by the one and only, Orga!
@Elusia and @DiMaria Yesta both acknowledge the power of this magic, though Elusia thought better of it prior to Alvarez:

________________________________________________________________________________

I hid a Star Wars reference in this post, anyone who can PM me what it was gets to know the next elimination! No sharing once you know though! :kappa

WE'RE APPROACHING THE TOP 5!

WHICH MAGIC SHALL FALL SHORT OF THE ELITE LIST?!

@MLG Bradman such a great post man. This is your best one yet!

Last edited:

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore

DS magic consisted of several Slayers and I don't get why Acno and Irene were even excluded from it since they are DS as well. You can't pick and choose DS magic which is why included all of them in my vote.

Any who this is the only magic in the series that can pierce a Dragon Scales. It's the only slayer magic that had the need and purpose throughout the story. You can take a God down without GS Magic, and you can take out a Demon without DeS Magic, but you needed Dragon Slaying Magic to actually beat a Dragon.

Dragons were an unstoppable and unbeatable force for mankind to try and beat. Mankind was at the brim of extinction as they were losing the war to save humanity until one day a woman came up with an idea to help the friendly Dragons win the the war. She wanted her best friend, who was a Dragon, to enchant her with the power to slay Dragons. She, Irene Belserion, led to creation of Dragon Slaying Magic and that idea led to the strongest being in the entire Fairy Tail verse. His name was recorded in the history as the Dragon who brought upon the apocalypse. Seeing his jet black wings and his ability to destroy countries at a whim shook everyone to the core. This being was not even counted amongst a being he was a phenomenon that could not be stop. He was the sole winner of the Dragon War 400 years ago, and he made the Dragons go extinct. That Dragon Slayer turned Dragon was Acnologia who was the most badass character in the series.

Drive a mode that gives a minimal amp. It's Dragon Force lite which I thought had potential if Hiro didn't just seemingly forget about it for the rest of his manga.

Dual Mode was so fudging hype during Tenrou. I don't give a F if it was BS asspull the design of the elements combining and the executions of the dual elements was clean af. That was mode was hype every time I saw it I knew some big shit was gonna happen.

Dragon Force was the transformation of epic proportions. The ability not only gives you the characteristics of a Dragon while you stay as a humanoid form but also increases all stats by at least three times your maximum. It was the Super Saiyan transformation of Fairy Tail and it was that force that gave you chills because you know the hero is about to lay the beat down.

The spells that set them apart were a Dragon Slayers Secret Art which were their best spells. Secret Arts were a treat to always see. Crimson Lotus Phoenix Edge Blade, and Shattering Light Sky Drill were my favorite.

Fire DS had the ability to incarnate anything in its path. A super powerful magic that utilizes the depths of Fire Magic. This magic has another named which is the Flames of Emotion which uses emotions to fuel the power of his Fire Magic. This guy is basically the Hulk of the FTverse as the more emotions (typically angrier) the more powerful he becomes. The Flames of Emotions you can say is the reverse of the Curse of Contradictions. Be it Magic, Nothingness, Death, or even Space-time it would be burned away by the ferocious flames. It was given a King Class Title among Dragons as well. I love the element of Fire and it even is my top 3 elements.

White DS had the ability to encompass anything that is White be it Light or Holy anything that is White will be eaten by him. He had some dazzling spells in his arsenal and unlike the roar of a regular Dragon which is focused on widespread destruction, his is a laser that focuses on piercing damage to land lethal blows. Sting demonstrates his magic is meant for lethal and fast blows which is what you expect of a guy with ability to use light. But he does have some cool abilities like Holy Stigmata which traps the target in paralysis. I wish we saw him use it more but you know Hiro he was forgetting practically everything everyone has done the past few arcs.

Shadow DS had the ability to manipulate and become the shadows itself. A magic that is stellar for it's maneuverability, and sneaky ability to move in and out of the world of Shadows. Though this magic makes unlike the other Dragon Slaying magic has a major downside and that is the magic feeds on your insecurities and doubts. The shadow of you will try to take over you and tempt you into the darkness. Even Rogue who was more on the lines of nice Saber even under the rule of Jeimma was tempted throughout the series by his own shadow. The Shadow does come with a big increase in power, but is power worth losing everything of yourself? Something about using a double edge magic is always fun to think of as it makes you reflect on the choices you'd choose. This magic is pretty awesome and can be super powerful.

Sky DS is so cool as well. The ability to harness wind itself and perform miraclous feats with it. It not only has a good arsenal of offensive moves but it really shines with it support abilities. Wendy has the ability to heal and relieve fatigue by using her Sky DS magic. Her Sky DS also gives her great enchanting feats as well. She can greatly increase the stats of herself or others with her Sky enchantments. Sky DS also has the ability to fly without the use of an exceed, and it seems to be one of the more speedy type magics in the manga as well. Wendy also read air currents and sense the changes in the weather with her DS ability. Wind is my other top 3 favorite element. it has some many applications and who want to create big tornadoes?

Sage DS was not really expanded upon but it seems to heighten magic tremendously and is very align with enchantment ability.

Magic DS is just bonkers lol. He can eat and learn any magic with this magic. It's unknown how the heck he learn this ability but dang the ability to use any type of magic is crazy.

Iron DS is boring lol. Maybe if it was Magnetic DS or Mineral DS but Iron alone is just boring.

Lightning DS the ability of Lightning can be utilize so much more than shown and it's the my last fave 3 element lol.

8 Dragon DS was pure epicness. He can utilize wind, earth, fire, and water, but somehow Mashima forgot to include his other four elements. But man it was so cool how he combining his elements. That was epic. Also I wanted to see the power of an Earth and Water Dragon since we never really got to see them.

I am just wow this magic was not included into the top 5. This is just an atrocity.

This is good post too @Jko

I never thought of this.

Irene were even exclude
Well her enchantment magic is getting its own elimination plus her enchantment magic was shown more than her slaying ability. Actually it was the only thing shown unless she was the enchanting dragon. But what would you eat with that?

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
"Because there are so many users of DS magic, we will include them all in the write up. But we will make a poll where you guys vote for the best of the bunch, the top 3 will get an extended look in the write up"
- @Emperor Spriggan

Originally I was only going to do three extended write ups, however...

Considering the importance of Dragon Slaying Magic, t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶e̶r̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶, and the sheer elemental variety it has, I figure it would be a waste to not do eight in-depth write-ups!

This is a long post folks, hope you enjoy!

DRAGON SLAYING MAGIC

Users: Irene Belserion (Creator)
Natsu Dragneel, Gajeel Redfox, Wendy Marvell and Acnologia (1st generation)
Laxus Dreyar, Erik/Cobra, God Serena (2nd generation)
Sting Eucliffe and Rogue Cheney (3rd generation)

Average Score: 8.350
Highest Scores: 12 x 1(@Raijin 雷神)
11 x 6(@Arjuna, @First Devilslayer, @DiMaria Yesta, @Doughboy, @Linali, @Jko)
Lowest Scores: 2 x 2(@Tirl, @Miralicious akuma)

Dragon Slaying Magic is a type of Lost Caster Magic that was originally created by Irene Belserion to help turn the tide of the war during the Dragon King Festival, as regular Magic could barely scratch the scales of a mighty Dragon. The Magic was an amazing success, with the humans and pro-human Dragons managing to influence the war to the point that victory appeared possible. However, this Magic came with three grave side effects:

- It gave the users crippling motion sickness due to the dissonance between their human bodies and draconian senses
- The sheer power the Magic gave some users ended up corrupting them
- Every Dragon Slayer was planted with a Dragon Seed, something which would inevitably and irreversibly turn them into a Dragon

The second and third of these side effects is what ultimately led to the annihilation of the Dragon race, as they culminated in the birth of the infamous Dragon King, Acnologia. The power the pro-human Dragons gifted to humans was later abused by anti-Dragon humans to wipe them out... ironic.

There are only two ways to learn Dragon Slaying Magic: the user either has to be taught by a Dragon directly or they have to implant a Dragon Lacrima into their own body. These methods of learning created three terms:
  1. Those taught the Magic by a Dragon are referred to as 1st generation Dragon Slayers
  2. Those who access the Magic via a Dragon Lacrima implant are referred to as 2nd generation Dragon Slayers
  3. And finally, those who have both learned directly from a Dragon and posses a Dragon Lacrima implant are referred to as 3rd generation Dragon Slayers.

Due to the fact that Dragon Lacrimas are extremely rare, and live Dragons being even rarer, this Magic is classified as Lost Magic. Dragon Slaying Magic largely revolves around allowing the user to change and transform their body into that of a Dragon's, with users being able to adopt various aspects of their elements (more on that later).

The final and ultimate step of Dragon Slaying Magic reflects this, this final step of course being Dragon Force. When a Slayer enters this mode their skin transforms into scales, their physical capabilities are drastically improved and their sheer magical might skyrockets. Two ways of entering Dragon Force have been shown, one of them relating to 1st generation Dragon Slayers and one of them being exclusive to 3rd generation Dragon Slayers before the Alvarez arc.

The first way for a 1st generation Slayer to enter Dragon Force is by eating a source of their element that has a high level of Ethernano in them. This has been shown four times, with Natsu entering Dragon Force in the Tower of Heaven by eating Etherion-infused Lacrima and later entering it beat Zero on Nirvana by eating Jellal Fernandes' Flame of Rebuke. Wendy Marvell first entered Dragon Force by eating Ethernano abundant air near a FACE bomb. Lastly, Gajeel Redfox entered Dragon Force in his fight with Bradman after consuming Magic Barrier Particles which contained trace amounts of iron.

The second way for a 1st generation Dragon Slayer to enter Dragon Force is through training. Though no specific training is ever seen, both Natsu and Wendy have entered Dragon Force at will during the Alvarez arc. 3rd generation Dragon Slayers have always been capable of this, though it is not known whether this relates to their Dragon Lacrima in any way or whether they simply received additional training.

Though there are Dragon Slayers such as Irene Belserion who have non-elemental Dragon Slayer Magic, and the exceptional case of Acnologia who has a Dragon Soul stealing technique and can eat all forms of Magic, most Dragon Slayers have a unique elemental variant of Dragon Slaying Magic. The main seven we see are:

Fire Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Natsu Dragneel
Taught by: Igneel
Dual Mode: Lightning Fire Dragon Mode

Fire Dragon Slaying Magic allows its user to wield and control the element of fire. It also grants them an absurd level of resistance to fire and heat based attacks, best shown when Natsu Dragneel survived August Dragneel's Melt spell, though it should be noted that he was teleported out of the attack before it finished. Fire Dragon Slayers can also consume their element, with it restoring their strength, though they cannot consume the flames that they themselves produce. An interesting aspect of Fire Dragon Slaying Magic is the Flames of Emotion, which make the flames produced by a Fire Dragon Slayer hotter the more emotional they are, with these flames even being able to burn through high level magic .

If a user of this Magic somehow manages to consume lightning, they will enter Lightning Fire Dragon Mode, where the destructive properties of both Magics mix, providing the user access to a deadly offensive toolkit.

In extremely rare circumstances, users of this magic can enter 'Fire Dragon King Mode'. This was obtained by Natsu when Igneel died, as the Fire Dragon King gave the human the remnants of his power. When first used, this mode had enough power to potentially kill the immortal Zeref. Even though subsequent uses were not anywhere near as powerful, it was still enough to make the user a serious threat to the Spriggans.

Best Spell

Secret Art: Crimson Lotus: Phoenix Blade

It looks badass and managed to significantly damage Mard Geer, the Etherious known for his unnatural durability.

Worst Spell

Fire Dragon's Iron Fist

There's nothing too bad about this spell, it just got boring later on in the manga IMO.

Iron Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Gajeel Redfox
Taught by: Metalicana
Dual Mode: Iron Shadow Dragon Mode

The most naturally defensive Dragon Slaying Magic, Iron Dragon Slaying Magic allows the wielder to use and control the element of iron. This includes abilities from transforming limbs into iron weapons, turning skin into iron scales and even roaring a tornado of iron shrapnel. It also allows the user to eat iron to replenish their strength, and grants them a resistance to any iron-based attacks. Interestingly, it also grants the mage an immense resistance to Magic Barrier Particles, as their metal lungs are largely unaffected by the toxic substances.

If an Iron Dragon Slayer manages to eat shadows, they will be granted Iron Shadow Dragon Mode. While in this mode the user can abuse the signature intangibility of Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic, using the shadows to get close to targets, ambush them and mitigate damage.

Best Spell

Iron Dragon's Scales

This is on the opposite side of the scale in relation to Fire Dragon's Iron Fist: it wasn't used enough. Not only is the spell cool looking, but it significantly improves Gajeel's defense and offense at the same time. Despite its short amount of panel time, its versatility and all-round usefulness should be recognised.

Worst Spell

Iron Dragon's Sword

While its not a bad spell when it comes to effect, since this spell is actually a good defense and offense, there's just something lacking in the visual department for me.

Lightning Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Laxus Dreyar

Lightning Dragon Slaying Magic allows the practitioner to use and consume the element of lightning. One of the most destructive Dragon Slaying Magics, this variation has the added side effect of possible paralysis when attacks land on target. This creates an effective combo: strike with a fast blow first, then follow up with a heavy hitting attack before the opponent can move again.

Best Spell

Lightning Dragon's Roar

While not being the best spell visually, its effect is pretty hax. So long as the roar connects and the target survives, it paralyses them. This is incredibly useful considering how powerful some of the other Lightning Dragon Slaying spells are, as the user can hit the target with a roar and then follow up with something like Raging Bolt.

Worst Spell

Lightning Dragon's Heavenward Halberd

Not a bad spell, I just prefer the others.

Sky Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Wendy Marvell
Taught by: Grandeeney

Sky Dragon Slaying Magic is the one of the most supportive magics in the series, making use of a range of spells. These spells vary from dealing damage to healing, though notably the user can't heal themselves, only others. Regardless though, this magics strong aptitude for support is bolstered by spells that increase the speed, strength and endurance of allies. Like all forms of Dragon Slaying Magic, Sky Dragon Slaying Magic allows its practitioner to eat an element to restore their strength, in this case being air. I don't think I need to explain why that's broken in comparison to the other forms of elemental Slaying Magic.

Best Spell

Shattering Light: Sky Drill

This is easily the best looking spell in a Sky Dragon Slayer's arsenal to me, it also gets points for covering the usually weak offense of the Magic.

Worst Spell

Milky Way

While it is an interesting spell, this magic has literally no uses in combat. And even outside of combat, the circumstances needed for this spell to be useful are just way too specific.

Poison Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Erik (AKA Cobra)

Poison Dragon Slaying Magic revolves around infecting an enemy with the Magic's poison, which slowly steals away movement and eventually kills. Suitably, the spells of this Magic employ either direct physical contact with poison covered claws or poison gas clouds. It should be noted that these poison clouds are seemingly 'tangible', being able to hurt enemies via physical contact. As with all elemental variants of Dragon Slaying Magic, mages who use this form can consume poison to restore their strength and are granted an inhuman resistance to poisonous substances. Curiously, when a mage begins using this magic their hands gain scales and their fingers gain claws, something unique to this brand of Dragon Slaying Magic.

Best Spell

Poison Dragon's Roar

Since Poison Dragon Slaying Magic relies on inflicting its victim with poison, a large AoE attack fits perfectly.

Worst Spell

Poison Dragon's Twin Fang

This spell is here because its the only other named non-anime spell this magic has. In actuality its pretty decent, though if I'm being really picky I do find it odd that Poison Dragon Slaying Magic has non-AoE spells like this.

White Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Sting Eucliffe
Taught by: Weisslogia

White Dragon Slaying Magic is somewhat unique compared to its siblings in that it is much more general. This is to say, the user gains a huge resistance to and can eat literally anything that is white to regain strength. This includes forms of Light Magic, presumably forms of Snow Magic, and ranges to more miscellaneous things such as white flowers. In addition to this, it also takes a page from Lightning Dragon Slaying Magic, as one of its most basic spells (White Dragon's Claw) also has a paralysis effect, though it works differently. Something else that makes White Dragon Slaying Magic unique is the ability for its user to enter a Drive Mode, with the only other Dragon Slaying Magic to offer this being Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic. When in Drive Mode a White Dragon Slayer's physical stats are improved, with the mage becoming much faster and stronger. It also surrounds them with a glowing aura.

When a White Dragon Slayer eats shadows they enter White Shadow Dragon Mode. Upon entering this, the Slayer gains the ability to abuse the signature intangibility of Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic, using the shadows to move around the battlefield, launch attacks and mitigate damage.

Best Spell

Holy Ray

You'll see in the comments section that one of my main gripes with Dragon Slaying Magic is its lack of ranged spells, hence why Holy Ray is here. It looks epic, its a decently powerful attack and its got a great AoE, what's not to love?

Worst Spell

White Dragon's Roar

I like this spell but the existence of White Dragon's Holy Breath makes this roar redundant. Sure its quicker to cast than Holy Breath, but only by what, two seconds? Given how much more powerful Holy Breath is I just don't know why you would use White Dragon's Roar instead.

Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic

User: Rogue Cheney
Taught by: Skiadrum

Like its name suggests, Shadow Dragon Slaying Magic allows its user to manipulate shadows to their advantage. This brings an amazing level of versatility not seen in the other standard Dragon Slaying Magics. Users can enter the shadows to quickly and sneakily move around the battlefield, they can use shadows to trick opponents in to exposing themselves, and they can even momentarily turn themselves into shadows to mitigate damage. As with the other Dragon Slaying Magics, users of this Magic can eat shadows to replenish themselves. Much like White Dragon Slaying Magic, this Magic allows the user to enter a Drive Mode, which surrounds them in an aura of shadows and boosts their speed and strength.

If a Shadow Dragon Slayer consumes the light of a White Dragon Slayer, they enter White Shadow Dragon Mode. This performs almost identically to how I detailed White Shadow Dragon Mode above, though Future Rogue did show off some interesting skills with this mode that Sting Eucliffe did not. First of all, this version of White Shadow Dragon Mode let him pull victims into the World of Shadows. It also let him turn himself into a beam of light, though he only demonstrated this skill whilst performing White Shadow Dragon's Sword Horn. Lastly, he showed off a degree of shadow manipulation unmatched in the series, being able to form his shadows into blades that could pierce and kill people.

Best Spell

Shadow Dragon's Waxwing Flash

Not only does this look good, but its easily the most powerful spell in this Magic's arsenal.

Worst Spell

Shadow Dragon's Roar

While I usually praise ranged Dragon Slaying techniques, we literally never saw the strength of this spell.

So those are the main seven variants of elemental Dragon Slayer Magic... however, there is one path of Dragon Slaying Magic that dwarfs the rest in terms of elemental variety. I am of course referring to...

HYBRID THEORY

User: God Serena
Dual mode: Get on my level, bitch

"Hybrid Theory", as dubbed by August, was God Serena's use of eight forms of Dragon Slaying Magic. We sadly only got to see three of these in action, and only having being teased with a fourth spell. Even with this limited view of Hybrid Theory though, it still proves itself a broken collection of magics when you consider what elements it contains: Fire, Earth, Water and Air. So not only does Hybrid Theory have incredible versatility in regards to offense, but a user of this gains a colossal resistance to four very common elements and can use said very common elements to restore their strength by consuming them. Essentially, a user of Hybrid Theory is an Avatar that can replenish their strength nigh endlessly due to how common their elements are. That, my friends, is overpowered as hell. No wonder Hiro killed Goddy off...

Best Spells

Cavern Dragon's Earth Destruction

Hiro didn't use Earth Magic enough, this was such a cool spell in terms of disruption.

Sea King Dragon's Encircling Deluge

Rule of Cool, Water Magic is great and Goddy's form of Water Dragon Slaying Magic didn't disappoint.

Worst Spell

Gale Dragon's Song of the Wind and Moon

Just let him use the damn spell Hiro!

Comments Section!

@Jko and @Takuan are of the same mind, Dragon Force > your fav slayer magic:
You know, you're right @MarmaladeSky:
@Belserion is triggered:

^ You IRL? :heh
@kira gives us his scores for each element:
Light only getting a 5? Shame on you. :nah
As for myself, I seem to mostly agree with @Crescent_jinxgrace:
@Arjuna is a fan:
On the other hand I'll let @Emperor Spriggan speak for himself:
I can see what you mean, I personally thought the Twin Dragons would be red herrings, with the Dragon Slayers being curbed by Acnologia, only to be saved by the one and only, Orga!
@Elusia and @DiMaria Yesta both acknowledge the power of this magic, though Elusia thought better of it prior to Alvarez:

________________________________________________________________________________

I hid a Star Wars reference in this post, anyone who can PM me what it was gets to know the next elimination! No sharing once you know though! :kappa

WE'RE APPROACHING THE TOP 5!

WHICH MAGIC SHALL FALL SHORT OF THE ELITE LIST?!

Wow i really though it will be in top 5 at least.But any way my personal favourite will be Acnologia's.Next Natsu,Laxus,Rogue and Sting.

Jammiin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
It's ridiculous how celestial Spirit Magic is still in ihe game :notrust

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

Anyhow this is the only magic in the series that can pierce a Dragon Scales. It's the only slayer magic that had the need and purpose throughout the story. You can take a God down without GS Magic, and you can take out a Demon without DeS Magic, but you needed Dragon Slaying Magic to actually beat a Dragon.

Dual Mode was so fudging hype during Tenrou. I don't give a F if it was BS asspull the design of the elements combining and the executions of the dual elements was clean af. That was mode was so hype every time I saw it I knew some big shit was gonna happen.

Dragon Force was the transformation of epic proportions. The ability not only gives you the characteristics of a Dragon while you stay in a humanoid form but also increases all stats by at least three times your maximum. It was the Super Saiyan transformation of Fairy Tail and it was that force that gave you chills because you know the hero is about to lay the beat down.

Fire DS had the ability to incinerate anything in its path. A super powerful magic that utilizes the depths of Fire Magic. This magic has another named which is the Flames of Emotion which uses emotions to fuel the power of his Fire Magic. This guy is basically the Hulk of the FTverse as the more emotions (typically anger) the more powerful he becomes. The Flames of Emotions you can say is the reverse of the Curse of Contradictions. Be it Magic, Nothingness, Death, or even Space-time it would be burned away by the ferocious flames. It was given a King Class Title among Dragons as well. I love the element of Fire and it even is my top 3 elements.

White DS had the ability to encompass anything that is White be it Light or Holy anything that is White will be eaten by him. He had some dazzling spells in his arsenal and unlike the roar of a regular Dragon which is focused on widespread destruction, his is a laser that focuses on piercing damage to land lethal blows. Sting demonstrates his magic is meant for lethal and fast blows which is what you expect of a guy with ability to use light. But he does have some cool abilities like Holy Stigmata which traps the target in paralysis. I wish we saw him use it more but you know Hiro he was forgetting practically everything everyone has done the past few arcs.

Shadow DS had the ability to manipulate and become the shadows itself. A magic that is stellar for it's maneuverability, and sneaky ability to move in and out of the world of Shadows. Though this magic makes unlike the other Dragon Slaying magic has a major downside and that is the magic feeds on your insecurities and doubts. Your shadow will try to take over you and tempt you into the darkness. Even Rogue who was more on the lines of nice Saber even under the rule of Jeimma was tempted throughout the series by his own shadow. The Shadow does come with a big increase in power, but is power worth losing everything of yourself? Something about using a double edge magic is always fun to think of as it makes you reflect on the choices you'd choose. This magic is pretty awesome and can be super powerful.

Sky DS is so cool as well. The ability to harness wind itself and perform miraclous feats with it. It not only has a good arsenal of offensive moves but it really shines with it support abilities. Wendy has the ability to heal and relieve fatigue by using her Sky DS magic. Her Sky DS also gives her great enchanting feats as well. She can greatly increase the stats of herself or others with her Sky enchantments. Sky DS also has the ability to fly without the use of an exceed, and it seems to be one of the more speedy type magics in the manga as well. Wendy also read air currents and sense the changes in the weather with her DS ability. Wind is my other top 3 favorite element. it has so many applications and who wouldn't want to create big tornadoes?

Sage DS was not really expanded upon but it seems to heighten magic tremendously and is very align with enchantment magic.

Lightning DS; the ability to use Lightning. It could've been utilize so much more than shown and it's the last of my fave 3 element lol.

Though I'm ok with DS magic going out at 7, I feel like labeling this as the second part of the write up, fantastic analysis! Especially in regards to Shadow DS Magic and Dual Modes.
Thanks my man! :hi

Reactions: Jko

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Ouch, so close to the top 5 :shakefist
But you did well, DS, even stomping God and Devil Slaying Magic. :clap

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
"But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

"Three sir."

"And they are so named?"

1.The Imperius Curse

2.The Cruciatus Curse

3.The Killing Curse

"Together, they are known as:"

The Dark Arts
Score-8.467

Highest Score: 12 x 1(@Emperor Spriggan) 11 x 4(@Valhalla777, @Arjuna, @Belserion, @BluePegasus)

Lowest Score: 1 x 1(@Seven777)

MarmaladeSky said:
Voldy could learn something

MLG Bradman said:
Hades using it was hype and Zeref killing Hades with it was godly, but I feel like it got nerfed somewhere along the way. It just didn't feel that threatening in the last arc.
Emperor Spriggan said:
My bias plays a huge deal here, but Etherious might be the best thing to ever happen in this story :cool:.The spells invoked with Dark Magic are just far too unique for me not to fanboy over.

Jko said:
Pretty ambiguous since Black Magic is numerous in numbers. The magic we've seen was okay.
Takuan said:
I'm giving Fairy Magic, Light Magic, Dark Magic and Amaterasu the same mark, a 7. Incredibly powerful, no doubt, but i'm left unimpressed and uninterested.

My 12
I wonder if you guys remembered this was still in the running
Words cannot express how happy I am to see it make this far :XD I have to admit, a small part of me wanted it to make it to the top 5, but seeing it fall just a place short makes me happy since I think it's well deserved. And of course, words alone aren't enough to describe how much I love this magic ;)

My favorite aspects about this magic are easily two, and it's one of the parts about Fairy Tail I find truly outstanding.
(a)The Etherious:

In one of my favorite info dumps in the story titled "All for My Demise," we learn that Zeref wanted to die, so he went as far as creating living demons to kill him.

Some of these demons banded together and formed the guild we know as Tartaros,

while a few others went about roaming freely such as Deliora and Lullaby. One of them managed to find its way back to its creator, and served under him as one of his 12 Shields, Larcade Dragneel.

Zeref has been shown to possess absolute control over his Etherious, to the extent of being able to revert them back into books, and destroy said books just as easily as he made them. A good example of this would be Mard Geer, who he killed since he gained too much freedom.

He was also able to summon the Book of E.N.D from Gray FullBuster's hands, reclaiming it in his possession.

Therefore, the power to give and take away life :pleased

b)Anksheram's Curse

This Magic is uncontrollable at times, causing it to burst out randomly, killing anything within a certain radius of the caster. However, if the user forgets the value of life, they can fully control the Magic.

This Magic cannot be learnt, but instead, true to its name as a curse, is brought upon someone by Anksherum, who may do so to a person making light of the connections between life and death.

Zeref explained to Mavis that the more regard the cursed individual holds for life then the more they will end up killing inadvertently and only when they no longer have any regards to life will they stop killing at all which led this Magic to be known as the "The Contradictory Curse." The main side effect of this curse is near-absolute immortality, with Zeref remarking that he couldn't kill Mavis and vice versa, even if their heads were separated from their bodies. Additionally, after some time of being afflicted with the curse, the person in question's mental state becomes warped to the point where even their own thoughts, feelings and actions become contradictory as well.

The Dark Arts can also be applied in battle:

And have also been shown to be capable of Immobilization, a Black Art of Zeref's that allows him to freeze time for all except those he specifically chooses to remain mobile. After casting this Magic, the surrounding area and all those affected by the Magic appear inverted in color, whilst those unaffected remain as they are.

Destroying material objects:

This magic has shown to be capable of being blocked via two methods:
a)Natsu's scarf, which is made of dragon scales

And of course, the unconventional:

b) Defense Against the Dark Arts

:derp

Last edited:

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Dual Mode was so fudging hype during Tenrou. I don't give a F if it was BS asspull the design of the elements combining and the executions of the dual elements was clean af. That mode was so hype every time I saw it I knew some big shit was gonna happen.

White DS had the ability to encompass anything that is White be it Light or Holy anything that is White will be eaten by him. He had some dazzling spells in his arsenal and unlike the roar of a regular Dragon which is focused on widespread destruction, his is a laser that focuses on piercing damage to land a lethal blow. Sting demonstrates his magic is meant for lethal and fast attacks which is what you expect of a guy with ability to use light. But he does have some cool abilities like Holy Stigmata which traps the target in paralysis. I wish we saw him use it more but you know Hiro he was forgetting practically everything everyone has done the past few arcs.

Shadow DS had the ability to manipulate and become the shadows itself. A magic that is stellar for it's maneuverability, and sneaky ability to move in and out of the world of Shadows. Though this magic unlike the other Dragon Slaying magic has a major downside and that is the magic feeds on your insecurities and doubts. Your shadow will try to take over you and tempt you into the darkness. Even Rogue who was more on the lines of nice Saber even under the rule of Jeimma was tempted throughout the series by his own shadow. The Shadow does come with a big increase in power, but is power worth losing everything of yourself? Something about using a double edge magic is always fun to think of as it makes you reflect on the choices you'd choose. This magic is pretty awesome and can be super powerful.

Awesome analysis, nice. :verily
I was giving my score based on the seven DS and God Serena, since they are the ones that are fleshed out and actually showed us DS skills, unlike Irene and Acnologia (well Acno did show hax magic resistence whic is part of his DS abilities, but other than that it was pure dragon business and raw physical power, and Irene didnt show anything).
Being a Sage dragon slayer sounds awesome but, what she can actually do with it is in the end just speculation. Since Irene didnt show anything i didnt consider her in my scoring. But her enchantments were at least on point.
Acnologia being able to learn any magic is a bit iffy my friend, as is being able to use any type, since he showed none of that. He is able to eat and absorb any type, but as far as i understood his power output was always pure magic ( at least of what he showed us i guess, which was miniscule, mainly the roar and a hand wave). In the end im specualting too i guess, so there is that too.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Are you kidding me?For the first time in the ranking i am salty.

It should have been top 5 at least,and much more versatile than nearly every magic in the series.

It's sad that Hiro could not expand on it in the final fight between Natsu and Zeref.

I imagined a fight where Zeref was using all kinds of dark magics and creating Demons and END also making Demons and also using Curses.A devastating battle.Sadly Hiro didn't give it.

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
So first five of top ten in my eyes:
#10 Fairy Magic - Powerfull offensive spell, strong defensive spell and Fairy Law, spell that targets only the enemies of the caster - great idea and execution. It wasn't overused imo and it wasn't an always-succesful ultimate spell too. But tbh, if I knew, that Fairy Heart counts in here, I'd have given FM lower score. I still don't know what was the purpose of its existance in the story except for giving power burst and its execution was kinda lame :(

#9 Take Over - I wish I could give this magic higher score... but I had to count Lisanna, Elfman and Wolfheim in :errr Well, Elfman's maybe not so bad, he showed few Beasts Souls in the series, but Wolfheim is just more powerful version of him imo (and was rather disappointing in the end). As for Lisanna... well, the only useful form of her is probably Bird Soul, because it allows her to fly, all other forms are just useless in my eyes.

#8 Lightning Magic - So hard to be objective, because it's Laxus separate Lightning DS magic from Lightning Magic. If I had to point out my favourite spell, then it's Thunder Palace - Laxus threatened the city, was able to keep the spell active for so long and fight with Mystogan, Erza, Natsu and Gajeel in the meantime. As expected of him :hip

#7 Dragon Slaying Magic - isn't it the first magic in this rate with no 1s? :blink Magic which has the most of the users in the series I think (despite being lost magic), 9 elements (and God Serena still had 4 unknown lacrimas), each giving its user other abilities and posibilities, dual modes, DF, secret arts, permanent changes of user's body. And as I said in earlier posts, one don't need to be Demon/God Slayer to kill the demon/god, but if one's not a Dragon Slayer, they can't even scratch a dragon, so arguably the most useful Slaying Magic (yeah yeah, Erza and her rain of swords; actually I'm trying to forget about it she didn't scratch Acnologia, she just pushed him down).
I thought DSM will be eliminated earlier, because it's the most used type of magic (how it couldn't be, if MC and secondary MC are using it), so I thought many fans might get bored of it. My favourite is White DSM, because it utilizes not only light and whiteness, but also holiness, which fits perfectly to the other two elements. I wish Hiro went into that direction and let Sting make use of this holy property of WDSM more.

#6 Dark Arts - magic, that made Zeref a legend, not in the positive mean, but still a legend. It would be nice, if Hiro portrayed Zeref more like a villain and less like a victim of the terrible curse, because moments, when he uses his magic intentionally, are simply cool. And bit terrifying too :zomg

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
I still don't know why Geer was dumb enough to have a human killed by a demon have such a powerful tool against them.

This is gonna be a fairly late reply, but anyways, I can actually understand why Mard Geer wouldn't have a problem keeping a demon slayer like Silver among their ranks.

I don't think it was simply because of "plot" or "Mashima" or anything of that sort.

First of all, the obvious reason for keeping Silver would be that he was an extremely powerful wizard and probably one of the strongest 9 DG. Not to mention, his DeS magic would be very useful against any demon that opposes Tartaros in the future (imagine Larcade or Bloodman challenging them).

Mard Geer was likely aware of that advantage, so he saw no reason to discard a useful "tool" like that.

Second, Mard Geer was probably certain that Keyes had complete control over Silver. After all, Keyes was Silver's creator and could have "killed" Silver at any given moment.

And in the unlikely event that Keyes would betray Tartaros, Mard Geer always had the option of killing Keyes himself, disintegrating Silver in the process.

With that said, there was a big miscalculation on Mard Geer's part. What he failed to anticipate was that Silver could transfer his magic to another ice wizard - Gray, for example.

That ended up being Mard Geer's downfall, because even if Keyes and Silver both died, there was no way of defeating Gray indirectly...

Which meant that Mard Geer would be forced to kill Gray directly in combat, which he failed to do obviously.

Overall
, I personally thought that it was pretty clever of Mard Geer to keep a weapon like Silver among them. He made a minor error by not anticipating the transfer of magic, but that's what makes a storyline good, in my opinion.

At least back then, the plot twists actually made sense.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dark Arts was garbage, the only good thing about it was the creation of demons, and that all happened off panel.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Dark Arts was garbage, the only good thing about it was the creation of demons, and that all happened off panel.
Hmmm Hades created it on panel.Remember he created Nemesis from dirt against Team Natsu and Laxus in Tenrou.