Discussion - Art Contest Discussion Thread | Page 130 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Art Contest Discussion Thread

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I love orgz' picture honestly. Such an adorable picture! It looks very similar to the orignal picture, pretty well done! :chu

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I had a lot of little Spirit photos but none that were really repllicable at this time.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
"Show your cutest childhood picture" is probably not artsy enough for an art contest I suppose :( Babies are so cute

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Thanks Marma-chan! Really like yours as well!

@Farfalla @DiMaria Yesta
Is there a line/character restriction for the Romance poem?

Also, is the plan for the contests to be bi-weekly from now on?

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
I think It's been bi-weekly since forever tbh XD
Orgz, it's still 50 lines or 3k characters with space. But imo that's too little for short stories for example so if it becomes a problem for you guys we can gladly review the criteria. It's just that if it becomes too "heavy" for people to read all entries, it becomes harmful for the contest.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Yes.

I know that.

BUT!

Will it be from now on... as well!?

(Saved it.)

Also, this is a poem and not a short story right? But I guess I’ll get off my lazy ass and check what the old restrictions were for poems then. :XD

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think It's been bi-weekly since forever tbh XD
Orgz, it's still 50 lines or 3k characters with space. But imo that's too little for short stories for example so if it becomes a problem for you guys we can gladly review the criteria. It's just that if it becomes too "heavy" for people to read all entries, it becomes harmful for the contest.
I have a friend who happens to be an internationally best selling author/ Professor and he always says that 3500 should be the average length of a short story. Just some food for thought :)

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I have a friend who happens to be an internationally best selling author/ Professor and he always says that 3500 should be the average length of a short story. Just some food for thought :)
3500 characters? I’ve heard the same, but for words...

But on the other hand, that’s for books. This is an online format, where people will be required to read several submissions at once. So I definitely get the need for restriction. (But maybe it should be made more clear what a “line” means.. or have only the character count restriction.)

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Will it be from now on... as well!?
Yup o/
Also, this is a poem and not a short story right? But I guess I’ll get off my lazy ass and check what the old restrictions were for poems then. :XD
I'm aware, but Short Stories and Poems is the same category o/ No need to go by old stuff D:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Couldn’t find any particular restrictions for poems (which I was sure was there but I guess I was wrong) so never mind. ._.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
3500 characters? I’ve heard the same, but for words...

But on the other hand, that’s for books. This is an online format, where people will be required to read several submissions at once. So I definitely get the need for restriction. (But maybe it should be made more clear what a “line” means.. or have only the character count restriction.)
Words, yes. Did I mess up? It's been a while since I partook in a word based contest here.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Words, yes. Did I mess up? It's been a while since I partook in a word based contest here.
The restriction here is 3000 characters. Which is pretty tough to stick to when you want to tell a complete story, since I usually tend to end up with around 3-4000 words, just like your friend recommended. But like I said, I get the need for a restriction. It just makes it very limiting in how much imagery you can put in your story aside from just “telling the tale”.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
We could run a pilot in the next Short Stories contest with 3.500 words and see how it goes. If both the writers and the voters are comfortable with this new limit, we could change it^^

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The restriction here is 3000 characters. Which is pretty tough to stick to when you want to tell a complete story, since I usually tend to end up with around 3-4000 words, just like your friend recommended. But like I said, I get the need for a restriction. It just makes it very limiting in how much imagery you can put in your story aside from just “telling the tale”.
I always acknowledge in limitations when running my contests over on Reddit. It allows for people with different skills to have a fair chance at doing well, as well as producing higher quality work when artists need to think about what they're putting into the work. Especially with words. It makes you use your language sparingly and condense it all into a short, engaging piece.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
We could run a pilot in the next Short Stories contest with 3.500 words and see how it goes. If both the writers and the voters are comfortable with this new limit, we could change it^^
No no don’t get me wrong. That’s why I keep saying I get why the restrictions are there. 3500 words when you’re reading a book is fine, you can finish that in one sitting, but several stories of 3500 words from different users with different styles will certainly be way too much to read for anyone.

Still, I think the “50 lines” restriction is a bit vague. I stuck to that with my winter story, and that’s when Bob reminded that we should stick to the maximum restrictions in the rules (and mine was the longest, so I took that to heart). Maybe it’s easier to have just a character/word count, since that can be easily double checked through online counters?

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Still, I think the “50 lines” restriction is a bit vague. I stuck to that with my winter story, and that’s when Bob reminded that we should stick to the maximum restrictions in the rules (and mine was the longest, so I took that to heart). Maybe it’s easier to have just a character/word count, since that can be easily double checked through online counters?
Zirconium had the longest, that's why we discussed the restrictions between us, 'cause we wanted to limit stuff but if we would apply it back then we would harm stories that were alrdy done and submitted. But I agree. We had to compare the MH post with Word and stuff like that lmao. Plus a character/word restriction should suffice, the rest becomes somewhat redundant, so thanks for the feedback, guys. Gonna look for the inputs of Ahmad and Holt, 'cause I could be missing something about those.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm so rusty haha. Well, I hope it stirs something on the inside :)