Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 155 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
from recent memory
HeroAca debuted before Hinomaru Zumo's 8th chapter
Demon Plan and Ole Golazo debuted before Amalgam and Spring Weapon 8th chapters

this is nothing new for Jump

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Doing whatever it takes to make the magazine exciting again and popular. Lets not forget, after Gintama goes, HQ!! will effectively be the 2nd oldest series in the magazine (not counting HxH because it doesn't serialize often enough). One Piece is effectively what's holding this magazine in place. They need other pillars.
Having new series one after another doesn't help making new pillars. Readers need a bit of time to even think about casting their vote in a new series over one that is already established, Act-Age and Boozebeats doesn't have even 10 chapters under their belt and there are already new series to pick the readers attention. It also looks like they are just serializing whatever appears in front of them instead of hunting the premium goods. Rushing and desperation doesn't help because a new hit comes out of nowhere in end, but it really helps when you serialize things with some chance instead of whatever is available.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
And I'm not questioning that it happens, I'm questioning why it happens.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Having new series one after another doesn't help making new pillars. Readers need a bit of time to even think about casting their vote in a new series over one that is already established, Act-Age and Boozebeats doesn't have even 10 chapters under their belt and there are already new series to pick the readers attention. It also looks like they are just serializing whatever appears in front of them instead of hunting the premium goods. Rushing and desperation doesn't help because a new hit comes out of nowhere in end, but it really helps when you serialize things with some chance instead of whatever is available.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
And I'm not questioning that it happens, I'm questioning why it happens.
Hasn’t throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks always been Jump’s method of finding new pillars

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hasn’t throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks always been Jump’s method of finding new pillars
I have the impression that has been too fast lately, more than I'm used to. I hope they settle down for some months after this.

ruggia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
South Korea
The Jump serialization cycle has always been a round every 8-13 weeks.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

can someone confirms this?
or is this the rumor?
Abrupt? The raws for at least the last month have all clearly been pointing towards its ending. That doesn't seem abrupt to me, in fact, it has had an incredibly fortunate and generous run.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Doing whatever it takes to make the magazine exciting again and popular. Lets not forget, after Gintama goes, HQ!! will effectively be the 2nd oldest series in the magazine (not counting HxH because it doesn't serialize often enough). One Piece is effectively what's holding this magazine in place. They need other pillars.
They have other pillars in Haikyuu and Heroaca. Its a gross oversimplification to say OP is single-handedly keeping the magazine afloat because there are lots of people that don't even read OP weekly. I've seen guys who just tear out the Yuragi pages and throw the rest away. I've also seen people that read Jump simply for Kochikame or are reading it right now for Heroaca, Haikyuu or, ironically, Spring Weapon. There is no empirical evidence to suggest that OP is the only thing holding up Jump though I agree that once it ends Jump's print numbers and possibly readership will dramatically fall. Kids nowadays can't even get into OP unless they read it with Jump+ and that's at chapter 179 right now. There are always the pirate sites like the recent mangamura which seems to be picking up with kids but that's a whole different issue. Jump's brand is big enough to hold itself up.

As for the speed, it has been faster recently but throwing everything at the wall and seeing what will stick has always been Jump's style. I believe they should change that but Nakano doesn't seem to be for trying new things as of now. I feel like he's still in that transition period but he has some vision. Problem is that that vision is being pretty poorly executed and everything ends up looking disjointed.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I agree with you although it sounds like you are underestimating the greatest manga in history and its potential to drive readers. Sometimes One Piece volumes sells more than the magazine itself. One Piece is not everything of course, but it is more than 50% of the magazine.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I agree with you although it sounds like you are underestimating the greatest manga in history and its potential to drive readers. Sometimes One Piece volumes sells more than the magazine itself. One Piece is not everything of course, but it is more than 50% of the magazine.
Its not sometimes; OP's first printing is almost double Jump's first printing as of data released April 2017. What that means is that there is a trend of people simply buying the volumes to read OP instead of reading it weekly. Regardless of how great a chapter is, with the breaks the flow is affected. Reading it volume to volume however means you get 10 chapters all at once. We can infer from this that OP might be holding up the magazine however that becomes a simplification that excludes digital subscriptions and the overall gradual shift in the industry to digital. We simply cannot make any final judgements until they at least give us an idea of how much digital subscriptions are growing. Simply telling us they're growing isn't enough to understand the full picture though I honestly don't think we'll know for another few years. Even Oricon hasn't caught up and included a chart for digital downloads like they did for music sales.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like people arent actually getting/reading the magazine but are waiting and buying the volumes. If OP was driving readers to the magazine then I would think its readership should not be declining.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Its not sometimes; OP's first printing is almost double Jump's first printing as of data released April 2017. What that means is that there is a trend of people simply buying the volumes to read OP instead of reading it weekly. Regardless of how great a chapter is, with the breaks the flow is affected. Reading it volume to volume however means you get 10 chapters all at once. We can infer from this that OP might be holding up the magazine however that becomes a simplification that excludes digital subscriptions and the overall gradual shift in the industry to digital. We simply cannot make any final judgements until they at least give us an idea of how much digital subscriptions are growing. Simply telling us they're growing isn't enough to understand the full picture though I honestly don't think we'll know for another few years. Even Oricon hasn't caught up and included a chart for digital downloads like they did for music sales.
Your argument would be great if One Piece was not the series who gets the most covers in the magazine and the one that has the most tops. Even if your point is correct, One Piece readership is still the biggest in the magazine BY FAR. The other series has thousand figures and One Piece has million figures. We can see this clearly, they are desperate, they know that a success takes years to sprout and the clock is ticking, they don't want to repeat the same thing that happened with Dragon Ball and the downfall will be even bigger this time. I still think you don't quite understand what One Piece is in the manga market.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Your argument would be great if One Piece was not the series who gets the most covers in the magazine and the one that has the most tops. Even if your point is correct, One Piece readership is still the biggest in the magazine BY FAR. The other series has thousand figures and One Piece has million figures. We can see this clearly, they are desperate, they know that a success takes years to sprout and the clock is ticking, they don't want to repeat the same thing that happened with Dragon Ball and the downfall will be even bigger this time. I still think you don't quite understand what One Piece is in the manga market.
I fully understand OP's place in the industry. I never denied that OP's readership wasn't the largest, just that its not the only thing holding up Jump. There are plenty of people that don't read OP weekly which is shown in the volume first printing. A example of this would be of Jump's first ever reprint for the finale of Kochikame.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...irst-ever-reprint-thanks-to-kochikame/.108529
Even DB didn't move Shueisha to reprint an issue.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
They have other pillars in Haikyuu and Heroaca. Its a gross oversimplification to say OP is single-handedly keeping the magazine afloat because there are lots of people that don't even read OP weekly. I've seen guys who just tear out the Yuragi pages and throw the rest away. I've also seen people that read Jump simply for Kochikame or are reading it right now for Heroaca, Haikyuu or, ironically, Spring Weapon. There is no empirical evidence to suggest that OP is the only thing holding up Jump though I agree that once it ends Jump's print numbers and possibly readership will dramatically fall. Kids nowadays can't even get into OP unless they read it with Jump+ and that's at chapter 179 right now. There are always the pirate sites like the recent mangamura which seems to be picking up with kids but that's a whole different issue. Jump's brand is big enough to hold itself up.
I wouldn't call Haikyuu!! a pillar at all. Neither MHA, even if I'm a big fan of the series. They are both big series, absolutely. Being pillars is definitely a stretch and you can see it in the way WSJ does the combined issues. Unlike in the past, where you could clearly see WSJ had 2-3 mainstay series they relied on (Naruto, Bleach, Toriko, even Assassination Classroom despite it being short, it was still a smash hit right away and got numbers 99% series never do), you can clearly see now that OP is the main one series they trust right now. In addition, OP volume sales stand at 3 to 3.5 million. Even if we consider just a third of those who read OP are from WSJ, that's still a million readers. Numbers wise, OP is the only thing keeping the magazine from falling face first just like how SNK is the only thing keeping Bessatsu from being stopped.
If this was in respect to Weekly Young Jump where you have 3 series all selling similar to each other and all mostly similar in popularity, then it's another story. I'm not saying WSJ is still printing solely because of OP but right now, it's 1.8 million print number IS largely because of OP still existing. You cannot refute that and THAT was my point. Print numbers do matter to WSJ.

Also, you ask why are the numbers dropping if One Piece is the main reason people read WSJ? You've basically answered your question. If they read solely one piece, then they no longer have a need to read the magazine and therefore stop. BUT the drop won't be a one time big thing. It happens gradually just like how volume sales drop for a series past it's peak. It doesn't drop in one go. People have their own speed at which they might stop buying the magazine. Some might give the magazine few more months to see if better series come along if they like ongoing ones and if not, they stop and just buy volumes. Some might still keep reading, some might give it few more years. That's why it's important for WSJ to get another big million seller. MHA can do it, but it's not a sure thing even tho it's numbers right now are still great. Maybe TPN can do it but it wouldn't last long enough to be considered a mainstay pillar.

I fully understand OP's place in the industry. I never denied that OP's readership wasn't the largest, just that its not the only thing holding up Jump. There are plenty of people that don't read OP weekly which is shown in the volume first printing. A example of this would be of Jump's first ever reprint for the finale of Kochikame.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...irst-ever-reprint-thanks-to-kochikame/.108529
The reason is simple. Kochikame was way past its prime. It sold 30-40k a volume before it ended. So when it ended, due to the legacy it left behind and possibly all the old fans wanting to be a part of that history, many would've bought the magazine.
A very simple comparison is when a well known music artist passes away, you immediately see albums rush back into charts because people who would've absorbed their music another way (streaming or just singles) would want to also obtain the entire album.
Even more specific example, when LP's Chester passed away in July last year, 3 albums that were not certified platinum in US went platinum within 2 -4 months. One of those albums only even sold about 300k before then.
DBZ was at it's peak when it ended. WSJ was already at it's peak circulation because of DBZ. 6 million, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I said that it not holding everything, but most of it, so what is your point? We are going in circles.
Well, in Dragon Ball, the magazine print numbers were over 5 million, if it was not enough, I don't know what would be. I think that people bought Kochikame final magazine for historical purposes, if I had Jump readily available to me I would also buy such magazine for the record. I will buy the final magazine of One Piece because it will be even more historical the Kochikame and I'm sure a lot of people will do the same, even those who buy volumes.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I see the color pages and the top positions more like a marketing strategy than as an accurate reflection of the magazine's readers. I love the series, but I don't believe that it is still always the most voted and that after 20 years the kids still cares to vote, since it is obvious that the title will not be canceled.

As you said, OP is bigger than the WSJ. So the editors take advantage of this to generate more visibility for the anthology.
I made you famous now you guarantee my fame.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
You say that it is not an accurate reflection of the magazine reader's, but at the same time you say that Shueisha put One Piece on covers to attract readers. Therefore, if people buy the magazine because of One Piece, the promotion is not a reflection of what readers want? You are contradicting yourself.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
No, what I'm saying is that it's much easier to attract readers being "the magazine that has One Piece" than "the magazine that has Shokugeki no Souma". The name/image of the series is too big for people to ignore, it's the symbol of the magazine, and the editors, of course, will take advantage of that.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll agree with iceemperor. One Piece is not the end to end all titles for Shuiesha and certainly isn't what's keeping Jump afloat for 20 years (bear in mind Jump circulation still dropped despite One Piece's popularity and has not stopped dropping since the manga started in 1997) people seem to forget that before the Strong World boost Death Note was outselling One Piece and HxH beat it soundly when it started. The reason why Jump is ahead of the pack is largely because it has a slew of popular and well-selling titles that appeals to a variety of audiences if people were ONLY buying Jump for One Piece it would end up in a situation similar to Sunday or worse yet Bessatsu which had a low circulation until Attack On Titan exploded in popularity now imagine what will happen once it ends? Despite everything I don't think Jump will lose much when One Piece ends at least it'll never come close to the same drops that effected Jump when DBZ and Slam Dunk ended.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll agree with iceemperor. One Piece is not the end to end all titles for Shuiesha and certainly isn't what's keeping Jump afloat for 20 years (bear in mind Jump circulation still dropped despite One Piece's popularity and has not stopped dropping since the manga started in 1997) people seem to forget that before the Strong World boost Death Note was outselling One Piece and HxH beat it soundly when it started. The reason why Jump is ahead of the pack is largely because it has a slew of popular and well-selling titles that appeals to a variety of audiences if people were ONLY buying Jump for One Piece it would end up in a situation similar to Sunday or worse yet Bessatsu which had a low circulation until Attack On Titan exploded in popularity now imagine what will happen once it ends? Despite everything I don't think Jump will lose much when One Piece ends at least it'll never come close to the same drops that effected Jump when DBZ and Slam Dunk ended.
what happened with Sunday? magi? or something else?

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
what happened with Sunday? magi? or something else?
Lost the bulk of its circulation towards the end of the 90s and is mostly remaining relevant due to Detective Conan since outside Silver Spoon and Magi nothing in the lineup sells respectable numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.