Society - Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread | Page 69 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Society Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
But what were Pentecostal Christians told about Heaven?

I agree though. Why do they paint God as a good person when their examples and the Bible paint him as a bad or selfish person? Plus, didn't he torture one of his followers and made his life miserable just to tell Satan he has loyal followers? That's fucked up.
There are differences between the Judaism, Christian, and Islamic version of Job. My understand is that Satan said Job was only a follower because of the luxuries that God gave him and told God to take away his divine protection for some time. It’s a story of how Satan tried to mess with God but Job proved Satan wrong. From a view of this day and age, it can be seen as harsh but that is only a view from present times.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It still makes God come across as a bad person for willing to put someone through horrible hardships even though he'd reward the person for being loyal. If that happened among humans, there'd likely be mutiny or fighting back.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It still makes God come across as a bad person for willing to put someone through horrible hardships even though he'd reward the person for being loyal. If that happened among humans, there'd likely be mutiny or fighting back.
Isn’t that the purpose of living? To have hardships in order to learn experiences and sympathy? If everything was perfect and going smoothly, how will people live? It would be like what Shiro Kotomine suggested in Fate Apocrypha.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
In my opinion, no. I believe the basic purpose of living is to reproduce and ensure the survival of species. In a more complex view though, the purpose of living is up to us.

However, what God did was go waaay out of his way to make his follower's life miserable and extremely shitty to prove a point to feed his own ego, or at least that's how it comes across. It also shows God as an immature being for showing off to Satan that he has people loyal to him.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
If everything was perfect and going smoothly, how will people live?
Comfortably
:invalid

I don't really buy the added benefit of misery in character building.

Also, God is a terrible person.
As far as gods go, however, he's certainly not the worst (well, not from my perspective at least - his tendency for inactivity has certainly saved me some severe divine punishment).

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Comfortably

I don't really buy the added benefit of misery in character building.

As far as gods go, however, he's certainly not the worst (well, not from my perspective at least - his tendency for inactivity has certainly saved me some severe divine punishment).
Sir, do share. Why would he severely divinely punishly punish you? What did you do? :derp

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Sir, do share. Why would he severely divinely punishly punish you? What did you do? :derp
Well, let's just say, for a being as narcissistic as it appears to be - with such willingness (in the old testament at least) to lay down the law through plagues, floods, injury, death (of the sinner, their family, and friends)... for the most trivial of reasons...

... let's just say that I might not offer quite the degree of respect which that god might feel entitled to...

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Well, let's just say, for a being as narcissistic as it appears to be - with such willingness (in the old testament at least) to lay down the law through plagues, floods, injury, death (of the sinner, their family, and friends)... for the most trivial of reasons...

... let's just say that I might not offer quite the degree of respect which that god might feel entitled to...
Did you bash God or deities like I did/do?

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Comfortably

I don't really buy the added benefit of misery in character building

I don't mean to sound rude but the first statement sounds privileged in the sense that living comfortably in reality is where only a very few in this world don't have obstacles for their survival. Even those with fortunate upbrings may have misfortune in other aspects. Most social change comes from advocates who want to make a difference from their hardships in order for our future to be a better place. Just think of the progress society has made in the last decades (unless you live in Trump Nation). Most of my life lessons weren't because things were going smoothly. I don't think humans can ever rid the world of suffering but I think we are on a path where evenually it would be balanced enough for being on the smoother side. I'm not saying people who had everything going perfectly have no character and/or meaningful experiences but one cannot deny the strength from those that turned negatives in their lives into social change.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't mean to sound rude but the first statement sounds privileged in the sense that living comfortably in reality is where only a very few in this world don't have obstacles for their survival.
Not rude at all.

I don't believe it is an issue of privilege, unless, for some reason, you believe that people who have suffered hardships have 'more character' than those who have not.

I'm not saying people who had everything going perfectly have no character and/or meaningful experiences but one cannot deny the strength from those that turned negatives in their lives into social change.
I am not denying that at all.

A person's character is built around their experiences, positive and/or negative.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
zimby, as a nonbeliever, how do you feel about premarital sex and sodomy?

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
As someone who tries not to be overly hypocritical, I have no issues with people who do either of those things.

People who want to have sex before they 'put a ring on it' are no better than those who wait until they have 'marked their territory' before they get down and dirty.
And, as a scientist, I'd never have any issues with people who want to experiment.

As long as you aren't hurting anyone (who doesn't want to be hurt :derp), and you aren't abusing a child/animal, then what you do in the privacy of your bedroom (kitchen/bathroom/hallway/local park/...) is none of my business nor concern.

Last edited:

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I admire people who wait until marriage. It's difficult but anyone willing to abstain from sex for that long is probably in the relationship for the long haul. It's easy to lose interest in someone you slept with only after a week of dating but it's reasonable to expect it and people who wait are probably a dying breed.

And about the sodomy thing, I think anything goes as long as its consensual but of course women are redefining consent now. If I wasn't with my partner, I'd have every woman sign a contract before doing anything with them.

Reactions: M3J

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
So, why are God and Jesus against homosexuality?

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It's not just homosexuality which the bible has issues with.

It also has laws against:
- who/what you can have sex with (there's quite a long list, including women who are on their period and the wives of neighbours [amongst others])
- what you can eat (you must not eat fat, certain animals [including rabbits, pigs, shellfish...])
- What you can say and do (you must not carelessly making oaths, lie, curse your mother or father, blaspheme...)
- How you look (you must keep your hair nice and tidy, not cut the sides of your hair, get tattoos, trim your beard, wear/produce clothing made out of multiple fabrics...)
- What and who you can touch (you must not touch certain insects or women [at certain times], amongst other things)
- Farming (you must not reap all of your crops [just the majority], pick up grapes which have fallen off the vines, cross-breed animals, plant multiple different crops within a single field...)
- Mistreating foreigners
- Working on the Sabbath
- Selling your land permanently...

I mean, it's quite a list to choose from.

Though, I can see why you singled out the easy pickings, as it is the one people tend to have the most issues with.

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
But why homosexuality and premarital sex?

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not the ideal for family raising. This was thousands of years ago where the population was much lower, especially in rural areas. Also they had STIs without the right treatment so sex with one person of the opposite sex was best for that time.

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess it's because it's supposed to be unnatural since god created one of each sex to procreate. Although incest was also natural back then so the adam and steve argument doesn't really hold much weight. Anyway the church kinda treats homosexuality like a disease these days.

Remember this?

I swear that video kills me every time haha.

And about premarital sex, something the christian community back home always used to say was 'your body is the temple of god', so I guess fornicating is supposed to be defiling god's temple or something.