Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 349 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

De La Croissant

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Japan, before Shinji refused to enter in the robot: "I talk as little as possible about my own hard work. That's how men of my generation are" - Toriyama.
Japan, after Shinji refused to enter in the robot: "I ended up in depression. I even thought about giving up manga. I have a weak heart" - Horikoshi

Jokes aside, it's interesting how the context influences the work. Dragon Ball and Hokuto no Ken practically had no internal monologues and existential crises, the focus was on the physical effort. In current battle hits like Kimetsu and Boku no Hero, the introspection has increased and the internal dramas have become more prominent.

ChocoBar9

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Japan, before Shinji refused to enter in the robot: "I talk as little as possible about my own hard work. That's how men of my generation are" - Toriyama.
Japan, after Shinji refused to enter in the robot: "I ended up in depression. I even thought about giving up manga. I have a weak heart" - Horikoshi

Jokes aside, it's interesting how the context influences the work. Dragon Ball and Hokuto no Ken practically had no internal monologues and existential crises, the focus was on the physical effort. In current battle hits like Kimetsu and Boku no Hero, the introspection has increased and the internal dramas have become more prominent.
That transitional period has always been interesting to me. HnK and DB are such easy reads because they have very little dialogue that disrupt the flow of the action so you can go through a dozen volumes in a day without feeling fatigue while something like HxH is filled with nothing but dialogue that does disrupt the flow of action so you frequently have to pause to take it all in which can make it a chore to read. I feel like manga back then had their audience in mind while manga today appeal to many different people.

Last edited:

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
dude, for a first-timer this is great, keep practicing and improving your skills man, you got talent

you could post this on a SF forum and replace kamehameha with hadouken
Thanks!

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
That transitional period has always been interesting to me. HnK and DB are such easy reads because they have very little dialogue that disrupt the flow of the action so you can go through a dozen volumes in a day without feeling fatigue while something like HxH is filled with nothing but dialogue that does disrupt the flow of action so you frequently have to pause to take it all in which can make it a chore to read. I feel like manga back then had their audience in mind while manga today appeal to many different people.
Yeah, I remember another interview in which Toriyama said that the visual storytelling was everything. There is also the issue of the lack of attention of the current audience. For example, Togashi said he used the first 30 chapters of YYH to make set up. That would be unthinkable today. In 30 chapters the reader already wants to see the final boss. XD

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
When people are like JUMP is for kids, and the data is like
19-24 (25,8%), 25 ans ou plus (27,4%)

---

Shoujo fans are so old wow.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
When people are like JUMP is for kids, and the data is like
19-24 (25,8%), 25 ans ou plus (27,4%)
I thought that with the end of Naruto and Bleach the audience would be renewed. But it didn't.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
"Yonkou's return had no meaning after all. Spoilers are tomorrow."
"Yonkou is a loser and can not become king of spoilers"

Children...
They've said much worse, arguably just as bad as that twitter image that floated around when he left twitter. That entire Jump thread, and 2ch/5ch itself, has pretty much gone to hell now. It was much better, though it depends on your definition of "much" and "better", around 2-3 years ago. You should see how they react to Act-age's artist's tweets and her comments in general.
I thought that with the end of Naruto and Bleach the audience would be renewed. But it didn't.
I honestly don't think it'll ever be renewed. There are simply many more things for kids to do now than focus on manga, even if its 20 mins a week. Despite that, the teen demographic is still rather sizable. Its just that older people who read Jump as kids haven't "graduated" as was the norm in the last decade.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
The bleach live action trailer actually looks decent. They are definitely sticking to Grand Fisher and will probably end it with Bykauya taking Rukia away. That's a good choice instead of trying to cram 50 episodes into a movie. This is more like 15 episodes.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Morita's interview was the most enjoyable. Funny guy. I miss him.

Usuta was somewhat contradictory. On one hand he was harsh, saying that the editors now are too soft and that in the 90's the pressure of the cancellation helped to create more intense series, but at the same time he says that the advantage of him doing a gag is that there was no rivalry. Plus: Jaguar never seemed like the kind of series that had to worry about cancellation. So...

The bleach live action trailer actually looks decent. They are definitely sticking to Grand Fisher and will probably end it with Bykauya taking Rukia away. That's a good choice instead of trying to cram 50 episodes into a movie. This is more like 15 episodes.
The trailer is cool. My biggest problem is always the acting. These live actions have the bad habit of wanting to imitate the original work too much, so the characters look like caricatures rather than real people. In other words: cringe.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
The trailer is cool. My biggest problem is always the acting. These live actions have the bad habit of wanting to imitate the original work too much, so the characters look like caricatures rather than real people. In other words: cringe.
Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm Indian and A LOT of bollywood movies, tv shows and whatnot consist of overacting and cringe. So it's something I'm used to.
At least in japanese live action adaptations of anime, they have some sort of a reason to do it unlike bollywood ones. Like if Ichigo beats up 10 people at ones, you'd believe it or rather its more believable. Not if an Indian protagonist takes on 10 people at once and overpowers all of em.

Obitooooo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Colombia

BLEACH TT for the movie.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India

BLEACH TT for the movie.
As great as that is, it doesn't mean much for now. If it keeps trending for more than 24 hours tho, then it's a different story. But Bleach's fanbase and reach are big enough for it to trend for few hours but we will see if it can trend for any more than that.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm Indian and A LOT of bollywood movies, tv shows and whatnot consist of overacting and cringe. So it's something I'm used to.
Priyanka Chopra is still the best, goddess.

Obitooooo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Total Sales ( 9 april - 15 april ) :

03 ) My Hero Academia : 195.295
04 ) Haikyu!! : 156.833
06 ) The Promised Neverland : 124.136

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Total Sales ( 9 april - 15 april ) :

03 ) My Hero Academia : 195.295
04 ) Haikyu!! : 156.833
06 ) The Promised Neverland : 124.136
No catalog HeroAca volumes ticking upwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.