Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 101 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
what happened to this link? I don't see it anymore. I didn't have a chance to read the article earlier lol. looking forward those future spinoff announcements tho, as well as gonna start shaman king this week so I check the continuation.

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Because Comic Natalie make mistake in new title manga of Seo Kôji. So they deleted tweet.

iceemperor

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Orient was a big surprise in its premise. I looked at the colour page but didn't really read into it, opting to wait for the full chapter. The story starts out cliche with the two leads declaring they're going to become samurai and then the setting twists into a something like Gopun go no Sekai from Sunday. The punchline is still straight battle shounen though and the end reminds me of Black Clover. However, this is much more unique in premise. The characters need more diving into but its a solid start. The art, especially the composition is great.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Orient definitely had a solid start. It managed just about everything well. I liked that there was no tragic beginning or anything, just motives and straight into badassery. Although I guess that’ll come next chapter lol.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Orient was a big surprise in its premise. I looked at the colour page but didn't really read into it, opting to wait for the full chapter. The story starts out cliche with the two leads declaring they're going to become samurai and then the setting twists into a something like Gopun go no Sekai from Sunday. The punchline is still straight battle shounen though and the end reminds me of Black Clover. However, this is much more unique in premise. The characters need more diving into but its a solid start. The art, especially the composition is great.
http://eleore.tumblr.com/?ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/tumblr.min.html

Comments from Ohtaka and Editors T-san and K-san on Orient’s release
Warning: As usual, please note that my level of Japanese is basic at most, so I cannot guarantee that the following is 100% accurate. In other words, these can include misinterpretations, and I might have left some parts out because I didn’t understand them. Feel free to share the link, but please DO NOT REPOST, and don’t forget to support the official releases!!

Ohtaka-sensei
Q. Please, would you send a message to the fans?
Thank you!

It’s a Sengoku Battle manga with swords and motorcycles.

Thank you for your support!

Editor T-san
Q. In short, what’s Orient’s appeal…?
It’s the most ((word I can’t read))Japanese Fantasy in the history of manga!!

While there are other Japanese-style fantasies, I believe none has such an unique world view as Orient.

Ohtaka-sensei aimed to create “a fantasy like no one has ever seen”.

I hope you enjoy this “other Japan” together with Musashi and the others!

Editor K-san
Q. In short, what’s Orient’s appeal…?
“The most straightforward main character of 2018″.

No matter the difficulties, he will keep chasing his dreams.

I’m sure you will love the main character, Musashi! (…)

Please don’t miss Ohtaka Shinobu-sensei’s Orient, the Samurai Fantasy of Dreams, Trials, and Oaths!!

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought the Orient chapter was boring and dull. It feels like another one of those 14 chapter canceled battle shonen weve been getting in Jump for the past 3 years. If it wasn't for the art Id have a hard time telling this was from the creator of Magi

Polisi25

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I thought the Orient chapter was boring and dull. It feels like another one of those 14 chapter canceled battle shonen weve been getting in Jump for the past 3 years. If it wasn't for the art Id have a hard time telling this was from the creator of Magi
I never read Magi before, so I read Orient's first chapter in not having any expectations and honestly, it is easily the worst out of the 2018 entries in Weekly Shonen Magazine. A story definitely needs some variations to avoid cliches, but

The MC seeing big cat things slicing up people after being granted inside for the mining job? Motocycles (well we were warned with cigarettes) when it is supposed to be a Sengoku era? Both MC regroup with useless sidekicks and seeing Nirvana like pillar in the end?
I'm utterly confused by what is he trying to achieve. Right now I am seeing this as a deliberate trainwreck.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have to disagree. I’d argue it’s one of the better first chapters of all the battle shounen I’ve read over the last few years. Premise is whacky and interesting while still being grounded. The demons, and the period aren’t represented in ways you’d expect either. Did a good job characterizing the characters and building the world (2 things most battle shounen seem to totally ignore these days), even if the characters themselves could definitely be better. Nothing terribly cliche or cringeworthy happened that just makes you facepalm (big plus in my mind). There were awesome moments that made you think oooh shiit too, which is uncommon for first chapters. I certainly think it’s well put together, even if it could be more interesting.

I just found myself reading it thinking “yes, yes!” as it seemed to be approaching shitty, cliche events and just barely avoiding them, and proving me wrong.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to disagree. I’d argue it’s one of the better first chapters of all the battle shounen I’ve read over the last few years. Premise is whacky and interesting while still being grounded. The demons, and the period aren’t represented in ways you’d expect either. Did a good job characterizing the characters and building the world (2 things most battle shounen seem to totally ignore these days), even if the characters themselves could definitely be better. Nothing terribly cliche or cringeworthy happened that just makes you facepalm (big plus in my mind). There were awesome moments that made you think oooh shiit too, which is uncommon for first chapters. I certainly think it’s well put together, even if it could be more interesting.

I just found myself reading it thinking “yes, yes!” as it seemed to be approaching shitty, cliche events and just barely avoiding them, and proving me wrong.
I'm not sure if we read the same chapter but it was definitely full of cliches. Everything from the mc to his goal to the plot. I'm not one to rag on cliches but the execution was awful in this particular case. The plot twist regarding the oni was predictable and not particularly interesting and neither are the two MCs and their relationship

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure if we read the same chapter but it was definitely full of cliches. Everything from the mc to his goal to the plot. I'm not one to rag on cliches but the execution was awful in this particular case. The plot twist regarding the oni was predictable and not particularly interesting and neither are the two MCs and their relationship
Can you really call that a "plot twist" since it was spelled out at the very beginning that the oni are bad, and that at the end, the oni turned out bad.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you really call that a "plot twist" since it was spelled out at the very beginning that the oni are bad, and that at the end, the oni turned out bad.
No, good point

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well obviously there were cliches, it’s part of the genre. But none of those cliches were experience-ruining for me at least. They appeared where they had to, and it moved on. All it would’ve taken was MC to be overly lovely for his friend, or to be beat up and use some dumb nakama power/it’s revealed he’s special in some way to make him strong to completely kill my enjoyment. That kinda shit appears in literally everything these days. Yet the reasons for everything in the chapter were rather realistic in comparison, and it was mainly all just down to the MCs personal feelings towards life rather than anything else. His relationship with the friend wasn’t unrealistically overplayed, but there’s obviously something there that will be developed in the future, so even if it’s uninteresting now, I consider that a positive.

Not saying it’s amazing or devoid of flaws, but it certainly avoided doing many of the things typical generic series of the genre do. It covered everything in enough detail for a first chapter without skimping on anything critical, which is fairly rare. I feel you can definitely see Ohtaka’s experience at play.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue 26
Orient (New Series; Lead Color Page; 70 Pages)
Danshi koukokousei o yashinaitai oneesan no hanashi
Tokyo卍Revengers
Hoshino, Me wo Tsubutte
Daiya no Ace
Nanatsu no Taizai
Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet
This Man
Runway de Waratte
Days
Gotoubun no Hanayome
Senryuu Shoujo
Enen no Shouboutai
Hajime no Ippo
Tsurezure Children
Ahiru no Sora
Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Kiss & Cry
Real Account
Domestic na Kanojo
Mako-san wa Shindemo Jiritsu Shinai
Sensei, Sukidesu
Fumetsu no Anata e

Seitokai Yakuindomo (Absent)
Bakemonogatari (Absent)

Issue 27
Bakemonogatari (Lead Color Page)
Orient (Color Page, 50 pages)

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I can associate almost all of them to a FT character without searching
I've never watched or read Fairy Tail before, but isn't that the blue cat thing from the series? Is this series supposed to take place in the same universe as Fairy Tail or something, or is the author just using designs that are super close to his previous work and it's completely unrelated?

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I have to agree. Orient was pretty boring for me too and I really liked Magi.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
Genuinely surprised theres no Fire Brigade anime yet lol.

Ecchi Boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Genuinely surprised theres no Fire Brigade anime yet lol.
I think they want to get more volumes so it can be ongoing like the fairy Tail anime was.

Status
Not open for further replies.