Discussion - Does escanor really love merlin? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Does escanor really love merlin?

LaserBeam

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Yeah i know you are gonna say " dude are you nuts? why we are even talking about this he loves merlin"

I feel the need to just say that at least for me escanor is not in real love with merlin.

We all know he got saved by rosa and when she met merlin for the first time and she even thought that she was her so i think the main reason he likes merlins is because she resembles rosa who saved his life back when he was young.

It's some kind of stupid syndrome of a dude who fells in love with another person that resembles one he knew who did something good to him.

I think he should step up and go find another chick to fell in love and stop fooling himself with this stupid syndrome.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
If this were a series that handled the concept of love and romance with more nuance and complexity, that would make for some good storytelling. This isn't that type of series.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I agree with eefrit. The prime example of that is elaine-ban, a relationship that transcends life and death and was built over a week. The series just has a bunch of couples who are never meant to break up and incidentally all of them are the first person they ever fell in love with. Unless someone is unfortunate enough to fall in love with someone who has already fallen in love.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Yes he does, but I think the resemblance with Rosa was the hook. I mentioned how they added that detail in the anime.

Compared to other relationships, Escanor's idea of Merlin doesn't really fit her character(Super nice etc.). He literally worships her.

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes he does, but I think the resemblance with Rosa was the hook. I mentioned how they added that detail in the anime.

Compared to other relationships, Escanor's idea of Merlin doesn't really fit her character(Super nice etc.). He literally worships her.
she also never seems to talk about him at all and comes off as stringing him along.

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Nice can of worms you done opened.
Lol thx :cheez
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

He thinks he loves her because the love nostalgia about rosa kicked in i do not think he is really even in love with merlin the guy is fooling himself in making himself believe he really loves merlin.

Plus merlin doesn't give a crap about him she lives in her own world and doesn't give a crap about and what the proof is he cares more about arthur because he has some destiny more than escanor omg.

Seriously escanor is stupid and a victim i cannot believe this dude has no pride as a man or you know something?

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm fairly certain its going to be revealed that Merlin loves Escanor. The series jumps through mad hoops to makes sure characters get together.

I'm glad King and Diane are together, but those memory shenanigans were pretty stupid to be honest.

Mel and Elizabeth are literally cursed to fall in love with each other. Even if the love aspect isn't apart of the curse, the series has made a point to go above and beyond to show that they have a "connection".

Ban and Elaine fell in love in a week....nothing more to say about that.

Of the Sins, I guarantee Gowther and Nadia are going to be the only "normal" ones.

Tragicdeath

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Escanor is obsessed with Merlin, it aint love. Love suppose to be 2 way which Merlin thinks of Esca just her comrade. She doesnt even consider Esca as her friend. If I were Escanor Id go with Elizabeth to make it a 3 way fight, winner takes the trophy. Who ever wins against Mel, Escanor and Estarossa gets Elizabeth as their trophy.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I'm fairly certain its going to be revealed that Merlin loves Escanor. The series jumps through mad hoops to makes sure characters get together.

I'm glad King and Diane are together, but those memory shenanigans were pretty stupid to be honest.

Mel and Elizabeth are literally cursed to fall in love with each other. Even if the love aspect isn't apart of the curse, the series has made a point to go above and beyond to show that they have a "connection".

Ban and Elaine fell in love in a week....nothing more to say about that.

Of the Sins, I guarantee Gowther and Nadia are going to be the only "normal" ones.
I don't think it'll happen. At least with Melizabeth and King x Diane there were hints and teasing. Merlin does like him as a friend but there is not the slightest hint that she likes him more than that. And unlike the others Escanor literally worships her. I think Escanor will move on later.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Vampires of Edinburg implies otherwise. At the end of the final chapter, she came to him, complete with wine and fruit in a basket, and requested to hear his poem.

Even if you don't take that as a hint, I think the series has shown that she's a bit more considerate of his well being than she let's on. After the fight against Mel, she knew he was bluffing about the damage he took.

I guarantee that, like King, Escanor's devotion is going to be reciprocated. Hell, the whole Arthur misunderstanding thing is basically a plot point that ensures they'll get together.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Merlin is as a matter of fact very nice. The sins have it as an actual flaw that they are too damn nice for their own good.

Aetherventus258

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Vampires of Edinburg implies otherwise. At the end of the final chapter, she came to him, complete with wine and fruit in a basket, and requested to hear his poem.

Even if you don't take that as a hint, I think the series has shown that she's a bit more considerate of his well being than she let's on. After the fight against Mel, she knew he was bluffing about the damage he took.

I guarantee that, like King, Escanor's devotion is going to be reciprocated. Hell, the whole Arthur misunderstanding thing is basically a plot point that ensures they'll get together.
what happens with king and diane is that they already have a past together, but escanor and merlin they are colleagues and they get along well but that's all, the escanor feelings are obviously unrequited and all the misunderstanding with arthur ends in the fact that the escanor stayed in the friendzone or finally accepted that merlin has someone else in his heart and looked for another woman that if not died before.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really didn't expect people to not think MerlinXEscanor was happening.

Merlin is as a matter of fact very nice. The sins have it as an actual flaw that they are too damn nice for their own good.
Don't think Merlin would be portrayed as going all out just to listen to Escanor's poem. The entire framing and build up of the scene has romantic connotations.

what happens with king and diane is that they already have a past together, but escanor and merlin they are colleagues and they get along well but that's all, the escanor feelings are obviously unrequited and all the misunderstanding with arthur ends in the fact that the escanor stayed in the friendzone or finally accepted that merlin has someone else in his heart and looked for another woman that if not died before.
We never knew King and Diane had a past together until it was revealed. Before that, we had no idea how King was going to slide into that leotard. Diane treated King with the same level of disregard that Merlin (seemingly) treats Escanor.

The same will most likely be the case for these two. Seems like she doesn't love him, then BAM, we get a reveal of questionable quality that guarantees they'll get together. That is how this series operates.

The Arthur storyline will end with the misunderstanding cleared up and Escanor completely reassured that Merlin loves him. I don't even care for the ship, but I'm so confident that it'll happen, I'll take an avatar bet.

Aetherventus258

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
We never knew King and Diane had a past together until it was revealed. Before that, we had no idea how King was going to slide into that leotard. Diane treated King with the same level of disregard that Merlin (seemingly) treats Escanor.

The same will most likely be the case for these two. Seems like she doesn't love him, then BAM, we get a reveal of questionable quality that guarantees they'll get together. That is how this series operates.

The Arthur storyline will end with the misunderstanding cleared up and Escanor completely reassured that Merlin loves him. I don't even care for the ship, but I'm so confident that it'll happen, I'll take an avatar bet.
Oh come on, the "escanorxmerlin" is just a ship more than ever it will be, if nakaba wanted to show something more or some indication that merlin felt something for escanor he would understand it but it is not the case, and there is also the fact of what happened after the fight with meliodas, merlin didn't even bother to ask elizabeth to cure the escanor who was almost dying, while when she rescued arthur she asked elizabeth to cure him even though she knew the situation with meliodas, I think that makes it very clear the supposed love that merlin has for the escanor.

Last edited:

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I really didn't expect people to not think MerlinXEscanor was happening.

Don't think Merlin would be portrayed as going all out just to listen to Escanor's poem. The entire framing and build up of the scene has romantic connotations.

I never said that it won't happen i just said it's stupid because she really doesn't care or she just cares about him as a friend or as a comrade there is no love as for the poem she asked her that he wrote a poem and she was just be nice to him by applying that he wanted to hear it because of good manners i quess or because she just threw a blackout + maximize magic on him to send him unconscious and about the food maybe it's food for her as she spends in her laboratory doing experiments you know she needs to eat right?

The whole merlin x escanor is so plot forced but at the same time it's stupid at least ban and elaine or meliodas and eliz or king and diane had some kind of chemistry while merlin and escanor is not.

It's about a dude who loves a woman because in his mind she resembles another woman but she either don't care about him or he sees him as a comrade at best while she is stuff in her scientific world which is kinda be alone.

Charon913155

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I never said that it won't happen i just said it's stupid because she really doesn't care or she just cares about him as a friend or as a comrade there is no love as for the poem she asked her that he wrote a poem and she was just be nice to him by applying that he wanted to hear it because of good manners i quess or because she just threw a blackout + maximize magic on him to send him unconscious and about the food maybe it's food for her as she spends in her laboratory doing experiments you know she needs to eat right?

The whole merlin x escanor is so plot forced but at the same time it's stupid at least ban and elaine or meliodas and eliz or king and diane had some kind of chemistry while merlin and escanor is not.

It's about a dude who loves a woman because in his mind she resembles another woman but she either don't care about him or he sees him as a comrade at best while she is stuff in her scientific world which is kinda be alone.
Diane didn't care much for King during the first arc either.

Escanor loves Merlin because she was the first person that not only wasn't afraid of him but actually liked both sides of him. Not because of her similarity to Rosa.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't have the impression that King x Diane was treated like Escano x Merlin at all. First, it became clear that Diane had no chance to end with Mel, and even though King appeared as a hopeless man the two shared plenty of moments together and Diane was very nice with him. Plus, there is King Gaiden which was rather early. King's love for Diane didn't make him worship her like with Escanor, he ignored some of her flaws at time but he knew her personality. It didn't feel like King was totally hopeless because of all of this.

Merlin listened to Escanor's poem yes but I don't see what is strange about that. They are friends and he is a poet. She had free time and decided to listen. Things can change but the way it's been handled so far, if the development stays the same I will be disappointed.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

There is no way she doesn't care about him as a friend.

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Diane didn't care much for King during the first arc either.

Escanor loves Merlin because she was the first person that not only wasn't afraid of him but actually liked both sides of him. Not because of her similarity to Rosa.
Yet the first name he said when he met merlin was rosa wasn't it? I am 100% that's what he said when he saw merlin for the 1rst time.