American Politics | Page 282 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

American Politics

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I dislike the middle ground/compromising, at least when it comes to bigotry and shit. The Dems should never have compromised to allow some money to go to Trump's fence/wall. Shit like that is what gives bigots and idiots validation and encourages them to continue their stupidity. One of the main problems is that media like New York Times give trash like Steve Bannon a platform to share their views, when they should be staying away.

Cruz is a conservative and a right wing. A lot of them don't give a shit about the environment or believe in climate change, especially when companies pay them to not care.

I don't see what's wrong with legalizing marijuana. I'm also for legalizing other drugs too, but only if there are safe spaces for the users, they're not stigmatized or judged harshly, and they can get help, otherwise no one benefits (though neither do drug peddlers so that's one good thing). Primary idea behind legalizing harder drugs is allowing users to be able to take them without hiding so that they're less likely to die.

One thing I didn't agree with Beto (or most other liberals/left wingers) is that he's pro-Israel. Should at the very least be against Israel and the shit they do. Also, don't be scared to offend people, especially if it's Trump supporters. They deserve it.

Thunderheart

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah it frustrates me that a lot of conservatives don't believe in how much of an affect on the environment we are making. I am studying Wildlife in college, and so I am around ecosystems and nature all the time for my classes and I research first hand how much of an impact we are making and how global warming has affected us over the years. I am by no means a zero waste person, but I do try my hardest to recycle when I can and to be conscious abut the products I am buying and to support companies that are environmentally safer. I have also significantly started eating less red meat and I try to reuse a lot of my products can have even encouraged my roommates to think environmentally as well.

For me, with the legalizing marijuana I just personally don't see a need for it to be legal for people to consume. I understand that there is benefits to it for certain individuals who find that it relaxes them and that they are able to function in better conditions, but I also believe that legalizing a drug for non-medical purposes that can create issues such as addiction isn't something that I want those around me to have easy access too. Again, this is all my personal opinion so please don't take offense to my values. This is also coming from my own beliefs that since substances such as alcohol and cigarettes have similar effects in the sense that they are both depressants, thus making those who suffer from disorders such as depression feel better yet they are not medically used instruments and have created issues with addiction, why allow another addictive substance into the market as well?

I wouldn't consider myself a Trump supporter nor someone who is anti-Trump. He annoys me, but I don't despise him. I think he more irritates me than anything
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also, tbh I don't know much about the Beto/Israel situation to comment much about it, so to be honest I can't say much about that! :) I would like to think of myself as politically informed, but I know I am still behind on some of my information. A lot of what I look into right now has to do with environmental issues and as such political issues surrounding the environment as well as social issues, and I am behind on understanding world issues. I hate to admit it, but I def need to do some more research about international political issues

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm 95% sure the politicians would believe in global warming if businesses either stopped giving them money or gave them more money to believe in it.

Marijuana is not even that harmful, if it's even harmful. There's nothing wrong with legalizing marijuana, and it would be a blow to gangs/cartels that peddle weed as well. Your opinion is very odd because you're comparing a non-harmful drug to two harmful drugs, especially one that results in horrible consequences when consumed heavily. And as for alcohol becoming illegal despite its harm... that did happen. All it did was see the rise of gangsters and encourage people to drink secretly, IF the police ever decided to crack down.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Cannabis is stigmatized because industries that have no stake in the production of it have literally paid unreal amounts of money to campaign against it's use in any fashion. And that includes it's use as a textile, which has nothing to do with any pharmaceutical use. That and very little money has gone into researching it's beneficial uses.

It's the same with renewable energy. Incredibly amounts of a money are spent by the fossil fuel industry in order to impede the growth of new energy research, because it's in their best interest. It's no different for Big Pharma, etc.

Thunderheart

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm 95% sure the politicians would believe in global warming if businesses either stopped giving them money or gave them more money to believe in it.

Marijuana is not even that harmful, if it's even harmful. There's nothing wrong with legalizing marijuana, and it would be a blow to gangs/cartels that peddle weed as well. Your opinion is very odd because you're comparing a non-harmful drug to two harmful drugs, especially one that results in horrible consequences when consumed heavily. And as for alcohol becoming illegal despite its harm... that did happen. All it did was see the rise of gangsters and encourage people to drink secretly, IF the police ever decided to crack down.
To be honest, I disagree with you on marijuana being harmful. There have been studies shown that using marijuana before driving, for example, does impair someone's judgement and conscious abilities. And I don't want to ban alcohol, I agree that isn't a good idea, but I don't think a drug that causes addiction in society and that can lead to a lack of cognizant abilities is needed or needs to be legalized
Cannabis is stigmatized because industries that have no stake in the production of it have literally paid unreal amounts of money to campaign against it's use in any fashion. And that includes it's use as a textile, which has nothing to do with any pharmaceutical use. That and very little money has gone into researching it's beneficial uses.

It's the same with renewable energy. Incredibly amounts of a money are spent by the fossil fuel industry in order to impede the growth of new energy research, because it's in their best interest. It's no different for Big Pharma, etc.
I didn't like marijuana use before it even became big in the industry buisness. To me it is like vaping- everyone would say how vaping didn't cause any issues but then there has been research done that does say putting foreign substances into your lungs does lead to an increase in the likelihood of diseases and cancers. I just don't think any sort of putting something foreign into someone, especially breathing it into someone's lungs, is healthy

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I didn't like marijuana use before it even became big in the industry buisness. To me it is like vaping- everyone would say how vaping didn't cause any issues but then there has been research done that does say putting foreign substances into your lungs does lead to an increase in the likelihood of diseases and cancers. I just don't think any sort of putting something foreign into someone, especially breathing it into someone's lungs, is healthy
Anti-Cannabis propaganda was propagated by the paper industry, as hemp was seen as a competitor. There's also the notion that cannabis started to be referred to as "marihuana" due to racist, anti-Mexican attitudes. Henry Anslinger is the main force behind outlawing it, and he was supported in doing this by William Randolph Hearst, the largest newspaper publisher at the time.

I'm not into weed, and I won't say it's necessarily healthy to put into your lungs either, but saying it's on the level of tobacco use or even vaping isn't supported IMO. There are rather clear beneficial medicinal uses for cannabis, many of which have nothing to do with smoking it. But those uses are mostly blocked due to it's association with drugs and Reefer Madness-esque propaganda. From it's use with the terminally ill, or CBD oil being used as a treatment for epilepsy and anxiety.
To be honest, I disagree with you on marijuana being harmful. There have been studies shown that using marijuana before driving, for example, does impair someone's judgement and conscious abilities. And I don't want to ban alcohol, I agree that isn't a good idea, but I don't think a drug that causes addiction in society and that can lead to a lack of cognizant abilities is needed or needs to be legalized
Marijuana isn't chemically addictive though. It's not on the level of cocaine, opioids, or even alcohol. Sure people can have problems with it, but does that mean research into the benefits should be ignored and not funded?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Thunderheart

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are y’all watching the Bush 41 funeral right now? It’s so sad...

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
It's sort of jarring to see people blatantly reveling in his death, as if it rights any wrongs his policies may have caused. Even the dipshit that's currently in office had the decency to keep his mouth shut and sit in a pew to pay respects, and he's no fan of the Bush family. He even shook both of the Obama's hands, which I was sort of shocked by, given what Michelle has said recently.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wouldn't have expected them not to shake trumps hhand tbh. I mean, they were literally right next to him while the entirety of the world was watching.

Thunderheart

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's sort of jarring to see people blatantly reveling in his death, as if it rights any wrongs his policies may have caused. Even the dipshit that's currently in office had the decency to keep his mouth shut and sit in a pew to pay respects, and he's no fan of the Bush family. He even shook both of the Obama's hands, which I was sort of shocked by, given what Michelle has said recently.
I think it is more like just honoring the fact that someone who previously fought in WW2 and was a significant figure in history died more than anything else. I don't think people are forgetting what he did or didn't accomplish, more just are mourning that someone important died.
I don't want to say outright where I live, but I will say I was surrounded by a lot having to do with his funeral, and a lot of people here went out of there way to send their respects off with him, which I thought was very heartfelt and sweet

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I wouldn't have expected them not to shake trumps hhand tbh. I mean, they were literally right next to him while the entirety of the world was watching.
Michelle Obama said she would never forgive Trump for what he said. Also, they were further away and there was no pleasantries exchanged between him and the Clintons. I guess it's speaks to the Obama's classiness.

I think it is more like just honoring the fact that someone who previously fought in WW2 and was a significant figure in history died more than anything else. I don't think people are forgetting what he did or didn't accomplish, more just are mourning that someone important died.
No, they are. I saw people all over Twitter literally celebrating his death due to his handling of the AIDs crisis, among other things.

Thunderheart

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just think it should have been a day of mourning the loss of a life more than thinking about what he did or didn't do in the past. It makes me sad to hear so many people complained about someone who just died.

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Weed isn’t as addicting and isn’t as dangerous as smoking tobacco. The reason is most tobacco smokers smoke multiple cigarettes a day whereas cannabis smokers may not smoke everyday.

Since weed has been legal here for about two months there have been pros and cons:

Pros:
  • Boosted the economy by creating jobs and businesses.
  • Tax revenue for schools, roads, and hospitals, etc.
  • Eliminates the black market and keeps money away from criminals and frees up the court system for more serious offences.
  • More awareness and transparency for those contacting emergency services.
  • More research into cannabis for health reasons.
Cons:
There are also laws in place to keep it away from children (legal age is 18-19 in provinces) and prevent drug impaired driving. Some provinces allow smoking/vaping/eating where tobacco laws are applicable (no indoor public places, schools, playgrounds, etc) where as some allow only in residential homes. Packaging and marketing is restricted. Even our government websites (federal and provincial) have more information on the laws and science.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
No, they are. I saw people all over Twitter literally celebrating his death due to his handling of the AIDs crisis, among other things.
What's wrong with that? Some of these people likely lost loved ones due to Bush Sr. fucking over AIDS and HIV positive people, while others may have suffered due to him. He seemed like a good man but a shitty president, which is why he got criticism.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
What's wrong with that? Some of these people likely lost loved ones due to Bush Sr. fucking over AIDS and HIV positive people, while others may have suffered due to him. He seemed like a good man but a shitty president, which is why he got criticism.
What's wrong with reveling in a war hero's death? You serious?

He wasn't a "shitty" president IMO. He wasn't reelected because he reneged on his "No New Taxes" statement due to compromise with Dems in congress and Ross Perot took a lot of his votes away in the General Election. Criticizing a President and his policies has nothing to do with taking joy in someone's death.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
He's not seen as a war hero, he's seen as a war criminal, like the four presidents who succeeded after him. That's your opinion and all, and I'll leave at that because I'm willing to bet you're better educated/knowledgeable on this than I am. Or at least, you remember more about his term than I do.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Not wanting to derail the thread too much, by talking about what feelings are 'right' or 'wrong' when dealing with another's death

What's wrong with reveling in a war hero's death? You serious?
But, to be fair, I think that the fact that if someone was a war hero or not is kinda irrelevant - either revelling in someone's death is ok, or it's not.
War heroes don't (shouldn't?) gain immunity from being considered as dicks [and their deaths celebrated] and shouldn't be treated any differently than people who didn't fight in any wars.

Also, I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing to revel, but I really can't see that most of the people who are joyous in Bush's death have any particularly strong reasons to be so.

Then again, I also get somewhat confused by all of the effusive love and respect that is being offered when any celebrity dies.

I mean, sure, he was the president of the USA (so he's a kinda important [in that he had an obvious effect on history] celebrity), but getting very upset when anyone you never knew, nor thought about (before they died) seems rather odd to me.

To me, Bush's death is the same as Stan Lee, Burt Reynolds, or Scott Wilson's deaths - I didn't know any of them personally and feel very little emotion at all towards them passing on.

Last edited:

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
But, to be fair, I think that the fact that if someone was a war hero or not is kinda irrelevant - either revelling in someone's death is ok, or it's not.
War heroes don't (shouldn't?) gain immunity from being considered as dicks [and their deaths celebrated] and shouldn't be treated any differently than people who didn't fight in any wars.

Also, I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing to revel, but I really can't see that most of the people who are joyous in Bush's death have any particularly strong reasons to be so.
That's fair, but my point was this isn't the case of some scumbag chickenhawk or spoiled-brat bullshit artist farting their way into political power etc. The guy at least knew what real sacrifice was, so regardless of your views on his politics, I don't think his character could be questioned.

Then again, I also get somewhat confused by all of the effusive love and respect that is being offered when any celebrity dies.
Oh I agree, I merely pointed out some of the gross reaction to it. It's not like I wore all black myself lol.
He's not seen as a war hero, he's seen as a war criminal, like the four presidents who succeeded after him. That's your opinion and all, and I'll leave at that because I'm willing to bet you're better educated/knowledgeable on this than I am. Or at least, you remember more about his term than I do.
A war criminal? By whom? You know we're talking about Bush 41 right? Not Bush 43? This is the Bush who waited for UN authorization to liberate Kuwait and refused to march to Baghad because they didn't approve of it, despite many wishing him to. This is a guy who was shot down over the Pacific Ocean and could have easily been tortured, executed and his liver eaten by the Japanese, like some people he served with.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
That's fair, but my point was this isn't the case of some scumbag chickenhawk or spoiled-brat bullshit artist farting their way into political power etc. The guy at least knew what real sacrifice was, so regardless of your views on his politics, I don't think his character could be questioned.

Oh I agree, I merely pointed out some of the gross reaction to it. It's not like I wore all black myself lol.

A war criminal? By whom? You know we're talking about Bush 41 right? Not Bush 43? This is the Bush who waited for UN authorization to liberate Kuwait and refused to march to Baghad because they didn't approve of it, despite many wishing him to. This is a guy who was shot down over the Pacific Ocean and could have easily been tortured, executed and his liver eaten by the Japanese, like some people he served with.
Four presidents who succeeded after him. IF I was talking about Jr., I'd say two. Either way, he's still seen as a war criminal during his presidency, even if he was a war hero when he served.