Question - How Gray defeated Invel's holy armor? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question How Gray defeated Invel's holy armor?

Jhonatas Fernandes

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Because some people, mostly Gray fans from my country, believe that Gray just destroyed it with a normal physical punch and only after this the Devil Slayer made the Ice magic with the same properties as the armor. In my vision, Gray made something similar to what he did to defeat Doriate and used the kamui ice through his body to be able to destroy the armor.

- What do you guys think about it?

WoWfan

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Because some people, mostly Gray fans from my country, believe that Gray just destroyed it with a normal physical punch and only after this the Devil Slayer made the Ice magic with the same properties as the armor. In my vision, Gray made something similar to what he did to defeat Doriate and used the kamui ice through his body to be able to destroy the armor.

You do have the right idea, that is really how he beat Invel. Hey was known to deconstruct ice spells and use their attributes, like how he intended to defeat Silver with his own magic

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada

WoWfan

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
He could not break the ice with the punch upon contact, though we know Gray can break down other ice spells with his ice make, though it does take some time

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're most likely right @Jhonatas Fernandes bcs he definitely didn't just break it with physicals. I believe that he used his Ice devil's slayer resistance to resist the cold effect so he could have enough time to jack Invel's ice by channelling the pure ice through his body like he did with Silver, but took it a step further and remodelled it (via Ice Make) into the gloves he attacked Invel with.

Jhonatas Fernandes

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
He broke it with a punch. Then imitated the ice with his ice make to make gauntlets. Then he beat up Invel with those gauntlets. Chapters here to read for yourself: https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-69934/chapter/mrs-chapter-100034175

Also, Invel said it was demonic ice so that may have played a factor. Or not. Doesn't really matter.

Why would he bother himself to imitate the ice if he could just keep punching Invel with his normal hand until the dead? (I mean, if he has strenght enough to destroy the kamui armor with a normal punch why he would copy the armor ice to punch Invel?)
For me, it's clear that he being able to copy the same propertie of Kamui armor was necessary to defeat it. He was '' trying to molding''it when was in touch with the armor, so when this powerfull ice pass throught his body he could break the armor. He doesn't need to molde the ice to ''dominate'' it (it's similar when he uses Silver's ice to blow a strike in Doriate) and after break the armor he start literaly molding and makes the ice gloves.

The discussion is about this part below. Because if you look here (https://i3.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/500/fairy-tail-8161495.jpg) Gray tried to punch the armor and Invel stop the attack with one hand and start to freeze Gray.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
You're most likely right @Jhonatas Fernandes bcs he definitely didn't just break it with physicals. I believe that he used his Ice devil's slayer resistance to resist the cold effect so he could have enough time to jack Invel's ice by channelling the pure ice through his body like he did with Silver, but took it a step further and remodelled it (via Ice Make) into the gloves he attacked Invel with.
Thanks, the final part is pretty clear, the divergences are about how he break the kamui armor. And you say basically what I believe. <3
Cool ~

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Why would he bother himself to imitate the ice if he could just keep punching Invel with his normal hand until the dead? (I mean, if he has strenght enough to destroy the kamui armor with a normal punch why he would copy the armor ice to punch Invel?)
For me, it's clear that he being able to copy the same propertie of Kamui armor was necessary to defeat it. He was '' trying to molding''it when was in touch with the armor, so when this powerfull ice pass throught his body he could break the armor. He doesn't need to molde the ice to ''dominate'' it (it's similar when he uses Silver's ice to blow a strike in Doriate) and after break the armor he start literaly molding and makes the ice gloves.

The discussion is about this part below. Because if you look here (https://i3.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/500/fairy-tail-8161495.jpg) Gray tried to punch the armor and Invel stop the attack with one hand and start to freeze Gray.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Thanks, the final part is pretty clear, the divergences are about how he break the kamui armor. And you say basically what I believe. <3
Cool ~
I don't know why Gray chose to fight the way he did, but that doesn't change what happened. Here's a recap on what we saw: We see Gray punch at Invel. Invel started to freeze Gray, and Gray eventually punched through Invel's attempt. Then Invel made a note about how Gray was imitating his ice with his ice-make magic, which we see in the form of gauntlets. Gray uses the gauntlets to beat up Invel.

It is important to know the distinction between observation and explanation. Gray breaking the ice with a punch is an observation. How that punch broke through Invel's ice is open to theories, and some theories are better than others. We've seen Gray redirect Silver's magic before. Visually this scene doesn't resemble the that. You can see broken shards of Invel's armour even when Gray's gauntlet is already being formed in the bottom right hand panel of the last page. It's not impossible that Gray used his ice make magic to warp Invel's armour, but none of the dialogue implies it. It was said that Gray was imitating the ice of the armour, not reforming it. It should be noted that the idea that Gray was warping Invel's ice to make his gauntlets initially came about due to Mangastream's poor translations, and just stuck around because not enough people bothered to check Crunchyroll for the official translations. There's a much simpler explanation for why Gray was able to punch through the ice: Invel's ice was demonic, so Gray simply had a slayer advantage.

Last edited:

WoWfan

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
His punch was stopped right in its tracks, which he could not do without something to help him bypass the armor, which is why he can use the ice of others though his body and use it as his own maker magic, he can even make vulnerable, even in wikia it is stated that he remolded and shaped it to his own. Though it could possibly be because of it being demonic but even then, it was ice that meant to bypass ice resistance. I am going with the former on this as it helps make sense with this scene.

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Power of friendship...duh lol

Otaku shrink

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Remolding Invel’s ice with demon slayer magic with a side of love-driven bloodlust and rage.

Nemispelled

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I would say that your way of thinking is the right path. I agree that a normal punch would be an absurd explanation since Gray would've been frozen solid if he ever made direct contact with Invel's divine ice.

With that said, I think Gray breaking Invel's Ice-Rendering Divine Raiment armor has a two-part explanation to it:

Part 1:

First, Gray has to prevent himself from being frozen by Invel's divine ice before he can do anything else. As Invel stated during their fight, his Divine Ice Raiment armor has the power to freeze anything it touches, which even includes neglecting his opponent's resistance to ice.

This is precisely the reason why Gray had to cover his hand in ice before he punched Invel. (In these 2 panels: [1] [2] - Notice the ice around his arm when he punches).

The layer of ice around Gray's fist acted as a buffer zone to give Gray enough time to channel the divine ice through his body and convert it into his own form of ice magic. Without it, Gray would've been frozen immediately upon contact with Invel's armor, just as it had been stated.

Ultimately, Gray channeling the divine ice through his body and and integrating it into his own magic is what prevented him from being frozen permanently by Invel's ice armor.

Part 2:

Once Gray gained control of Invel's divine ice, he also had the ability to combine it with his Ice-Make Magic and Ice Devil Slaying Magic to break Invel's Raiment armor.

This part of the battle didn't strike me as anything new since it had already been shown numerous times in the past that Ice Wizards are capable of breaking their opponent's ice.

As far as I'm concerned, the durability of Invel's Raiment armor wasn't any different from regular ice that we've seen in the past.

The only special property that the armor had was that it could freeze anything that it touches, which was the bigger concern for me in that battle.

If Gray could overcome being frozen by Invel's divine ice (which seems pretty clear-cut to me), I see no reason why the entire battle wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:

afromarco005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
"The power of friendship" of course where were you those last couple hundred chapters? FT is garbage

WoWfan

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I think this can be closed now since we all know the answer since Gray took control of a portion of Invel’s ice and utilized it for his own molding magic.