Shounen - Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka | Page 21 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Interesting :hmm she reused the cover from Bessatsu for March
Pretty good cover, but not as artsy as the others

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Interesting :hmm she reused the cover from Bessatsu for March
Pretty good cover, but not as artsy as the others
Pretty much & its my least fav cover tbh (wasnt a big fan of vol.12 that much either). I was hoping to see Uesugi or Amako on the cover.

I think she reused the cover from March issue since we have a magazine cover & LCP for the next issue. Plus we have illustrations for gift purposes (which may or may not be new) in the next issue. Also Ohtaka showed the preview of an upcoming illustration

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Pretty much & its my least fav cover tbh (wasnt a big fan of vol.12 that much either). I was hoping to see Uesugi or Amako on the cover.

I think she reused the cover from March issue since we have a magazine cover & LCP for the next issue. Plus we have illustrations for gift purposes (which may or may not be new) in the next issue. Also Ohtaka showed the preview of an upcoming illustration
God damn, Tsugumi :D
Is this the very first time Ohtaka made something summer/beach inspired. I really dont remember her doing anything for Magi?

Yeah, volume 13 is my least fav as well. Although i did kinda like volume 12. It fitted the end of Awaji quite well.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
God damn, Tsugumi :D
Is this the very first time Ohtaka made something summer/beach inspired. I really dont remember her doing anything for Magi?

Yeah, volume 13 is my least fav as well. Although i did kinda like volume 12. It fitted the end of Awaji quite well.
Didnt she do one with like Alibaba & Kouha lol? I could be wrong. Either Ohtaka forgot or maybe she meant that she's doing an ecchi one :teehee

That's true, it is a fitting cover

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Didnt she do one with like Alibaba & Kouha lol? I could be wrong. Either Ohtaka forgot or maybe she meant that she's doing an ecchi one :teehee

That's true, it is a fitting cover
Oh yeah, she actually did it, for the blue ray :smile-big i forgot about that lol
The Alibaba and Kouha one, but also a trio shot of Yamraiha, Morgiana and Pisti in a bikini :verily

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The only thing i know from ACGT Studio is Freezing, but thats almost oldschool anime at this point and i dont remember anything amazing animationwise.
On MAL there is also shown that they did the incest mom isekai anime, but that was a collab from what i see.
Imo big oof at the moment, but i guess i gotta wait and see. Still i dont really expect much lol

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Why have I not been reading this glorious series? It's amazing. O _ O As expected of Ohtaka-sensei.

I dearly hope Sense-scans can catch up... and that there are still translators for this at all. Though the latest ones are atrocious, translating key words like Kisshin into Demon God. Like, really? In a fantasy Japan? *Screams bloody murder* It makes a man willing to just learn to read raws.

Anyway, I binged this series. It is glorious. I think it is equal to Magi but distinct enough to be its own work. Actually, it probably will be better than Magi. It seems focused enough not to turn into the multi-versal headache it was later on...

All the characters are lovable. Even the Not!Sinbad, though honestly I was hoping Shiro would kill him. That magnificent bastard. He is almost my equal. Zehahahah! The only one I don't really like is the chibi with the giant sword. Why, Ohtaka? Why?

The latest arc has been intense and overall exceptionally excellent in quality. It's had so many good emotional feels and plot twists. And all the characters have developed.

Poor Akihiro. Why did he have to go and become empathetic at the end? He really could have been a good ruler, but he just didn't want it. It's funny, but he did always act introverted. But now we see why only at his end. Would have been nice to build up to that sooner. And I do think he had found himself obsessed with glory to a point. His behavior doesn't quite add up otherwise. Though I guess he just made a mistake during the battle with the alchemy monster, and just didn't realize how much in danger his family was. Which is kind of hypocritical of them. He sees that he almost lost two siblings, so he keeps them out of the direct fighting thereafter, but they don't respect him for it anyhow, despite complaining how he didn't help them earlier (which just felt like a missight on his part)

Obviously the Orochi is not going to escape in time. Or I would assume not. The Black Kisshin is already a little too big. And it seems like there'd at least be an arc traveling to the north of Hi-no-Moto before the whole country is split in half by the monster.

Last edited:

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The only one I don't really like is the chibi with the giant sword. Why, Ohtaka? Why?
Imma pretend i didnt read this :^_^
Joking. But its quite surprising to see a dislike towards Naoe. He is like one of the major standouts in the Awaji Island arc. I quite like the guy, but now im interested if there is anyone else who dislikes the poor chibi guy :xp

Last edited:

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
England

Orient is scheduled to broadcast in 2022

Orient Staff & Studio Reveal
Director: Yanagisawa Tetsuya
Series Composition: Kunisawa Mariko
Character Designer: Kishida Takahiro
Music: Fukasawa Hideyuki
Studio: A.C.G.T.

Orient Cast Reveal
Uchida Yuuma (VA): Musashi
Saitou Souma (VA): Kanemura Kojirou
I’m not that knowledgeable on anime production, but I’ve looked into some of the people who are going to be working on the Orient anime.

Takahiro Kishida has done character designs for tons of well regarded shows; Baccano! , Durarara!! , Haikyu!! , Serial Experiments Lain, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Welcome to the Ballroom, and JJBA: Golden Wind. He also did the Monster Design in “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime”. Character Design in anime is really important, even in cases like this where the anime is based on a manga which already has character designs, the character designer’s job is to make sure those designs are able to animate effectively. This is a good video on the subject

>Pokemon Sun and Moon: The Importance of New Anime Character Designs | Animator Spotlight

1:18

Kishida is a respected animator and character designer, so much so that he attracts talent to the shows he does the character designs for, according to Anilist.

>Kishida's designs are well received by animators and attract talent into shows easily. He is also praised for his great shot framing skills and copies of his layouts are widely distributed in the industry as drawing reference. Nowadays he is mostly only credited for character design in the shows he participates in, but in reality he works as an animation director uncredited quite often. He rarely heavily corrects the key animator's cuts, strongly believing that the animators' distinctiveness should be noticeable.

JJBA Golden Wind is considered to be the best animated JoJo Part so far and it supposedly had a lot of freelance animators, so I guess it hinges on if Takahiro Kishida is able to attract enough talented animators to this project.

Hideyuki Fukasawa has composed the music for quite a few video games and anime, Monster Hunter Frontier, Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, Vividred Operation, The Flowers of Evil etc. The biggest project he has worked on is probably Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works. Notable examples for Orient are Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams which is also set in Japan near the Sengoku Jidai and features demons. Intrigue in the Bakumatsu – Irohanihoheto and Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu are both set in Japan but during a later period in history. In this interview he mentions doing a serious study of traditional Japanese instruments in preparation for Bakumatsu and apparently composing for this series was pretty easy for him.
http://www.vgmonline.net/hideyukifukasawainterview/

Listening to the OST for Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams on YouTube, I’m liking the fusion of traditional Japanese music with more modern styles of music. That’s what I wanted for Orient, fits with the feudal Japan setting with the addition of anachronistic elements like motorcycles and helicopters. I was hoping for Taku Iwasaki but this guy seems like he could do a good job.

Tetsuya Yanagisawa seems to have a decent amount of experience in the industry, though as far as directing he’s mostly known for Highschool DxD.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=563
Going off his twitter he seems to be quite the fan of Godzilla and giant monsters in general, so that’s fitting.

Orient is going to air in 2022 and A.C.G.T. hasn’t headed the production of an anime since Dies Irae: To the Ring Reincarnation in 2018 according to their Wikipedia page. That doesn’t seem like a good sign, though I guess since Orient is the only thing on their plate it might have their undivided attention. Maybe, they seem to have done some collaborative work since then, according to Anilist and MAL.
https://anilist.co/studio/179/ACGT

But yeah, I don’t think I’m going to get my hopes too high either.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Imma pretend i didnt read this :^_^
Joking. But its quite surprising to see a dislike towards Naoe. He is like one of the major standouts in the Awaji Island arc. I quite like the guy, but now im interested if there is anyone else who dislikes the poor chibi guy :xp
It's his art that bothers me more than his personality, which I still dislike but not in a way that puts me off from the story. It is just... he's clearly like... 5, physically? He reminds me of the chibi djinns.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yup Kishiro's is an excellent CD & the composer is fantastic but the director & studio is very questionable. I called it that is was Kishida on the WSM thread when the anime was first announced :cheez...makes sense considering how complex the designs of Orient can be and he is one of the few who can do it justice
Also, I'd like someone like Kishida who worked as a character designer for Jojo part 5 to be the character designer
They went above & beyond with the composer choice which is nice.

Orient needs to be 2 cour and this studio hasn't done a 2 cour show in well over a decade so that's a big yikes. The studio choice is basically the biggest offender for me, if it was a different studio I wouldn't have been bothered so much tbh. A director is experienced but not experienced with shows similar to Orient (or at least has a good reputation for it), it could go either way but again studio worries me the most.

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Im looking at Kojiro and really asking myself who the fuck is that lol ....
Even Musashi is kinda weird.

Kojiro is voiced by Soma Saito. He did Yamaguchi from Haikyu and also Tatsumi from Akame ga Kill
As for Musashi, he is voiced Yuuma Uchida who is voicing Kawaki in Boruto.
Imo the VAs are good but they should have been switched with Soma voicing Musashi, and Yuuma voicing Kojiro.

Im really praying that the studio will at least try to give it justice, but i will definitely go in with somewhat lower expectations.

Last edited:

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
^The designs look good but are watered down in this visual. I think the criticism that I have about Kojiro is that shouldn't his eyes be a bit purple? It's not a big deal but I don't think the studio could live up to the sharp designs

To copy/paste from what I said in the bessatsu thread...

I was watching the crunchyroll stage and the series compositor - Mariko Kunisawa - was pretty much saying how she had to cut/rearrange a lot of the material. She could be talking about the slow pacing it had with the earlier arcs (which is good since the pacing could use a lot of work) or they have to cram a lot of stuff into 1 cour (which is worst case scenario). Like I said before, this studio hasn't done 2 cours in well over a decade...

Personally I would go in with low expectations given the studio they're working with. At least the music should be top tier since the composer (Fukasawa) worked on Fate UBW soundtrack.

You guys should check out the website, we can see some of the backgrounds and they look quite nice but again go in with low expectations.

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
England

Comments from Ohtaka and some of the staff.

Creator Shinobu Ohtaka shared the following comment:

"The staff of the Orient anime are hard at work making the best anime they possibly can. As an author, I can’t wait to see new life breathed into my characters, and see how they move when animated."

Director Tetsuya Yanagizawa commented, as well:

“I’ve been reading shonen manga since I was a kid. I’ve learned a lot from manga. I love strong characters, and the way they stay true to what they believe and fight through any trial has given me courage many times. I like weak heroes too. When somebody falls and then gets back up again, they always grow as a person. Sometimes fighting with your friends, or laughing with them... I like all those kinds of manga. And Orient has all of that. I’ve always wanted to make a show like this."

As did series composition writer Mariko Kunisawa:

“The world of Orient is the society we live in. The more I read it, the more I realize that.” I want to share the things that make this manga great with as many people as possible, and both the director and I are working are hardest at it.”

Those backgrounds do look pretty nice.

Mariko Kunisawa - was pretty much saying how she had to cut/rearrange a lot of the material.

The Magi adaptation did this and it turned out bad imo also I hear that the Ascendance of a Bookworm adaptation (which she worked on), removed important details from the LN. The only section I can see being cut without losing much is chapter 18. Orient is monthly now so it will take a while before it can accumulate more chapters for a potential season 2, so them burning through 100 plus chapters on a single cour seems unlikely.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Using the inspect command, I was able to download those images in their entirety.

[/ISPOILER]