Seinen - Desert Punk by Usune Masatoshi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Desert Punk by Usune Masatoshi

rhyuho

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Desert Punk
By: USUNE Masatoshi
Genre: Action, Dystopia
Serialized In: Comic Beam
Mangaupdates

After a nuclear war turns most of the Earth into desert wastelands, surviving humans had used the sands in order to survive. One of them is a professional mercenary named Sunabozu, who makes a living by hiring himself out to anyone who needs his talents.

ok i've just recently started watching the anime desert punk and I also just found out that its an ongoing manga what I dont get is why is no one scanning it
thats a shame so im starting this thread in hopes someone will pick it up
and if you dont know anything about this series just think if Trigun was more seinen thats a pretty good selling point

Last edited by a moderator:

Seta Soujirou

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: Desert Punk(AKA Sunabozou)

its a pretty good anime...some ecchi and action...not bad at all...

v_sh

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Sunabozu by Usune Masatoshi

i'm new here so hi everyone!!!!
can someone tell me if there is a place to get sunabozu manga?!?!?!?
i'v searched a bunch but not even a clue......
so i'd be glad for the help!!!
see ya!!!!!

Xiphias

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Sunabozu!!

i'm new here so hi everyone!!!!
can someone tell me if there is a place to get sunabozu manga?!?!?!?
i'v searched a bunch but not even a clue......
so i'd be glad for the help!!!
see ya!!!!!
No one has scanlated the manga yet.

v_sh

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Re: Sunabozu!!

o man... ty ....

UchihaCelis

Reaction score
Country
Colombia

so you know if the manga has been translated yet sice funimation liscenced it?? ive been looking for it bt it hasnt even been scanlated or come out in RAW. plz someone scan it

Mhelo

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia

How could someone convince a person in japan to scan this manga just like any onther that are out there, or is it that unpopular that it's not worth it?

Bassment

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I really enjoyed the anime.
It's funny, the protagonist is like no other. He's strange, perverted, ugly, yet weirdly cool in his gear. He seems to be a coward, yet he's principled.
But I don't get the ending though.
Did Kanta
die in the end?

Mhelo

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia

As far as i think,
he didn't die, just went on the other side the manga is ongoing as far as i can see on wiki and bakaupdates and the main protagonist changes to Kosuna
and if the anime is made by manga till volume 12-13 that would mean that the last release was in 2004/05 which would mean it's discontinued or on a long pause, or maybe there are more volumes in Japan but nobody bothers to fix the numbers. I hope for the last.

Antanaru

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Re: Desert Punk (Sunabozou) by Usune Masatoshi

To bad no one is Editing it, definitely more worth it than most of the series scanlated by xx number of groups -_-

gemste

Reaction score
Country
United States

Does anyone have plans on translating this?

Akiyama

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Desert Punk will return after a 4 year 2 month hiatus, in Monthly Comic Beam magazine's September issue out on the 12th.

Source ANN

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Volume four and five are out, I just started reading today. The guardian of the dark ages ruins have finally been identified, the end of the arc is not what I expected.

If anyone reading this post has not read Desert Punk, I highly recommend it. One of my favorite series.

Goral

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland

Since I've commented on a much, much, much worse manga (Arms Peddler) it would be a crime to not comment on one of the best manga I've read (and anime I've seen). I've become a fan of this title the moment I saw anime (which was in 2008) but unfortunately, until a while ago there were only raws available. Thanks to GWR it changed and I'm really, really grateful to them. Anyway, below I'll try to explain why I consider it as one of my favourite titles (try since my English skills are far from good and sometimes you might read it as if it was done through Google translator).

Sunabōzu is a unique manga, interesting from start to finish and even though humour wasn't too refined (it was more of a college humour) I consider it as one of the most valuable reads I've had in my life as a manga reader. Paradoxically, despite it's often primitive jokes or out of the top behaviour (sometimes even cartoonish) of characters, there are not many manga that depict reality as well, even if it's in a setting almost completely unknown to us. The same goes for characters who we see as made from flesh and blood and not ink and paper. It's very rare to find characters such as these. Since the world they live in is more cruel than the one most of us know and here motto "survival of the fittest" is a fact and not just an empty slogan, characters behave very logically in such conditions. The main hero (and most of other characters that have at least half a brain) are pragmatist and/or opportunists. If there was a chance to screw someone over they don't miss it, if the opponent has an advantage they don't think twice about withdrawing. The latter action is something that most mangakas do not consider. Main hero would run ?! That's ridiculous. He can't. He must stand firmly and fight with his foes and surely he will defeat them because of sheer fighting spirit... Well, not in Desert Punk (but in Arms Peddler unfortunately yes). There is no honour here, no pardon, what matters are results and effectiveness. It reminds me of Fallout game (but not crappy Fallout 3 but Fallout 1 - godly game) and maybe that's why I've loved it so much. It also reminds me of Firefly (the best tv show ever) and I haven't found any cartoon/anime or other tv series that would get even close to it.
Even though the plot isn't very original, carrying it out is. Desert Punk surprises (in a good way) in every chapter. Often I had to pick up my jaw from the floor, even more often I laughed (my sense of humour isn't too refined :P) and sometimes my adrenaline level would rise. There are only few manga/anime that could trigger such reactions from me and even fewer that managed to maintain it from start to finish (Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Legend of Galactic Heroes, SPT Layzner, FMA, Urasawa's mangas, Romeo no Aoi Sora, Kemono no Souja Erin, Kaiji and that's about it). So if you're looking for a non-schematic, action manga, something that would allow you to relax and something you won't forget than this manga is for you.

Manga and anime are unfortunately very under-appreciated. This title has disappeared in tons of sh*t that floats around and are considered as masterpieces when they can't even compare to Desert Punk (e.g. Code Geass which is mediocre at best). The proof of that is that no fansubbers have translated the anime and manga has only one group that's interested in doing it but is very slow because of the amount of other projects they have. Which is very sad. On the other hand such poor manga such as Arms Peddler is being scanlated by two groups. I can't understand it. *sigh*

Goral

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
New chapter is out:
http://mibscanlations.blogspot.com/2015/02/desert-punk-62.html
http://bato.to/read/_/302984/desert-punk_v11_ch62_by_gantz-waitingroom

I've got good news and bad news. The good news is obviously that DP is back. The bad news is that I'll be cutting corners and won't clean raws, straighten crooked pages, etc. but only copy/paste with some very basic typesetting. Otherwise it would take me too much time which I don't have and I would like to finish this project. Thanks to Etienne the project stayed alive when no one was willing to translate and thanks to Ikkyusan the quality of translation stayed the same. Ikkyusan especially deserves credit because he translated up to 13 volume so at worst you will get the translation and raws can be easily found on the net. I have time till February 26th and I'll try to scanlate as many chapters as I can.

BTW, does anyone have the raw of 15th volume? Can't find it anywhere (only password protected files which may be fakes).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Volume 15 is out thanks to @Utsune and @achyif !

https://quicksandscans.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/sunabozu-volume-15/