Video Game Rules, Guidelines and Index
~Video Game Rules, Guidelines, and Index~
Welcome to MangaHelpers very own Video Game Sub-forum. Here you can talk about all of the platforms and games you've ever enjoyed (or maybe didn't enjoy), whether they are old or new!
Before you go discussing away, please review the rest of this guide as it provides valuable information on how this section works.
Table of contents
Guidelines and Rules
Prefixes: what are they and how to use them
- Remember to make your posts thoughtful and always try to invite good discussion, and have respect for other people's opinions. If we feel that you are deliberately looking to start trouble or to annoy people, don't expect either your thread or your posts to last very long.
- We have a nice community here and try to keep it as wholesome and friendly as possible. If you make a lot of offensive posts - anything sexual in nature, for example - they'll be deleted. If you include a lot of vulgarity in your posts, that won't be tolerated too often either. So don't be immature and silly, and you'll be just fine. And please, be kind to each other.
- Look before creating a new thread: No one likes clutter. So before creating a new thread, please look to make sure that one doesn’t already exist. We know that dredging through a forum; looking to see if that one specific topic exists can be tedious, but there are few different features that will make it easier for you. One such feature is the “search” function. It’s located at the top of most pages and will greatly assist you in your search. When clicked, a small drop down menu will emerge. Click on the advanced search link and you'll be taken to a new page. Under "search by keyword" change the parameter from "search entire posts" to "search titles only". Type in the name of the game you're interested in and, if a thread exists, it'll appear. Another way is to utilize the prefix system that has been set up. For a detailed list and explanation of how this is used, please see the Prefix section of this guide.
- Make your title is very clear: if you are creating the thread, please make sure that the topic is sufficiently self-explanatory in the title instead of making it something like 'OMG How awesome is this game?' Please, please, don't do that - if you make vague titles, even if you have an excellent first post, be prepared to see the title changed by the moderators here to better reflect the subject of the thread.
For a complete list of forum rules, please review the General Rules, Guidelines, and Forum Etiquette thread.
- Above all else - have fun! That's why we are here, right? To engage in fun-filled discussions with other people who share the same interests.
Prefixes: What are they and how to use them
Prefix [pre (before) + fix (fasten or attach) = fasten before] or Prefixes are words we use to classify and categorize threads. Each section has its own unique set of prefixes that are completely customized to fit the sections own specific needs. Here, in the Video Game Section, we have set up the system based around three distinct categories: General Use, Genre Specific, and Franchise Specific Prefixes. Listed below are these categories, the prefixes they contain, and a brief description of them.
When making a new thread, be sure to properly attach the correct prefix to that thread. This is necessary because it allows other members to search the section for threads of a similar nature. For example: If I was interested in RPG’s, I would select the RPG prefix from the pull down list “All Prefixes” and then hit the “Show Threads” button to the right of it. This will allow me to view only the threads with the RPG prefix.
Section Specific Prefixes
- Info / Rules - Mod Use Only: The Info/rules thread (sticky)!
- Games - Any Game related Thread. (Rpg, Action, Fantasy, Shooter, Fighting, Sports, On-line, ect.)
- Platforms - Any Discussion related to Consoles. (Xbox360, Ps3, Wii, PC, etc.)
- Discussion - Any hangout and discussion about general topics regarding the world of gaming.
- Archive - Mod Use Only: Used for Archiving.
To get you started, here's a quick and simple list of fun threads that you might want to check out.
The Games Hangout Thread
The Final Fantasy Thread
The Steam Thread
Favourite Game Music
Little-Known Games That You Absolutely Love?