Help with two things... (SFX and yarou)
Firstly, I was wondering if there's some sort of SFX guide lying around?
Or that, if it isn't so much trouble, someone can write one up? :p:p
Because I personally have not done English translations for more than 9 years for manga, the places I get stuck the most is... the SFX :scry
While yes, I do read American comics every now and then (still following Angel), the sound of screaming seemed to always be "AHHHHHH" regardless of the gender and what not... Is there a better way to do the Japanese "Kyaaaaaaa" or "Gyaaaaaa"?
Secondly, I'm just curious, what word would you use for "yarou (野郎)" in English? Originally, I wanted to use "A-hole" or "Bastard", but A-hole seemed to be a bit too much while Bastard doesn't seemed to bring out the flavor of the word... Is there any more suggestions as to what word to use?
Re: Help with two things... (SFX and yarou)
The keyword for SFX is 'Onomatopoeia' :)
Here's a list of Japanese Onomatopoeia sites I posted aaaages ago:
Wait, I gonna merge your question with the SFX thread. It's high time to push it up >.<
Done and stickied~
Fine, we're going to re-structure this section tomorrow. I'll do that in a hidden section, so this thread (and others) will vanish for a while. Better bookmark the links today if you need them to be available.
As for yarou, according to my German dictonary that translates to something like rascal, wretch or dude. Bastard or jerk would work too, depending on how it's said.
Spanish onomatopoeias ( Bang meow, bam)
Spanish onomatopoeias Guide
* abeja (bee): bzzz (zumbar) — buzz
* búho (owl): uu uu (ulular) — who, hoo, hoot
* burro (donkey): iii-aah (rebuznar) — heehaw
* caballo (horse): jiiiiiii, iiiiou (relinchar) — neigh, n-a-a-a-y
* cabra (goat): bee bee (balar) — b-a-a-a-a
* cerdo (pig): oink-oink, oinc-oinc (grunir) — oink
* cuco (cuckoo): cúcu-cúcu — cuckoo
* cuervo (crow): cruaaac-cruaaac — caw
* gallina (hen): coc co co coc (cacarear), kara-kara-kara-kara — cluck
* gallo (rooster): kikirikí, ki-kiri-ki (cantar) — cock-a-doodle-doo
* gato (cat): miau (maullar) — meow
* león (lion): grrrr, grgrgr (rugir) — roar, growl
* oveja (sheep): bee, mee (balar) — b-a-a-a-h
* mono (monkey): i-i-i
* paloma (dove): cu-curru-cu-cú (arrullar)) — coo
* pato (duck): cuac cuac — quack
* pavo (turkey): gluglú — gobble
* perro (dog): guau guau, guau (ladrar) — bark, bow-wow, arf, ruff
* pollito (chick): pío pío — chirp
* rana (frog): cruá cruá, berp, croac (croar) — ribbit, croak
* tigre (tiger): ggggrrrr, grgrgr (rugir) — roar, growl
* vaca (cow): mu, muuu (mugir) — moo
Ay Ay Ay - oh my, overwhelmed, stressed
Ouch - ay
uf - oh
uy - opps
punches: paf, pum, pin-pam-pum, puf (in the stomack)
explosions: bum, bam
shots: bang, pum, ratatata (machine gun)
break: crac, cric, trac
Boom = Bum
Ay si, yá! = Just figure out something or just relized something
My own knowledge
Please list any onomatopoeias that you know about.