Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (7/6/15 - 7/26/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 636 by cnet128 , Gintama 552 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nigeria's Dilemma

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Holt's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Nigeria's Dilemma

Nigeria is supposedly called 'The Giant of Africa'.
    However, its anything but.

For a country of Nigeria's status, it might be surprising to know that firstly, power (electricity) isn't stable. We actually call it light so I'll use that.
    I've stayed in Nigeria for years (easily into double digits) and yet, light has never been stable. When I say stable, I mean it doesn't stay, it hardly comes and its usually poor (dim bulbs and low current) when it does. A lot of electronic things get damaged this way and more often than not, using a generator is a better alternative. This is actually the case in would-be top spots of Nigeria.
    In the worse parts, light probably does come for months (3 months isn't a big deal by Nigeria standards). Everyone uses a generator. Those a bit unfortunate and not so well off can't do anything for themselves.

Every president talks about this when campaigning. They promise to stabilize light as soon as they take the helm but they never do.

Then there's Corruption. Lord! This is the biggest issue. The leaders and politicians are all like this. You wouldn't believe that a President would rather spend billions of Naira meant for the public to go around bribing officials to rig the elections so they can retain power than actually do a quarter of their responsibilities. Frankly, the elections aren't about votes in the slightest. Its usually a pissing contest between the candidates about who has more money/influence to toss around to win. The outgoing president hand picks the successor (not literally, but he uses his power to ensure he wins) so the successor would continue to 'feed his pocket' even though he is out of power.

Then there's Boko Haram. These guys have gathered so much international recognition that almost everyone knows them now.

Its a disturbingly pathetic situation. Being a Nigerian, it feels hopeless. The things holding back the country (Corruption basically), is so deep-rooted that its like the norm. Even critics/journalists that should speak up and condemn, are kept silent when they by those in power throwing some money to them.

I would go into more but this would become excruciatingly long. To think of Nigeria growing out of its ways seems like a mere fantasy to put it mildly. I often wonder why those in power, simply overlook the hardships so many people face. The things they do, you would think that its impossible for them to be human, for them to also have the same hearts as others. Riches/power, it corrupts them so easily. They get carried away and lose touch with reality, simply turning a blind eye to the sufferings they subject the masses too by their options.

I might not be able to exactly put myself in the shoes of those many people enduring hardships but just seeing these things completely break me.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nigeria's Dilemma

I know a couple of Nigerians where I live and I've heard them vent about corruption back home as well. (It's a common theme in a lot of countries I've visited too, actually.) The people I know have also specifically mentioned Boko Haram, and have been very upset about the whole situation. Still, I have faith in Nigerians (and the indigenous peoples of every nation) to achieve equitable, accountable governments that will overhaul things for the better. (There are obstacles in the way, but it is not impossible to do.)

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly not impossible and I hope for better day ahead as well. Its just, its been the same song for ages now.
    As for boko haram, atleast something is finally being done. Some of the towns have been recaptured by the military and bomb attacks have been thwarted on numerous occasions, a number of them have been apprehended as well.
    More has been done in the past few weeks than in the last 5 years.
    Its mind-boggling and there's still a ways to go but its progress nonetheless.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

let me start by saying...I hope you and your family are far away from those dangers.

this is one of the many things that really pisses me off about my country.i love my country,but our unsympathetic behavior towards African nations(countries with people of color in general)is the main reason I believe we as a nation are frowned upon.
    but,believe me....it is our government and not all of our citizens who are unsympathetic to these atrocities....
    while my brothers and sisters are being eradicated in Nigeria and sudan(many more nations)....in the meanwhile we chase poppy farmers and oil mongers.
    we ran so fast to protect Kuwait because of the wealth.....but did nothing in the sudan after millions lost their lives.look how we treat Haitians only because of something that happened with france over 70yrs ago...French people can come and get visas here.but,a raft full of starving Haitians land on our shores...they are packed up and shipped back to the very country they were willing to die to get away from...wtf.

I tell you....it really gets under my skin when I think about the flat out racism that exist in the supposed "land of the free,home of the brave" towards these "non-profitable conflicts"....I just hate it.all this even with a black president.

but,if it is any comfort....we may not have the electrical problems,but our govt. corruption is by far worse....maybe tenfold.
    Last edited by gnut; February 28, 2015 at 01:58 PM.

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes we are. Boko haram is mostly based in the northern part, and we are in the southern parts, it doesn't make me feel any better because its still Nigeria but we are indeed safe.

Well there was a time we were apparently going to get international help from US and other countries. A lot of Nigerians were pleased because technological, experience, weaponry etc wise, Nigeria isn't as advanced. It felt like boko baram would get squashed in a matter of weeks and suddenly there wasn't any talk about that anymore. Eventually we still had to contend with it ourselves. Personally, I'd prefer for Nigeria to be more competent in handling terrorism, its nice to receive help but if you can't handle the situation at all, itsretty disheartening. Thankfully they've upped their ability to deal with it. With help from Cameron, a lot has been done in the past few weeks.

Really? I usually think Nigeria is on another level in corruption. Its pretty sickening. Every single person abuses what little power they have. Even the regular cop harasses drivers on roads, just to get a little money, usually less than a dollar (converting from naira). Can't begin to count how many accidents have occurred thanks to that.

I'm pretty surprised to hear corruption is bad there.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont get me started on police

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously? I guess I've been watching too many movies. It always seems as though things are very decent in other countries.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We just had nationwide protest over police brutality...they are killing young brothers like its going out of style....
    just google ferguson missouri

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I've heard of that. Michael brown and others as well.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...very shameful acts by those appointed to "protect and serve"

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mostly a racism thing right? I guess things are shitty around the world.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You said it brotha...its fucked up no matter where you live....

14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Seriously? I guess I've been watching too many movies. It always seems as though things are very decent in other countries.
    It is not. Though granted, we do have it better than Nigeria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Mostly a racism thing right? I guess things are shitty around the world.
    Debatable, actually. Eric Garner and Akai Gurley are the only ones I know of that were completely innocent when they were killed as result of police. Akai was an accident, but Eric was choked. Race may have played a game, but I think that had more influence on the officers (not Akai's killer) not being indicted though. Trayvon's murder was the worst though, even though Zimmerman wasn't a police.

Anyway, sucks for Nigeria. Problem is that power can corrupt, so even if you overthrow the leader/s you'd still have to be sure the successor/s aren't or won't become greedy.

Same

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post

Anyway, sucks for Nigeria. Problem is that power can corrupt, so even if you overthrow the leader/s you'd still have to be sure the successor/s aren't or won't become greedy.
    True but you'd expect they would atleast get some things done. Instead everyone is focused on carting away funds and bribing their way into and out of everything.

MH Senpai 神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

People are selfish. They probably don't see any hope in their situation. You should be what Naruto and Inari were and inspire your area to rebel!

Same

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast