Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (6/22/15 - 6/28/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
New Reply
Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83
Results 1,231 to 1,243 of 1243

Thread: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

im looking for a new book to read. something along the likes of a first person perspective,slice of life, caycher in the rye kind of vibe.. suggestions?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading The Girl with Dragon Tattoo . Lisbeth Salander is my favorite female character of all time. Her attitude is so fun... I laughed like a madman when she took her revenge on that rapist bastard.

Of course the mystery present in novel is equally fun but Lisbeth steals the show.

Noblesse Forever!

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

So I recently wanted to order some books for my bookshelves in my room and didn't really know what to get, so I just googled some book lists made by people.

Of the books I ordered from thriftbooks (pretty good site. Free shipping to the US and you can usually find some $3-$4 cheap books) I've read:

Disgrace by JM Coetzee

and

Never Let Me Go by Kazuro Ishiguro

They're both extremely well written and I would definitely recommend them for anyone who is looking for an adult contemporary novel. If you're like me and really sick of young adult novels, then give them a try.

I'll talk briefly about Never Let me Go, since I enjoyed it more of the two. I can't really talk about the plot, since it would be very spoiler-ific, but I'll give some general things. First of all, it's an unexpected sci-fi and a tragic love story. So if you're sick of happy endings, then you might also give this one a try. (Actually both of these books have extremely unhappy endings, so it goes for either one). The writing is so natural and a very realistic and lovely narrative by the main character. I don't always like books told in first person, but this author does it flawlessly.

I've recently found out that it's also a movie!! So I'll definitely watch that soon and see how it is.

Also just recently bought the song that it's named after. XD

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Completed Millennium triology by Stieg Larsson. First book (The Girl with Dragon Tattoo) is really great with the old serial killer mystery, corporate scams and a kickass heroine. Lisbeth is an amazing character and her personality is really solid. No bullshit moral dilemma or anything. She takes maatters in her own hand and the scene when she takes revenge on her guardian is mind blowing.

But as what usually happens the sequels are rather disappointing. Book 2 is fine as we get to know about Lisbeth's past but neverthless dragged out. Book 3 is totally disappointing and predictable. We know pretty much everything what would happen at the end from start but instead of creating some good suspense or new mystery or something author just waste pages on boring police meetings, etc. True police meetings are important in a crime novel but they really don't work here.

Overall first book is really worth reading but sadly sequels are really disappointing.

Noblesse Forever!

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

As always, the book was much better than the movie. The movie always loses 80% of the meaning.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

RIP Terry Pratchett. You were awesome.

Hope Death turned out be just like he wrote it.

9. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Repenting Smut Peddler MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished reading Orfeo and Ancillary Justice couple days ago. Both novels are good, and I enjoyed reading them. I am thinking about picking up London Falling but it seems the reviews are polarizing, so anyone knows if it is any good?
    Last edited by Doraku; March 14, 2015 at 08:16 PM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished White Plague

Starts slow but took off insanely fast. After about 100 pages in it became one of those books that you can't put down. The scientific mystery behind the nature of the disease afflicting the trapped marines, as well as the race against time to reach them before the Chinese made it a better than average science x military story.

I grew to love the characters. The friendship between the main character and his college friend as well as the new characters involved in his life on this mission made it a pleasant read. I also enjoyed how romance wasn't thrust upon us however it did go back to the usual divorced lead that these stories love to have. It would be interesting if we did have diverse leads in these stories.

In any case, White Plague is an excellent story that is relevant for the times. The northern pacific and melting ice could truly harbor new diseases.

SoTaku is Love | Todoroki x Kaminari | Team Haikyuu!! | Team BLack Clover | Team Food Wars!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for some good novels where protagonist is transfered to a new world/dimension. It can be fantasy or sci-fic. I guess Chronicles of Thomas Convenant or Narnia fits but I hated Narnia (it was full of preachy stuff ). Amber Series also count but it too got dragged out later on...

Secondly I'm looking for time travel novels. The only time travel books I have read are Outlander (which got too dragged out in sequels, and I didn't liked it much to begin with), The Time Traveller's Wife, The Anubis Gate and The Time Machine

Thanks.
    Last edited by strixflash; March 17, 2015 at 02:33 PM.

Noblesse Forever!

Repenting Smut Peddler MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strixflash View Post
    Secondly I'm looking for time travel novels. The only time travel books I have read are Outlander and The Time Machine.
    Try the Anubis Gates. My memory is kinda hazy because I read it a long time ago, but I still remember it was an entertaining read. I think it was printed in 1980s, so if you're looking for something recent, it might not fulfill your criteria.

---------- Post added April 03, 2015 at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was March 16, 2015 at 07:33 AM ----------

Station Eleven is a really good book, I recommend it to everyone who loves post-apocalyptic stories and hoping for a fresh idea on the premise.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Jesus fucking Christ.

Cloud Atlas.

This book is a literal roller coaster.

Fuck.

That was one hell of a story.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Judith Mizell's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, to make a difference, I would want to share my fave reading material which is " The Five People You Meet in Heaven" It will change what you knew about life after death. I guess, everyone will love books written by Mitch Albom especially when you will try reading more like, "For One More Day" and Tuesdays With Morrie"

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be on a politics type of reading scheme. Read a book called The Influence Machine: The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Corporate Capture of American Life

The Influence Machine is an interesting book but its hard to really figure out the take home message of the book. The writer goes through many examples of how the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has been helpful in the past but then to how it has been detrimental in the present. Much of the book was spent dinging the President of the Chamber of Commerce, Tod Donohue and and his allies for their many wrongs. In sum this probably was about one hundred pages worth of material. It all came in a negative light and almost made me think that perhaps the book should have just been a detailing of his time at this place or even his life. The writer also started off with the premise that it was the right/Republicans that were often benefiting from the influence of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, but that seemed to not be the case with the chosen examples. Often times the numerous Republican politicians were on the side of supporting moves to help the common worker through stricter controls on pollution, secondhand smoke concerns, acknowledging global warming and climate change, Clintoncare, trucking legislation. However if the people in position were not on the same platform as the Chamber of Commerce (meeting their 75/100 points needed) then they would find themselves lacking support and potentially out of a position. There were even democrats as part of the Chamber of Commerce, so this position taken for framing the Influence Machine was an odd one to have based on the examples given. Even the ending paragraph implies that its the Democrats responsibility to put forth social advancement and prosperity. Arent Republicans after prosperity too, and in the case in this book, also after social advancement? Odd conclusion chosen.

SoTaku is Love | Todoroki x Kaminari | Team Haikyuu!! | Team BLack Clover | Team Food Wars!

New Reply
Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83