Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (6/22/15 - 6/28/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Gintama 548 (2) , One Piece 790 by cnet128 , Bleach 631 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to travel to Japan (and how to work there)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

How to travel to Japan (and how to work there)

Apparently, on this forum (I have read the rules), there is no prohibition for posting offers.
    Actually, it's not something from which I would like to make a profit, it's rather an initiative to defend the interests of those who want to travel to Japan, or to work in Japan. So, here is a description of this initiative :

It is obvious that finding a job in Japan can be a difficult task (employers often have a lot of requirements), and that available jobs (teaching jobs for example) are not always satisfactory. Moreover, travelling to Japan and staying there is costly.
    Therefore, I think that we (those who look for a job in Japan and/or want to travel there) should put together our skills and financial resources to start a company in Japan, a company which will hire foreigners like us, and use a part of its profits to pay stays in Japan for people having funded it.
    I think that the most obvious type of business we could start would be an importation business, but other ideas are welcome.
    I have still other ideas about how we could make money with this company, but I wait to see how many people would be interested before I disclose them.
    If you are interested, contact me by PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zimbardo's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to travel to Japan (and how to work there)

I haven't found staying in Japan to be particularly costly, but that is by the by.

What would you import?
    Why Japan?
    Have you ever run an import business before? - and how would your business succeed where others already exist (and have already established themselves)?
    Where would you base your business?

I feel you may be more successful joining an already existing business - but if you want to start your own business, perhaps this site would be useful for you.
    Isn't it beautiful?

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

How long did you stay ?
    If you stayed there for a long time, did you have a job there ?

I think about importing European food first.
    I chose Japan because :
    a) I know a bit Japan (and therefore, I know a bit what is easy to find and what is difficult to find, which is important when you want to start an import business)
    b) I have liked staying there (and I would like to live there later)
    I have never run an import business before.
    My business might succeed because I would import things that have never been imported, but which might please Japanese people.
    And I have had an idea of a business model that may allow to decrease significantly risks of commercial failure.
    I would base the business in Tokyo (I know that it would be expensive, but I have an idea too about how to raise a lot of money once a bit will have been raised).
    I don't want just to start my new business. I would like to start a business that would benefit many people who want to go to Japan.
    Joining an already existing business would :
    a) be egoistic
    b) be probably difficult (being hired by a company doing business in Japan while not mastering the language is difficult)

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I stayed there for a year and a half, I had a job and could speak next to no Japanese.
    Sure, it is immensely useful to speak the language but, depending on which job you are looking for, you can get by without.
    Especially if you can speak English - many places actively search for English speakers.

Not sure why joining an existing business would be egoistic - and sure, for some jobs, it will be difficult without at least a fundamental grasp on the language.

I never lived in Tokyo, but I do remember running into a few places that stocked foreign foods - The main issue, other than the lack of good English cheese, is that the prices are astronomical. I am not sure that you would be able to get around this though as import costs are probably also quite large for perishable products (and these tend to be the ones which I found were hard to come by).
    Isn't it beautiful?

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

What was your job in Japan ?
    How much time did you need to find it ?
    How high was your salary ?

Many places look for people who are native English speakers. So, if you are French, like me, it means that 95% of the typical jobs for foreigners (as language teacher) are out of your reach.
    Apart from that, you can find some job with tough working conditions (as seens from a Western point of view) and a low salary.

And yes, prices can be high for imported goods, because taxes at customs are very high, but I have in mind at least a few goods which would still have a reasonable price after having cleared the customs.

Joining an existing business would be egoistic because I wouldn't help other people.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked as a scientist.
    I am not sure really how long it took me, I found it by talking to professors within an institute I was visiting.

Working long hours/tough working conditions is kinda a Japanese thing - as in everywhere else, the salaries will be based on the job searched (language teachers not being the most well paid).

I did know foreigners, who were not native English speakers, finding jobs in Japan though. For example, one of my friends was French and she found a job in a bakery when she had finished her teaching position.
    I also know people who found jobs working in hostels/hotels as knowing foreign languages was a great asset.

I can't imagine someone going straight into a well-paid job, however, without some grasp of the Japanese language.
    Isn't it beautiful?

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you worked as a scientist, you know that examples can't be generalized.
    I have met one or two French people in Tokyo who found jobs there, too (and I didn't stay as long as you).
    However, for one who succeeds, how many fail ?

I am surprised that, on a forum which gathers so many fans of a typically Japanese art, so few seem to be interested in travelling to Japan, unless of course, they all have already been there, and found that it was not interesting to stay a long time there.

MH Senpai 神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you figure that very few seem interested in traveling to Japan?

Same

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Because there have been already a lot of views, and only two people posting in the thread. I would be delighted to find out that many people there would like to go to Japan. Maybe there have already been threads on "Who would like to go to Japan ?" and on "Who already went to Japan ?". I should perform a search. But then, if some of you want to go to Japan and find my idea dubious, uninteresting, or bad, they can say so. It's a forum here, so I suppose that people who have an opinion know that expressing their opinion, although it might be a negative one, is quite okay (and obviously when you open a thread, you should be ready to see very different kinds of opinions, including negative ones).

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

And how do you know it has nothing to do with your idea? I know I'm still skeptical at your idea and feel it could be a scam. Hell, I still think you're a scammer or a spammer.

Why would people say they're skeptical or something? They don't have to post if they don't want to. If you open a thread, you have to be prepared for no post at all.

Same

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Holt's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

I check on lots of threads but don't necessarily feel the need to post if there isn't really anything to post. I did open this out of curiosity but if I wanted to venture to Japan or get a job/start a business there, I wouldn't look to a forum or thread first. I'd rather take a more professional approach and I don't have much interest in Japan to begin with.
    Things like this could easily go awry and people tend to he very skeptical. Some might just not be interested.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.
    But currently, I am just looking for people who might be interested. I am not asking people to give me money. And if we reach the point where money has to flow, I am not even sure that I will be the one who collects the money.
    Which kind of information do people need to see that I am not a scammer or a spammer ? My engineer's degree ? One of my pay papers (I used to work as a teacher in economics in high school and undergraduate classes in Paris) ? A copy of my passport, with scans of the pages where the Japanese immigration office put their stamp ? A post detailing some parts of the story of GTO ?
    Things can go awry, sure, like for any investment. But if you want only returns without risks, you may never see any return (because when there is return without risks, people flock en masse to collect the returns, and in no time, there isn't any more any money for the others to collect). When you draw a manga, you will spend hundreds of hours drawing it, with the risk that nobody will ever read it or buy it. If I were promising high returns without risks (that's what Madoff promised), I would probably be a scammer (or an absolute genius). What is the point of trying to raise little amounts with a niche proposal if you are a scammer ?

Who did tell you that I didn't try a more "professional" approach ?
    I live in a country where there are some business angels. I have already met one of them. I have met a few dozens of people who were supposed to help entrepreneurs. However, I faced a wall (or rather walls). In my country, many people have an opinion about a given business idea, but they hardly ever do anything. They are, too, people who want the perfect plan : returns with almost no risks. As for the people who are in the business of helping entrepreneurs, they only do very standard stuff. In short, to do something professional, you need to work with other professionals. If you just meet people who are not professionals, but people who want to see magic, you can't do anything professional. But maybe you have a precise idea of what a professional approach would be, something that I have not tried ?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Holt's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to say you are a scammer or you're not legitimate and not saying you haven't put efforts into this as well, I'm merely sharing my thoughts (which you asked for).
    Money will obviously be needed whether you ask for it or not. Even being legitimate, you are equally open to a scammer taking advantage of you and others. Something like this is pretty sensitive. On a forum like this, there are users from multiple countries. This is doing business with people you've never met and maybe unlikely to meet, how can one be sure that the contact details as well as information shared is accurate? Not to mention, something like this would require serious planning and strategy that warrants meetings and not just talking over the web.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything but people mostly come here to discuss manga. Its an unlikely place to find business partners. Those interested are probably skeptical and others are probably just not interested. I fall in the latter group by the way and this is just my opinion.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, all of this makes sense.

I went here because I wanted to find people who are likely to be interested in Japan, or at least, who are more liikely to be interested in Japan than the average person.
    If I could, I would look for such people elsewhere, but I can't think of many free ways to contact people interested in Japan.
    I try to use Facebook, too.
    Finding business partners (whatever the business) is difficult, too, and, according to my experience, much more difficult than finding people interested in Japan.
    Where would you look for business partners for this kind of business ?

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure you're not gonna find that many people willing to join you here. Majority are either too young or don't make enough to go to Japan. Most also would prefer to visit Japan, not have any kind of attachment there, especially one where they can potentially lose money. Choosing a forum to advertise your idea was not a good idea as this is a place to discuss manga, not talk about traveling or anything else.

Offering proof doesn't make me think of you as any less of a scammer or spammer, especially when you sound defensive. You should find a forum full of rich people and try to convince them, or people who can afford to gamble their money on a business venture.

Same

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast