Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/18/15 - 5/24/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
And what's the matter about Seinens ? shonen mangas like rurouni Kenshin for ex has a main character who's not an archetype,I'm not sure about the point you wanted to make
Bonds are made basicaly because the crew live through s**t together, last time I was okay with interactions was when Ussop decided to leave & thriller bark arc ending between zoro & sanji.Quote:
Hmm, rurouni Kenshin is an archetype character, the pacifist. >___< Asking Kenshin to stop being a pacifist meant that he isn't Kenshin anymore because the whole character defining of Kenshin is the conflict between kill and not killing. Likewise, Luffy is a head strong who always get what he wants via his willpower. Thus, all the shitty stuffs happen toward the first half of One Piece defined Luffy as a character. It doesn't matter how much he wants, reality has a different plan for him. The point is this. One Piece is still One Piece. It is an improve One Piece of the early One Piece. Manga that went down hill ceased to be whatever they was initially at. Bleach was presented as a slice of life/supernatural manga. Then it turn to a generic fighting manga. Some manga made the great transition but others doesn't. And some cease to be what it was.Quote:
The next criticism you are gonna voice is that why didn't Luffy change after the timeskipped. Well, I am glad that he didn't. If he did change, then the atmosphere of One Piece would change drastically. In the back of his head, there is some reserved about his experiences but he could still be himself among friends.
Well, you are making statements that you don't think about like at all. Seriously reflect a bit on the chapters and then say something useful. For example, Skypiea showed one of the great growth of Nami. She was a survival, always had been and pretty much like Robin, but then she gave up on her survival instinct with Enel and stood her ground. Robin, initially, held the strawhats at a distance, this reflect on her nicknames of the strawhats. After the Enies Lobby incident, she referred to them much different than she previously did. Zoro and Sanji actually treated Usopp moreorless as their equal this is evident by the fact that those 2 actually held Usopp's accountable for his action and believe in him when Usopp step up to the plate.Quote:
Oh boy, and Zoro held Luffy the most accountability. Man, after the Usopp's incident. And then in Punk Hazard, boy, did he pissed that Luffy got passed out during the battle against CC. But he trusted his captain the most.
Nami and Usopp has a certain bond which go way back to Usopp's story arc and recall those were the 2 that first battle the Black Cat pirates. In many way, Nami was the most relief that Usopp left since she is most empathize with him. And Oda showed that those were the 2 that meet after the postskipped in a bar discussing their strength in the crew.
Even the newer member like Brook had developed a strong relationship with some crew members, one of such is Brook-Zoro, Zoro was the one that get his shadow back. Brook was the one that witness Zoro's sacrifice. Brook was the one that stand his ground against Kuma right after Zoro's disappearance. Those 2 had some mutual respect as swordmen. Oh and up course, Brook and Sanji bond as mutual perverts.
I can go on and on and on and on and on. But why, did you read the same manga that I did?? I don't know at this point.
---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------
Oh, and to classified OP as a generic popcorn manga??? >____< what are you talking about....
I said it is a comfort food?? you know homey food, food that remind you of a certain time and place, and bring comfort. Food that you can eat anytime and place without needing to get into a certain mood for it. But to classified it as a Generic popcorn manga. I don't think, we will reach an agreement if that is your mindset.
---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------
"Comfort food is traditionally eaten food (which often provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the person eating it), or simply provides the consumer an easy-to-digest meal, soft in consistency, and rich in calories, nutrients, or both. The nostalgic element most comfort food has, may be specific to either the individual or a specific culture. Many comfort foods are flavorful; some may also be easily prepared."
Generic popcorn manga O_____________________O
1. Well , i wont say improve Luffy's intelligence , but i would say to give him to ability to follow through with a plan . Its in his character to completely ignore the situation like a child and do what he wants , but as the captain he has a responsibility towards his crew. His latest display at the gladiator games going after the fruit just endangered his crew. I mean he could have been with his teammates and helping them instead. He might gain something important , but that's being lucky nothing more.
2. I'd like it if more people died . I am big fan of Game of Thrones and its because people die. I'd like the crew to gain 2-3 more members while 1-2 die. I'd disregard the point if it makes it senin though.
3. Betrayal . Probably the most important thing in my books when talking about pirates . I'd love if one of the SH crew actually turned out to be a double agent or something [maybe Robin/Chopper] . I mean have them be evil and seriously evil , no regard for the SH crew etc. Just one arc like this and I'd love the manga.
1. I'd give more moments to shine to Zoro, Sanji and some of the others. I mean I'd like an arc with Zoro or Sanji as the main protagonist over Luffy.
2. In near future I'd gift the audience with a crazy prequel about this three:
Let's see... mmmh one thing that i always disliked about One Piece is that Luffy is too silly looking as a protagonist, i wouldn't have anything against him if he was just one of the crewmembers... but come on, he still wears those damn flip flops, still look like he is 13 years old instead of 19 and he is just too dumb, i mean seriously dumb lol (Goku was not dumb in the manga, he was just ignorant when he was a kid) this guy is supposed to be the next pirate king or at least a really important pirate, just think about Roger, Garp, Whitebeard etc. really epic characters that are going to be surpassed by that moron, it's annoying.
So: (these points will probably be similar with some of those already posted in the thread, but i want to add my opinion xD)
1. i would change Luffy appereance and intelligence or maybe change is role altogether and make Zoro the protagonist/captain and let him be like Usopp and the rest of the crew.
2. This manga really need more "feelings" and i don't mean cheesy crap like Fairy Tail, i'm talking about real character development... i was really upset when the Strawhats met again after 2 years and they didn't ask anything to eachother... i mean i expected something like: holy crap Zoro! what happened to your eye!? Franky what happend to your body? how have you been guys? instead we got nothing, they met and it was like nothing happened, they acted as they never left...
3. the caracters need more self-awareness... for example, Oda should either stop drawing Nami and Robin like pornstars and give them a more proper role in the crew or just let them face the consequences of how they dress... by consequences i mean that since they are always wearing revealing clothes while having those bodies (they are perfect basically, just thing about their huge breasts) it should build up sexual tension around them, especially since they spend so much time on a boat while being the only 2 females in the crew. I'm not saying he should go full ecchi HSDK style, but at least he should give a plausible reaction to it by the men of the crew (Sanji doesn't count, what he does doesn't make any sense, he just lose blood from the nose and doesn't do anything else lol).
I can't think about anything else at the moment.
Last edited by ukimix; July 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
If I'm oda, I would add couple of chapters a week or add 50+ pages for each chapter.
Luffy is exactly like that. If something happens, he'll do what he wants without thinking that this might cause a war against a Yonkou or something along those lines.
AND This is why i like Luffy! I wouldn't want him to change no matter what and it's because he's the way he is that he can get so many friends. He's real and honest.
To be more on topic, the biggest thing that annoys me with One Piece is as some people mentionned earlier : THE PACE!
I mean One Piece is a fantastic story full of adventures and interesting characters who all happen to have their own story but what i found sad is that it takes too long to see a character we enjoyed appear on the spotlight. I want to see the likes of Mihawk, Shanks, Dragon, Ben Beckman, PhoenixMarco, Garp, the Gorosei more often or at least hear from them from another character or the newspaper. By continuing at this pace, it will take ages to get to see them in action and this is what pains me the most.
Especially when it took ages to get to Doflamingo and that his spotlight time isn't going to end anytime soon, I sometimes wonder or get depressed to be more precise about the fact that i might not see those characters in years...
Besides, who knows what might happen to Oda in the upcoming years. He might developp a sickness or get into an accident (not that I wish that but no one is protected from that kind of stuff) and this might challenge the future of One Piece.
We cannot predict when One Piece will end because there's too much that hasn't been touched yet, it might take another 10/15 years or even 20 and for something that has been running since August 4th 1997 which is already 16 years that's quite long! So the pace is definitively something that needs to be taken into account.
I'm not saying that everything should be redone. No, everything that led up to this point has been done perfectly but everything that hasn't been done will need to be done at a better pace!
As for the feelings part, I think that doesn't need to be changed. Luffy had his tear times more than enough and his hopelessness when Ace dies was more than enough. He needs a bit of a happy time, give the guy a break.
Luffy is the Captain and that's that. Zoro becoming the captain all of a sudden would just piss me off.
If you see the trend, Silvers Rayleigh seemed like the perfect captain, in his flashback, all he had was Roger grinning like a sheer fool inviting him over to join him and he was pretty disorganized.
Luffy and Zoro just parallel those two and in time Oda is going to make Luffy a suitable Pirate King.
In fact, a lot of people should relax about his lack of common sense. He is 19. He is obviously not going to be the Pirate King at a bratty age of 19.
Just give it time. If you can wait 700 Chapters then you can wait whenever.
Since when was it bad to not knbe able to predict when a manga will end?
I don't want Robin to be the traitor. I think all members of the crew are too important to betray SHP, because they each have a role to fulfill that can't be matched by the other. Chopper is a doctor, Nami is a navigator, Zoro is a clutch swordsman, Sanji is a cook, Frankie fixes and builds, Robin is chockful of info, and etc. Though Jinbei could be the traitor, as it seems SHP can do without him.
I love One Piece to bits but I gotta say, I was really disappointed when everyone else changed after the time skip except Luffy. I wish he'd grown a few inches or something. He ain't much younger than Ace was 2 years ago, so I was really hoping he'd get as tall and buff as he was.
I was just pointing out that there's so much left to do that we can't even approximately point how long One Piece has to go even though it's been going on for 16 years. We might not even be half way and it took 16 years to get to that point, imagine how long we might wait for the end. I don't want to be 40 and still reading One Piece
It was just something i felt to mention and that people seem to forget. Besides Oda is human and he's already 38, no one is protected from disease/accidents.
Of course, I'm not saying Oda should fasten the pace because he might die before OP ends, i'm just pointing out the fact that he's getting older as the years go by and that One piece still has a long way to go.
It's just that i thought that improving the pace would improve the manga because I know I'm not the only one who wants to see Shanks, PhoenixMarco, Mihawk in action.. But obviously, i suppose Oda has planned everything and that in time we're going to see them in a more awesome way that we could imagine.
As a reader, the pace is just what i would change to improve the manga. Although keep in mind, that every reader sees the manga in its own perspective and therefore might be or might not biaised when proposing something that he believes is right because it would make him enjoy the manga more.
Ultimately, we all know Oda is the only master of his own work and this thread is more about fullfilling our wishes to get the ''One Piece'' we want.