Who's your favorite character?
About the list, I know there are a lot of different spelling for the characters, so I decided to be neutral and simply used the order and the names from Wikipedia.
The list is not complete, but I didn't want it to be too long, so I didn't include the less important people, or the ones that died during the first attack (except Marco, because he was much more important).
Although, I'm sure that Mina Carolina might appear in some Top 10, I doubt she would be #1 on any list anyway!
Here's a recent poll from the Japan website Biglobe:
And here's an official one I found which comes from the SNK guide book INSIDE:
That Guide book was released in April, so it's very likely that those votes were taken before the reveal of the Colossal and Armored Titans, explaining why Reiner and Bertholdt are so low in the poll, IMO.
Honestly, I find the results of the second one much more believable than the first one (which is missing Annie and Krista, and where Mikasa ranked in 7th position!).
My personal top 10:
PS: Yeah, no love for boring Bertholdt, or for crazy Zoe...
It was very hard to decide between Annie and Mikasa, because both are so badass.
But in the end, Annie is simply a much more interesting character.
Mikasa is way too unidimensional...
She's strong, and she's in love with Eren, and is willing to die for him...
That pretty much sums her character and her motivation since the beginning of the manga...
On the other hand, Annie is a much much more deep character...
For a start, she's the Female Titan!
So, she's part of the whole Titan conspiracy, and must have a pretty good reason to want to kill every human!
But, despite her goal, you can see that she have feelings, and that she likes the people from the 104th.
I especially noticed that she seems to like Armin (my favorite pairing for SNK is ArminXAnnie).
And there's this whole Crystal thing that makes her even more interesting.
I don't know, I liked her from the very start, and I just like her even more with all of those development in the story involving her.
Last edited by THM Nindo; September 03, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Didn't we have a thread like this already? http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...rite-Character
Shit, I scrolled through the forum, and didn't see it.
Well, this one has more options, and the other is pretty old, so the opinions might have changed with all the new reveals we had in the manga...
I guess I will change this one to a "Top 10" favorite character...
Just so its different from the other one!
Although, the Mods might still want to merge those two threads...
I'll let the Mods decide what to do with this.
Last edited by THM Nindo; September 03, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Shame it isn't multiple choice, so many. Personally I'm with Hanji, Levi, Erwin, and Eren.
My top 10 favorites are:
My top ten, with comments:
1 Mikasa (no shit, look at my username… haha. She's Mikasa, that's it.)
2 Levi (I love reading into his character, and he's very mature and also kind underneath his pissy attitude)
3 Sasha (She's just so genuine as a character, and has changed so much since entering the trainee corps. She also dispatched a titan with only a bow and four arrows. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?)
4 Armin (He's just adorable and so intelligent, saved humanity countless times with his plans, and reminds me of Near / Mello from Death Note)
5 Annie (Very conflicted character, lone wolf)
6 Ymir (She's true to herself and isn't afraid to show her love for Christa)
7 Hanji (I love mad scientists, and she's just so happy it's hard not to like her!)
8 Auruo (I <3 him, he was so funny trying to imitate Levi when he was alive… and it showed that he cared for everyone deeply, even Eren ;_; )
9 Erwin (He's awesome like that, and hard to read)
10 Nanaba (she/he(?)'s just charismatic. And awesome, if it counts)
Too many females on this list, I wonder why… I just realized I don't care much about Eren nor Jean, Reiner and Bert. :| That's… sad? lol
I hate pretty much everyone that comes from within the walls, especially Eren and Mikasa. The only one that I can stand somewhat is Hanji, because she's open minded and she seems to be aware of her own ignorance to a certain extent and trying to understand things.
Otherwise my favorite characters are definitly Ymir, Reiner and Berthold.
I'm neutral about Levi and Irwin because they're badass in what they do but they're still just as ignorant as the others.
Here is my top ten.
Oooh Annie and Levi are head-to-head...!!!
Other than Annie being at the top of my list, I wouldn't rank the rest. Since a few months ago, I'm in love with Jean, Armin, Bert, Sasha and maybe Historia.
Oruo is especially outstanding to me from the Levi's squad, and his interaction with Petra. The scene in the anime (ep 21) right after Petra gets stomped, Oruo goes from shocked to fury. His expression is so cool yet heart-wrenching.
I don't have a top 10 because I like everyone. Sure, my favorite is Jean, and Armin and Ymir are a close second, then everyone else. All the women are amazing and that's why I continue to read/watch snk.
Last edited by Georgie; September 04, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
I voted for Marco above because I will love him forever, but it's hard for me to rank him against the rest, who are getting real development. I'd rather make a separate list for the others in my post here instead. :')
*edit* OMG I didn't realize it but I didn't include Mike! I totally <3 Mike, but he died like Marco so they (& maybe Armin, lol) will have to wait until next time I make one of these, I think. Then maybe I can figure out a place for the dead people to go. (Maybe we should have a top 10 dead people list? Yes, morbid, but I love them too!)
1. Ymir (true to self; most interesting shifter to me at least until we learn more about RBA and possibly beyond)
2. Bertolt (most moe shifter? lol, he's so reluctant/nervous, uses "boku," & has a hopeless crush on Annie.)
3. Zoë (never lost that exuberant bloodthirst from when she enjoyed killing titans! You can't help but get caught up in her exuberance but she also has a great mind)
4. Levi (just like mikasaaa said above, I love reading into this guy's false stoicism. You just know he cares so much it hurts to look at him sometimes...)
5. Annie (I love when "villains" turn out not to be villains, or when they come to question all they've been fighting for, so...)
6. Sasha (started out being a laughing stock; ended up being someone I'm so proud of, I still can't believe it) ;_;
7. Connie (so much potential in this guy. I think he might have the biggest heart of the entire 104th. My heart goes out to him about his village...)
8. Erwin (great mind, and is it just me or is there something "wild" about him?)
9. Hannes (characters who feel they must right wrongs they've done, or repay a moral debt of some sort are another weak point for me...)
10. Jean/Mikasa (I started out disliking Jean for how he treated Eren, but now I really like where his character is going // I tend not to like characters who are just "badass" but she has a good reason for it, and I look forward to the day her need to "protect" Eren becomes a personal investment in protecting the world around them.)
One thing about how I 'rank' my characters: I can never decide between whether to rank "liked" characters or "interesting" characters higher, so I kind of combine the two fuzzily in my head. My rankings can shift easily because of this fuzzy "math."
Truly three-dimensional female characters and a great storyline are what so quickly made this series a favourite for me. <3
Last edited by kannazuki; September 05, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
My top 10:
Won't go in too much on the whys, etc on why I've placed these as I have... I'll say why Mikasa is my favourite though. It more or less comes down to her being badass XD . I like seeing strong/competent/asskicking women in the manga I read (same goes for anime too of course), and Mikasa has that in spades. Indeed, she's so strong that she overshadows Eren (which is rather unusal, especially in a shonen manga), the main character, by being far stronger fighter than he could ever be. But that makes her all the more fitting for the role as Eren's "shadow" since Eren's revealed to have his Titan-shifting, meaning both can kick ass, but of a different sort. It'll be interesting to see where the story takes her and Eren...
2. Hange - She's actually supposed to be my number 1, but for some reasons, I just like Annie better nowadays.
5. Krista - I like how the Mary Sue image she wants achieve is actually just an escape from her troubles.
7. Marco - Because the situation of his death actually had meaning, though it came in quite late. If it wasn't for him, Armin wouldn't have deduced immediately who the Female Titan is.
9. Mikasa - Even if I have her as my avatar right now, she's not really ranked that much higher in my top 10. Probably the main reason why she is even here is because of the faces she makes. Yep. Them faces. XDD
10. Armin - I like characters who can think a lot of steps ahead. But the reason why he isn't ranked 9th though is because I don't like the fact that he was the one to deduce who the Female Titan is. To me, he was the one who truly sold Annie out. That's why I don't like shipping him with Annie at all...Sorry THM Nindo, I just can't ship them . I still like Armin as a character though.
I think I mentioned why I like RBA in the Favorite Character thread. With Ymir and Sasha, I just like characters who wears a "mask" to hide their insecurities and fears. Of course, this applies to RBA and Krista as well.
Last edited by Yumpo; September 04, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Probably because she was one of the most attractive girl of the manga, IMO.
Plus, her feelings for Levi made her a bit more interesting than the others.
I think it's her death that affected Levi the most.
---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------
I might have read the first part very fast, but he never left an impression on me.
Apart from him telling Jean that he's a good leader, and his death, I honestly can't remember anything about him...