Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/18/15 - 5/24/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Secrets of Doflamingo

Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FaustXIII's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

I think most his crewmates are his slaves growing up as a tenryuubito he had many slaves. Then eventually he ran the slave auction house.

He treat them as slaves.

MH Senpai 神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if he did treat Bellamy like crap considering Bellamy's still alive and has a chance to redeem himself. Bellamy is even taking up on that chance with no signs of anger towards Doflamingo, as far as I know or recall.

Same

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FaustXIII View Post
    I think most his crewmates are his slaves growing up as a tenryuubito he had many slaves. Then eventually he ran the slave auction house.

He treat them as slaves.
    Don't think so. Oda's drawing of him as a child shows him in rags. I think he never had the perks of Tenryuubito while he was growing up.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member senadtm87's Avatar
    Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

BB>DD , so NO!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    That part bother me a bit. But I could make some sense out of Ace, if WhiteBeard didn't sacrifice himself, then maybe things will turn out for a different. What Akainu pretty much did was spitting on Whitebeard face when WhiteBeard is making the most selfless decision. And maybe because of Ace that they got into that mess in the first place, he felt that he had to do something. I supposed that is something in the spur of the moment and you can't think clearly because you are so clouded with your emotions. When Ace die, I recall a large portion of One Piece fans in mangahelpers were piss and felt that he die for no reason. I could understand that sentiment.

The whole Akainu and Aojiki dynamic is very interesting. In the overall picture, I still have trouble seeing Akainu as a villain like Magellan. But if he keeps up his good work on Marineford, I may change this opinion.
    well techinically akainu and magellan are just doing their job

so i agree that they arent really villains

however i feel akainu will be a villain in the future

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by senadtm87 View Post
    BB>DD , so NO!
    overall BB will be the ultimate villain in this show

however i actually view blackbeard as just a true pirate

and he has not been the focus or the main villain of an arc yet

BB will have his day soon enough

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I'm not sure if he did treat Bellamy like crap considering Bellamy's still alive and has a chance to redeem himself. Bellamy is even taking up on that chance with no signs of anger towards Doflamingo, as far as I know or recall.
    he definitely put bellamy in his place

but i believe DD is good to those who work for him and do their jobs well

look at how he reacted when law had that art lady hostage, he actually cares for his underlings

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rampeg's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

the greatest villain ever in one piece is the "god" Enel.

Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FaustXIII's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

My ranking would be (so far)

1. Akainu
    2. Eneru
    3. Crocodile
    4. Doflamingo
    5. Blackbeard

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

This may sound biased because Doflamingo is one of my favourite characters, but I really do think he's one of the most complex antagonists we've had so far.

At first he was shown pitting Bellamy and Sarkies against each other, which made people believe he's just like all the other villains... until we were shown several examples of how he actually cares for his subordinates later on. Even in the latest chapters, he was trying not to have Jora be harmed by Law. I find it interesting why he would be portrayed as a good leader all of a sudden. Perhaps there's a deeper meaning behind this?

His past is also something to take note: he was born a Tenryuubito who later discarded that status but somehow still has the same privileges as a pirate. If there's a flashback to his past, I think his will be the first where we get a glimpse into the childhood of a villain. It will hopefully answer why he stopped being a World Noble, why he seemed to have ended up on the streets, and why he holds the worldview he has. ("Only the strong survives" and "kids who know war and kids who don't have different values")

Blackbeard and Akainu are cool characters, but they're your typical villains with little to no redeeming qualities. With Doflamingo, I hate to label him as a "villain" because I think he's much more than that.

9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Crocodile was pretty bada**, I thought. Doflamingo hasn't been that interesting to me. I hope, Oda reveals Kaidou next year.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Doflamingo the Ten Yaksha

In the discussion of Doflamingo, we got quite a variety of opinions. Some felt that he is the best thing coming out of Dressrosa. Others are disappointed. I recalled a disagreement with people like the ladylola, who get so upset over a fictional character that it hinder her enjoyment of those chapters (perhaps the flashback chapters). In this corner, ladylola thought DD is evil beyond redemption. Then there is a corner wishing why DD isn't a bad ass villain like Lucci or Enel, why is Oda trying to make us empathize with him via a sob story.

Dressrosa had highs and lows and most fans are disappointed generally. But Doflamingo had been mostly a high point to me.

I think we should have known where Oda's route in term of DD the character by the time he revealed DD's epithet. This commonly translate into Heavenly Demon. Demon of course is such a broad term.

But Yaksha is not a broad term like demon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaksha

Quote Quote:
    In Hindu, Jain, and Buddhist texts, the yakṣa has a dual personality. On the one hand, a yakṣa may be an inoffensive nature-fairy, associated with woods and mountains; but there is also a darker version of the yakṣa, which is a kind of ghost (bhuta) that haunts the wilderness and waylays and devours travelers, similar to the rakṣasas.
    I have heard term like Yaksha through out my childhood but I don't know the distinction until I came to known the work of Jin Yong's Demi Gods Semi Devils. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demi-Gods_and_Semi-Devils

In this particular work, using the 8 demi gods/semi devils (including Yaksa) as a mold, many characters either have similar personality, background story, and or plot as these figures. (Ashura is also one of the eight but Zoro does not have such an epithet).

Quote Quote:
    Dạ Xoa: (Yaksha) quỷ thần (thần ăn được quỉ), có thể tốt hoặc xấu.
    From my own language here, Yaksha has characteristics of both deity and demon, and the duality of both good and evil. Interesting enough, the speech about good and evil at Marineford came from Doflamingo. And perhaps, Doflamingo had one of the most complex past of a One Piece villain. His past had not justify any of his actions, but rather give the readers a closer look to his psyche and motivation. There is always a duality to DD, the way he treats Monet and Vergo. Or even his reaction when Trebol went down. It certainly believable of Oda's portray DD's reaction to Rocinante and what DD's perceive as a betrayal. And then there is of course, this little respect of human's lives, slavery, and what not.

Oda had many different sort of villains. Each to me very unique. Magellan and Hannibal were the good guys with justice on their side. Enel the epitome of crazy and delusional (love Enel). Blackbeard, the risk taker, who would threw the world in chaos just to climb the ladder of power. Lucci, the cold and calculated. Lucci really push the button when he flooded the underwater passage to play mind game with Luffy. Arlong, a monster created by injustice who buy into the system that oppress him in the first place. Hody of pure hatred. And now, we have a Doflamingo the Ten Yaksha in the mix.

New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4