Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/18/15 - 5/24/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why should we preserve our environment?

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why should we preserve our environment?

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, the most you could potentially do would be handling livestock feces betters but I don't think there is much more that could be done ATM. I can't imagine a safe and natural (and non intrusive) way to handle cowfarts...
    Actually, I had no idea but it turns out there's the idea of "concentrated feed." Doesn't sound very natural though. :/

Quote Quote:
    Anyways, I don't think it makes more sense for livestock to be the main focus here. The biggest source of pollution is fossil fuels for cars and energy production in general and as things stand its not yet viable for a long time to change to other sources of energy, specially for cars. Sure, electric cars have made significant advances but at this stage it kinda seems like we are trading something bad (CO2 emissions) for something worst (everything about car batteries is ridiculously ungreen even without emissions). As far as I can tell the most practical approach right now would be to focus on electricity production. Advances have been made on green energy sources and nuclear plans are efficient ways to make electricity that do not generate greenhouse gasses. Hydrogen does not even qualify as an energy source at the moment so I don't think it can help at the moment. I guess the issue is if there is a clean way to make it at some point (which as far as I know is not quite the case)...
    I wish you were right, I really do, but actually bovine emissions cause MORE environmental devastation than industry or fossil fuels. It just isn't talked about all that often in the popular media.

Spoiler show
    Last edited by kannazuki; May 08, 2015 at 07:10 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    Actually, I had no idea but it turns out there's the idea of "concentrated feed." Doesn't sound very natural though. :/

I wish you were right, I really do, but actually bovine emissions cause MORE environmental devastation than industry or fossil fuels. It just isn't talked about all that often in the popular media.

Spoiler show
    What about the time either spends on the atmosphere? Sure, methane causes more damage within the short term but CO2 on the other hand remains for much longer. Decades or centuries apparently. And we are releasing much more co2 into the atmosphere than we are releasing methane. Assuming feed can reduce methane emissions then its even less of an issue than what it seems even if its short term effects are more damaging. At least, it seems to be a far less complicated issue than fossil fuels which have to do with the vast majority of the world's energy infrastructure.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    What about the time either spends on the atmosphere? Sure, methane causes more damage within the short term but CO2 on the other hand remains for much longer. Decades or centuries apparently. And we are releasing much more co2 into the atmosphere than we are releasing methane. Assuming feed can reduce methane emissions then its even less of an issue than what it seems even if its short term effects are more damaging. At least, it seems to be a far less complicated issue than fossil fuels which have to do with the vast majority of the world's energy infrastructure.
    Oh, good point. According to this it's 12 years for methane and 20-200 for CO2. (Other gases are listed as well.) Another thing might be that the destructive practice of hydraulic fracturing (AKA 'fracking') for so-called natural gas is releasing methane into the atmosphere (as well as people's water supplies to the extent that some people can literally light their tapwater) and I'm only speculating here but I wouldn't be surprised if that's not counted as coming from fracking, but from animals.

*edit*
    Was looking for fracking emissions info and found this (from January):
    Quote Quote:
    The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is proposing a new rule that would require energy companies to report to the federal government all greenhouse gas emissions from oil well fracking operations and natural gas compressor stations and pipelines.
    The EPA’s Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program currently requires energy companies to report only those emissions from fracking operations that involve flaring — the industry’s practice of burning off excess natural gas at a well site.
    Scientists have called for a more thorough accounting of the energy industry’s greenhouse gas emissions so they can fully understand how oil and gas operations affect climate change. Many studies have shown that methane frequently leaks from oil and gas operations, but too little public information exists for researchers to know the specific sources of the emissions.
    http://www.climatecentral.org/news/e...fracking-18511
    Last edited by kannazuki; May 08, 2015 at 09:41 PM.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3