Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (7/6/15 - 7/26/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Gintama 552 (2) , One Piece 794 by cnet128 , Bleach 635 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: What do you wanna see next?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • CP0 coming back to Dressrosa

7 18.92%
  • A party

1 2.70%
  • Kaido learning the news

7 18.92%
  • Give us the Sunny go's crew already!

22 59.46%
New Reply

Thread: One Piece chapter 794 review- Sabo's adventure.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece One Piece chapter 794 review- Sabo's adventure.

One Piece chapter 794 : Sabo’s adventure

Ever since the reveal about Sabo being alive, back in chapter 731, there has been one question that we’ve been asking ourselves : why didn’t Sabo come to Ace’s rescue in Marineford ? The most popular theory was that he was on a very important mission and hence couldn’t be there, but it wasn’t all that convincing. If Sabo had known that Ace was in danger, he would have put everything behind, to rescue his brother. This chapter finally gives us a rather convincing explanation as to why Sabo didn’t make it to Marineford and what he’s been up to all those years.
    As usual the scans are provided by mangastream

Is this a hint about Zou?

This is an interesting cover.Doflamingo is lending his glasses to a real flamingo, but other than the fact that once again Doflamingo’s eyes are hidden, it’s the puppets that are really interesting. There’s four of them, and they represent characters from the Wizard of Oz. There’s even Dorothy. While this is a request from a fan, it’s interesting to see Oda include those characters specifically. Some even believe that this is a reference to Zou, and that it is fact the Emerald city. While it’s too early to come to a conclusion about that, I find that theory quite interesting, and who knows maybe it will turn out to be true .

Sabo tells his story to the SHs.

In the aftermath of Doflamingo’s defeat, the SHs are seen recovering at Kyros’ house, which seems to have been preserved from the destruction that occurred in Dressrosa. Alongside them there is Sabo and Law, but also Bellamy, who while not being an ally strictly speaking, was still involved in these events.It was prolly a wise decision to take shelter in Kyros’ home, rather than staying at the palace for example, who must be crowded anyway. But more importantly with Isshou perhaps going after the Luffy and Law alliance, as it was hinted at last chapter, this might help buy some time for them.
    While Luffy and those injured in the battle are recovering, Sabo starts telling his tale to the rest of the SHs who happened to be conscious. He also reveals that the CP0 are returning to Dressrosa, and that they are in fact after the revolutionaries. I guess that this confirms, in my mind at least, that Cipher Pol are going to be antagonistic of the revolutionaries in particular, since they serve the world government. While the Marines also serve said world government, their priority is to hunt down pirates.Not to mention that the Marines can sometimes act independently of the WG, as seen when Fujitora made a bold move that might result in the WG losing face.

As expected, it was Dragon who saved Sabo.

Sabo reveals that the reason Luffy didn’t tell his nakamas about having another brother, was because he thought that he was dead all this time. His starts telling his tale, and specifically what happened to him after his boat was targeted by the Tenryuubito. His meeting with Dragon after Gray terminal was torched, proved to be decisive, since as many of us expected he’s the one who saved Sabo from a certain death. Using what looked every bit like a DF ability, he pulled the burned up Sabo from the water. I say this because his body seemed to have been floating above the water, not to mention that in the next panel he is seen surrounded by mist or wind, when he regains the ship where Ivankov was waiting. With the incident in Logue town, as Dragon came to Luffy’s rescue, it seems that Dragon’s power is linked to wind, or weather in general. Dragons in Japanese folklore are said to control the weather, so perhaps it is the case with this Dragon. Whether this is tied to his DF or another ability is not certain, but according to Oda his intent was to have most of the strange occurrences in the manga be the result of the use of DFs. So there’s a good chance that Dragon is a DF user.

Sabo suffered from amnesia due to the incident.

After having his wounds treated by the revolutionaries, Sabo wakes up, but without any recollection of what happened, or any kind of memory. He even forgot his own name, and if it weren’t for it being written on his belongings, the RA wouldn’t have known how to address him. The only thing that he seems to remember is that he doesn’t want to go back to Goa Kingdom. This is a rather convincing explanation, Sabo being amnesic would have effectively prevented him from being at Marineford, since he couldn’t remember Ace to begin with. And as to why he hadn’t learned of Ace’s or Luffy’s name beforehand, we have to take into consideration that he is part of the revolutionaries, they don’t really get involved with pirates. They certainly wouldn’t follow the news about pirates as religiously as other pirates, or the Marines for example. The revolutionaries as a force who opposes the WG, are more interested in events that are linked to the WG themselves.

What a cruel way to regain one's memory...poor Sabo .

After seemingly joining the revolutionaries, the flashback moves forward to the moment the RA received the news about Ace and Whitebeard’s death. This event was so important that it’s hard to imagine it go unnoticed.Not to mention that the RA are involved, given that Ivankov (and Inazuma) was at Marineford as well.At the mention of Ace’s name, Sabo’s memory slowly returns as he remembers bits of his past.Images of a child Ace flash before him, and it is only after seeing his picture in the press article that his memory fully returns. In easily one of the most heartbreaking moments, Sabo realizes that the young pirate that died at Marineford was none other than his own brother, Ace.
    In a state of shock, Sabo seemingly loses consciousness, only to resurface 3 days later, with all of the RA getting all worked up.It is funny to see Koala worried like this, it’s completely different from the way she usually acts. She wonders that now that his memories have returned, if Sabo plans on leaving the RA. While it would have been interesting to see Sabo fulfill the promise he made to his brothers about becoming pirates, it makes more sense for him to be part of the RA, because of his hatred for the nobles and the WG’s evil deeds.

The two brothers are finally reunited.

Later on, when they get the news about the Mera Mera being at Dressrosa, Sabo joins the fray to get the DF, and inherit Ace’s will. We also get a longer version of his reunion with Luffy, who wasn’t able to recognize Sabo at first. It is heartwarming to see Luffy jump in Sabo’s arms after he realizes that it is indeed Sabo, the brother he thought was dead all this time. The two brothers are finally reunited, and Oda is a master at conveying emotions. Sabo thanks Luffy for not dying back at Marineford, and with this it seems that all the misconceptions we had about him are lifted. There is no doubt that Sabo would have come to Ace’s rescue, but since he didn’t remember anything of his past, it was impossible for him to do so. No matter how cliché this can be, it makes sense in the context of the manga, and how it emphasizes on the bond between the three brothers.

Sabo takes his leave. His means of transportation is a flock of crows, how interesting.

After his story is finished, Sabo decides that it’s time to leave.He won’t be saying goodbye to Luffy, but he leaves behind a vivre card, only this time it’s Luffy’s. He takes a piece with him, and with this it will be Sabo who will come to find Luffy, not the other way around like with Ace before him. He contacts his comrades from the RA, and he is picked up ….by a group of crows?How peculiar. Well the crows seemed to have been used in the RA’s communication for quite some time now, but what is so interesting about this panel, is that the crow leading the flock can talk, as he answers Sabo’s question about whether he’s able to always gather so many crows at will. He says yes, and with this we get yet another mystery added to the list of mysteries in One Piece. There can be a few explanations as to why a crow would not only call out other crows, but also interact with humans. The most logical one I find at the moment is that it’s a DF user, but whether it’s originally an animal, or a human who uses a Zoan type of fruit it’s not clear. I guess this will be answered eventually.

I quite enjoyed this chapter, even though it’s centered on one character. To me at least it made perfect sense that Sabo would be amnesic and wouldn’t remember Ace, which prevented him from coming to his rescue. Even though it’s an overused trope, the way Oda uses it is convincing, and he always is on point when it comes to portraying the emotions of the characters, whether it’s Sabo when he heard the news of Ace’s death, or Luffy when he reunites with Sabo. And he even drops a few hints like Dragon’s power, and the crows. Oda never ceases to impress me in that regard.
    Based on my enjoyment I’m giving this chapter a 9 out of 10 rating, mostly because we finally got filled in the details about Sabo’s past. This finally puts all that talk about Sabo to rest, as to why he didn’t save Ace.With only a few chapters left in this arc, I can see Oda trying to make the loose ends meet and fill us in on the fate of the Sunny, the CP0 since they are confirmed to be returning to the island, and perhaps hear more of the Yonko, mostly Kaidou.
    Last edited by ladylola; July 27, 2015 at 02:27 PM.

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Black Void's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece chapter 794 review- Sabo's adventure.

Well done. Nice summary, Ladylola. I hope we get some new infos in the next chapter... maybe we get a view at CP0 or Dragon?
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic134950_2.gif

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ayanami000's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope we can see dragon already and his power even if its just for a single chapter right now.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ProGoddess's Avatar
    Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: One Piece chapter 794 review- Sabo's adventure.

Thanks for the wonderful review, my dear.

You have added in an interesting poll. I feel that what you have stated could have happened, either on just one or all. Looking at our author's skill in presenting, he has the ability to illustrate many scenes in one chapter though for each, it may be brief.

Actually I would like to see all, whether it's all in one go with little shots or focus on one particular scene and elaborate on.

There are many unanswered mysteries in many parts of the story in which they will eventually get answered. I don't mind those little bits and pieces appearing, as long as they do not hinder the progress of the story too much, then I think it can be quite fun and enjoyable.

This chapter focuses on Sabo and his amnesia seem to try to win the readers' heart, however it is pretty convincing to most people and in the sense, it seems to be quite reasonable in view of the strong "sword-brothers' bond" between the three brothers. If the story is narrated in such a way say, "Sabo was on a mission", then I think we miss the mark. It may not be as convincing as what it would be expected considering Sabo loves his brothers. Wouldn't he leave behind his job and rushes to rescue his beloved brother, Ace? Hence Sabo's story is acceptable on my part.

~~~~++~~~~Do You Love Me?~~~~++~~~~

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Black Void's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed that in the last panel, the first "crow" ( or shadow of a crow) answer to Sabo. Interesting..
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic134950_2.gif

Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black Void View Post
    I just noticed that in the last panel, the first "crow" ( or shadow of a crow) answer to Sabo. Interesting..
    Yeah I talked about it in the review. It's interesting to say the least.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ProGoddess View Post
    Thanks for the wonderful review, my dear.

You have added in an interesting poll. I feel that what you have stated could have happened, either on just one or all. Looking at our author's skill in presenting, he has the ability to illustrate many scenes in one chapter though for each, it may be brief.

Actually I would like to see all, whether it's all in one go with little shots or focus on one particular scene and elaborate on.

There are many unanswered mysteries in many parts of the story in which they will eventually get answered. I don't mind those little bits and pieces appearing, as long as they do not hinder the progress of the story too much, then I think it can be quite fun and enjoyable.

This chapter focuses on Sabo and his amnesia seem to try to win the readers' heart, however it is pretty convincing to most people and in the sense, it seems to be quite reasonable in view of the strong "sword-brothers' bond" between the three brothers. If the story is narrated in such a way say, "Sabo was on a mission", then I think we miss the mark. It may not be as convincing as what it would be expected considering Sabo loves his brothers. Wouldn't he leave behind his job and rushes to rescue his beloved brother, Ace? Hence Sabo's story is acceptable on my part.
    Thanks sweetie

Concerning the poll, I thought that those options were the most interesting. There's only a few plot lines left. While it's possible that a chapter could cover more than one option from the poll, I do think that in the case of the Sunny or CP0 a chapter dedicated to that event will be more useful. And just like this chapter, I find that the chapters that are dedicated to one character or event at a time are just much more agreable to read

Unlike some I do not think it's absolutely necessary to see Dragon now, let alone get a full explanation about his power. It seems that the main motivation for the RA to come to Dressrosa is because Sabo wanted the Mera Mera. They also went there to retrieve a certain list, that is connected to DD's activities as a broker.It might be possible however for Dragon to appear once Sabo comes back to the RA's base, I do not think that he would have bothered coming to Dressrosa or anything of the like.

There's only a few chapters left (6 including this week's) till the 800 chapters mark. It would be nice if something significant happened, perhaps we could see Kaido's reaction to this news. Actually I'm not just interested in him possibly appearing, even if it's just his outline, I'd very much like to see the reaction of all the Yonko to Luffy defeating DD. This imo will truly put things into motion, by really establishing the goal of taking down the Yonko. And we can say that Luffy already did the first step, by defeating DD who is working for Kaido.The Yonko are challenged now, not just by Luffy and Law, but also by other Supernova crews. It would be nice to see them react to this.
    I do not think that Kaido appearing at this point of the story will cheapen his appearance later on, in Wano for example. We're not even sure that the SHs will fight him there. As such I believe we can still see a shot of him, even if it's just the outline, just like with Big Mom in Fishman Island. It would be a good way to hype the future arc(s), and we can't be sure how many years in real life it would take for the SHs to reach Wano, or whatever island they're bound to fight him.That's my personal opinion and preference, of course it goes without saying that things might not happen like that at all

Thanks guys for taking the time to read my review

9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member $nipe's Avatar
    Country
    El Salvador
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it! It needs more love, though, but I guess people are out on picnics this week due to the week off.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Fundoshi? 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

I had just noticed the wind effect on Dragon after he rescues Sabo; this further hints to his abilities being wind related. The crows for me were the most interesting and intriguing part of the chapter. Before just now, I had thought it to relate to Dragon.

I think we're definitely dealing with a Zoan who can communicate with others of his kind; in the same way fishmen communicate with other fishes. It wouldn't be farfetched.

Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    I had just noticed the wind effect on Dragon after he rescues Sabo; this further hints to his abilities being wind related. The crows for me were the most interesting and intriguing part of the chapter. Before just now, I had thought it to relate to Dragon.

I think we're definitely dealing with a Zoan who can communicate with others of his kind; in the same way fishmen communicate with other fishes. It wouldn't be farfetched.
    Wind seems to make sense, but there's another element that makes sense to me: Water. As I have mentioned in the review, Japanese dragons are deities that are thought to be related to rainfall. They are actually water deities, and the temples dedicated to them can be near lakes and such because they are believed to dwell there. One of the things that seems to support this claim is the fact that Dragon is seen to be "floating" on the water's surface, as he is saving Sabo. Now maybe he can use to wind to make his body stand on top of the water, but it would make more sense to me that if his element is water he would naturally be able to do so.There was also that time in Loguetown when Luffy was about to be killed by Buggy, but he was saved by a bolt of lightning, which was caused by a storm. It seems a little too convenient for Luffy to be saved like that, and it just so happens that Dragon appeared later on. Because of the Japanese dragons being able to cause rain to fall, I think this would be related to his DF that is water based. Well that's just my take on it.
    Last edited by ladylola; Yesterday at 07:34 AM.

New Reply