Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (4/13/15 - 4/19/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Come make your nominations in Fairy Tail Awards.

View Poll Results: Will Leo and Mansherry stay with Law to help reattach his arm?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 92.31%
  • No

2 7.69%
New Reply

Thread: One Piece Chapter 783 Review - Path Blocking

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Syphin's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece One Piece Chapter 783 Review - Path Blocking

One Piece Chapter 783 - Beyond The Limit

Gear Fourth is here!

We all suspected Luffy would at some point reveal a major power-up he developed during the past two years that allows him to surpass his limits and many anticipated that this power-up would take the form of a new gear - Gear Fourth, and alas with this chapter, we finally have confirmation that Luffy has indeed developed a Gear Fourth to push himself beyond his limits. In order to defeat Doflamingo within the hour and prevent anyone in Dressrosa from getting killed, Luffy has taken it upon himself to be the raging storm that blows away the darkness known as Doflamingo.

Trebol fate has been intentionally left unknown by Oda but given the style of writing Oda uses, we can conclude that while Trebol may be down for the rest of the climax, he is certainly not dead. Trebol's role appears to be exhausted with the past surrounding Doflamingo and the seated executives revealed in the previous chapter but there could still be some relevance in focusing on Trebol once Doflamingo is defeated, especially if it includes clearing up whether Trebol is a Logia or not.

How interesting, Robin is able to sprout her limbs without the need of an existing surface

It was great to see that Law's savior was Luffy, and I particularly enjoyed how Oda went about removing Law from the battlefield and from Doflamingo's focus through the inclusion of Robin and Cavendish who have been entrusted by Luffy to look after Law.

Way to go Cavendish, great time to make your reappearance!

Cavendish's reappearance was a surprise, but a welcomed one as he was incredibly useful in protecting Robin as she gathered Law from her net, which she managed to construct with her arms without the need of sprouting them from an existing surface. Cavendish's obsession with popularity to the point of distorting Luffy's statement into a request by a fan was hilarious and a great way to convey how Cavendish was able to bypass his own ego and accept Luffy's request. It was also great to see Cavendish understand the importance of Law's wish to remain on the top level of the plateau in order to witness the defeat of Doflamingo or the fall of Luffy. To compromise agreeing with Law's desire, Cavendish chose to remain with him on Flower Fields. Beyond his obsession with popularity, Cavendish is actually a really understanding and compassionate guy not to mention a gentleman (well done giving Robin your coat Cabbage), I can't help but like him more and more with each panel.

What an understanding man Cavendish

Robin has made it her duty to ensure Rebecca is protected during this incident so she will be going down to the lowers level with Kyros and Rebecca to join Bartolomeo. I am interested to learn whether Leo and Mansherry are staying with Law to reattach his arm or whether they are heading down with Robin to the lower levels. It is also possible that Robin will stay with Law until Leo and Mansherry have finished attaching and healing Law's arm and then proceed to head down to the lower levels with Leo, Mansherry, Rebecca and Kyros.

Luffy did seem slightly disadvantaged during his exchanges with Doflamingo as he was unable to really deal major damage onto Doflamingo, yet he was still able enough to defend against most of the attacks Doflamingo sent his way. Luffy is noticeably lacking in the destructive department against Doflamingo, especially with the attacks he can land onto Doflamingo. Luffy's quick attacks are able to hit Doflamingo but they are able to seriously damage him whereas Luffy's big attacks which can damage Doflamingo aren't fast enough to hit Doflamingo in the first place.

Luffy's attacks using Gear Second aren't strong enough to injure Doflamingo

Doflamingo is fast, strong, intelligent and knows exactly how to get under a person's skin. Instead of underestimating Luffy, Doflamingo acknowledges that Luffy is someone special, a man to be impressed by. Doflamingo opts to ridicule Luffy's decision to butt into the affairs of Dressrosa instead of underestimating Luffy's ability and capability. In order to mentally assault Luffy, Doflamingo brings to Luffy's attention the consequences of his decision and the potential tragic outcome it could have for Dressrosa and its citizens. Luffy was surprisingly unmoved by Doflamingo's taunts and made the decision to use Gear Fourth against Doflamingo.

The question now becomes, what is Gear Fourth? In what way can Luffy utilise his Devil Fruit (and Haki) to advance and evolve his current fighting abilities and take it beyond what he is currently capable of? How can Luffy use his Gomu Gomu no Mi to damage Doflamingo? While Luffy is fast (Gear Second), his quick attacks aren't powerful enough and while Luffy can be destructive (Gear Third), his powerful attacks aren't fast enough to hit Doflamingo. In short, Luffy needs a way to perform fast attacks that are powerful and this is where I believe Gear Fourth comes in.

Gear Fourth Theory

Very much looking forward to the next chapter and finding out what Gear Fourth will actually be. I have made an attempt to try to determine what it could be but at this point, with Gear Second and Gear Third already having surprised and impressed me, I am left wondering if Gear Fourth will do the same. Regardless of what happens, I am ready to be left in awe!

Spoiler show

As for Jinbe, what an interesting revelation taking place in this chapter's cover - Wadatsumi wants to accompany Jinbe on his journey. I wonder if this means Oda intends for the Poneglpyh, carried by Wadatsumi, to go wherever he has Jinbe traveling. If Oda does have Wadatsumi end up carrying the Poneglyph, it seems likely that Oda will have Jinbe joining the Straw Hat Pirates sooner rather than later.

*[The chapter extracts used are from the Mangastream version]

Enjoyment level: 9/10

2. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece Chapter 783 Review - Path Blocking

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    I wonder if this means Oda intends for the Poneglpyh, carried by Wadatsumi, to go wherever he has Jinbe traveling. If Oda does have Wadatsumi end up carrying the Poneglyph, it seems likely that Oda will have Jinbe joining the Straw Hat Pirates sooner rather than later.
    Captain obvious to the rescue! Because I am one of the ones who didn't realized that.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Syphin for the excellent review
    I have been thinking about why the fate of the executives is left unclear, and I think the reason might be that once DD is defeated they will save him, kinda like what happened with Moriah. As for Leo and Mancherry I really think they will stay by Law's side and fix his arm, I even think there's a panel where they nod at each other while Robin and the others are leaving. They might be onto something.
    Overall I quite enjoyed this chapter, I think this fight will be an epic one, if it's just for the fact that DD is a formidable foe. Unlike many before him he doesn't give me the impression he's underestimating Luffy, and tbh he kinda has an advantage since he was interested in Luffy since Alabasta apparently, and he had a chance to see him fight in Marineford. But still I think Gear 4 will make the difference, I think you nailed it with your analysis. Right now Luffy can manage to hit DD with his gear 2 attacks but they're not powerful enough, while the Gear 3 attacks are powerful but slow which gives plenty of time for DD to dodge the attack. So logically Gear 4 should be the solution, by giving Luffy fast and powerful attacks at the same time.
    I for once cannot wait to see what it will look like

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Actuall, I dissagree. Doflamingo is underestimating Luffy, just in a different way than past opponents. He isn't underestimating Luffy's strength so much as his potential for growth, and for throwing things into dissarray.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Turtle Ashtray's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How interesting, Robin is able to sprout her limbs without the need of an existing surface
    I would like to point out that you can see the arms sprouting inward from the ground, spreading out, then bowing in to create the net. It just looks like it comes out of nowhere, you can see the outermost corner next to her tush.

Great review!

9. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Ashtray View Post
    I would like to point out that you can see the arms sprouting inward from the ground, spreading out, then bowing in to create the net. It just looks like it comes out of nowhere, you can see the outermost corner next to her tush.

Great review!
    Makes sense - a net connected to nothing would be useless, anyway.

Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Syphin's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you are right about that, a net without any support would be pretty useless.

Anyway regarding the Donquixote Pirates, I am still wondering what happened with Buffalo. The last time we seen him, Kyros twisted his neck and threw him out the palace, but seeing as Buffalo has the Guru Guru no Mi, it is possible his neck being twisted didn't finish him.

I just find it weird that unlike the rest of the Donquixote Pirates, he didn't really get a proper battle chapter. It is possible that Oda intends to handle Buffalo in a similar way to Baby 5 i.e. not highlight him as a complete villainous character. It is also possible that Buffalo serves the Blueno role this arc - saving the Donquixote Pirates (except Doflamingo) when the arc ends.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Barrier's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you are right about that, a net without any support would be pretty useless.

Anyway regarding the Donquixote Pirates, I am still wondering what happened with Buffalo. The last time we seen him, Kyros twisted his neck and threw him out the palace, but seeing as Buffalo has the Guru Guru no Mi, it is possible his neck being twisted didn't finish him.

I just find it weird that unlike the rest of the Donquixote Pirates, he didn't really get a proper battle chapter. It is possible that Oda intends to handle Buffalo in a similar way to Baby 5 i.e. not highlight him as a complete villainous character. It is also possible that Buffalo serves the Blueno role this arc - saving the Donquixote Pirates (except Doflamingo) when the arc ends.
    I think it's because we already saw their fighting capabilities and furthermore them losing to General Franky. IIRC Oda never makes a enemy character who lost before fight again.

New Reply