Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/18/15 - 5/24/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
New Reply

Thread: One Piece chapter 786 review - Gatz

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece One Piece chapter 786 review - Gatz

One Piece chapter 786 : Gatz

The end of last chapter was anticlimactic, after all this hype DD seemingly went down after receiving the Leo Bazooka, a very strong technique. Hence many of us weren’t too happy to see DD bite the dust like that, and hoped that he would rise up again to fight Luffy. It seems that Oda thinks likewise.

Gear fourth reaches its time limit

After receiving a devastating attack, DD is apparently immobilized, everyone thinks that he’s down, including Luffy. But only one person isn’t rejoicing and that is Law, who points out that the birdcage is still up. This confirms that the birdcage will be deactivated once DD is down for good. Luffy tries to finish off Doflamingo, but it is too late.Gear 4 reaches it’s time limit, and Luffy’s body deflates.

Luffy is unsurprisingly affected by the use of Gear fourth, he is exhausted and cannot even move. Seeing this, Burgess decides to make his move….against Luffy with the intent of stealing his Gomu Gomu no mi. I’m not gonna lie I laughed a bit at this. The notion of someone wanting to have the Gomu Gomu no mi, which is easily one of the weakest DFs in its base power, is ridiculous. But on second thought it could be that Gomu Gomu is a good fit for Burgess. Both him and Luffy are close range fighters, so a DF who could grant elasticity as well as being able to not feel pain during falls etc would be interesting to have for someone like Burgess. But other than that, it could just be that it would be easier to steal the Gomu Gomu than let’s say the Ito Ito or the Ope Ope who aren’t a good fit for Burgess at all. Especially the Ope Ope which is pretty much useless for someone without medical knowedge, as pointed out by the late Corazon.

The other interesting point is that Burgess is apparently able to steal a DF, without the help of BB himself, and I think it makes sense. We’ve even seen one of DD’s henchmen talk about the reincarnation cycle of DF fruits.When a user dies, his fruit gets reincarnated in the nearest fruit of the same species (apples, pears etc). We’ve even witnessed that with the Sara Sara no mi model Axolotl, back on Punk Hazard. I don’t really think this is a common knowledge, rather only the individuals like DD who are in the devil fruit trading business, as well as BB who must have an extensive knowledge of DFs would know about it. So what was so special about BB stealing WB’s fruit in Marineford?Well I think BB used his knowledge about fruits to know what the Gura Gura looked like, and he came prepared, with a fruit of the same kind. It’s possible his Yami Yami forced the DF out of WB’s body, but as seen with Smiley the reincarnation was almost immediate. So maybe the Yami Yami’s usefuleness only comes from allowing someone to have more than one DF, by absorbing the fruit’s power, or even the fruit himself, without the need of eating it. Sadly we don’t have enough information to come to any conclusion concerning BB and his two DFs, however I do think that Burgess knows how the reincarnation of DFs works, and what he has in the bag is regular fruits that he plans to use to carry the DF powers.

DD isn't down just yet.

While Luffy’s down, DD is back , and once again he’s wearing his trademark smirk, although he doesn’t seem to be talking . He has his hand over his stomach, and from the sound effects it’s possible that he’s stitching himself up. Luffy tries to get up but fails, but that’s where Gatz the announcer from the colosseum comes to his help, while all the citizens are fleeing the scene. Gatz correctly guessed Lucy’s real identity as SH Luffy, and he asks the latter if he can take down DD in order to bring down the cage. A weakened Luffy responds that he needs 10 minutes to regenerate his haki, with him being unable to use an form of haki in this amount of time. This is what Law referred to last chapter as Luffy overusing his haki. Once his haki is regenerated, he should be able to deal one final attack that will effectively take down DD.Gatz agrees to buy Luffy time, with the help of the rest of the colosseum fighters, with half of them staying behind to slow down DD who is now heading to Luffy’s place.While he’s walking crack sounds can be heard, which could mean that DD suffers a few broken ribs, on top of the damage he received to his organs, from Law’s gamma knife. This alone makes me think that while DD is up, he’s so badly hurt that one powerful punch could take him down indeed, and his chances of survival are uncertain as well. While I’m glad he didn’t go down so easily, I think this might just be delaying the inevitable.

Burgess' target is Luffy. Sabo comes to the rescue

Gatz carries Luffy on his back as they retreat, and this is when Burgess attacks Luffy with a sword . He knows about the Gomu Gomu no mi weakness against swords but luckily he’s stopped by Sabo who gives him a good kick to the face. Once again Luffy is saved by one of his brothers.
    I liked this chapter and the fact that DD didn’t go down in such a disappointing manner. I hope he still has some fighting left in him, and perhaps he’s currently stitching himself up to diminish the damage received from the Leo Bazooka. Burgess targeting the Gomu Gomu no mi was a surprise, and looks like we’re heading to a second round of the fight between Burgess and Sabo, although I can already tell that Sabo will once again have the upper hand. Gatz’s decision makes sense, and I’m glad to see him back, I didn’t think he would play such a big role. Next chapter should show us Sabo vs Burgess, as well as DD trying to get to where Luffy is, and hopefully we could see Zoro, the samurais and Franky try to stop the birdcage.
    Based on my enjoyment I’m giving this chapter a 8 out of 10, mostly because the fight between Luffy vs DD will continue. If DD went down after Leo Bazooka it wouldn’t have been a satisfying end.And after hyping this fight so much the least Oda can do is give us a more satisfying conclusion to it.
    Credits to mangastream
    Last edited by ladylola; May 17, 2015 at 12:08 AM.

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Federicoxxx's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece chapter 786 review - Gatz

excellent r3view

i also think the same about burgess

and the df reincarnation system
    Best One Piece Line EVER

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member MOYcano 0.23's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a minor correction, LadyLola: Luffy doesn't believe that Dofla is down for good. He actually realizes and that bird cage hasn't disappears at the same time that Law.
    Please excuse my Spanglish

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOYcano 0.23 View Post
    Just a minor correction, LadyLola: Luffy doesn't believe that Dofla is down for good. He actually realizes and that bird cage hasn't disappears at the same time that Law.
    I know that. It was till Law pointed it out that Luffy realized that the birdcage was up. But again Law was the first to realize it, even Cavendish thought DD was taken care of.
    Right after the Leo Bazooka he wasn't seen rushing to DD and taking another shot, while the latter was still immobilized. It's true Luffy can't stop himself in that form, but still there was a few moments between his shot and the realization that the birdcage is still up, which shows that Luffy didn't know for sure if he succeded.
    Last edited by ladylola; May 16, 2015 at 09:09 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review. However, I would say the cracking sounds on this page http://readms.com/r/one_piece/786/2781/18 can most likely be attributed to Burgess breaking thru a wall to kill Luffy while Doflamingo is headed his way as well. I don't think it has anything to with Doflamingo's ribs or internal injuries.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASED Shinigami View Post
    Excellent review. However, I would say the cracking sounds on this page http://readms.com/r/one_piece/786/2781/18 can most likely be attributed to Burgess breaking thru a wall to kill Luffy while Doflamingo is headed his way as well. I don't think it has anything to with Doflamingo's ribs or internal injuries.
    Yep looks like it, I didn't realize it was in Gatz's panel. Makes sense it's related to what happens next to him, in other words Burgess breaking a wall.

In here sounds like "snap" and "zuzu" can be seen when DD is holding his hand over his stomach, on his injury.
    According to this, zu can be used as an sfx for drool or other liquid flowing, or it's the equivalent of siip or slurp in english (with zuzu meaning the same).
    This is in mangastream's version. Maybe the zuzu sound is due to DD's injury, with blood leaking, although in the other version (mangapanda) it's Fssh which I think is the same. So something is leaking, most likely blood, although we haven't seen a shot of it, since well he's covering it with his hand.
    And here there is also crack instead of snap

Maybe he does have broken ribs.
    Last edited by ladylola; May 17, 2015 at 12:10 AM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Barrier's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladylola View Post
    Yep looks like it, I didn't realize it was in Gatz's panel. Makes sense it's related to what happens next to him, in other words Burgess breaking a wall.

In here sounds like "snap" and "zuzu" can be seen when DD is holding his hand over his stomach, on his injury.
    According to this, zu can be used as an sfx for drool or other liquid flowing, or it's the equivalent of siip or slurp in english (with zuzu meaning the same).
    This is in mangastream's version. Maybe the zuzu sound is due to DD's injury, with blood leaking, although in the other version (mangapanda) it's Fssh which I think is the same. So something is leaking, most likely blood, although we haven't seen a shot of it, since well he's covering it with his hand.
    And here there is also crack instead of snap

Maybe he does have broken ribs.
    Good Review

Maybe DD is stretching his fingers. You know when we haven't moved our fingers for a while and then try to move there are sanpping noises. But of course DD has evolved that to the next stage hence we can hear it clearly over the noises!

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barrier View Post
    Good Review

Maybe DD is stretching his fingers. You know when we haven't moved our fingers for a while and then try to move there are sanpping noises. But of course DD has evolved that to the next stage hence we can hear it clearly over the noises!
    I don't think so, he didn't do that motion, and his hand is clearly visible. And if you look at the places the SFXs are placed it's over his stomach area, where his injury is, on both ends.
    Well I wouldn't be surprised if he received some internal damage, also notice how the area is the same as the one where he received the red hawk. Right now he's accumulating injuries. So my concern here is how impaired he is from that attack, and if he can still use the awakening.

Regarding the fight itself, while Luffy said that he can recover his haki in 10 minutes, I don't believe he'll use Gear 4 again. We don't know if in these 10 minutes he can recover completely, and Gear 4 put a lot of strain on his body, so my guess is that he will stay in Gear 2 and use one of his usual technique that involves haki, like red hawk or a red hawk gatling. Plus it might not be necessary to use Gear 4 since DD is already injured from his fight with Law and now from the Leo Bazooka. Right now it looks like both DD and Luffy are in bad shape, although it's mostly fatigue for Luffy, so maybe the fight can be more balanced now. Also my guess is that the reason DD is grinning is because as he expected Gear 4 has side effects, which might give him more confidence in taking down Luffy. I don't expect their fight to end in one chapter, and now because of Burgess' interference, we prolly won't see DD go down till the next 2 or 3 chapters. It might be stretching the fight unecessarily, but I believe that just like with Crocodile back in Alabasta, DD will put a last effort against a weakened Luffy, which depending on how you see it, can be more satisfying that him going down for good last chapter.
    Last edited by ladylola; May 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member joeyb's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Good review, I Always think it's nice to read them and see what another readers notices and how there perspective is about the chapter

What also got my attention is that DD is really keeping up is poker face and isn't out of breath.
    But latest chapter it is illustrated DD is also shakey en trembling (due to the lines drawn around the body), so he's running out of gas alright.

The only thing that makes me wonder about this is how he wil meet his defeat?
    Maybe by trying a final last ditch effort attack only to drop down halfway through and gets pounded by Luffy ?

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeyb View Post
    Good review, I Always think it's nice to read them and see what another readers notices and how there perspective is about the chapter

What also got my attention is that DD is really keeping up is poker face and isn't out of breath.
    But latest chapter it is illustrated DD is also shakey en trembling (due to the lines drawn around the body), so he's running out of gas alright.

The only thing that makes me wonder about this is how he wil meet his defeat?
    Maybe by trying a final last ditch effort attack only to drop down halfway through and gets pounded by Luffy ?
    Thanks for taking the time to read it. Right now Luffy is defensless, he doesn't have Haki to attack or to protect himself. DD expected Luffy to suffer some side effects from Gear 4, that's why he's keeping his poker face, because right now things are kinda looking good for him. He prolly doesn't know about the 10 minutes thing, but if he gets to where Luffy is before that time he has a chance to hurt Luffy considerably. It's hard to know for sure, but even if DD is injured, it doesn't mean he can't use his DF or Haki to deal damage. Maybe he will spam a few attacks at Luffy who will barely manage to evade them, until the 10 minutes are up and he can use his final move that hopefully will take down DD.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Eigengrau's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

@ladylola (and to whoever happens to have thoughts on this),

Given the somewhat surprising and random title for this chapter, do you thing the following chapter(s) will shed some light on the Gatz character?

I think the OP Wikia had him listed has a member of the Donquixote Pirates (not as an executive though), so I never thought much of it, thought he was just another character doing his dirty work. I can see him giving some sort of speech to Doflamingo, about how DD shamed the colosseum or something.

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eigengrau View Post
    @ladylola (and to whoever happens to have thoughts on this),

Given the somewhat surprising and random title for this chapter, do you thing the following chapter(s) will shed some light on the Gatz character?

I think the OP Wikia had him listed has a member of the Donquixote Pirates (not as an executive though), so I never thought much of it, thought he was just another character doing his dirty work. I can see him giving some sort of speech to Doflamingo, about how DD shamed the colosseum or something.
    I don't remember that being said about him. But given that he works at the colosseum, and even Tank worked for DD I guess we could say that.
    I don't think he will give him a speech about the colosseum specifically, more like about the current situation, and how he's toying with their lives. Gatz looks like a nice guy, he took a liking to Lucy/Luffy, he also doesn't seem "evil" compared to the rest of DD's crew, so his betrayal of some sort is not out of character, plus basically DD has now made enemies of everyone on Dressrosa. He even prolly stopped thinking about his crew altogether, that's why he's seemingly ready to have the birdcage slice everyone to pieces, or it's just that he thinks they will be glad to sacrifice their lives for his sake, which actually might be the case.
    Of all the characters to save Luffy I just didn't expect it to be Gatz that's all. I guess Oda took a liking to him.It would be nice if he could show some fighting skills, though it's pretty obvious he can't do much against DD or even Burgess, so the best he could do now is run till the 10 minutes are up.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the review, but Luffy being saved by Sabo seems, at least to me, more like an hommage to when Rayleigh came out of nowhere to rescue Zoro. The similarities are stunning, right down to the kick.

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchen View Post
    Like the review, but Luffy being saved by Sabo seems, at least to me, more like an hommage to when Rayleigh came out of nowhere to rescue Zoro. The similarities are stunning, right down to the kick.
    Or Ace when he stopped Smoker from going after Luffy back in Alabasta. There's plenty of similarities between the two arcs, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is what is truly intended, and I'm not gonna lie I'm not fond of it. After Marineford, and the sacrifice of Ace to protect his younger brother, Luffy suffered a mental breakdown. From that point he tried to grow stronger, supposedly because he wanted to protect himself and his crew. So if we follow that logic Luffy doesn't need the help of his brothers anymore. He should be able to defend himself, or at least this is what I got from all of it. If Luffy can't defend himself then he will always rely on someone else, his brother for example and we know how that ended the last time one of his brothers protected him... However it's kinda understandable, and even makes sense that Luffy would need and receive help from others. Luffy's incredible power is his ability to turn everyone into his ally, even former enemies, so to me it seems that Oda is trying to convey that, by having someone like Gatz who could be on the enemy's side help him.
    In the end it could be that Luffy will succeed not because he's the strongest at all times, but because he's able to make allies of anyone, and this could help him in realizing his dream of becoming Pirate king. Just a thought.
    Last edited by ladylola; May 19, 2015 at 09:04 PM.

New Reply