Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (2/23/15 - 3/1/15).
! Visit the new forums for Tokyo Ghoul and The Gamer!
Forum News: Vote in the final phase of the Anime Awards 2014
New Reply

Thread: Editing images for reviews...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Alterno's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Editing images for reviews...

First at all, I'm thinking it twice times before posting a review this week, first because is sad and second because I actually would like other reviewers to step up and write their own review. This because I know how discouraging could be writing a review and not getting enough reeds or feedback/comments about the review, could actually reach the point of no longer being motivated to write reviews, this drop in reads and comments is happening since the forum was moved to another position, however it seems to be improving a little since our mods are linking the review forum to spoiler and chapter discussion topics, thank you mods :P.

Honestly my review of Ch. 155 is already written since Thursday morning and is just waiting to be posted. However I'm going to wait till Monday or Tuesday before posting it, so other reviewers could share their reviews and thoughts about the chapter having the spotlight that I've enjoyed by being sometimes the only person writing review, since Benelori became a Pirate and other amazing reviewer just do it from time and time .

Before I continue I gonna have to ask our amazing forum administrator and moderators the following, please don't ban me for posting this tutorial for reviewers here. This tutorial is about image editing with Gimp, I was going to do a video but I felt ashamed of my voice :P. I felt that my accent and pronunciation wasn't good enough, and this because I rarely have the chance to speak in what should be my native language (English)

Firs thing, download Gimp from
    http://www.gimp.org/, is like best of Photoshop, but free. Install it and open it, once open the interface should look like in the picture below

Note: Cursors don't appear in screenshots on windows 7, so whenever you see a text box, means that my mouse is over that space.

Spoiler show

Step 1

First we are going to use the Path tools as seen in the picture above, we are going to use this tool to select each corner of the panel where Yahiko says: I'm gonna get stronger..., like seen in the following picture:

Spoiler show

Step 2

After clicking in two of the corners a path between the dots in each corner will be created as seen in the picture above four dots creates four lines that surround the panel we want to use for our review. Then we right click the picture go to select and choose select from path, the result should look like in the following picture:

Spoiler show

Step 3

Is this the time when we press Ctrl and x to cut the selected area and close the current windows, this will lead us back to the default windows, we click inside that windows and press control and v, at this point your picture should look like this:

Spoiler show

The gray area is the background and it represents transparency in Gimp, if you want to use a background you can actually use the bucket tool and fill the transparent area, in this kind of picture I generally use transparency, so if you want to use the transparency save the file as "name.png", the format png allows transparency to work, if you choose jpg, the background will appear as white. this is how it looks in my reviews:

Other

In pictures without diagonals like in the picture above is much easier, all you have to do is choose the "rectangle select tool" and choose the picture you want to use for your review:

Spoiler show

At this point you repeat exactly the same process explained in
    step 3, your picture will look like this:

Spoiler show

As you can see I've selected the magic wand (fuzzy tool), to select the white area between the borders of the three panels in order to delete it and get transparency, the result as filename
    .png, will look like this in the web review/forum:

Tips
    1. If you want to use transparency in your pictures don forget to save the files in .PNG format, if you save it as .JPG the area you deleted will appear with a white background.
    2. If you want to reduce the size of your picture, just go to the "top" menu "Image" and select Scale image, the rest is pretty easy that I wont even bother to explain. (Evil laughs)
    3. I generally save flashbacks without transparencies, because it could confuse the reader, so I pretty much save flashbacks with their own black background.

Dear mod/admin, please don't ban me, I just couldn't find another place where to post this.
    Last edited by Alterno; September 26, 2010 at 01:06 PM.

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Editing images for reviews...

Thanks Alterno very much , that was really helpful (it seems now that i have no excuse for not adding pictures to my review ), it seems no one would give the lazy boy a chance these days
    really it is very thoughtful of you to not post your review to give space to new reviewers but don't do it again, I have been waiting for your review since the chapter came out.
    really thanks again and i think this topic is very helpful for the new reviewers who are too lazy to add some pictures to their reviews (like some one i know, really those lazy people should just shoot themselves in the head) i really hope the moderators will keep it or at least transfer it to a more suitable forum if they see a need for that.
    wish you the best of luck.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member $nipe's Avatar
    Country
    El Salvador
    Post Thanks / Like

Great tutorial, thank you. However, you should take into consideration whether the site is set up for all types of browsers to display transparencies. Also, some png filesare way too sizey: over 100 KB for a couple of images might be hard to load for some people who have a slow internet connection.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I use simple stuff man...
    Irfanview, and when I'm not at my PC even Paint...I save the page, cut out the panel I want, resize it and it's done...then use imageshack to upload my pics.
    If you do it with Irfanview, or with any other specialized program, then the quality won't decrease very much and saving the files as png also helps...my pics are smaller:450*<insert nr from 290 360/370>, so I get a pretty good load time as well...
    Irfanview is not difficult to handle...U just drag the cursor, then crop it...then resize and save...piece of cake...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Alterno's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

@ $nipe

IE9, IE8, Firefox, Chrome and Opera support transparencies, and they are the mainstream browsers. As for the size of the pictures, I have my doubts about using .png files due that, but with internet speed growing everywhere that should not be a problem these days, I'm one of those who believe that PNG will become the new JPG in the near future, due the superior quality, but of course for that to happen first most of the world or at least the rest of the Americas should have a 5mbps downstream as base speed

@Benelori
    The good thing about Gimp over infraview is the control that you have over the picture, eve when you scale down the picture you get not quality loss, especially if you save it in PNG. Nevertheless those tips about editing the images with infraview are really useful and maybe even faster. :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Saifi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

u know there's a reason editing images is called "photoshopping".

also unless u need diagonals, which take up just as much space as rectangles anyway , the best way to take pics from manga would still be paint , its easy , simple and straightforward, doesn't need a tutorial and probably has been on every windows , since time began. but if i ever need to use gimp (for some reason) ill look up your tutorial

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

there's no such thing as no qualiy loss not even with photoshop but with paint the loss is catastrphic

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nasuke's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The time you put into this tutorial is very much appreciated Alterno.

Although I agree with Saifi, Paint is by far the easiest way to cut out pictures, crop, resize, and save. The photo editing does not need to be marvelous for the review to look good as long as you provide elements that support the topic of the review.

On a side note, I will have free time next week so I will be starting my reviews again . Reading your reviews Alterno really makes me miss reviewing so I have decided to begin again after the hiatus.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Nasuke; September 30, 2010 at 09:20 AM.

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply