Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/25/15 - 5/31/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
So, I know that the release type for omake are 'specials,' and the add release page says that we are required to input an integer for the chapter number of the omake and we can't input 0 (although 0 is an integer), but what number are we supposed to input for the omake if we don't know how many omake there have been prior to it? We also can't input the title since that isn't a number. We also can't input in rational numbers so I can't put something like 73.5 to show that the omake comes after chapter 73. What do I do?
*Raises her hand as well*
There are a few other issues regarding this on top of the Special Chapters.
1. Some series do not follow particular numbering for their chapters. (Bastard, Kochi Kame, Ubel Blatt)
2. Some series have released Tank Vol. 00 or Special. (Again, Ubel Blatt)
3. Some series have wierd chapter numbering system (Moonlight Act, which has a sub-chapter number assigned when it's the same story arc).
4. Special chapters are not usually numbered (Bamboo Blade, which has tons of special promotion chapters in Shonen GanGan, doesn't have numbers to go with it).
Is it possible for the upload pages to enable non-interger for some instances? Or allow the input of magazine issue number in place of chapter number when it is neccessary?
Last edited by Finestela; November 29, 2008 at 06:07 PM.
Having examples like that is really useful for us to fix the problem. Thanks, Finestela! We'd also like to appeal to anyone else to give their feedback regarding this.
Definitely need real numbers for tankoubon volumes. (e.g. Prince of Tennis has 10.5, 20.5, etc.)Quote:
So true. Another example is Shiki, which has sub-chapter numbers for different story arcs all happening at the same time. There's almost no way to number the chapters sequentially except by arbitrary assignment (which is what SC is doing). So, having the magazine year/issue number would be a great help. (e.g. JSQ 2008 #12).Quote:
Yup, Specials are not numbered, but sometimes, it helps continuity to know when they were published, or between which chapters of manga, as c_k mentioned in the first post. (E.g. Vampire Knight). Especially when newer characters appear in the special. Sometimes, special chapters are only published in tankoubon too.Quote:
Basically, special chapters need a text field as the chapter #.
Continuing from Finestela's list~
5. Negative numbered chapters (e.g. Bleach). While the past story arc (-108 to -97) needs to be kept in the continuity of the other chapters, there were a few other special chapters that were negative.
6. One-shots shouldn't be labelled as chapter 1. They should have the magazine and year/issue number it's published in. Sometimes, the magazine doesn't have an issue number (e.g. Akamaru Jump 2007 Winter) so it can't be a numerical field. Though sometimes, the user may not know where it was published. ^^; So, one-shot can be another type of release (apart from chapter/volume/etc.)
2. Sure I can add handling for dots.
3. Magazines don't get assigned to releases but to chapters. Subchapters usually means 10.2 which would be the same as #2. What's an example of sub-chapter ?
4. If you want to mark the chronology you should use a number. Should I assume you mean we don't care about the chronology so just put the title of the Special. What if it doesn't have one ?
5. If you put negative chapter you screw the ordering when you sort by chapter. Since you want to keep the continuity mm I don't have a solution
Edit: #2 is now handled and you can also have negative numbers but they will screw up ordering.
I am starting to think that setting the magazine per release is not a bad idea...
You can have chapter titles like 2008-78.
and there's an ordering field to be able to sort releases in the right order.
I think most of it is covered.
Let me know if there's more special cases to take care of
Last edited by Osso; December 06, 2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost