Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (6/29/15 - 7/5/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
New Reply

Thread: Heroes of the Storm

Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Heroes of the Storm

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
    Platforms: Microsoft Windows, OS X
    Release dates: May 19, 2015 (Open Beta) June 2, 2015 (Full Version)
    Genre: Multiplayer online battle arena

Download Clients

キャセロールの神 最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heroes of the Storm

I don't know about this game. Maybe I'm too used to other MOBAs, but this one feels a lot more dumbed-down than the others. There's a lot less tied to individual performance dictating results with all team members earning global experience and there being no in-game currency to spend on scaling up your character.

Instead of this we get the Talent system that seems to be trying to replace other games' Items and Mastery/Runes systems. But I don't know, it isn't really tied to how well you do on your own since experience is global. I may just be too used to Items, but I find that more interesting and flexible in practice compared to choosing between a set amount of the same Talents every time you get to the level threshold to choose them. I guess it sort of makes things less predictable for your opponent, but it just doesn't seem as compelling to me from a gameplay perspective.

I guess I can see how it's fun to play casually, but it seems a lot less "hardcore" than other games. And I sort of cringe at me pointing this out myself, as I find this kind of elitism annoying, but I guess not being new to the genre has me set in my ways. I'm too used to the ways in which you are rewarded (and punished) for your performance in these types of games.
    Last edited by xi0; June 07, 2015 at 01:12 AM.

Repenting Smut Peddler MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I honestly don't think this would take over LoL or Dota 2 as popular MOBAs.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I also sort of wonder about the meta. They don't even have 40 heroes yet, while LoL and Dota2 had at least that. There's also the thing that Heroes don't need to be balanced around items since they don't exist, which should simplify the job somewhat...but Blizzard is notoriously bad at game balance, especially pvp game balance.

Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing, the targeting seems incredibly buggy as well. I also wish it had an option to still see target indicators when smartcasting, like LoL.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Luxembourg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Voyboy has been playing HotS recently, but didn't check his stream frequently enough to see him play it myself. I wonder if the game is even worth the time to pick up and check at this point.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    I think Voyboy has been playing HotS recently, but didn't check his stream frequently enough to see him play it myself. I wonder if the game is even worth the time to pick up and check at this point.
    I mean, people clearly enjoy it. It's a bit of a mindless alternative to LoL. Not saying it isn't fun, but when I'm comparing a lot of the things 1 to 1, it's a pretty inferior game in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

I suppose the main plus to the game is that it has different maps, and therefore there are multiple ways to play the core game...but that's the only thing it has over other MOBAs IMO.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Meh I take it back. The maps are "different", but recruiting mercenaries and objectives in the map are pretty much the same. You collect some form of currency and turn it in for a boost. The boost can be controlling a giant mob to help you push, having a giant mob help you push on it's own, having airstrikes on your enemy's base, etc. It's still roughly the same, so the gameplay isn't that different in all honesty. It's all centered around pushing and skirmishing, without much else.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

So the only "unique" thing to me is the talent system, which is sort of like an amalgamation of masteries/runes/items that you choose in-game as you level up. You also have a choice between two different "heroic skills" (ultimates). Idk, it's somewhat interesting, but it seems like this was added in to offer a bit of complexity since all of it is removed without masteries/runes/items.

New Reply