Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (8/10/15 - 8/23/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 639 by cnet128 , Gintama 555 (2) , One Piece 796 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Webtoon] Soul Cartel by Kim Eun Hyo & Kim Yeong Ji

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

[Webtoon] Soul Cartel by Kim Eun Hyo & Kim Yeong Ji

Author: KIM Eun-Hyo
    Artist: KIM Yeong-Ji
    Category: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Supernatural

Synopsis: An action packed fantasy adventure of a boy who gets into a contract with the devil Mephistopheles to be the referee in the historic rematch against Faust. The battle will be in the Underworld which is filled with Angels and Devils and countless demons who are all hunting for his priceless young human body.

Take:
    It seems a tad odd that it doesn't have a thread considering its popularity and its rather extensive run. A manhwa that's definitely worth the effort. A lot of action, a bit of a humour, with some pretty engaging plot.
    Last edited by Impossibility; February 17, 2015 at 04:53 PM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Webtoon] Soul Cartel by Kim Eun Hyo & Kim Yeong Ji

The reason why i didnt start is was because of the synopsi(actually the synopsis in most manga sites are even more limited its like a guy who had a contract with the demon or sth). It seemed rather plain and weird and nothing to do with the MC. Could you give a bit more extensive take on the webtoon ? Because your take says lots of actions while the synopsis says referee for some one elses match(ergo my saying nothing to do with MC.
    Last edited by shaheer; February 18, 2015 at 07:35 AM.

Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaheer View Post
    The reason why i didnt start is was because of the synopsis. It seemed rather plain and weird and nothing to do with the MC. Could you give a bit more extensive take on the webtoon ? Because your take says lots of actions while the synopsis says referee for some one elses match.
    The match, although effectively setting the characters on the path to the Underworld, is something that serves as a backdrop; it's significance is mainly in the context of the formation of the group. The plot actually is more directly related to their travels in the Underworld and their pursuit of information on the main character's parents, who disappeared in the Underworld years prior. The match itself is more psychological, Mephisto wishes to corrupt one of the main character's companions, something he failed to do centuries ago.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Could have sworn we already had a thread for this series, but I looked and we do not. So good catch Impossibility.

I followed it for a while but dropped it for some reason I can't even remember. It's one of those stories like DICE I've been meaning to catch back up on. If memory serves it's a good action series with a pretty strong vein of humor early on and was turning more dramatic when I stopped reading, for whatever reason.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, it seems as though I chose a pretty good time to start this thread. There's a whole lot going on. Things have escalated significantly.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I started off the series. Off the bat i hate the sister with a full Stop. Tsundere geeks with a top of the line ego and brother/darling/friend you are an idiot cuz i am gifted, kind of attitude is so prevalent in the mangas in so many different shapes that i got bored few yrs ago and now it seriously ticks me off.(because ultimately the guy is shown to be great and all that and this attitude doesnt make much sense then because at that time the guy doesnt tread her like a trash as a payback)
    I like the guys character(good humor and all that) but i am on chapter 15 and yet he has shown any thing which i want from an action manga hero not even any potential(probably that has something to do with talisment tho).
    Since I have seen you(impossiblity) in most of the manhwa thread i go so i kind a have some trust in your recommendation and i am pretty free now i ll prolly give 15 more chaps a read and hope things go well for me to get hooked.
    Hope it will be a good read in the upcoming chaps.
    Last edited by shaheer; February 25, 2015 at 06:42 PM.

Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

I started off the series. Off the bat i hate the sister with a full Stop. Tsundere geeks with a top of the line ego and brother/darling/friend you are an idiot cuz i am gifted, kind of attitude is so prevalent in the mangas in so many different shapes that i got bored few yrs ago and now it seriously ticks me off.(because ultimately the guy is shown to be great and all that and this attitude doesnt make much sense then because at that time the guy doesnt tread her like a trash as a payback)
    I like the guys character(good humor and all that) but i am on chapter 15 and yet he has shown any thing which i want from an action manga hero not even any potential(probably that has something to do with talisment tho).
    Since I have seen you(impossiblity) in most of the manhwa thread i go so i kind a have some trust in your recommendation and i am pretty free now i ll prolly give 15 more chaps a read and hope things go well for me to get hooked.
    Hope it will be a good read in the upcoming chaps.
    To be fair, I had the same initial impression. I seriously wondered how our protagonist was going to be even remotely useful...he gets there. And the sister grows on you.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

DUDE you werent kidding about the action. At first I was disappointed because the guy had only the 3 rd arm technique but wow in the tournament he is rocking (i m in 158 ). My only critique is since Faust is really sharp he should have idk had like 3 months of lead training time before they sent the invitation for a tournament after 6 month. The MC s training is not finished yet. By then(3 mnts or more lead time) he prolly would have finished his training.
    BTW: the friend of his sister died right? i mean ya ok they are feeling bad but i doubt any reader will because i mean seriously we just got to know her before the match started only and that too not much didnt get attached that much.
    Last edited by shaheer; February 26, 2015 at 03:42 PM.

Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't expect Soo-In to be back in action so quickly. And definitely not up against a Pluto. I guess Cynthia's sacrifice pushed her forward. Although, even if she's made a contract with Michael, and is able to wield Holy Powers....does she actually stand a chance?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Impossibility View Post
    I didn't expect Soo-In to be back in action so quickly. And definitely not up against a Pluto. I guess Cynthia's sacrifice pushed her forward. Although, even if she's made a contract with Michael, and is able to wield Holy Powers....does she actually stand a chance?
    I think this is how the fights will go. She will be defeated by the second Pluto but he will be affected badly in the fight, Faust will defeat him and will prolly draw with the second guy like u know knock each other out. In that way it will be a 1 on 1 with MC and the main bad guy in this arc.
    Also I want to see more of arch angels.. we already saw 3 arch devils I want to see Gabriel (and his power) i believe he will be one of the 3

---------- Post added March 15, 2015 at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was March 07, 2015 at 03:35 PM ----------

What i dont get is the demons and devils are so damn strong and all you have is Michael we have not been given any of the other arch angel and nor is there a pluto kind of existance for the 'good' side. So whats the big deal with having a good side if they are so weak? Just ally with devils have the plutos and the arch devils and ram the heaven or whatever surely 3 arch angels cant be that powerful to deal with both the pluto and the 3 arch devils... Michael barely kept up with Beelzebub and now Memfisto is stronger than what he was ergo stronger than the angels...
    What is the big deal with having angels policing ? just kick them out and take over heaven i mean the azrael are the weakest fodders and remind me of the grunts in Halo so they are basically useless only 3 arch angels to watch for and you ahve 3 arch devils and few Pluto, I dont see why have a functional good side when evil side is so powerful.
    Last edited by shaheer; March 07, 2015 at 08:45 AM.

Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

I rather enjoyed the manner in which the battle was handled. The protagonist pretty much cheated to survive.

What i dont get is the demons and devils are so damn strong and all you have is Michael we have not been given any of the other arch angel and nor is there a pluto kind of existance for the 'good' side. So whats the big deal with having a good side if they are so weak? Just ally with devils have the plutos and the arch devils and ram the heaven or whatever surely 3 arch angels cant be that powerful to deal with both the pluto and the 3 arch devils... Michael barely kept up with Beelzebub and now Memfisto is stronger than what he was ergo stronger than the angels...
    What is the big deal with having angels policing ? just kick them out and take over heaven i mean the azrael are the weakest fodders and remind me of the grunts in Halo so they are basically useless only 3 arch angels to watch for and you ahve 3 arch devils and few Pluto, I dont see why have a functional good side when evil side is so powerful.
    I think you're aligning the Demons and the Devils as allies, when that relationship doesn't really exist. The demons are like the witches or the centaurs, just another race. They've simply gained quite a bit of power. One mustn't forget that the challenge to become a Pluto includes facing both the Archangels and Archdevils. Beel and Mastema's cooperation with them was only a means to an end, they were simply interested in facing Mephisto and Faust respectively. As it stands, the underworld is effectively ruled by the Angels and the Devils, with God and the Master respectively. Neither side has a vested interest in the success of the Demons, in fact, it's likely to be to their detriment. And beneath these two groups are quite a few races. And who knows where they stand respectively. Also, there are four Archdevils and four Archangels, we've simply only seen three of the Archdevils so far. Another point to be made is that we haven't actually seen that many Plutos. And it's important not to overestimate the Plutos. The standard of a Pluto isn't to be equal to an Archdevil or Archangel, it's simply to have survived them. Deuros makes it clear that his battle against Michael for his pilgrimage was a disgrace, yet it was enough to count. The underworld isn't divided into the simple dichotomy of good and evil, it's a bit more complicated than that. And that's why the Angels are doing quite fine.

---------- Post added March 26, 2015 at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was March 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM ----------

I guess it helps a lot when God's a fan. So Faust is now a swordsman.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Soul Cartel, Faust for one of the best characters in webtoons.

SoTaku is Love | Todoroki x Kaminari | Team Haikyuu!! | Team BLack Clover | Team Food Wars!

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Arent the fights a bit TOO disproportionate? I mean this is the first pluto now he has the bone of beelzebub not to mention the mark of Memph. Its like watching a fight between goku and batman. Batman always win by any comic logic(Cuz he is Batman) but the fight is heavily disproportionate.

Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

I did wonder how he was supposed to stand a chance. I'm still wondering. Gairon is the first. He was obviously in an entirely different league. Even with his preparation, I can't see him clenching victory. Of course, they've left the opening with him not using his full strength. Obviously, that's going to factor in. But...still. At least we're getting some of Gairon's history. It isn't actually that surprising that Mephisto's actions were responsible for the entire existence of the Plutos.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

New chap is out!~ W00t

Spoiler show
    E K U S U..... C A R R I B A

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast