Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (2/23/15 - 3/1/15).
! Visit the new forums for Tokyo Ghoul and The Gamer!
Forum News: Vote in the final phase of the Anime Awards 2014
Oricon Manga Rankings 12/21 - 12/27
1. Fullmetal Alchemist volume 24 (886,135) (Shonen Gangan)
2. Hunter X Hunter volume 27 (488,446) (Weekly Shonen Jump)
3. Big Windup! volume 13 (301,130) (Afternoon)
4. xxxHOLiC volume 16 (281,589) (Young Magazine)
5. Kekkaishi volume 27 (98,347/211,108) (Shonen Sunday)
6. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - Minagoroshihen volume 4 (87,398) (GFantasy)
7. Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1: Legend of the golden witch volume 4 (85,847) (GanGan Online)
8. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - Minagoroshihen volume 3 (85,259) (GFantasy)
9. K-ON! volume 3 (81,252/202,559) (Manga Time Kirara Carat)
10. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi chan volume 4 (79,549) (Shonen Ace)
11. Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Raising Project volume 9 (77,615/81,915) (Shonen Ace)
12. Major volume 74 (76,978/158,757) (Shonen Sunday)
13. Mei-chan no Shitsuji volume 11 (76,019) (Margaret)
14. Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 2: Legend of the golden witch volume 2 (69,650) (GanGan Online)
15. Zipang volume 43 (67,060) (Morning)
16. Initial D volume 40 (66,168) (Young Magazine)
17. Sekirei volume 9 (65,732) (Young Gangan)
18. Bokutachi wa Shitteshimatta volume 8 (64,597) (Cheese!)
19. Hajime no Ippo volume 90 (61,151/193,744) (Weekly Shonen Magazine)
20. Air Gear volume 27 (60,554/188,611) (Weekly Shonen Magazine)
21. Nagasarete Airantou volume 16 (59,535) (Shonen Gangan)
22. One Piece volume 56 (59,339/1,924,398) (Weekly Shonen Jump)
23. Suki Desu Suzuki-kun!! volume 6 (58,972) (Sho-comi)
24. Nodame Cantabile volume 23 (58,155/1,042,231) (KISS)
25. The Enchained Spiritual Beast Ga-Rei volume 11 (56,504/59,116)
26. HSD Kenichi volume 36 (54,811/130,749) (Shonen Sunday)
27. Fate/stay night volume 11 (53,651) (Shonen Ace)
28. Uchuu Kyoudai volume 8 (53,291) (Morning)
29. GTO: Shonan 14 Days volume 2 (50,862/145,544) (Shonen Magazine)
30. Higurashi no Naku Koroni Hirukowashi-hen (47,738)
I know that the top 5 series at the moment are One Piece, Naruto, FMA, Nodame Cantabile and Nana (not sure about the order), but which series belong in the top 10 in terms of sales?
And which are the stronger newcomer series (the newer series basically)?
2009 Japanese Comic Ranking, the next five are Naruto, Bleach, St.Yong-man, Kimi ni Todoke, and Kuroshitsuji. (Hunter x Hunter probably lies somewhere here, but its so irregular)
Nodame's gone, and FMA will probably end sometime in 2010, so I guess Naruto will move its way up to top 5 (since it seems to be the only series other than the current top 5 that can reach 1M) :P
don't know much about newer series, but I'm sure Toriko and Bakuman will get bigger with an anime.
Never read St.Youngman, and I'm not too familiar with it, but seems like this series has potential for getting much bigger.
Last edited by ruggia; January 02, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
I expect Kimi ni Todoke to become a million seller soon, assuming the anime gives it the proper boost. HxH and Bleach have almost identical volume sales.
St. Youngmen is an amazing series, very, very funny. Who knows how big it can get. There have only been 3 or 4 volumes so far.
the recent volume/chapters of Kimi ni Todoke seems like it could end pretty soon so I wasn't too sure. (of course, it could always drag on....not too familiar with how shoujo does with popular manga)
If an anime does not boost sales of the manga it is a failure in the eyes of the publisher. Late night anime are still popular, maybe more popular: Nana, Nodame Cantabile (anime), Haruhi Suzumiya, Bakemonogatari, Clannad, Air, Kanon were all late night anime. The only anime that are aired during the day are kids stuff and shonen action anyway.
What about prime time anime?
I did wonder why didn't they do a dorama series instead, could have been cheaper and gathered a larger fanbase. Just wait for a few months, I'm sure a Taiwan live action series would show up soon enough.
No anime would go for prime time, other then anime that could have a wide fanbase (such as shounen or family comedy). Because the animation studio/sponsers pays for a time slot, late night time slot is the cheapest slot they can get (anime pretty airs on TV like an extra long advert). Also, prime time is usually variety shows or dorama.Quote:
But yes, a prime time anime would be able to gather a fairly large fanbase. But that usually shows up with manga sales and TV ratings, the DVD sales of mainstream is usually quite 'meh'. Otaku niche stuff would always sells better.
Last edited by LilaChan; January 04, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
Ratings don't matter for late night anime. KimiTodo's impact will be on DVD.
But when was FMA aired? Was it prime time?, cause I know FMA got a huge boost from it's anime.
FMA:B has Code Geass R2's time slot right? I heard the ratings were only going downhill with FMA:B, but it's the most recorded anime series (or so I heard). I don't know about the first series, it could be at the same time slot...Originally Posted by ruggia
That rating is for the first series. Sounds like decent rating for me (when prime time dorama usually gets about 9-12%). How much boost boost it gave to the manga sales I have no idea, I barely knew what anime was when the first series was airing .Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Anime usually can push a manga into mega-seller territory. Two prime example FMA and Kuroshitsuji. FMA was only selling around 100k during it's early run, but the anime push into 1 million per volume. Kuroshitsuji was only selling around 100k and now sold 600k because of the anime. FMA was aired on prime time while Kuroshitsuji was late night. Sometimes it doesn't really matter what times it aired, both late night or prime time can push the sales of manga
Actually even a webanime could boost the sales. Before anime, Hetalia (printed edition) sold about 50k in the first week. Now it sold 450k, on par with mainstream manga (despite most of it can be read online since it's a webcomic). I'm looking forward to the 3rd volume to see how well it would sell.