Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (2/16/15 - 2/22/15).
! Visit the new forums for Tokyo Ghoul and The Gamer!
Forum News: Vote in the final phase of the Anime Awards 2014
Translations: Gintama 531 (2) , One Piece 776 by cnet128 , Bleach 615 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo

Cross Ange: Tenshi no Ryuu no Rondo
    Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Mecha
    Production: Sunrise

Due to humanity obtaining the data technology that has evolved to a great amount—called "Mana"—the human race is able to subjugate all wars, starvation, pollution, and other problems on Earth by using its power, which is similar to magic. Earth has obtained the utopia of complete peace and no wants.

First princess of the Misurugi Empire, Angelize. As with everyone else, she also had no wants or worries. She was celebrated by the people of the empire, and was supposed to wear the crown. However, she realizes the shocking truth that she is a Norma. "Norma": An irregular existence that cannot use Mana, and are treated as heretics and as "things" rather than people. Having everything stolen from her, she isolates herself on a remote island.

What was waiting for her there was a fateful meeting with a group of Norma girls who know nothing but battle. The girls spend their days riding humanoid robot weapons called "Paramails" hunting giant dragons that have come from another dimension to invade. Having her name taken from her, what will soldier Ange see at the end of the fight? What can she believe in? What will she obtain? The story of a single girl's fortitude starts now.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo

Watched the episode. I read MAL and comments about it before going into it, so I heard there was some pretty gruesome stuff going on. I personally didn't think it was completely necessary, and torture kind of icks me out--I knew this episode was going to cause a controversial shitstorm. Having watched series and movies showing rape and torture, I wasn't shocked at what I saw here, really.

Did I enjoy the episode? Not completely, but you can't deny that there is a plot and that the animation quality was pretty nice. Nana Mizuki is a good VA and I like her, and I like Ange so far. I will probably garner a lot of flak from others for saying this, but I did enjoy the first episode. I also went into this with low expectations considering Sunrise original mecha haven't been doing well the past few years. I'll give this a few more episodes, but if this series starts going off the deep end, I may drop it.
    Last edited by kindredxiuxiu; October 05, 2014 at 12:07 PM.

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Good for Nothing 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    Watched the episode. I read MAL and comments about it before going into it, so I heard there was some pretty gruesome stuff going on. I personally didn't think it was completely necessary, and torture kind of icks me out--I knew this episode was going to cause a controversial shitstorm. Having watched series and movies showing rape and torture, I wasn't shocked at what I saw here, really.

Did I enjoy the episode? Not completely, but you can't deny that there is a plot and that the animation quality was pretty nice. Nana Mizuki is a good VA and I like her, and I like Ange so far. I will probably garner a lot of flak from others for saying this, but I did enjoy the first episode. I also went into this with low expectations considering Sunrise original mecha haven't been doing well the past few years. I'll give this a few more episodes, but if this series starts going off the deep end, I may drop it.
    I'm with you on pretty much everything kinny. I can understand the hate from some people regarding the forced "rape" or what you want to call it, but at least it's somewhat daring and special. The backstory wasn't bad at all. Not great either but I found myself feeling with Angelise, so I'm kind of curious where they will take it from there. Still a possible drop candidate, but will stick with it for now. I mean Valvrave had it's own "special charm" too....

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

At least they had balls to show that stuff. Usually wen someone gets such a treatment in this kind of world, they would simply skip it. Very well done.

The fight against the dragons looked rather cool too though i wonder why they have to wear such revealing outfits. Less fanservice wouldn't hurt in some cases. Makes the torture and other stuff less believable.

Anyway I will continue to watch this for now.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, it was okay, not great, but okay. I'll give it another episode or two, especially as the first episode's merely used to set up the story. Anyway, fighting dragons alone isn't enough for me. I need to see mech vs mech fights...

I wasn't shocked or anything by the scenes at the end, perhaps I've been inured/desensitized a little bit to some of this because we've all seen it before in anime, but it was certainly unexpected.

Anyway, it was okay, not great, but okay. I'll give it another episode or two, especially as the first episode's merely used to set up the story. Anyway, fighting dragons alone isn't enough for me. I need to see mech vs mech fights...

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 2:

Yeah that had to happen. Coco had a death flag the moment she talked to Ange. At least this show is not wasting time. Loos like that is already enough to change her mind though. Not that i can't understand that she wants to go home... But oh well.
    That raping scene. Discrimination turns you into a lesbian offender huh? Kinda disturbing that nobody seems to care.

---------- Post added October 19, 2014 at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was October 12, 2014 at 03:00 PM ----------

Episode 3:

And the body count goes up again. They sure don't waste time here. Pretty sure they only didn't kill Ange because they need everyone after all.
    Her "princess" attitude is rather annoying to be honest. Maybe she'll finally accept reality this time.

Okay the ring made that piece of garbage transform after she wet herself huh. Neat asspull.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugggggggh. So after 3 episodes I was hoping I would hate this because I'm watching so much already, but I see this having... potential. It's pulling some of the same shock factor shit Valvrave did, but so far it's better written.

Sure, Ange is being a whiny, spoiled brat, but attitudes like that don't change overnight, and they shouldn't. She was brainwashed from birth to believe that people who can use mana are better than the norma, and that she is someone who could use it. Although she acted really stupid during the fights, I can't say her actions are completely preposterous considering the environment she grew up in. The only thing that really bothers me about the series is the unnecessary fanservice, but it's not a large enough factor to cause me to drop it.

I think things can get pretty interesting here if they continue writing episodes like this.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I kept watching this series, and it seems to have kept up the quality. It isn't in the same league as Fate, or even quite as good as Shingeki no Bahamut. It is good though!

Just finished watching episode 12, and there is a big twisty episode if you ever saw one. This is a 25 episode series and I'm looking forward to however it goes from here.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Been watching this since it aired.It certainly is one of those Series which cannot be defined by usual standards.I mean, it's freaking Fukuda.
    SEED and Code Geass.If anything his series aren't known for being Top Quality, but still being great cause they are entertaining.

I for one love this, and Chris better not die.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I ended up dropping this after the island episode with what's-his-face. I may have to pick it up again based on everyone's thoughts. It got to the point where it became a little too over the top and ridiculous for me. Is it settling down a little bit, or did this just keep escalating? If it settled down a little bit, I think I might be able to go back to it.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't really say if you will find it ridiculous or not, but it tends to get more serious after the island episode. There is still frivolous moments occasionally, like a festival they have on the beach at the base... but it leads to important plot progression, so I was happy with it.

New Reply