Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/18/15 - 5/24/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
New Reply

Thread: Non-Fremium apps?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-Fremium apps?

As we all know, and are probably annoyed with, the rage with apps for mobile devices are usually "freemium", as in you get them for free "free" but you have to pay to actually enjoy the game. Anyone has any recommendations of more traditional games where you don't pay for specific content and without waiting times to continue playing after you run out of whatever variation of lives or currency the game has? It feels like every "cool" game that comes out for mobile devices is a variation of candy crush (which is addictive and in reality not even fun, it just manages to pretend and convince us it is). Any thoughts?

MH Senpai 神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-Fremium apps?

I'm enjoying WWE Supercard right now. In a way.

Same

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-Fremium apps?

Flappy Bird.

---------- Post added April 07, 2015 at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was April 01, 2015 at 09:18 PM ----------

On a more serious note...

Quote Quote:
    more traditional games where you don't pay for specific content and without waiting times to continue playing after you run out of whatever variation of lives or currency the game has
    Define "traditional games" though. The freemium model isn't going anywhere anytime, since it's how developers make money. More so for people who just started and/or don't have any reputation at all. It's like food samples.

But free games do exist. I joked about it, but Flappy Bird is the perfect example. There's no unlocking of anything to enjoy the entire thing. Save for an ad. But I find this "model", for lack of a better term, only applies to arcade-style games. Five minute time wasters. The ones that don't exactly have an "ending". Microtrip, Gameloft's Ninja UP, those Stick Man games and similar from Noodlecake Studios. Essentially games that are simple to hack together compared to titles like Monument Valley or the numerous Square-Enix ports.

On the other side of the coin, I think it's entirely possible to enjoy freemium games as they are too. Sure, maybe frustrating at times but they are perfectly playable. I've had no trouble unlocking all the "levels" of Asphalt 8. Took a hell of a long time, but never had to invest any money. It's akin to people who, with a bit of effort, can have an entire dinner meal out of Costco's food samples.
    Last edited by Knifeshade; April 06, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
    -
    "In Nisekoi, there is no ship; just a submarine that goes up and down."

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply