Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/25/15 - 5/31/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
Last edited by Kaiten; April 18, 2010 at 01:37 AM.
I only watched it for Mizuki Nana anyway, CHURU CHURU PAYAPA ~ Disco lady ~ Disco Lazy ~
Exactly. I remember a while ago, when Nabari no Ou anime was announced. Everyone who disliked BL ran away from it.Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama
GFantasy is just a magazine who isn't afraid to panda to fangirls. And it works, look at how sucessful Kuroshitsuji is (commercially). It also hires more female mangakas then your usual shounen magazine too (I think...). But has GFantasy turned away male fans? I know alot of male fans would dislike a series with any noticable BL understones. I don't care about yuri undertones in mahou shoujos...points at sig
I don't know about Japan but there are plenty of male Kuroshitsuji and Nabari no Ou fans online. I even know some guys who like Zero-Sum comics. Not everyone notices and a good story trumps all, I guess.
I just found an article of an interview with the producer of Square Enix.I love how the producer actually admits a 'shounen' anime is a 'fujoshi' genre. He is made of win. Sqaure Enix has no shame in milking fujoshis...Originally Posted by ANN
This part of the interview is relevant to this thread.Not surprised at all. Even Twilight Graphic Novel only sold 55k (correct me if I'm wrong), and it's pretty darn big in America (or so I heard)Originally Posted by ANN
I don't think 55k is that bad (and remember, that was only the first week sales). In 2009, Yen Press sold a grand total of 330,962 graphic novels, so they are definitely on track to beat their entire 2009 revenue with the first volume of the Twilight Graphic Novel alone.
You also have to consider the Eclipse movie coming up, and the hype machine that will accompany it. There's also the second Graphic Novel that should be out by the end of the year.
I'd say that Yen Press is in good shape right about now.
The graphic novel market is still small. Watch: over the next couple of years more and more money will go into promotion. The teen/young adult market is huge, quite a lot of manga is targeted to that age group. If VIZ has it's way seinen will cut into the American graphic novel market, which is predominantly older readers. Sink some actual money into promotion, partner with a book store and it could happen. As for the recent article about manga sales going down the last two years: all of retail slumped. Worst economic down turn since the depression will do that. Sales will rebound as retail rebounds.
Well since it hasn't been posted here yet and I actually noticed it:
1. Rosario + Vampire Season II vol.1 1 Week
2. Naruto vol.47 11 Weeks
3. The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross vol.11 2 Weeks
4. Yu-Gi-Oh! R vol.4 2 Weeks
5. Dogs: Bullets & Carnage vol.3 1 Week
6. Black Butler vol.1 12 Weeks
7. Inuyasha vol.47 1 Week
8. Vampire Knight vol.9 10 Weeks
9. Soul Eater vol.2 7 Weeks
10. Bleach vol.30 6 Weeks
Really cool that Dogs is selling so well over here.
No One Piece??
This is the week after the One Piece take over. So I guess none of them stayed on for long.
Wow, that was a fast guest appearance on the list by OP.
Well the fact that so many were on the list is impressive. Especially considering how many are being released at a time right now (5 a month for those who don't know). When VIZ gets back to putting out one at a time, you can probably bet that it will hang around on the list a bit longer.
(1) 3 wks (Rosario + Vampire Season Ⅱ 1) VIZ
(2) 1 wk (Yotsuba&! 8) YEN PRESS
(3) 12 wks (Naruto 47) VIZ
(4) 1 wk (Spice and Wolf 1) YEN PRESS
(5) 13 wks (Black Butler 1) YEN PRESS
(6) 3 wks (The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross 11)
(7) 3 wks (Yu-Gi-Oh! R 4) VIZ
(8) 1 wk (Nightschool 3) YEN PRESS
(9) 9 wks (Alice in the Country of Hearts Volume 1) TOKYOPOP
(10) 8 wks (Soul Eater Volume 2) YEN PRESS
April 25 - May 1
(1) 1 wk (Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE 26) DEL REY
(2) 13 wks (Naruto 47) VIZ
(3) 2 wks (Yotsuba&! 8) YEN PRESS
(4) 4 wks (Rosario + Vampire Season Ⅱ 1) VIZ
(5) 14 wks (Black Butler 1) YEN PRESS
(6) 1 wk (Fruits Basket: Banquet) TOKYOPOP
(7) 4 wks (Yu-Gi-Oh! R 4) VIZ
(8) 2 wks (Spice and Wolf 1) YEN PRESS
(9) 2 wks (Nightschool 3) YEN PRESS
(10) 9 wks (Soul Eater Volume 2) YEN PRESS
May 2 - May 8
(1) 1 wk (Black Bird 4) VIZ
(2) 1 wk (Otomen 6) VIZ
(3) 1 wk (D.Gray-man 17) VIZ
(4) 1 wk (One Piece 44) VIZ
(5) 3 wks (Yotsuba&! 8) YEN PRESS
(6) 1 wk (One Piece 46) VIZ
(7) 1 wk (One Piece 45) VIZ
(8) 2 wks (Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE 26) DEL REY
(9) 1 wk (One Piece 47) VIZ
(10) 1 wk (One Piece 48) VIZ
May 9 - May 15
(1) 2 wks (Black Bird 4) VIZ
(2) 14 wks (Naruto 47) VIZ
(3) 2 wks (D.Gray-man 17) VIZ
(4) 1 wk (InuYasha 48) VIZ
(5) 15 wks (Black Butler 1) YEN PRESS
(6) 5 wks (Rosario + Vampire Season Ⅱ 1) VIZ
(7) 2 wks (Otomen 6) VIZ
(8) 1 wk (Biomega 2) VIZ
(9) 4 wks (Yotsuba&! 8) YEN PRESS
(10) 2 wks (One Piece 46) VIZ
May 16 - May 22
(1) 1 wk (Black Butler 2) YEN PRESS
(2) 3 wks (Black Bird 4) VIZ
(3) 1 wk (Pandora Hearts 2) YEN PRESS
(4) 15 wks (Naruto 47) VIZ
(5) 16 wks (Black Butler 1) YEN PRESS
(6) 3 wks (D.Gray-man 17) VIZ
(7) 1 wk (Kobuto. 1) YEN PRESS
(8) 1 wk (RIN-NE 3) VIZ
(9) 5 wks (Yotsuba&! 8) YEN PRESS
(10) 6 wks (Rosario + Vampire Season Ⅱ 1) VIZ
Last edited by Akiyama; May 28, 2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Imma post to break this chain of double-posting :3
I like seeing D. Gray-man up there...wish my damn bookstore would get volume 12
Also, seems like Rosario + Vampire II is gonna sell as good as the first season.
Glad to see Rinne up there. I hope this means the whole same day release thing is working out for Viz. Maybe it would encourage them to do the same with other series. Plus, I like Rinne so there's also that .
Oh, and from looking at the covers (as I haven't read most of the manga on these lists) I notice American's seem to be into the whole bishounen character design (well with a few exceptions *cough* One Piece *cough*). It's kind of weird when I'm looking at the covers and see all these serious looking "pretty" characters and then you see a cover with a guy who's a skeleton and has an afro .