Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (7/6/15 - 7/26/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 636 by cnet128 , Gintama 552 (2) , One Piece 794 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Favorite Anime of 2015

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Anime of 2015

I thought this might be a fun thing to discuss as the year goes on. Which anime do you think are the best? Why? And maybe see how that opinion changes as the year goes on and more series come out.

For me, right now my top picks would both be series by J.C. Staff. Which surprises me a bit since that isn't really a studio whose name had much meaning to me before this year.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? and Shokugeki no Soma. #1 being Danmachi by a hair. I like them so much because both are nearly perfect versions of what they are. There is no hint of lazy or cheap animation or sub par effects. The people who made those adaptations put a lot of love(and money) into both and I think it shows.

Which ones do you like most?
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Anime of 2015

My favorites this year so far are Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders pt. 2, and Arslan Senki, and Kuroko no Basket 3

[ I may a bit biased because I've been watching Jojo and Kuroko for a while now, and I've been busy so I haven't been able to watch too many other ones (I've seen this year Fate Stay/Night: UBW, and some of Death Parade, I've finished both season 1s of Tokyo Ghoul and Aldnoah Zero but haven't gotten to see their part 2's yet).]

But I'll tell you why those 3 are my favorite anime of the year.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders pt. 2: Its one of the most unique anime I've seen in a while, and its been out for so long. I love the way the main characters have to tackle all the different Stands that appear, it is so much more than a battle manga/anime. The characters really are the driving force behind the story. David Productions does an incredible job with the art style, and animation in the series. Its also so refreshing to see an Anime where they travel the world, although Part 2 takes place in Egypt mostly, so I'll talk about that. But, just seeing such a different setting being explored in an anime is super refreshing to me. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a story about camaraderie to be honest, and seeing them just unite not only in a sense to defeat DIO, but also just because they want to stand by each other they're friends who just happen to have common goals. The art style being that of the musclebound 80's in the anime just makes it stand out much more in the current crowd of anime.

But I have to say its really the way the plot and characters are handled that makes Jojo's Bizarre Adventure so special. The way that the anime just seems to have all the common traits that shounen anime rely on, yet it never seems to resort to tropes which seems to make it clear that Jojo is one of a kind.

Arslan Senki: Its very different, and the first episode is what made me really interested in the series (well, that and the fact that it was created by Hiromu Arakawa), but I have to say it was definitely not exactly what I expected. But I thought it was great to see a clash of ideals, in this anime and the war in itself is just interesting. But its largely made interesting by the characters that participate in it, Both the main characters and the antagonists are very interesting. This anime has a lot of gray areas when it comes to characters, but I definitely feel Arslan is the driving force in the story and probably the most interesting character at the moment as he seems to really help other characters shine when they are around him, and the fact that he is such a kind boy yet his parents (and the rulers of the kingdom) have such different and contrasting personalities with him. I'm really interested in seeing where this goes, and man the antagonists help make things intense…

Kuroko no Basket 3: Kuroko no Basket has been a favorite of mine since it came out, but Season 3 has been great so far. The Generation of Miracles is finally getting into the climax of their games, and the intensity is really turned up. But something that I may appreciate even a bit more is the Flashback arc, that really fleshes out the Generation of Miracles relationships. Its been really awesome to see how they came to being the way they are pretty much, and definitely solidifies the entire series. It also makes their current character progression stronger and gives them depth. I don't want to spoil the games, but its definitely been a fun ride.

P.S. I just wanted to say I think Fate/Stay Night: UBW is great and the action scenes are some of the best I've seen. I just think I may like the plot of Fate/Zero a bit more, so thats probably why its not on my current list, but I'm loving it right now.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Luxembourg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sticked the thread at top for more visibility, thank you for the good thread idea, Jammin ^_^

My favourite anime of the 2015:

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata: A brilliant ride for the fans of harem genre, far from generic, and extremely entertaining with well-developed characters.

Death Parade: The way this show built up to its final and peaked, it is very hard to say you didn't like it in the end. There was a magical touch of good story telling in this one.

Hibike! Euphonium: For the fans of anime with music theme, this show managed to take over from where Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso left and became the flagship of peaceful tones in the anime world this ongoing season.

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the variety of picks!

This already seems like a particularly strong year for Anime. So I feel like there are a lot more than usual that a solid argument can be made for. If you just ignore all genres and pick one "best" one it becomes pretty hard.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, let's see.

2015 winter was a bit of a bust for me. Didn't have a lot of time to watch too much, and of what I did, nothing really stood out to me. 2015 spring has been much better so far though. There's a few which I've wanted to watch, but just haven't found the time for (eg. Arslan Senki)... maybe when some of the business stuff I've got going finishes up in a few months, I'll have a chance to catch up some.

But as for favourites... I guess I just have to think of which ones I've looked forwards to the next episode airing with anticipation, and they include...

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru. Zoku for sure. As much as they've had to cut things out from the source material, and the impossibilities of conveying certain things visually that can only be done in textual form, what they have added which can only be done visually and with animation have made up for it in my eyes. Complex and believable characters, and lots of subtleties.

Fate/Stay Night: UBW. Been a fan of F/SN since I ran into it years ago, and this has been a real treat to watch. Now, given how verbose the source material is, I think it's done quite well in its adaptation, but some of the raw desperation and heroicism which was in the VN hasn't quite made it across. Regardless, it's nice to see everything in action, and the anime had done a great job with that.

Spoiler: Some comparisons with Fate/Zero show

Runner ups: Sidonia S2. Not enjoying this season quite as much as the first, mainly due to the slowdown in the plot. It's taken a bit more time to develop the characters, but the whole story feels like it's come to a complete standstill in the last few episodes. I'm an old school sci-fi fan, and season 1 totally delivered on that front for me, especially with the execution of the battles with proper physics (I'm okay with some fictional physics, as long as the story stays consistent within the framework of rules it has established). Season 2 hasn't quite had as much of this, which has been a bit disappointing, but the battle should be coming up soon...
    Last edited by TrienDarkform; June 11, 2015 at 02:04 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrienDarkform View Post
    Hmm, let's see.

2015 winter was a bit of a bust for me. Didn't have a lot of time to watch too much, and of what I did, nothing really stood out to me. 2015 spring has been much better so far though. There's a few which I've wanted to watch, but just haven't found the time for (eg. Arslan Senki)... maybe when some of the business stuff I've got going finishes up in a few months, I'll have a chance to catch up some.

But as for favourites... I guess I just have to think of which ones I've looked forwards to the next episode airing with anticipation, and they include...

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru. Zoku for sure. As much as they've had to cut things out from the source material, and the impossibilities of conveying certain things visually that can only be done in textual form, what they have added which can only be done visually and with animation have made up for it in my eyes. Complex and believable characters, and lots of subtleties.

Fate/Stay Night: UBW. Been a fan of F/SN since I ran into it years ago, and this has been a real treat to watch. Now, given how verbose the source material is, I think it's done quite well in its adaptation, but some of the raw desperation and heroicism which was in the VN hasn't quite made it across. Regardless, it's nice to see everything in action, and the anime had done a great job with that.

Spoiler: Some comparisons with Fate/Zero show

Runner ups: Sidonia S2. Not enjoying this season quite as much as the first, mainly due to the slowdown in the plot. It's taken a bit more time to develop the characters, but the whole story feels like it's come to a complete standstill in the last few episodes. I'm an old school sci-fi fan, and season 1 totally delivered on that front for me, especially with the execution of the battles with proper physics (I'm okay with some fictional physics, as long as the story stays consistent within the framework of rules it has established). Season 2 hasn't quite had as much of this, which has been a bit disappointing, but the battle should be coming up soon...
    Ding-ding-ding
    You win the best taste award. This is my top 3.
    If I had to add something then Yamada 7-nin

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing I do have to mention about Sidonia, is that I am loving the sound design (both this and previous season, but I've been paying more attention to it this season). From the squishy toy noises for Tsumugi (still undecided if that's absolutely brilliant or completely disturbing...) to the deep throbbing drones for the engines, they add a whole level of atmosphere to it. Sort of ironic considering there's no sound in space too! (It's reminding me of Elite: Dangerous which I've been playing for the last few months... some amazing sound design there too, and it also is set in space!)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Asuhara Yoshiiko's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

My fav of this year would probalbly Plastic memories, it had an amazing story and the romance was amazing, the ending was really sad and even i cried :,D but at the same time it was a good ending because without spoiling to much you sorta knew what was gna happen and it helped make it less sad.

My second fav this year is probalbly shokugeki no soma because i love good food and damn does it make you hungry and you just wna eat everything in that anime anyway it has good variety of great personalities so it never gets boring.

My third fav is Danmachi (Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka) wich is in a worldd similar to a game with a dungeon and seriously i must say the personalities are amazing, they really did a great job with that. There aint really a like deep story but it doesnt mattter cuz the anime is fun and the personalities are great

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My #1 so far is DanMachi.

It was everything I want from a shounen series, pretty much. Liked the characters, the story was fun, the animation looked cool. So it checked a lot of boxes for me.

My #2 is Ore Monogatari.

Which has to be the sweetest anime I've ever watched, much less enjoyed. It's characters are just so overwhelmingly charming that it's impossible not to love it.

Though those are my top series. There are a fair number of series this year that I've liked a lot in addition to those. Shokugeki no soma is great. Fate/Stay Night: UBW was great (though to be honest I thought the second half of the season dropped off from the pure awesomeness that was the first half of the season). Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru was also really good. Then there is, of course, Gintama.

So a really strong start to this year so far, IMO.

New Reply