Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (4/6/15 - 4/12/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Check out the results for the Anime Awards 2014
Could it possibly be almost that time again? On 25, 27 and 29 May Europe's favourite TV-show travels to Oslo, Norway, after Alexander Rybak won the 54th Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow with the song Fairytale.
So yeah, this thread is for all Eurovision Song Contest fans, critics or just curious people. Not sure if I would call myself a fan, but I've been watching it yearly since 2003.
What are your thoughts on that show?
Are you going to watch it, you like it, you don't, it became too political for you and you're sick of the 'buddy-buddy' system or are you just unhappy with your country's entry again?
This shall be the right place to share. Discuss.
I wanted UK to rick roll europe...-cough-Originally Posted by Evil3ye
I'm only watching it for the same reason why I watched the winter olympics.
Looks at the massive explosion of fanarts of Plushenko on Pixiv. Japanese fangirls are indeed fangirls.
But yeah, I kinda found Russia was trying a little bit to hard in year 2008 with Dima Bilan's Believe, Plushenko and the violinist Edvin Marton, song produced by Timbaland c'mon...
But since there are like no guidelines at all, I can't say nothing :y
Though it's funny how Germany was trying to copy that with Dita Von Teese in 2009, but failed miserably
However I must say I like Germany's entry this time. We had a casting over here just for the Prand Prix and Lena Meyer-Landrut won. Satellite.
Personally I needed to listen like 4-5 times to it, but it really grew on me. Which could be a big minus though, since she'll only have one chance to strike :P
I haven't been watching our's much, except when some people I know were participating (made 5th place in the finals). Haven't heard the winning song, but word is that it sucks. ><
To tell the truth, Eurovision is one of the most cancerous things I know. This is the first time I've watched it (just one show) in like 5 years and it's only gotten worse. Hate that shit.
Very nice thread idea E3!
I enjoy watching the Eurovision Song Contest Final’s each year; mainly for the lolz, some of the songs are good and there are plenty of hot women to admire too. Some of the stage designs of recent years have been amazing. Eurovision 2008 had the best stage design/layout. They did an incredible job.
Malta’s been robbed like several times lol. 2002 should’ve been their year!
(Malta 2002) Ira Losco - 7th Wonder (The song lyrics were actually superb for a Eurovision submission imo.)
What’s been some of your favourite Eurovision songs over the years?
Some of mine are:
(Armenia 2008) Sirusho – Qele Qele
(Malta 2002) Ira Losco - 7th Wonder
(Israel 2007) Teapacks – Push The Button (LOL! Awful song but just sooo funny imo)
(Turkey 2003 Winner) Sertab Erener - Everyway That I Can (The live vocal performance was atrocious nevertheless the tune was still a banger.) (The official music video is SEXY!)
Well those are some that come to mind. I can’t remember the others atm.
I heard some of Turkey's 2010 submission; seems like they’re focusing on a band called ManGa! LOL! There’s a few songs floating about on the net with different arrangements and tempos but this one is my favourite!
Last edited by Bugzee; April 18, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
I kinda too am watching it for the lols. or that's what I keep on saying that is
I catch myself calling for Russia from time to time though (2-3 calls, no more, I'm no maniac :P)
From your list I only remember Sertab Erener - Everyway That I Can. Was A very catchy tune, I liked that song, yeah
Here's the list from the official ESC page.
25th May Semi Final
- Moldova - SunStroke Project and Olia Tira - "Run Away"
- Russia - Peter Nalitch and Friends - "Lost and Forgotten"
- Estonia - Malcolm Lincoln and Manpower 4 - "Siren"
- Slovakia - Kristina - "Horehronie"
- Finland - Kuunkuiskaajat - "Työlki ellää"
- Latvia - Aisha - "What For?"
- Serbia - Milan Stanković - "Ovo je Balkan"
- Bosnia and Herzegovina - Vukašin Brajić - "Thunder and Lightning"
- Poland - Marcin Mroziński - "Legenda"
- Belgium - Tom Dice - "Me and My Guitar"
- Malta - Thea Garrett - "My Dream"
- Albania - Juliana Pasha - "It's All About You"
- Greece - Giorgos Alkaios and Friends - "OPA"
- Portugal - Filipa Azevedo - "Há dias assim"
- Macedonia - Gjoko Taneski, Billy Zver and Pejcin - "Jas ja imam silata"
- Belarus - 3+2 - "Butterflies"
- Iceland - Hera Björk - "Je ne sais quoi"
27th Semi Final
- Lithuania - InCulto - "East European Funk"
- Armenia - Eva Rivas - "Apricot Stone"
- Israel - Harel Skaat - "Milim"
- Denmark - Chanée and N'evergreen - "In a Moment Like This"
- Switzerland - Michael von der Heide - "Il pleut de l'or"
- Sweden - Anna Bergendahl - "This Is My Life"
- Azerbaijan - Safura Alizadeh - "Drip Drop"
- Ukraine - Alyosha - "Sweet People"
- Netherlands - Sieneke - "Ik ben verliefd (Sha-la-lie)"
- Romania - Paula Seling and Ovi - "Playing with Fire"
- Slovenia - Ansambel Roka Žlindre and Kalamari - "Narodnozabavni rock"
- Ireland - Niamh Kavanagh - "It's for You"
- Bulgaria - Miro - "Angel si ti"
- Cyprus - Jon Lilygreen and The Islanders - "Life Looks Better in Spring"
- Croatia - Feminnem - "Lako je sve"
- Georgia - Sopho Nizharadze - "Shine"
- Turkey - maNga - "We Could Be the Same"
- Spain - Daniel Diges - "Algo pequeñito"
- Norway - Didrik Solli-Tangen - "My Heart Is Yours"
- United Kingdom - Josh Dubovie - "That Sounds Good to Me"
- France - Jessy Matador - "Allez Ola Olé"
- Germany - Lena Meyer-Landrut - "Satellite"
We're not going through the semi's, I'll tell you that much. Sweden's singer sounds like she swallowed a goat.
Don't know what to expect about us... we mostly tend to think good and then it turns out bad. Now, we tend to think negative and...
this is Belgium
Mmhh just skipped through a few songs you've mentioned...
Sweden mmh.. I've got the feeling I already heard that song over here. Might be wrong though, but I believe the Germans used a part of it in a commercial, no way it not gonna make it to the final show.
Belgium is a little bit depressing in the begining, like Buggy said
As for maNga haha... guess it's quite ok.
Here's the official yt side btw, for everyone who haven't found it yet, with all vids and stuff
Russia got a very low entry this year imo. Totally not gonna get my calls ._.
His outfit send a chill down my spine... Hope they buy him some new clothes before letting him disgrace the whole country. The song is some kind of old Russian folklore sung in English, it's just crap.
Just found out that he was discovered on youtube or something. Awful. Don't know. Big let-down after the entries of the last few years which were all big stars over there (Tatu, D. Bilan, Serebro). I don't see him getting enough votes for the final.
Last edited by Evil3ye; April 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
I've never voted in these contests. I don't think it really matters whether the "public" vote or not. I wonder what the presenters will be like this year? lol
Norway's victory last year was well deserved imo. That Fairytale song was f**k**g great! I thought the singer, Alexander Rybak, was trying a bit too hard on stage though. Still a really good tune.
Not a fan of Eurovision, but I still tend to check out the finals. Atleast for the lols.
Okay, gotta agree with Evil, russian entry is just horrible. Maybe we'll now see does the huge russian speaking 'minority' living in the the eastern Europe really have impact on votes.
Though like I'm the one to speak, we always get the few pity points from other Nordic countries. Though this year I doubt were even getting to the final. 'Työllki ellää' is such a lame little folk song.
Btw, Lordi winning the Eurovision is probaply biggest WTF-moment in my life this far.
I hope Turkey win. None of the other tracks deserve to win BUT everyone's saying that Denmark have a strong chance this year. Why? Because the song is "typical Eurovision-material".
You guys should check it out, it's quite funny because they've ripped off like several songs and combined the melodies/sounds to make one ugly tune entitled: Chanée & N'Evergreen - In a moment like this *How many "moment like this" tracks have been released this past decade? *
Things I've noticed:
- The Police - Every Breath You Take (Later sampled by Puffy) Definitely been ripped off and used in the Danish song.
- The chorus is soooooo ABBA-like LOL!
- Parts of the song remind of Bryan Adam's Summer of 69. Meh it's just me, I can hear it.
- The drums and arrangement during the verses ARE SO similar to Berlin's Take my breath away (I love this tune btw ).
So what do guys think?
Last edited by Bugzee; April 27, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
I do think that the guy's outfit is cool. Now to think of it I don't even have a single black tie. Shall I go and buy one now The girl is quite pretty and the show with the transparated wall in the beginning was not bad either.
Oh as for the song. Meh to me, but I can see Denmark being in the Top10 that is.
Last edited by Evil3ye; April 28, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: '