Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/18/15 - 5/24/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
Hunter x Hunter has throughout the years introduced us to some pretty awesome character designs, as well as some that are weird and others that are just plain ugly. In this thread we'll each share our favourite character designs, as well our least favourite. We can even discuss other things related to character designs, like for instance what future designs we'd like to see be made to a character.
I'll begin by listing some of my favourites:
Gon's Classic Design
I honestly can't for the life of me comprehend how someone could dislike Gon's design. I love his untamed spiky hair (particularly in the new anime), his eyes of gold, and his somewhat dorky green jacket, shorts and boots combo, and even the fishing rod. It's iconic and perfect for our protagonist!
Kurapika's Classic and Yorknew Designs
I love the whole Chinese-esque wardrobe that Kurapika has. His original design is simple, but the colours match nicely. His Yorkshin clothes are even better, making him look much more badass. I prefer the shorter hairstyle he had earlier in the series compared to the longer one he has now though.
Hisoka's Heaven's Arena Design
My favourite of Hisoka's designs. At first I found the ball on his lower torso to be pretty WTF, but now I've grown to love it. I love the outfit's colours, and I also love Hisoka's colours in the new anime, be it his skintone, eye colour and especially his fabulous pink/blue hair (which looks great no matter which style he wears it).
And now some of my least favourites:
He's just plain ugly overall. I mean that face is just painful to look at. On the plus side I do kind of like his outfit and it's choice of colours.
If the purpose of this design was to be unappealing, it worked. Gon just looks awful, from the contrast between his overgrown body and child-size clothing, to his WTF hair. Gon really did look like a monster. I hope that the anime gives him a Nen shroud to make him look less ridiculous.
I love Killua's design. Is the best design imo, he could be the main character lol
I guess my least favourite design is some ants...
I kind of like Gon having crazy long hair in his transformation, but I agree that his overall appearance isn't very appealing. It definitely fits given the situation, but something about Gon being so huge and muscled feels strange. His exaggerated appearance, however is probably only the result of his
I don't have a lot of time to go into great detail about all the character designs from HxH I love and hate (I'm actually typing this sitting in a college class). However, I will say that one of my most consistently favorite character designs is Killua. His appearance can fit both badass and adorable expressions and he's always been one of the sharpest dressers in the series.
Ironically, I'm not a huge fan of how he appears in the old Nippon anime. They made him look a little too edgy and underplayed his cute qualities. I also absolutely hate dat light pink shirt he wore in the beginning.
i really like Saccho despite having that weird horse face ..sometimes weird characters can be cool somehow ..i like the diversity in designs in hxh.
..i like about that character his purple kimono with the roses in the bottom .and two swords ..the tattoos in his hands.
he a counselor he must be clever
am sure he has a more weirder nen ability am dying to know more about this character
Last edited by zzigg; April 30, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Being ugly doesn't necessarily mean the design is bad. Some characters are just meant to look horsey :P
I actually think Gon's transformation is supposed to look bad. It is not like a power-up or "special mode", but more like an abomination.
Togashi has a lot of variety in his designs. You can find characters with weird forms like in One Piece, realistic characters with small eyes like real people, and typical anime characters like Gon, Kurapika, or Biscuit. And every point in-between.
I personally like the style with round noses that he has developed lately. Like Amane, or Kurapika and Pairo in Kurapika's reminiscences.
- Gon overall. Particularly his Yusuke-outfit during the later parts of the chimera ant's arc (look at the new ED for the anime to understand) and the awesome outfit during the dodgeball game. Also, Über-Gon is meant to look Über (and Über cool as well)! :B
- Also, I like how some normal looking characters fit in contrast to the weirder ones in the world of HxH. In that category, I mean Leorio, Wing, Netero and Zeno in particular.
- Biske. In the matter of contrasts, she is a big one in herself, and I do enjoy how it plays both in her design and in her personality.
- Chimera ants. As a whole. I made a comment about it recently in the anime discussion. In particular, Zitoh, Hagya/Leol, the Koala ant, and of course, Meruem and the Royal Guards are some of my favorites!
- The Jūnishin. It's really funny the contrast between their degrees of transformation (look-wise), and I like how it ended up looking. It's cool, and different!
- The ant suppression team's character designs as a whole. Besides the one in the below comment, who deserves a observation of his own.
- And my two most favorites: the second being Morau (a giant-looking, shades-wearing, pipe-smoking, deep-purpling cool sailor with a design that is both charismatic and intimidating; almost can't get more manly than that) and numero uno goes to... Kaito of course! (doubts? He's my definition of awesomeness for HxH).
Also, no real design that I dislike enough to make a comment on. Sorry!
Last edited by heron bpv; April 30, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
i love shizuku from the PT she is very kawaii that innocent nerdy smart girl look
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS THREAD!? How has no one spoken of the awesomeness that is Chrollo Lucilfer's badass shirt and coat!?
Cause Ryodan members are overrated around here, maybe? o.õ
Or the regular posters are just sleeping xD