Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (2/23/15 - 3/1/15).
! Visit the new forums for Tokyo Ghoul and The Gamer!
Forum News: Vote in the final phase of the Anime Awards 2014
How quickly the jinchūriki overpowered our heroes
Madara's near grab of Naruto
Hatake Kakashi and Might Guy's dynamic entry
Other (let me know in the comments)
Welcome all to this week's Naruto review. We got another strangely short chapter so this review won't be running as long as usual. But before we get to that, I asked last week, in a poll that's still open here, which of the revived jinchūriki was your favorite. It was a close race with every jinchūriki getting decent votes, but at the time of writing, first place was a three-way tie between Rōshi, Han, and Fū. The rankings are sure to change, though, as readers see each character unleash their tailed beast. Now for the chapter review...
Blackjack 612's Review of Naruto 566: Eyes & Beasts
As always, images in this review are credited to mangastream/binktopia.
Round Two, Start!
Eyes & Beasts continues with Killer B's entering Full-on Eight-Tails mode. Upon tranforming, B rotates his massive body and makes a clearing in the forest with his spinning tentacles. While the revived jinchūriki get swept away with B's attack, the top brass are accessing the situation at Shinobi HQ. The sensors can tell that even in his Eight-Tails state B is being pushed back and it's decided that B and Naruto will need relief. It's agreed that the Five Kage are needed most where they're at, fighting Madara together. Shukaku sends out an order to all the squads but Fourth Division, who are backing up the Kage, that once each squad finishes its fight it should immediaately head to Naruto's location to backup the jinchūriki.
Naruto witnesses the destruction from the Eight-Tails' shoulders in astonishment. That one attacks brings the revived jinchūriki down leaving each vulnerable to sealing. Killer B does just this using his Octopus Hold sealing technique. First, he spits out ink clones of human-form Killer B. Then, the clones rush at their targets and cover them in ink. Finally, taking just three seconds, the ink freezes the targets and thus they're sealed. But you didn't really think the fight would end that easily, did you? Before the three seconds required to seal them are up, Tobi has all the jinchūriki power up simultaneously.
A new challenger appears!
All six jinchūriki enter their tailed-beast shrouds will all tails active. The ensuing attack quickly overwhelms Naruto and B. By the time Han transfrms into full Six-Tails form (no longer just the shround) it's all over. B's down for the count in a bloody attack and before Naruto can notice, Tobi is on top of him ready to seal the deal. Apparently, Tobi need only touch Naruto with his right hand to win, the same hand that's within an inch of his face. Luckily Kakashi and Might Guy show up to save the day. They had been lying in wait for an opening and used Naruto as bait. They were aiming for the instant that Tobi had to materialize in this plane of existence to capture Naruto. Their attack forces Tobi to phase through Naruto, leaving our erstwhile hero safe. But will Sharingan Kakashi's keen eye and the Noble Green Beast of Konoha be enough to turn the tide against Tobi's powerful combination of eyes and beasts?
The art in Naruto 566 ranged from satisfactory to excellent. The Eight-Tails was a clear stand out this chapter, generating some striking imagery with its various abilities. That first jutsu it used to make space in the forest was especially well drawn. Elsewhere in the chapter, there wasn't anything I could find to complain about artistically. They may have been an uninteresting panel here or there but better boring than badly drawn.
Other favorite images this chapter were Madara rising out of the ground in front of his small army and Kakashi and Guy's double team. The former was well composed and besides being stylish underscores the synchronicity with which the jinchūriki attack. The latter recalled the older Naruto art style back before the manga gained it's current, more polished look. The designs are well drawn but still look organic without coming off as messy or flawed.
Overall, I was entertained. I had no qualms with what was in the chapter. That said, there wasn't much here. No character development. No thematic exploration. Sparse dialogue. The tiniest bit of plot momentum with Kakashi and Guy making a an appearance, though not until the end of the chapter. Just a lot of action. Granted, this chapters fight scenes were well executed and wonderful to look at, but on the whole Naruto 566 Eyes & Beasts felt like a light serving of Naruto, as if Kishimoto got to the point where Kakashi and Guy show up and thought to himself, "This would make a nice cliffhanger," and just left it at that. It definitely doesn't help that this chapter follows on the heels of another short chapter, which is why it gets a ...
4 out of 5.
My predictions last review were partly true. We didn't get a battle royale between tailed beast, at least yet, but Naruto and B were quickly overwhelmed by Tobi's dominance of eyes and beasts, so much so that Kishimoto named the chapter after those assets.
Next chapter, I expect Guy and Kakashi to make a good go of it but even they won't be enough to even the odds. Will Naruto and Killer B fall before more backup arrives or should we expect more dynamic entries? I think we'll see more backup. I'd hope for Sakura, but as a medical ninja she's far too valuable where she is. In the end though, I still expect the beasts to be extracted and for the Jubi to return.
I've got other long term predictions located here, although Kishimoto's advanced the plot more speedily than I could have imagined so I imagine I'll have to update those soon. That's it for this week. I'll see you next chapter space shinobi...
- "Awesome, you sealed them all...at once...?" You didn't really think it'd be that easy, Naruto.
- "Looks like 6 vs 2 is still out of your league."
- "What a nuisance..."
One Line Reviews
- This has been a great week for manga with multiple titles delivering solid chapters within days of one another. So in the spirit of giving (it is Christmas after all), I'm introducing a special one-time section, One Line reviews in which I shine a brief light on other titles so that if you're interested and somehow didn't know a new chapter was out (or maybe want to pick up a new series) you'll know what's what. Starting with...
- the only bad egg in the bunch, Air Gear whose big twist seems unearned as the manga races towards a conclusion at too great a speed and failing to adequately invest us in the plot or the characters.
- A very Funny chapter of D.Gray-Man is out that follows the brilliant pairing of Johnny and Kanda that's Full of potential.
- Kubo continues to exceed my expectations in Bleach with the main fight wrapping up far faster than I would have imagined and everyone given a solid character moment in an arc that ties surprisingly well in to what we were shown in the Soul Society arc.
- One Piece concludes its arc in typical fashion with a celebration (perhaps providing a decent jumping on point for new readers too intimidated to start from the beginning or old readers who checked out during the recent arc) while revealing a bit more of the world's mythology.
- Honestly, Billy Bat has been on a role for a while now but this latest chapter in particular has the makings of greatness with chilling suspense, a great villian, and a reveal that casts new light on everything that's gone before. I can not recommend this title enough. Start from the beginning and you won't regret it. I know this is more than one line, but it's that good of a series. In fact, I'm going to reread the latest chapter right now...
oh I have been missing a single review for so long,anyway Black I agree with you especially when you say that the art has been increasing thank's to Kishi's skills and experience,but above all it was due to the fact that in this chapter there were a lot of double-pages.and I've noticed that these pages are the ones where the draws are better.
i think Kishi , is thinkin who to sacriface b4 Naruto goes berserk , only thing is the kyubi will want to cooperate . and the both will fight , tobi's face revealed , and i think Kyubi will be the one to reveal alot of Naruto's clan secret in sealing . or after tobi 's face is revealed . i also think Naruto wont be captured , if Killerbee wont be captured in the next chapter cuz i saw he was down already and tobi was standing on him . that is what i think anyways .
anyway,to comment the chapter itself,I liked it the first time,that is when I saw Bee's sealing technique,the jins' power-up,the berserk 5tails and kakashi and gai's arrival. but if I look even,I find it a bit meaningless: naruto can do nothing! and from Bee I'd expect more. Also,Kakashi and Gai's entry isn't so great,since we missed their fight. I don't want kishi to overlook such things
Just wait for the anime to catch up, I have a feeling we will get to see more of these fights.