Final Fantasy 7 is a little overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best RPG of all time but it's not the absolute best. FF7 received this status because it was the FF known worldwide. Basically, US & Europe discovered FF with FF7.
FF9 was a good final fantasy (in my top 5) but it wasn't very original in my opinion. The pace wasn't as good as in FF6/FF7 and characters were far less interesting than in FF6.
My personal classement:
1) FF8: Because it was my first FF and it was a shock. I never played RPG before & since that game, I'm an RPG addict. So, FF8 have a great importance in my gaming history ... probably the most important. It's a "coup de coeur", not rational but I just love this game ... mayble blind love .
... Then there is a gap for me ...
5) FF10: Why no world map Squaresoft ? WHYYYYYYY?
... Another gap ...
6) FF3 (the DS remake)
7) FF12: Honestly, it's just that high because of the "star wars" feeling I had while playing it. Graphics & Gameplay were also very good but Vaan is probably the worst hero in FF history. And the story & villains are completely anecdotic.
8) FF4: Would rank higher if I didn't try it right after FF6 ...
10) FF1 & 2
... huge gap ...
11) FF13: How to destroy a licence in one game. I was already a little disappointed when FF10 came out (I expected more). But FF13 is just a disaster in every way. Good graphics & good battle system is not enough for me when you have that linearity, those stupid characters, a "not-so-great" world & a "meh" story.
I'm sure that FF1->5 would rank higher if those games were not so old. And also because FF6 showed us the perfection of the 8-16bits era. After FF6, any old school RPG are just dull for me.
I didn't count FFX-2, tactics & revenant wings because I don't consider those ones as "REAL" ff
Last edited by zelllogan; November 04, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
I agree on most counts though I don't think FF7 is overrated as I liked it more than FF6. But I think that tends to be a matter of personal preference more than anything else. Since both those games were so good.
(Though I actually don't think either were the best RPG's I've played. For me that's Suikoden 2.)
I have very mixed feelings about FF8. On the one hand it really was a deep and fun RPG, aside from the last dungeon, which I thought was really annoying. On the other hand I blame it for FF10, FF12, and FF13. Because FF8 marked the first time that the series tried adopting a realistic art style. Which I consider to be a terrible mistake. Causing Final Fantasy games to end up being extremely expensive to make, and resulting in too much style over substance.
I would rather see an RPG look like it was made using RPG Maker 2 than for it to look amazing and have no decent story, characters, or sense of immersion.
If its the question of the first FF game played, I played FF4 from Snes - then, if I recall correctly, I played 1-3, then 5 and so on. Still, FF6 is my nr1 in FF games department <still remember the first time I played that game - freakin' awesome feeling> Though its not like its my favourite rpg game of all time, just from FF games. <or jrpg, whatever xd>
More FFXIII-2 info about paradigms, battle balance and monster collection has been posted
Last edited by Jammin; November 08, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
@Jammin, I will be honest here: I played them when I had a computer on S/Nes emulator and roms If it means for 'training' my teams, I always used some area and put the emulator to speed up the process for my fights xP Oh well, I couldn't resist that on FF 1-3 on Nes emulator <though I think I shouldn't bother telling it here xP>
That aside: Contra was fantastic, especially for 2 players <so much fun xD>
That aside x2: it seems from the reviews that the new remake of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time on 3DS is fantastic xP
SE is going to release a FXIII-2 Collector's Edition in NA.
You know what would be a really cool idea, and not at all expensive? Remake the 3D Final Fantasy games in 2D ! Just imagine playing them with sprites and a top-down view. Maybe even make the gameplay a little more traditional? I doubt SE would actually do think of doing that though.
A new FFXIII-2 trailer which depicted Lightning's battle with Caius
If they put all of their efforts like they did with Crisis Core then we can say that SE is on the right track concerning FF Versus.
Is FF13 worth buying? I heard it is very linear but still a pretty good game. I haven't played any of the other FF series....