Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (7/6/15 - 7/26/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 636 by cnet128 , Gintama 552 (2) , One Piece 794 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shahdan's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Hirari at the investors meeting. LMFAO.

私を愛して 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished with Final Fantasy IX a while ago! I was rather impatient to do all the side quests properly, so I just beat the game then move on. Especially because a friend keeps on nagging at me with Final Fantasy Type-0! Looks so nice. Since I don't have a PSP in real world I can only use PPSSPP. I also wanted to play the game on mt phone but unfortunately it still lags at the moment. Playing a real-action RPG on computer with keyboard just doesn't make sense, lol.

Anyone can maybe share their best setting for playing it on Android, with 1 GB RAM?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

FF Type-0 will be launched on March 17th in N. America, March 19th in Japan, and March 20th in Europe.

Oh, the FF Type-0 director will be taking over FFXV so Nomura can focus on KHIII

---------- Post added September 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was September 17, 2014 at 10:47 PM ----------

The demo for FFXV
    Last edited by riki; September 20, 2014 at 09:25 PM.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I don't understand this Final Fantasy XV all male cast thing at all.

“The party members being all men was something that [former director] Tetsuya Nomura had kept as a very important element of this journey. He wanted to depict a story in which a group of men, a group of friends, journey throughout the world. So that’s something that I kept in Final Fantasy XV.” - Tabata

Why? What's the advantage to having only a certain type of character? To be honest, this really effects my expectations for the game in a negative way because I was hoping for some interesting character reveals. Not having female characters also just sounds like a bad idea to me. You can't have a bunch of emo guys doing the bromance thing for a whole game, not unless it's an otome game.

Sure, I hated Vanille and Lightening but not because they were girls. I hated them because the one was annoying and the other had the charisma of a stone. I just don't get this.
    Last edited by Jammin; September 23, 2014 at 09:03 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont understand peoples complaints on final fantasy gender, people just got three games with Lightning as a strong fem lead, and even had a game with an all female cast...Clearly, they are doing better than other companies, and people have no clue how the other characters in ff15 will be without playing the game.

If people are really up in arms about characters gender without playing a game. then well theres more to life than peoples appearances.

SoTaku is Love | Todoroki x Kaminari | Team Haikyuu!! | Team BLack Clover | Team Food Wars!

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Dont understand peoples complaints on final fantasy gender, people just got three games with Lightning as a strong fem lead, and even had a game with an all female cast...Clearly, they are doing better than other companies, and people have no clue how the other characters in ff15 will be without playing the game.

If people are really up in arms about characters gender without playing a game. then well theres more to life than peoples appearances.
    I don't think it's about whether it's male of female though. It's the gender disparity as factor in and of itself. If it was an all female game my complaint would be the same.(Just as it was with Final Fantasy X-II)

It's about taking something away from the core character dynamics. Imagine a Persona game with only one gender, or a Tales game? Terrible idea right? In a lengthy RPG a quality and variety of characters and perspectives is a vital part of telling a good story; take that away and you take away depth. What would Final Fantasy VII have been without Aeris and Tifa?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    It's about taking something away from the core character dynamics. Imagine a Persona game with only one gender, or a Tales game? Terrible idea right? In a lengthy RPG a quality and variety of characters and perspectives is a vital part of telling a good story; take that away and you take away depth. What would Final Fantasy VII have been without Aeris and Tifa?

I couldnt say without playing it really. I dont see how its different than people playing games with all male or all female parties, or watching a movie with a male or female lead, or reading a novel with an female lead etc. The whole narrative would most likely have female characters in it so it doesnt really matter if they are playable or not. Do people complain about NFL games having all male characters?

I think complaints should be withheld until people play the whole game and assess it.

SoTaku is Love | Todoroki x Kaminari | Team Haikyuu!! | Team BLack Clover | Team Food Wars!

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    I couldnt say without playing it really. I dont see how its different than people playing games with all male or all female parties, or watching a movie with a male or female lead, or reading a novel with an female lead etc. The whole narrative would most likely have female characters in it so it doesnt really matter if they are playable or not. Do people complain about NFL games having all male characters?

I think complaints should be withheld until people play the whole game and assess it.
    The difference is in narrative focus. Something with all male or female characters is inherently different than something with a conventional cast. And while I'm sure there are female side characters that's not the same thing. There are only certain kinds of stories that can be told with an all male main cast and most of those are very far from epic fantasy/sci fi which is what Final Fantasy typically draws from.

Sports games are not story driven. There are no characters, there are no plot lines. Athletes in them are the equivalent of cars in a racing game.

And I strongly disagree that concerns should be withheld, we're both consumers. Square Enix wants us to give them our money for something that they are selling us. That means we have the right to try and figure out whether or not what they are selling us is actually something worth buying. Right now we know a few things about Final Fantasy XV.

- It's an action game in which Noctis is the only character you control (the others are managed through orders)
    - It's only 55% Complete somehow.(How is that even possible!!)
    - It's geared toward casual gamers.
    - It looks very pretty.
    - It has a car you can drive around. (Why you would want to has yet to be revealed.)
    - Aaand it's a sausage festival hosted in bro-city by the japanese backstreet boys.

I hope you can understand why that would foster some skepticism for me about the final product. Granted we should know a lot more when the Demo comes out but we do know some things now, and most of those things don't fill my heart with optimism.
    Last edited by Jammin; September 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Some screenshots for FFXV and Type-0 are out

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

My history with final fantasy is the one of a long time fan, I played FF1,2,4,5 and finished 3,6,7,8,9,10,10-2,12,13,13-2 ... And I'm among the many people who loudly shout "IT WAS BETTER BEFORE"

For the moment, I'm playing FF4 (steam version). I played 14 hours so far.
    Not everything about the game is awesome by today standards but the game got a soul, an identity.
    Don't tell me there isn't a massive potential public for an old school final fantasy.

Who really wants to play with Noctis and the rest of the 'N Sync (see better name than backstreet boys for them) ? I find the overall design of the characters awful. It's almost as bad as FF12 for me. At least, Noctis is a prince and not a fucking Vaan.

If I was super rich, I would bought square enix and gave them following instructions for a new final fantasy:
    - Final fantasy game in an heroic fantasy world (ff4,ff6,ff9 as inspirations)
    - No action rpg, real "turn by turn" system inspired from Grandia 2
    - A real world map
    - No random encounters. Visible beasts that can be avoided
    - Nobuo Uematsu
    - A great villain (inspiration Kefka, Joker)
    - a great set of heroes to save the world and with a design that would make me believe they are something else than male prostittutes from Shinjuku
    - At least one really important death among the main characters (tellah, Aerith, ...)
    - Keep the world to be discovered first by walking, then with a boat, then with a flyng vessel
    - The moment you acquire the flyng vessel is the moment to do side quests to prepare for endgame.
    Last edited by zelllogan; September 26, 2014 at 02:18 PM.

Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I don't understand this Final Fantasy XV all male cast thing at all.

“The party members being all men was something that [former director] Tetsuya Nomura had kept as a very important element of this journey. He wanted to depict a story in which a group of men, a group of friends, journey throughout the world. So that’s something that I kept in Final Fantasy XV.” - Tabata

Why? What's the advantage to having only a certain type of character? To be honest, this really effects my expectations for the game in a negative way because I was hoping for some interesting character reveals. Not having female characters also just sounds like a bad idea to me. You can't have a bunch of emo guys doing the bromance thing for a whole game, not unless it's an otome game.

Sure, I hated Vanille and Lightening but not because they were girls. I hated them because the one was annoying and the other had the charisma of a stone. I just don't get this.
    Why does it matter? For once, I am glad the game has no female characters. It's not like FF females exude anything called personality anyway. You can take most of them out and replace them with stock characters and it'll still be fine. Good riddance.

I mean no offense, but you're 30; what's with this use of EMO? This isn't even legit criticism criticism, as this dynamic has never been explored in FF - a trip with childhood friends. Think of the social and tier placement within the group. Any other sociological factors that they can be explored in depth.

FF XIII and the three horrendous installments and then FF X-2 had all female leads - no one cried wolf, but an all male cast has suddenly everyone up in arms about it? It's so damn puerile to call it sausage fest. How many games have male characters lead? How is this suddenly so unacceptable?

The difference is in narrative focus.

- Aaand it's a sausage festival hosted in bro-city by the japanese backstreet boys.
    So you practically have no legit criticism to throw this game's way? It has all-male lead, so let's call it a boy-band? Also, that is the narrative focus. Why should they add any female character, if it doesn't fit the plot? Should they add it because it doesn't fit well with the tastes of the opposing lobby?

Should God of War HAVE a playable female character because it's a sausage fest? Should any novel or short story be called sausage fest or boy band party if the lead characters are men? Seriously? I never expected that grown individuals would throw such empty criticism when FF actually has a chance to head in a fresh new direction.

I hope to god, Tabata doesn't listen to you people and delivers this. No dev should have to keel over to meet popular demand, because that would result in the death of creativity. After X and on-wards, FF has been horrible. Hopefully, this will be a start of something decent. I am liking this new direction.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Who really wants to play with Noctis and the rest of the 'N Sync (see better name than backstreet boys for them) ? I find the overall design of the characters awful. It's almost as bad as FF12 for me. At least, Noctis is a prince and not a fucking Vaan.
    I do. Who the heck wants to play with characters like Fran or Yuna? The latter was at least combat useful, forget her horrendous back-story and personality. The characters look really neat. You obviously didn't even grasp why Vaan was added. I suggest you replay FF 12.
    Last edited by shahdan; October 02, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shahdan View Post
    Why does it matter? For once, I am glad the game has no female characters. It's not like FF females exude anything called personality anyway. You can take most of them out and replace them with stock characters and it'll still be fine. Good riddance.

I mean no offense, but you're 30; what's with this use of EMO? This isn't even legit criticism criticism, as this dynamic has never been explored in FF - a trip with childhood friends. Think of the social and tier placement within the group. Any other sociological factors that they can be explored in depth.

FF XIII and the three horrendous installments and then FF X-2 had all female leads - no one cried wolf, but an all male cast has suddenly everyone up in arms about it? It's so damn puerile to call it sausage fest. How many games have male characters lead? How is this suddenly so unacceptable?
    EMO refers to an immature form of melodrama similar to that in the twilight series' sparkly vampires. I'm not sure bearing on that criticism you think my age has, honestly. That the story has chosen to go with that presentation IS a legitimate criticism just as it is of the Twilight series sparkly version of vampires.

As for Final Fantasy X-2, I'd argue that all female is better than all male (neither are ideal). At least then there is the fan service factor. But that being said plenty of people hated and still hate that game because of it's restricted cast.

Quote Quote:
    So you practically have no legit criticism to throw this game's way? It has all-male lead, so let's call it a boy-band? Also, that is the narrative focus. Why should they add any female character, if it doesn't fit the plot? Should they add it because it doesn't fit well with the tastes of the opposing lobby?

Should God of War HAVE a playable female character because it's a sausage fest? Should any novel or short story be called sausage fest or boy band party if the lead characters are men? Seriously? I never expected that grown individuals would throw such empty criticism when FF actually has a chance to head in a fresh new direction.

I hope to god, Tabata doesn't listen to you people and delivers this. No dev should have to keel over to meet popular demand, because that would result in the death of creativity. After X and on-wards, FF has been horrible. Hopefully, this will be a start of something decent. I am liking this new direction.
    Well it's good to know that you are willing to decided what is legitimate criticism and what's isn't for the rest us. Here I thought people get to decide for themselves.

As for why people, not just me are calling it a boy band. That would be because it looks like one. Why do you think there have been endless gifs and hilarious fanart on the subject. Such as...

Now it's not that I don't understand why they might want to go this direction. In Japan Final Fantasy has become something that sells better to female gamers than male. But it is a further deviation from the successful epic fantasy formula of Final Fantasy VI, VII & VIII; which Bravely Default followed.

If there is no room in the plot for female characters then it's a very different plot than the "Good" Final Fantasy games. That's the problem. Focusing on one gender like that tends not to lead to good things, even Tabata said as much.

I don't think you have to worry about a change in direction they are 100% committed at this point. It's not Tabata's fault either, even if he wanted to he couldn't do anything about it this far along. They just need to bite the bullet, finish it, release it and hope it can win people over. They have no choice at this point.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 03, 2014 at 11:01 AM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, for me right now it'd even be okay if they were all kappas as long as the story itself is good.
    Tiger, Tiger.

Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

EMO refers to an immature form of melodrama similar to that in the twilight series' sparkly vampires. I'm not sure bearing on that criticism you think my age has, honestly. That the story has chosen to go with that presentation IS a legitimate criticism just as it is of the Twilight series sparkly version of vampires.

As for Final Fantasy X-2, I'd argue that all female is better than all male (neither are ideal). At least then there is the fan service factor. But that being said plenty of people hated and still hate that game because of it's restricted cast.

Well it's good to know that you are willing to decided what is legitimate criticism and what's isn't for the rest us. Here I thought people get to decide for themselves.

As for why people, not just me are calling it a boy band. That would be because it looks like one. Why do you think there have been endless gifs and hilarious fanart on the subject. Such as...

Now it's not that I don't understand why they might want to go this direction. In Japan Final Fantasy has become something that sells better to female gamers than male. But it is a further deviation from the successful epic fantasy formula of Final Fantasy VI, VII & VIII; which Bravely Default followed.

If there is no room in the plot for female characters then it's a very different plot than the "Good" Final Fantasy games. That's the problem. Focusing on one gender like that tends not to lead to good things, even Tabata said as much.

I don't think you have to worry about a change in direction they are 100% committed at this point. It's not Tabata's fault either, even if he wanted to he couldn't do anything about it this far along. They just need to bite the bullet, finish it, release it and hope it can win people over. They have no choice at this point.
    Have you read Twilight? If you haven't, then it's just another invalid point on your part. An all male cast in a story means that it is legit criticism? Why do I see an irony in this? I am sorry, it is just too easy to see, as you are bringing out two completely invalid points and calling it legit criticism.

So let me get this straight, this whole criticism boils down to fan-service which has nothing to do with 1) valid criticism 2) plot value 3) themes of the story 4) game play 5) any idea they are trying to convey 6) creativity 8) writer and director's vision etc - just a few I could point out. But then again, you are using the term genuine or legit criticism for it. Is it a politically correct term for 'I didn't get any fan-service of poor excuse of characters with slutty attire'?

You have thrown ZERO legit criticism. Also, there are certain parameters to proper criticism, hence don't think you are talking to someone uneducated in this department. Your sole problem is fan-service and it's not appropriate to call this criticism. You are also throwing out stats by claiming that 'plenty of people' are hating something, when I have come across an overwhelming majority of people stating the exact opposite and supporting Nomura on his vision.

Yeah, as if I have never seen boy-bands. Thank you for opening my eyes. You still didn't answer my question; how is sausage fest or calling a group a boy band in any way legit criticism, when we know that an overwhelming amount of literature and games have male leads? Calling them wining formula solely on grounds of female cast is a poor excuse, given that Tifa's personality ended on a pair of breasts and Aries / th was such a laughable female character. Calling Rinoa in anyway a decent character should be labelled political incorrectness. In both of these games, it was the male cast that carried it forward or shouldered it. FF VIII didn't even have a good story to begin with.

What is a good final fantasy? The term good isn't synonymous with female cast. A good story-line has nothing to do with a female cast, nor is 7 somehow a benchmark for all generations of FF to come. Your so-called wining formula had three females that were practically useless to the overall plot complexity. Aries was a stock character. Replace her with an archetypal damsel in distress and you've got yourself another Aries. In fact, turn her into a transsexual. Would it matter? Nope. What was Tifa's personality that in anyway supported the plot? What was Yuffie's character that in anyway added so many layers that it would be impossible to play through a game's plot pacing without her (or Tifa and Aries)? These are questions you need to ask yourself.

This isn't Tabata's game, and whatever he's commenting doesn't matter, as many many game developers have kept the games male-centric for years. I don't get this gender equality obsession. A plot doesn't always need a female and it shouldn't be a mandatory install just because a couple of people are all depressed because they won't get to salivate over a few horrendously ill-conceived female characters. Honestly, there is no bullet to bite, when 'fan-service' is not a legitimate complain to begin with, as this is the sole complain from most complainers.
    Last edited by shahdan; October 04, 2014 at 06:14 AM.

Zero 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

If you ask me FF XV is pretty much their last chance. A game that was announced 2005 or 2006 and still hasn't been released can only be a big hit or an epic failure. Looking at the visuals, the music and the character design it looks quite cool but I don't understand why there is no female main character either.
    Then again we had a female only game with Lightning Returns.

If by chance this game will fail, SE should abandon Final Fantasy for good.

New Reply
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast