The 9 Kings
So, as the title suggests, this story is called "The 9 Kings". Why so? I'll explain a few paragraphs later, but first, I'd like to clarify a couple of things:
- My name is Elmar. This is how I look:
- I was born and raised in Estonia, therefore, I am not a native English speaker and you may notice spelling and grammar mistakes occasionally. Pointing these things out is alright, I'll appreciate it.
- I have started to plan this comics/manga two or three years ago. I was afraid to share this idea with people, because I thought that I wasn't a perfect writer/artist whatsoever. And I know that even though I've progressed a lot since back then, I still lack many thing, but I don't mind being imperfect. I believe that my future teammates will do those parts of the job, that I cannot accomplish.
- Reading like four manga/manhua series on a weekly basis, I kinda feel like I know the subject. I mean, I totally get the idea of what is popular among readers and what the top 3 or 5 shonen mangas are about. Usually they will share many things in common. Like it's almost cliche to see main characters drinking alcohol, smoking, doing sexual things etc. Also, authors tend to blur the concept of good and evil. Villains become friends and so on. Even if they were once crazy criminals, who used to murder innocent children, they still have a chance to get some sympathy from a reader. With that in mind, I feel like it's my responsibility to equalize this situation. I mean, I will specify what is good and what is bad. I will spread ideas worth spreading: like healthy lifestyle; kindness; caring about nature, siblings, relatives; to love one person and not have sex before wedding... And all those traditional matters.
- In this project of mine, the drawing style will be somewhat different from typical comics/manga. As you can see on the pictures below, it's not anime-like. But still, I'd rather prefer the term 'manga' when applied to this project. Also, I have 'discovered' that many popular mangakas are somewhat disrespectful towards old people. I want to change that too, you know! Like, it's already decided that characters with grey hair will be among top strongest in my manga and won't be defeated easily (as it happened in Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Toriko, Hunter X Hunter).
- One other thing that I intend to influence is the popular idea, that you only become number one if you are 'the chosen one', blessed from above, have a special bloodline or granted with some unique weapon... But what will a reader/viewer learn from that? That success is an act of fortune, not the result of work you put into achieving your goals. I personally don't want to spread this bullshit.
- And lastly, it is going to be shonen. Mostly. Like supernatural powers and skills, some individuals being able to destroy planets (please don't freak out, only few will reach this level). So expect something really interesting, not only in terms of spectacularity, but in terms of thought-provoking and touching episodes as well.
It all started many hundreds of thousands of years ago on Earth (which, as you may know, is also known as Midgard in Norse mythology and that was the term they used back then). At that time, people lived calmly, peacefully, not a single war or epidemic was going on. People of that time achieved a symbiotic state in which they were friendly to mother nature and it blessed every human being with perfect health and best conditions for easy life in response. People could use telepathy, telekinesis, levitation and many other superhuman abilities naturally.
But then a certain incident happened... Hmm, say, a couple of enormously gigantic meteorites were about to destroy the planet! The elders of many nations had gathered together in order to find the most expedient solution. The spaceships could only take few millions in total, whereas Midgard had like many billions of human inhabitants. They have decided to fill the ships with those who possessed better qualities and abilities. So, the planet was destroyed and all living creatures had turned to ashes. It may seem that those elders made a cruel and immoral decision, but they had no other choice, really.
Then the long journey began. They have flown across thousands of potentially suitable for life planets, but nothing particularly good was on the horizon. Finally, when almost everybody lost their hope, one planet 'miraculously' appeared before them. It was huge, several times larger than good old Earth. But still, it was green and similar to Midgard in many aspects. And so they landed. They gave it the name - Swargard.
Swargard wasn't welcoming them. Even though the life flourished on this planet - there were trees, water, all sorts of plants and animals and the atmosphere was full of oxygen - people could barely endure the powerful energy and dangerous enviroment of Swargard. Like, volcanic eruptions of power never seen before; seas, lakes and oceans of many kilometers deep and mountains up to 80-100 km high or so... Temperatures of -100°C to 300°C or whatever. Rivers flowing with enormous force! Some places having extreme gravity levels and different kinds of other abnormalities. Also, there are dozens of exceptionally dangerous creatures and plants on Swargard. All in all, enviroment is very unsafe and life-threatening.
It took many years of struggling, fighting and adapting for earthlings to finally become able to withstand this planet's unique enviroment. And then, many millenniums after, people became much stronger and more durable. They have developed all kinds of God-like techniques to counter the enviroment and the beasts. On this planet there was a certain spot, a calm territory as compared to any place outside of it. Of course, people quickly realized that they needed to conquer this land and build a strong defense around it. And they did exactly that.
There were many nations and little territory to live on. That fact brought war upon once peacuful humankind. At some point of time, nine people were born (one on each of the continents). They felt strong intention within their souls to rule over the continents of the Swargard and bring peace to the humanity. Ancient spirits and even Gods themselves helped them to become powerful and wise.
With their vast strength these nine Kings were second to none... Only some beasts could dare to pick up a fight with them and still they would experience inevitable defeat each time. Every 8000 years (approx.) a new generation of Kings appears and the previous generation leaves... But one day, due to a well-planned sabotage operation, the Kings have vanished.
For three long centuries wars, conflicts and disasters were taking place... And suddenly, a group of many strong people stopped it all. They declared themselves the successors of the Kings, but soon enough they made the majority of Swargard citizens forget about the Kings and stuff like that. Slowly, memories of ancient times faded away and people became weaker... In terms of everything, basically... So, this group of so called Kings' substitutes started to call themselves the Elite. They were looked upon as living Gods... They were feared by some, and praised by others. The Elite had established the new world order in which there was little place for such things as supernatural powers, good health or even good intellect. It's like they kept it all for personal use...
So generally speaking, the situation was unfair. People were suffering, even though the majority couldn't even realize that they were 'suffering'. They lived their poor lives, but noone ever told them there was something greater and better than that. It looked totally normal to everyone. But not for those nine individuals, that are born each 8000 years, of course. Sure there were others who knew exactly what was going on and they were doing their best to change the situation, but before these nine people appeared, there were practically noone who would dare to openly oppose the Elite.
As these young Kings grew, they worked hard to become strong. It was their passion. They felt intuitively that some day their power will be of a great help to the world. So they kept on evolving in their own manner and, one day, something extraordinary occurred...
And then the first chapter begins...
What/who I need:
- A skilled artist, who is willing to volunteer (preferably from a kickstarter approved country).
- A scriptwriter, to make text bubbles sound sexy (preferably from a kickstarter approved country).
My brief plan:
- Create a chapter.
- Start a kickstarter campaign.
I'd like my (our) manga to look something like this (drawings inspired by Feng Shen Ji manhua):
Last edited by Pea; August 09, 2015 at 06:43 PM.