Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (8/10/15 - 8/23/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 639 by cnet128 , Gintama 555 (2) , One Piece 796 by cnet128

View Poll Results: This movie will...

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • be great!

2 16.67%
  • be good, but not as good as the manga

3 25.00%
  • be mediocre and forgettable

4 33.33%
  • suck!

3 25.00%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attack on Titan - Live-action movie

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Attack on Titan - Live-action movie

I haven't seen any thread about that movie, so I thought I would create one.
    If there's already one, I guess it will get merged with it.

The english trailer is out for those who haven't seen it yet:
    http://9gag.com/tv/p/aVeDRY/attack-o...ler-3?ref=fbl9

I think it looks great, but I'm sure every hardcore fan will be disappointed by the movie for several reason.

1. Who the fuck is Shikishima? Why not Levi?
    2. Where is Annie? She's like... really important to the plot if they want to follow the first "arc" of the manga.
    3. Same question : Where are Bertholt and Reiner?
    4. Why the heck isn't Armin blond?
    5. Eren and Mikasa kissing? I get that it's a movie and that romance sells, but still...
    Last edited by THM Nindo; July 17, 2015 at 12:32 PM.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attack on Titan - Live-action movie

Japanese movie, Japanese actors. It's interesting they changed the characters and names but otherwise I'm not particularly worried about that. It looks like rather than reflecting the canon storyline, they're going for an alternate universe type thing. From what I can tell so far, the overall SNK "feel" is intended to be the same even if there's been a character change-up and it's likely to diverge greatly from the canon storyline.

So this movie is going to be a standalone/alternate universe type thing, from what I can tell. As for me, I still intend to watch it when I can. In order to give it a fair shake, I won't be expecting it to be true to anything more than the essence of the manga-- including the actual nature of characters that were retained from the original story, and original story *themes*. Now that being said, the final line of the trailer worries me. It takes Mikasa's line from the manga about the world being cruel, and adds on that it's also beautiful. Was that in the original story? I don't remember it being there, but I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong. That tweaking of the "cruel world" theme bothers me. Eren and Mikasa possibly kissing is only going to bug me if it isn't handled well (same as with plot changes), but with that theme being reworked, I'm concerned it won't be. :/

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Just came across a description of the movie from someone who was at the premiere:
    http://fuku-shuu.tumblr.com/post/124...on-film-part-1

I haven't decided if I want to read it yet, but above the cut there's some final confirmation it's an alternate universe.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

it doesn't really care much about the manga and anime's plots, from this review I've read ( http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/revi...n-movie/.90469 ):

"Right from the start, the movie divorces itself from the source material's theme and tone as hard as it possibly can. It takes place in the future of our world, with remnants of warplanes and weaponry peppered across the countryside. Its great walls were built by human hands, and even though they live in repurposed ruins, the people seem very happy. (The manga most often refers to its world as a crowded cistern, but this movie contains the line: "Even paradise seems like a prison when you can see its walls.") Most importantly, our story's hero dreams of taking back the outside world in a completely different way. Instead of warning people against complacency and chomping at the bit to fight an enemy like in the comics, this Eren kicks at dead shells of old warheads while denying that Titans even exist, except as a fairytale made to keep people away from the world they deserve. The original version of Eren was brave and prescient, but immature in his ambitions. This movie's Eren is a starry-eyed fool dying to throw open the lid to Pandora's box. It's that subtle difference between the lead in a fantasy movie and the lead in a horror film. Of course, it's only once the Titans bust into town that the movie delivers on its genre shift with jaw-dropping results."

Sounds pretty good to me. this story is not fit for a movie or even a tv show as it has been told so far

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eigengrau's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by requiem46 View Post
    it doesn't really care much about the manga and anime's plots, from this review I've read ( http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/revi...n-movie/.90469 ):

"Right from the start, the movie divorces itself from the source material's theme and tone as hard as it possibly can. It takes place in the future of our world, with remnants of warplanes and weaponry peppered across the countryside. Its great walls were built by human hands, and even though they live in repurposed ruins, the people seem very happy. (The manga most often refers to its world as a crowded cistern, but this movie contains the line: "Even paradise seems like a prison when you can see its walls.") Most importantly, our story's hero dreams of taking back the outside world in a completely different way. Instead of warning people against complacency and chomping at the bit to fight an enemy like in the comics, this Eren kicks at dead shells of old warheads while denying that Titans even exist, except as a fairytale made to keep people away from the world they deserve. The original version of Eren was brave and prescient, but immature in his ambitions. This movie's Eren is a starry-eyed fool dying to throw open the lid to Pandora's box. It's that subtle difference between the lead in a fantasy movie and the lead in a horror film. Of course, it's only once the Titans bust into town that the movie delivers on its genre shift with jaw-dropping results."

Sounds pretty good to me. this story is not fit for a movie or even a tv show as it has been told so far
    Lol, pretty sure they said there was going to be a live-action TV Show as well, that will bridge the gap between the two live-action films.

But yeah, that quote seems to be spot-on.

I don't know why they would change the story that much, the setting, the characters' names... I mean, don't they know by now how successful the manga/anime is by itself? They could've gone with a simple and straightforward adaptation even though that wouldn't bring anything "new" to the table, but it would still be a success among fans, I guess.

They'd rather have that instead of a "bastardization".

And like I said on some other thread, the Titans just look like actors doing funny faces. They're not menacing in the least, I wish - this time - they could've sticked to just CGI effects.

Am I still going to watch this movie? Definitely, because well, it's AoT related, and it should be good to pass the time.
    Is it going to be successful? Money-wise? Yeah, sure, but definitely not a favorite among fans.

Was Isayama Hajime involved at all with this movie? Unless he has a reason for certain changes, I just can't stomach some of the things I've seen.

I mean, for example, we all know the importance of the 3dmg, how it can save lives, slay Titans, and how it's somewhat Humanity's only weapon (excluding Titan shifters, naturally) and means to fight in this world.

And now you give them RPG launchers? I don't get this, I really don't. The author goes through all that trouble to create a unique world, from its geographical setting to the social and economic gaps between the citizens, and how everyone lives/survives.

It seems as if they sat down with the original story, and then said:

"Ok, now how can we make this more flashy, and gory? Maybe if we turn this into a post-apocalypse story of some sort... World in ruins after Titan Apocalypse... Yeah!- "

To be completely honest, I don't think I ever was "excited" or looking forward to this adaptation. It can/could never beat the manga/anime, the fact that the anime follows the canon story and has much more believable acting and raw emotion to it.

They should've pooled the ressources used for this movie for something else, like maybe turning the light novels into OVAs. It's the sort of thing that not only contributes to the bigger story, it could also hype the fans for what's coming :P.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Just want to say first that if you're looking forward to this movie and don't want to see someone express their disappointment then please go ahead and skip this post. I'm just expressing my honest feelings here since that's what this thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceJasmin View Post
    It's okay Kannazuki, Mikasa does say that in the manga and anime so it's original As for the Live-movie i will only watch the fighting parts which is like the best scenes and that's it.
    Thank you for confirming that part at least. Problem for me though is that I wanted to watch it for the SNK feel (which for me is mainly about themes and character integrity, and not fights or special effects-- and I'm not knocking people being into fights/fx by the way! Just saying it's not my thing). This clearly isn't going to have that feel to it at all.

It could very well be a decent film on its own merits. It's just going to eat at me that I'm watching characters named Eren and Mikasa (and so on) who don't act like the Eren or Mikasa that I know, and that the themes have been completely subverted and replaced with something new.

Quote Originally Posted by requiem46 View Post
    I have to disagree with you on the suitability of the original story for adaptation. SNK's tone (and some of its graphic content, such as kids capable of killing people) runs counter to the usual "uplifting" feel we get from most action movies, but that doesn't automatically mean it can't be made with its sense of grimness/fighting the odds intact (even if they have to cut out some extremes). You can also be grim and yet still have a happy ending.

---------- Post added August 01, 2015 at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was July 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    Just came across a description of the movie from someone who was at the premiere:
    http://fuku-shuu.tumblr.com/post/124...on-film-part-1

I haven't decided if I want to read it yet, but above the cut there's some final confirmation it's an alternate universe.
    So I finally read this. It's in point form, and fairly short. For those to whom it matters, it appears the kiss in the trailer isn't with Eren.
    Spoiler: Just based on the impressions what I read there... show

The original characters apparently get along more or less like in canon
    Spoiler: except... show

Still not sure I get the choices they've made regarding theme and characterization, but I might still see it yet.
    Last edited by kannazuki; August 01, 2015 at 07:44 PM.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Another review (SPOILERS, obviously!);

"The first Attack on Titan movie stinks"
    http://kotaku.com/the-first-attack-o...nks-1721708870

And to quote the first comment:

Quote Quote:
    Was anyone surprised? Of course this was going to be shit

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting review. It starts out promising, but then unfortunately goes the "My impressions as a Westerner" route, and those impressions are completely divorced from the outlook Japanese people would actually have. Of all the likely sins of this movie, I don't think nazi symbolism is one of them. All sorts of people in Japan wear armbands as part of their uniform or to designate an important role they are playing. Vertical banners have also been used both historically and are still widely used in modern-day Japan. Have you ever seen a Japanese high school cultural festival, in which different classes compete before the judges (and their parents)? Typically they're going to have many colours of vertical banners going on to identify each class, and red will be among them. This reviewer makes no case for why widespread aspects of Japanese culture that have nothing to do with the West suddenly have to have been borrowed from Germany, or why anyone in Japan would even see it that way. It reminds me of Westerners seeing the symbol for a Buddhist temple on a Japanese map and thinking of a nazi swastika; something the nazis stole from Asia and corrupted to suit their own purposes.

This movie looks heavily flawed but I don't think they Godwin'd the MP.
    Last edited by kannazuki; August 03, 2015 at 10:18 AM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Bonefist's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just seen the film, so I'm going to "spoil" a little...

It was horrible, even not entertaining. Characters are empty and boring, Eren is not Eren, Armin has two lines, and Mikasa, let's not talk about her.

The pace is slow, you don't care who dies, and you can't feel the tragedy. In the manga, you can feel a small tragedy, but in the film, nothing. Putting guns and armored vehicles was useless, and even with that, with the strategy to break the high part of the breached wall to lock it, flying vehicles would have been a little more useful here, but no, they don't have the right to produce them... =B

Most of the time, special effects are good. Oh, and in the beginning, when the Colossal Titan hits the wall, you can laugh with actors overplaying their fall, or the meteorites falling on the city. And yes, while Titans are eating the Guards, the protagonists watch peacefully the scene. Logic. And there is even a scene of boobs groping.

Finally, putting R'n'B at the end was awful.

I think it's all. But wait, a second film is coming. I don't want to waste one hour and a half again.
    Last edited by Bonefist; August 16, 2015 at 06:10 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that apple guy supposed to be a Levi replacement?Coz I noticed the resemblance in their standing postures..Also,is it just me or did he carry an apple to the battlefield?Not cool.Sloppy eater and sloppily bites his apple.
    Anyway, completed the movie a while back and it seems to deviate a lot from the original plot. The storyline seems similar but the way things are carried out are much different and the characters seem to have been modified a lot.
    Too bad to see that there was much room for improvement in this movie that wasn't entirely used.They tried hard in making this yes,and from what I recall was an interview of the director of this movie,it was mentioned that Hajime himself suggested many of the changes.Regardless,I feel like many things could have been polished before making the movie,into something more appealing and overall better fitting.Now,am gonna critic mode here,please bear with me,but from what I see they downright butchered most of the thing AoT stood for.

For one,here goes my rant - Mikasa.Mikasa is,in a way,Attack on Titan for me.This movie,picked apart her character bit by bit,and then did this horrible job at putting it back together.For one,why on earth is she wearing Eren's scarf?Moreover why,when she is probably being compromised by this Shikishima guy and has never even been supported by Eren in the first place?She isn't emotionally compromised, gdi, leave that to Reiner!Horrible joke if this was to make up for lack of Reiner's character. Bottom line - I cannot care much about this character of Mikasa. She doesn't have be the exact character from the Anime considering how much the plot was changed in this movie,but I cannot say I see this Mikasa being well written,and neither do I feel it leaving an impact even close to what Mikasa's original character left on I.She doesn't really give off this stoic feeling that Mikasa originally did,but I'm fine with that.Most characters felt compromised anyway.

Secondly.And this is completely absurd.Levi.
    The sole reason the left out levi's character was due to his name being 'Levi',as it isn't a name popular in Japan.That was precisely the reason if I recall it right.Sure,many people loved his character with him being downright,the single most popular SnK character out of the pack.Understandable they left out his character due to confusion among the Japanese audience.Not understandable - Shikishima apple vendor.Ffs,this is a guy who seems to be a part time apple biter,and part time pervert.Nothing like Levi's character,which is fine,but furthermore,not really the idealistic 'humanity's strongest' that one would be inspired by.Or at least,not one that I would look forward to.I can still see nightmares of this guy's wonderful tutoring - Dialogues like , 'Fly right into the enemy'
    *Eren flies right into the enemy*
    *Eren loses a leg*
    *Eren crash lands*
    Final words from Shikishima - ' Well,Sometimes we are unlucky'.
    *Heroically walks away*.
    Anyway,I am going to stop here coz I don't feel it's worth typing out a page long post on him.

Thirdly - Dat titan transformation tho.
    Yes, that titan transformation was cool. Eren's titan didn't look all that bad.But here's the highlight of the scene. Everyone knows the titan is Eren the moment they see him. For one, no one questions a deviant titan being there. Instead, everyone is overjoyed since they found an ally who they wholeheartedly believe is an ally up until the moment it attacks Mikasa. Except here's a plot twist - He doesn't even punch the place where Mikasa is standing! Absurdly so, when he went all out Annie mode a while back displaying world shattering combat tactics on the titans running around, including those of throwing punches and kicks with pinpoint accuracy to blow titans heads off. Besides those facts - Everyone somehow seems to knows Eren is comfortably residing at the back of the titan's neck and are apparently geniuses at it when it comes to rescuing a shifter from his own body. Goes over the head? Well,not theirs. Judging by their actons, these guys been knowing shifters even before the shifters came into existence themselves. Moreover the way this is carried out is utmost bullshit and requires prefetched knowledge which these guys apparently gained on the spot, right when they saw the shifter. Co-incidence? I'd rather call it poor writing, and the simple fact that they tried to squeeze this scene short to cut down on screening time, went to make this only more absurd than it already was.

Eren dies,Mikasa cries.
    Bull-Shit!
    Firstly,these two do not share a common home in their childhood. Eren is someone who lost his parents even before the movie started and has been running hopeless, being fired from jobs left and right. Mikasa in contrast is someone who had a rather easy childhood, who holds a big smile on her face, and in joy jumps left and right. Any guesses who turns out to be an emo out of the two? Mikasa.
    Following the above, these two were in no way, supported by each other. Mikasa probably never followed Eren in saving Armin from bullies as a child, and Eren in return never housed Mikasa in her childhood. Hell, kid was struggling to keep a roof under his own head all this while! There is apparently no reason for Mikasa to have fallen apart upon hearing of Eren's death from Armin. Moreover, she had zero reasons to cry it out upon hearing of Eren's death as her devotion to Eren in this movie is absolutely, not justified. Unless of course she was crack in the head or there was some teenage romance running between two ten year olds in their childhood.

Jean's character. Okay,now this is going to be a short one. Lets just say they picked up another one of the best characters in Aot, and instead of picking it apart, fed it to an obese kid. This obese kid inherited Jean's character as a result and now walks around as Jean bullying any child be it named Armin or Eren. There was one part of Jean's character they did get right though and that was his cockiness. Though he clearly wasn't a classroom bully and rather, had a sole rivalry with Eren. In this movie though, he seems to pick a fight with pretty much everyone who opposes him and it's just that Eren has opposed him twice so far.

There were many dumb things in the movie. Some of them so impractical that they wouldn't in fact be used in an Anime either. First of them being plot power.
    Instance of plot power - Swords slice through titan, the way a knife slides thorough butter. Then comes this titan who neither Swords can slice through nor arrows or axes. Why? Coz plot power. Abnormal or not,this was the titan that consumed Eren before he became a shifter, the sole reason they couldn't kill it off as they had to display Eren transforming out of the titan first. The way they went about it - they made it impenetrable to any means of attack from humans, upto the point Eren spout from within.

Instance of idiocy. Sasha using bow an arrows as primary weapon to attack titans. Ironically right after a flashback where Hange mentions guns being an impractical means of weaponry what with the nape of titan's necks being an area hard to be aimed on by projectiles.

Instance of thief. Dat thief..

Instance of Hange being the rookie she never was. Come on already, you guys wanna make Shikishima OP? Fine. Mikasa OP? Fine. Hanje worthless? Hell no. For one we got to see Hanje being the crazy scientist, albeit poorly pulled off, fine. But not a single kill? Being paired together with the hopeless bunch, being given the position of a squad leader ffs, and not a single kill. Now I don't really expect her to go out there and get all the day's kills coz I just don't see that as her character, but yes. I did expect them to make a squad leader more worthwhile than this in combat for once that we saw her. This was one of the most disappointing moments in the movie for I as I was eagerly waiting for her to do something worthwhile, and as that never happened. It was saddening to see her being paired with the rest of the pack, what with the position of a squad leader yet remaining a sitting duck the entire time. I don't even know what to make of her character at this point. It's not like she displayed any instances of extraordinary intelligence either.

I really didn't hope for any of the characters to have been their Anime counterparts here. The plot had been changed to a great instance to fit the movie and such, so were the characters. What pains after all that though, now , is that even though the characters weren't their Anime counterparts, they weren't well written either. In all reality if there is one legit good character that I can recall from the movie, then it is Armin. Armin was a legit character who actually seemed to be realistic, ideal, and one who displayed his skill - Namely intelligence - in a non exaggerative manner. Amazing characters are what make a huge percentage of what Shingeki no Kyojin is, and is one of the reasons people follow this series. One of the reasons I follow this series. There's not a single character I can call being legitimately poorly written, and that is the beauty of Attack on Titan. Every character has been put a lot of effort in it and Isayama really know how to get his characters right. This movie was something that downright crushed that aspect of AoT.
    The movie wasn't entirely bad however. There were a few good parts as well, the titans being the first of them. The Titans were amazingly displayed in the movie. They seemed hunger driven, gave about this feeling of despair, and bought along just the disaster one would expect them to. Just the way it needs to be. This was something that could not have been done better.
    Apart from the that, there were a few other things worth mentioning that I feel the movie pulled of really well. Sasha's character during her first appearance. Lol,this was hands down one of the best part of the movie! That intimidating Sasha was incredibly funny and totally unexpected XD. They went a bit overboard with her hunger issues in the later parts of the movie though, and that placed her back into the boring character section sooner than expected.
    Another one of the aspects that I was really satisfied with was the amount of censoring they put in. The version I watched (Was the one on Kissasian.com iirc), had zero censoring to it and displayed blood just the way the producers expected it to. There wasn't much to censor in the steamy scenes as the characters hands did it more often than needed lol, but it was anyway a really satisfying experience to watch a show with so much of realistic gore and not having censorship spoil the fun of it.
    Honestly, these are a few good scenes of the movie that I can recall. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything thus far as there probably weren't anymore.
    Bottom line, the show was mostly bad with a few exceptional good. The exceptional good isn't worth considering though as the mostly bad almost completely overshadows it. But go ahead and watch it anyway as this review may have already piqued your curiosity onto how bad this show sucks. So bad in fact that you'd have to watch it for yourself.
    Last edited by Haze; August 16, 2015 at 04:28 PM.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    Basically, the writers, directors, and Isayama himself did to this "adaptation" what the Titans do to humans.

Good job, everyone.

And I think I read somewhere that Isayama and the directors wanted to "know" why it was being so criticized, and were reading both positive and negative feedback. If someone has his number or his email (or his editor's), gimme, so I can have a long chat with him, but I hope they aren't that dense.

Everyone wanted to see Attack on Titan, not Attack on Titan: Alternate Universe nº?, can't they get that through their thick skulls?

This would've been oh so much more successful if they sticked to the same bloody story and added a nice twist to certain things, like visuals and important plot points.

I haven't watched the movie yet (but will very soon, sometime this week), but someone please tell me right now; there is no Armored Titan scene when the Colossal Titan appears for the first time, right? There's ONE scene where they could've done something extremely awesome, only deviating slightly from the source material.

That's the kind of stuff they should do with these adaptations, EXPLORE, not CHANGE.

Seriously.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

The Armour titan has been completely left out and the Colossal titan breaks open a part of the wall rather than the gate in this. Furthermore the walls aren't the same in the movie and neither are the walls concentric circles. Instead, their structure is more of something you would find in tower defense games if you have played any of those.
    I was okay with the movie being an alternate universe of SnK. That aspect didn't hurt the least bit in fact, but what did are the things I have listed in my review above. The weakest point of this movie were the characters imo. Eigengrau go ahead the watch the movie to get a feel of it. Every character was bland, lacked depth, and wasn't paid attention to when being written in. Another aspect that sucked hard was that these guys included half assed scenes from the Anime amidst the cesspool of events that they didn't time right. For example, Eren punching Mikasa was something that happened in the battle of trost, though here it happens during his first transformation. This was something that didn't even need to be done and seemed plain absurd to have been included. There are quite a few scenes like that that were included to maybe give out the feel of the Anime but if they really were going for something different then I feel the show could have done much better with a completely different universe, with no connections to the Anime altogether. The movie could have had been polished and made into a real masterpiece if they had put actual effort into it. The pacing as well was something that left back a bitter taste in the mouth. Things were rushed for no reason and could have been done better if this was split into 2 movies instead. Huge parts were entirely skipped to give a feel of progress, the characters barely had any backstory to them except Eren and Armin maybe, and a few new characters were added in order to make up for the lack of 104th trainees who were no different from what I mention. From what I see, this movie was nothing but a last minute negotiation to milk Attack on Titan further.
    Last edited by Haze; August 17, 2015 at 02:05 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched it.
    Honestly, if you compare it to the original material, this movie is crap.

If you take for what it is, ignoring the orginal material, it's not that bad.
    It's not good, but it's somewhat entertaining. Enough so, that I'll watch the second movie.

The worst thing for me was the music during the dub bomb a the beginning of the movie.
    Please, fire the guy that was in charge of that music.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay I have mixed feelings with this movie. I really regret when I visited this thread before watching it.. goddamit.
    Anyway as I have said, I have mixed feelings throughout the movie.

First I think the movie is a "so-so". It wasn't good, nor bad. If you are a hardcore fan of this series, you would say this movie is a crap. If you are among those who just want to watch because of the trend, I think you would say this is good. I have no objections when I heard it would be some kind of an alternate universe SNK. Still the whole plot managed to stick to what it canon, at some parts tho. But I agree that the fans wanted to see a live-action Attack on Titan, which is, the ones that we learned, we read, we watched, and we know from the manga. This is a different approach for the whole SNK franchise, but an utter failed approach as I should say.

About the movie, well I have no problem with Eren. He's still as stubborn as ever, but he's utterly useless throughout the whole movie except the last few parts. Very unlikely of him if you compare on what with in the manga. As for Armin, well I appreciate for him to be some kind of a techie, at least he retains that nerdy side of him, although his character in this movie is almost like a shadow in the background. In short, he didn't have that shining moment from the original plot. Mikasa, oh Mikasa. I admit I am happy when I learned that EreMika pairing is canon in this movie, but her character here really sucks. Don't ask why. I still prefer that headstrong and cold Mikasa, not this one.. Jean is... no I just want to punch him. There are also other characters that seemed to got a good role in this movie, and those are the two love birds from 104th Squad (kinda forgot their original names).

What I found upsetting in this movie is Levi's supposedly alternate character: Shikishima, and that freaking thief, and that almost pron scene that is NOT really necessary! When I first saw that scene, I was like "What the fuck why is that even in this movie?" Then what happens next is really hilarious. Really

I think the characters that stick to what is in the original story is Hans/Hange/Hanji (whatever the spelling is) and Sasha. And I must say, Sasha is a more notable one. Even if she's an obvious glutton, she's not useless at all. Her character in this movie, although minor and no background story, she redeemed herself by using her skills.

All in all, this movie is not that great nor bad at all. There are lots of things and characters missing: Annie, Bert, Reiner, Ymir... I guess the one that had a crush on Eren in this story is supposedly Historia. There are lots of things skipped. There are lots of elements that had been removed. The movie feels like it feeds on the EreMika and LeviMika shippers IMO... But even so, I would still be eager to watch the part 2

EDIT: I've just finished reading Haze's post. LOL we have the same thoughts about the movie.
    Last edited by AlphaIkaros; August 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM.

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame, if they did pull away from the source material as much as they did because they failed to realize why DB evolution failed. The characters are only a small portion of what makes a story work, it's the story itself that brings those characters to life and when you change the story of their lives it completely changes the characters as hard as they try to make them the same it doesn't work because they are no longer the characters of the STORY you fell in love with not the characters, the characters are only loved because of the story not the otherway around.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast