This is a thread where we can list famous mangaka and their assistants who made a name for themselves in their own right. It would be interesting to discuss any similarities between the teacher & disciple as well.
Afterwards when we have a number of mangaka from all demographics and magazines, we can compile them visually like a tree graph. ~Coffee~ has volunteered to help with the visuals, but we're probably going to have more than one chart (one for every magazine?) so any graphic savvy member is free to help. It'll be greatly appreciated.
Here's what I could think at the top of my head; they are all from Weekly Shonen Jump. I'm sure you could think of more!
- Adachi Mitsuru (Touch, H2, Cross Game) → Nakahara Yuu (Last Inning) + Tanabe Yellow (Kekkaishi)
- Akimoto Osamu → Takaiwa Yoshihiro + Tomisawa Chinatsu + Aro Hiroshi
+ Azuma Naoki + Usune Masatoshi
- Amano Akira (Katekyo Hitman Reborn) → Aimoto Shou (Hokenshitsu no Shinigami)+ Sakaki Kenji (Enigma)
- Araki Hirohiko (Jojo Bizarre Adventure) → Onikubo Hirohisa (Heat Island) + Naka Masato + Makino Yasuhiro (Akibakei Net Idol Project) + Sanbe Kei (Mouryou no Yurikago) + Tanaka Yasuki (Kagijin) + Shinkai Hideo (Light Wing) + Shiibashi Hiroshi (Nurarihyon no Mago) → Hidano Kentarou (Chrono Mansion) + Yokota Takuma (Tensei Henshin DX Dragon Shaft) + Yoshimura Kana （Our Tube) + N + Senda Hiroyuki + Koshikuba Meori
- Hara Tetsuo (Hokuto no Ken) → Morita Masanori (Rokudenashi Blues - Rookies)
- Iwashiro Toshiaki (Psyren) → Tamura Ryuuhei (Beelzebub)
- Kawashita Mizuki (Ichigo 100%) → Hoshino Katsura (D.Gray-man) → Akatsuki Akira (Medaka Box)
- Mashima Hiro (Rave, Fairy Tail) → Yoshikawa Miki (Yanki-kun to Megane-chan) + Mikuni Shin (Spray King)
- Murata Yuusuke (Eyeshield 21) + Yabuki Kentarou (Black Cat)
- Nobuyuki Anzai(Flame of Recca) → Makoto Raikou(Gash Bell)
- Obata Takeshi (Hikaru no Go, Death Note, Bakuman) → Watsuki Nobuhiro (Rurouni Kenshin) +
- Shinobu Kaitani (Suizan Police Gang) + Masaya Tokuhiro (Jungle King Tar-chan) + Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin) → Oda Eiichiro (ONE PIECE) → Eijiri Tatsuya (World 4U)
- Sorachi Hideaki (Gintama) → Amano Youichi (Akaboshi - Ibun Suikoden) + Shinohara Kenta (SKET DANCE)
- Tanaka Yasuki (idem) → Miyokawa Masaru (Foo Fighter Fuji) + Neda Hirofumi (Shinikake Senshi! Soushinman) + Horikoshi Kouhei (Oumagadoki Doubutsuen)
- Togashi Yoshihiro (Yu Yu Hakusho - Hunter X Hunter) → Sawai Yoshio (Bobobōbo Bōbobo) + Takeuchi Naoko (Sailor Moon)
- Hojo Tsukasa (City Hunter) → Inoue Takehiko (Vagabond)
- Miura Kentaro (Berserk) → Mitsuhiku Kyuji (Ookami no Kuchi: Wolfsmund)
- Miyake Ranjou (Imuri) → Yamazaki Mari (Thermae Romae)
- Makoto Yukimura (Vinland Saga) → Kumagai Haito Haito + Suzuki Kazouki + Takami Tomoyuki + Watanabe Paiju
- Usune Masatoshi → Togashi Hideaki + Takeuchi Naoko
- Mochizuki Akira (Sign wa V!) → Murakami Motoka (Jin) + Ikezawa Satoshi (The Circuit Wolf) → Miyama Noboru (Requiem) → Yamada Takatoshi (Dr. Koto Shinryoujo) → Moto Souichi (Mugen no Gunkan Yamato) + Kuromaru (Kurosagi) + Takemura Yuuji (Kaze no Kishi Shou) → Togami Shin (Tamafuri) + Wakaki Tamiki (Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai) → Hirai Tomoko + Saitou Satsuki + Kojima Takeshi (Dragon Jockey) + Nakanishi Hiroshi + Morita Shigeru (Makai Gaikoukan) + Gotou Masaki (Kannuki Makoto no Mahoutsukai Shinansho) + Kanno Takanori (Crimsons -Akai Koukaisha-tachi-) + Kawanaka Yasushi (Sado-hime no Basuke) + Yamada Kento
Last edited by Asarii; March 11, 2011 at 01:36 AM.
Makoto Yukimura's assistants: Haito Kumagai, Kazouki Suzuki, Tomoyuki Takami, Paiju Watanabe
According to a introduction of them in Volume 3 (that was in 2006). I don't know any works of them though.
Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 15, 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Obata Takeshi (Hikaru no Go, Death Note, Bakuman) → Watsuki Nobuhiro (Rurouni Kenshin) + Murata Yuusuke (Eyeshield 21) + Yabuki Kentarou (Black Cat)
Also, I don't know about similarities, but it's cute to see either the ex-assistant paying homage to their ex-boss (?) or vice versa For example, after Oda got serialized with One Piece, Watsuki added a little homage to his ex-assistant by having a Strawhat logo on the bomb used by a certain character in the Jinchuu arc
Last edited by saladesu; February 16, 2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: added notable works
You might have to tell me what the + and -> 's mean... T_T
Coffee, are you going to make the "tree"?
Last edited by Asarii; February 15, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
The plus sign is used when a mangaka has one or more assistants. "Obata Takehi's assistants are Watsuki Nobuhiro and Murata Yuusuke and Yabuki Kentaro".
I quoted Bugzee's post for you since a word long post isn't encouraged. I'll be lenient here but a reminder for next time!
Last edited by Asarii; February 15, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
So this is like a mangaka "Family Tree"?
Yeah I know it is about mangaka and their students it just reminded me of a family tree, or rather a tree of knowledge.
Anyway I want to help out, what should I do?
Family tree sounds about right! You can always check entries for your favorite mangaka at mangaupdates. They don't have for everyone but will have links to a mangaka's assistants and teachers, if the information is known. I don't really know anywhere else to look.
Adachi Mitsuru (Touch, H2, Cross Game) → Nakahara Yuu (Last Inning) + Tanabe Yellow (Kekkaishi)
I will try to find some sites but they will be Japanese I hope someone can translate them though.^^
Last edited by Asarii; February 15, 2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
I know that Bakuman romanticizes the bond between mangaka and assistant, but, I just think these kind of links are really awesome. I'd like to think that the mangaka encouraged their assistants to pursue their dreams and become full-fledged artists of their own.
Tsukasa Hojo (City Hunter) -> Takehiko Inoue (Vagabond)
Mizuki Kawashita (Ichigo100%)-> Hoshino Katsura (D.gray.man)
If a tree is made, a small image of their iconic work can be put in as well (example: Inoue (Slam Dunk)). For fun.