Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (7/6/15 - 7/26/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 636 by cnet128 , Gintama 552 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Game

Repenting Smut Peddler MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Fighting Game

I was kind of hesitant to start this thread, mainly because fighting game is a niche community and rarely discussed, but considering that there are some “new” fighting games that are going to be released in the next few years, I am hoping that this thread would attract people who are interested in learning or discussing all things related to fighting games. The FAQs and information that are written below are intended to cover some basic aspects that beginner of fighting games tend to get confused with, and although I am not even remotely far from being an expert in playing fighting games - I am just a casual player most of the time - would like to share.

FAQs

Q: Why should I play fighting games?
    A : My personal reason to play fighting game is because it is fun and intense, simultaneously. Fighting game requires some (if not a lot) dedication to get good at and it takes quite some time for people until they can actually enjoy the game. However, once you feel comfortable with it and have solid understanding of the game, it becomes one of the most satisfying competitive games to be played, at least for me personally.

Q : But I can only mash buttons, why should I care about these complex stuff?
    A : I understand that fighting game is not for everybody. If it is not for you, then there is no reason for you to learn the technical aspect of fighting games. Nevertheless, understanding how one particular fighting game works would improve your skill level quite significantly, if you are interested in getting better at it. Otherwise, there is no need for you to learn these crazy lingo about fighting games.

Q : Now I am interested in fighting games. Recommend me a good fighting game that I should play!
    A : Whoa, calm down. Actually, determining which fighting game is the most suitable for you is kind of difficult, unless you try it one by one. However, I for one, would recommend you to get Street Fighter IV simply because it is the most popular fighting game competitively, thus there are plenty of materials or match footages to learn from. However, if you are growing up with Tekken and love it, then play Tekken.

If you are interested in fighting games with complex mechanics, then play The King of Fighters. If you like bishoujos, try Skullgirls! Of course, there is always Super Smash Brothers for those who love party-esque fighting game.

Another game that I highly recommend is Guilty Gear. It’s been a long time since I played one, but with the recent release of Xrd, I am trying to learn how to play Guilty Gear again!

There are of course, so many fighting games that you could pick e.g. BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Killer Instinct, Injustice, Ultimate Marvel v. Capcom 3, Dead or Alive and many more. The choice is entirely up to you, find one that you enjoy the most.

Q : I don’t have a fight stick, does that mean I am not allowed to play fighting games?
    A : No, the preference whether you should use a fightstick or just usual controller pad is definitely up to you. The winner of EVO 2014 for Ultra Street Fighter 4 used PS1 controller. In Street Fighter scene, there are some notable players played exclusively on D-pad: Snake_Eyez or CRS Nuckledu to name a few. The reason why some people use fightstick is because the buttons layout of arcade fighting stick makes it easier to execute combos or intricate moves. As for Japanese players, the reason is simply because they’re accustomed to playing in arcades so much, using D-pad would only hinder their execution.

Q : Which fightstick that I should buy?
    A : I recommend either HORI or Mad Catz. As a rule of thumb, make sure that the fightstick that you are going to buy uses Sanwa parts, simply because it is the most reliable brand for fightstick hardwares. If you find the fightstick price is too high, you can check whether there is a custom fightstick vendor in your region (for example, my fightstick is actually a custom made), they are usually cheaper and could use the same high quality Sanwa hardwares.

Q : Any useful links, resources, or anything that you could give me?
    A : These lists are incomplete, simply because most of the time I only play Street Fighter, thus my knowledge is pretty limited on other games. However, these are some internet sources that I found useful when I started learning fighting games seriously not a long time ago. I would edit this post if you have any suggestion, so please tell me if there are other resources that needs to be added.

Learn How to Play Fighting Games by Patrick Miller – A thorough beginner guide for Street Fighter players. If you want to start playing Street Fighter, this is a good place to start.
    Dustloop Guilty Gear Basics – a beginner guide to Guilty Gear basic mechanics.
    Eventhubs – basically a Kotaku-esque fighting game website. It is a decent news aggregator website, although sometimes they lack the awareness to properly cite the actual content creator.
    Tokidoblog – a great blog for fans of Tokido, one of the 4 Japanese Fighting Game Gods. The content is not exclusively about Tokido, but also Japanese scene in general.

Some great Youtube videos/channels about fighting games:
    Team Spooky After Hours
    i Shoryuken
    Game Fighters
    KarinSF4
    VesperArcade – This guy also has a good beginner guide to SF4. Be sure to check it out!
    Maximillian Dood – Basically a hype man in fighting game scene. His knowledge on the scene is not that advanced, however he is able to make fighting game getting more popular.
    Desk’s Combo Videos – A really great channel for those who are into SF combo videos. His execution skill is insanely good.
    SSF4evo
    Goldenrody – GGXrd focused channel.
    Last edited by Doraku; December 28, 2014 at 03:42 AM.

Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fighting Game

I just received a copy of Xrd today. I must say the game looks really gorgeous with the new unreal engine. For those who are still in doubt whether you should buy GGXrd on PS3/PS4, I'd say just go for it. The game is marvelous.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

It also has a great beginner tutorial too, in case you're worrying that you'll get overwhelmed by the technical stuff.

---------- Post added January 21, 2015 at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was December 30, 2014 at 03:01 PM ----------

Evo 2015 game list:

Ultra SF4
    Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Smash 4
    Guilty Gear Xrd
    Killer Instinct
    Mortal Kombat 10
    Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
    Smash Melee

2 Smash games and no KoF well at least we have Persona and Xrd

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Yoichi Hiruma's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite fighting video game series are:

King of Fighters

Mortal Kombat

Tekken

Virtua Fighter

Bloody Roar

Marvel vs Capcom and Dead or Alive are also cool
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic187522_2.gif

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax is coming west to PS3 and Vita. So hyped for it on Vita.

SoTaku is Love | Todoroki x Kaminari | Team Haikyuu!! | Team BLack Clover | Team Food Wars!

Global Moderator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Xrd patches are coming

oh have some crazy moments from Mikado

Global Moderator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Trailer for the return of Charlie in SFV.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

I just want Fei Long, Yun, and Sagat to be availaible in SFV since they are the only characters that I can play (though I am not good at playing them) :'(

Well Ken is always available, so even if those three are not going to be available for SF V, at least I'd still have someone to play.

キャセロールの神 最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Wtf happened to SF to the point where those three wouldn't be in a game........??? Especially Sagat...

Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Wtf happened to SF to the point where those three wouldn't be in a game........??? Especially Sagat...
    You fighting game now?

Fei Long and Sagat did not appear in SF III. Yun was not added to the cast of SF IV until SFIV AE : 2012 came out. It is rumored that Fei Long is confirmed to be in SFV though, considering there's a movie poster about him in the trailer.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

if Charlie Nash joins the cast, it would be very likely that Guile wouldn't be in SFV as well
    Last edited by Doraku; February 27, 2015 at 09:56 PM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

So, who cares? They were both in 4.

And no, I haven't really been into fighting games in the last 10 years

Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, just because they are in 4 doesn't mean they are going to be included as PC in 5...

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Yeah, just because they are in 4 doesn't mean they are going to be included as PC in 5...
    Forget Fei Long, but Sagat is a staple character, one of the originals. I think it's silly to leave those characters out.

Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

This month is a wonderful time for those who care to watch competitive scenes esp. Street Fighter fans.

Think these tournaments as Pre-EVO/Kappacom Cup warmups:

Red Bull Kumite

http://www.redbull.com/fr/fr/esports...kumite-line-up

SXSW Gaming Fighters Invitational

http://www.sxswgaming.gg/

Both have stacked participants, and I am expecting many great matches in the upcoming weeks.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

omg we have a fighting game thread and a community , i feel like crying

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast