This thread is for members to discuss their concerns and thoughts on what makes Fairy Tail weak as a story/series.
Since we have a number of members that are having some issues with the series... this thread is for them to talk about.
Please DO NOT start bashing or flaming in this thread. This is for members to constructively discuss what they think FT lacks.
Any posts that deviate into bashing or flaming... will be deleted and possibly given an infraction.
Please respect others and their views and keep this thread clean and fair.
Last edited by ghostexiled; July 03, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
It really only has one short-coming: The nakama power-boost crap. Besides that, the manga is fantastic. I compare it to the likes of a magical One Piece (a good thing IMO, I love One Piece). I understand it's a shonen manga, you cannot get into one without having to deal with the friendship ass kickings. But 99% of the battles in FT are won through them, and to me that shows a lack of writing skill and imagination. Mashima writes fantastic fight scenes and puts interesting twists in them quite often which I enjoy immensely. But he always concludes them with a non-sensical protagonist boost in strength which allows them to wtf-pwn their opponent. And even then I wouldn't have a problem with it if it didn't cause two things:
1) FT opponents are almost always hyped to a very exciting degree. Having them being plot no jutsued really detracts from their magical prowess and just leaves off with a disappointing antagonist which is number one pet peeve in literature.
2) It dramatically effects that plot in way that disallows the characters from growing mentally, emotionally, or in their abilities in any concrete and conceivable way. And that to me spells out a short winded manga, which is something I hope FT does not fall victim to.
Even with all this, the situation could be ameliorated to a significant extent, if Mashima didn't make the nakama-powerups so blatantly obvious. The situation just becomes incredibly difficult to ignore when the antagonist is standing there completely unharmed thus far with an enormous amount of magical power and long-ranged and incredibly damaging techniques and the protagonist just comes running at him surviving straight-up explosion and finishing him off with one single cut of a regular old sword because she's surrounded with imaginary pictures of her friends. That's just bad writing. I enjoy the feel and story of friendship driven plots, it's the reason I like mangas like Shaman King, One piece, etc so much. But they all used it to an extent and when they did it was at the very least backed up by common sense. Fairy Tail lacks that and I feel the story and plot suffer as a result.
My mistake. It's annoying when people have inconsistencies in their writing isn't it?Quote:
What I don't like is that everyone on the good side alaways wins, it's a law of physics in Fairy Tail.
Im aware this is a shounen, but shounens should just not be "complicated", it's all fine if they have a good story-line and bad things can happend.
I think many manga-ka uses the "it's a shounen" excuse, including Fairy Tail, and don't make stories as epic as they truely can become, even for a shounen.
Sadness me abit everytime you see potential in a shounen story, the manga-ka even many times forshadow the story to become epic, but in the end, they just take the easy road...
What is it with manga-ka's and the shounen? what is their motivation behind writing a shounen to begin with? Too much bother and thats why they write a shounen? or, is it because they actually "burn" and "live" for thier stories and target groups?
Aside from the obvious, the nakama powerup BS, the other problem I have with FT, is really that sometimes Mashima's twists and storytelling just end up being really....lame.
That nakama powerups do fit into that category, but like I said that doesn't need to be explained at this point. I was thinking of other things. Like when Mistgun was revealed to have the same face as Gerard(how many characters are going to be a Siegheart clone in this manga), that was a big disappointment, and the Star Festival arc went down from there with Luxus being revealed to be a Dragonslayer, and then very predictably casting Fairy Law only for it to have an effect on absolutely no one. Or when Wendy's entire guild was revealed to be an illusion.....yeah thanks Mashima lol. Gildartz's epic speech about running away to Natsu only for Natsu to be like "LOL f%&k you Gildartz" every time he encountered a villain that should've been much stronger than him this arc.
Ultear becoming good RIGHT after her flashback just because shes in the ocean which is apparently now Ur just because she used Iced Shell. By being in the ocean she immediatley is able to see a flashback of what was really going on....what the hell??? That was lame, dumb, rushed, and he basically ruined a great villain that has been in the series for over 200 chapters in just a few pages.
Another recent example was the whole Zoldeo crap.....that was just bad. Capricorn was so cool, and had an epic magic. The fight looked so promising......then next chapter, its revealed that some DERP looking guy with a perm gone horribl wrong actually possessed Capricorns body, we don't get to see Capricorns badass human subordination magic at all as Mashima pretty much rushed through that, and then we learn that Capricorn is going to join up with Lucy without her having to do anything. All in one chapter. Capricorn had such potential to be a cool villain.....the idea of a Celestial Spirit deciding at some point that he hates being a "slave" to humans, being freed from that by Hades and then learning a kind of magic that can enslave humans instead would've been so poetic. But in one chapter, that was ruined. It's not like he couldn't have joined Lucy later after some change of heart anyway. Another thing, Lucy getting all the Stellar Spirits so easily, kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Or for example, Mashima overusing Makarov "dying". It was fine in the Phantom Lord arc, though the anime absolutely KILLED it by making him turn green. But then it showed up again in the Star Festival arc, where he became sick, and it looked as if he really was going to die but he didn't. And just recently, Makarov absolutely getting his ass handed to him......granted I really don't want Makarov to die, but Mashima trying to create tension in the plot by having Makarov be in bad condition during the arc only works once if hes not actually going to do it, and he's done it three times now. I suppose Makarov could still die this arc, but its very unlikely seeing as there has to be a Raven Tail arc at some point, and Makarov would have to be alive in order to explain the whole Makarov-Ivan-Luxus affair. Having him do it over and over again is repetitive, predictable, unoriginal, and boring since we know he's not really going to do it.
Last edited by exacta; July 09, 2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: too damn long lol
Well i am personally not angered by the so called "friendship BS powerup" stuff. It was there from the beginning of the manga and which each and every arc it was getting clearer that it is the very core of this manga. I enjoy it, even if it feels the same in every arc.
But i totally agree with some points about lame twists that exacta mentioned, nut not with all.
One good example is the Makarov nearly dying theme. Well when Mashima introduced Makarov the guild master as one of the 10 holy mages and one of the most powerful of them he may not have known yet that it will cause him some serious problems - because basically he has to find a method of locking him out - he would just one hit most of the enemys, especially having fairy law.
well it's pretty easy to just send out a team on a mission and letting him stay at the guild. but the thing with him being sick and so on it's overused by now.
Well i really like Fairy Tail and i totally enjoy it as it is. But because this thread is called Weak Points i want to give some examples of minor issues that i didn't like.
- One major issue imho is that Fairy Tail was far too strong as a guild to begin with if you think about it with the knowledge we've got now. In the phantom arc the phantom guild was pretty confident to take out fairy tail and it was stated that phantom is indeed a big and powerful guild (well they got this walking guild with the giant cannon and those pretty badass magical weapons). they also had a good plan, luring makarov out to leech out his magical power. But they seemed to not have any intel at all about how powerful fairy tail is. They basically lost against Natsu, Elfman, Grey and Erza. Well maybe they knew about Evergreen, Bixlow, Freed, Laxus, Mystogan and Gildarts not being around, but they certainly couldn't be sure. So it seemed like Fairy Tail is by far the strongest guild around but information about that hasn't spread too wide.
- There is too less information about how the world of Fairy Tail works. You don't get any info about any other guild but Fairy Tail (or very very rarely) until they become totally involved in an arc. Moreover powerful mages don't seem to be to famous, guys like bluenote and gildarts don't seem to know each other. Looking at the information about Deliora from greys past or now meredys past it seems that in the world of FT villages and citys get destroyed by powerful magic but nobody really cares? Well Deliora might have been a monster but it freely walked around killing people, destroying cities. And even if it was one of zeref's monsters, even zeref himself got beaten someho so there have to be some mages who can actually defeat deliora.
All in all this is something that annoys me, it's like the first 400 chapters of Naruto. You know that there is much, much more in the world of that manga, so many guilds (the other hidden villages in Naruto), but you don't get to know anything about them.
- There are too many enemies who turn good. Gajeel, Juvia, Raijin Tribe, Laxus, Gerard, Ultear (not totally sure about that yet), Meredy, Pantherlily, the whole gang of erza's past, wally's brother, Lyon, you can also count Capricio in some kind of way. And Coco.
You can argue about some of those, but there are many names on the list. As an example i want to point out pantherlily. He was expelled from his home country because he brought a human baby in. This made him join the army of the humans (well ofc because he was a close friend of the prince, who vanished to earthland perhaps 10 years ago). He followed all instructions blindly and then suddenly he notices that he totally loves the exceed.
- And lastly: I think Mashina tries to give enemies a reason for their doing too often. Of course it doesn't make you a better person because you have a "reason" to do bad things - because they're are no reasons for such stuff. But he plays the card of the traumatic event in childhood too often. Well yeah, you can become a bad person because of the influence in your youth. But you don't throw that away in an instance.
- I don't like it when Mashima draws characters too much like caricatures. It's ok for me if it's done like in one piece, in which many characters don't have human proportions of such things. But if it only affects about one character per arc.. it's just strange. I can't name most of them, but there are wally with this edgy face and his brother. Then there are a few fairy tail mages (the painter and the one with the strange mouth) and some more.
I would say that Fairy Tail is one of the current manga that is best on starting to build up an arc why I said that because the epicness the current arc get on its starting chapters become its greatest weakness mainly because us readers expect the arc to be consistently epic but from the past previous chapters it started to decline and our expectation is ruined...
Mashima can draw a great starting arc plot but can't be consistent until the end it is the same on most of Fairy Tail arc IMO.
Well, we can all agree about the random powerups and unrealistic immortality of the good guys, and things always just improbably working out for them, but in addition, he tends to be a bit uncreative with his bad guys, many of them are almost exactly copied over from Rave, powers and everything, or will swap powers with a different character from rave.... Also, he tends to buff a powerful group, then introduce someone who is supposed to be so much better than the others but is really just a decoration in the story, i.e. blaine, zero, that cane guy, bluenote, the death pipe, well it's a long list, he tends to have a group who is just so powerful, then someone emerges who we have never heard of before who is supposed to be unstoppable, who the others are nothing compared to, then turns out to contribute little to nothing to the plot, and does two moves max (I think blaine did three).
Last edited by MechR; July 31, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
What do the kids want to read is eventually what will be written. Now as long as the author stays in that line of thought i think there is nothing wrong with the said manga.
I have been critical about some manga before but i always try to keep that in mind.
Now atm Natsu is getting a boost from his old rival/senpai Laxus this is within line with what to expect of this kind of story. So why do people call it inconsistent or lame of the author? < specifically when directed at the author.
If discussing events in the chapter keep it at what you expected and what you didnt expect without spitting in the authors face ^^"
I was already back at discussing/talking about the current chapter so this is the last entry for this topic.
To all the complainers out there ( I'm one of you as well).
What is your reason to continue reading FT?
Despite my complaints, I still like it coz of the art. Of all the manga I've seen, Mashima's art is my favorite. It's cool. And I like some of the characters he creates, the others are just ok. At first, I did like Natsu but he's getting really corny. Another reason is, I like the magic powers. Mashima is really good at creating supernatural powers. It could match Naruto. What do you think? Plus, I've already used time in FT. Thinking some stuffs that could happen here and there. I won't just drop it. I even collected pics of it.
Last edited by ShoobyDooBop; August 01, 2011 at 02:07 AM.