Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (8/10/15 - 8/23/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 639 by cnet128 , Gintama 555 (2) , One Piece 796 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Evaluating Oda's writing and popular fan criticism (edition 1: strawhats)

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Evaluating Oda's writing and popular fan criticism (edition 1: strawhats)

Well, I will complied a list of popular fan criticisms across the internet. Then I evaluate on the validity of each criticism. Being labeled as a fanboy by someone recently, I supposed this is a great way to show that I do read One Piece pretty objectively at time. Since I may do multiple topics, I will divide them in different threads to keep the discussion more focus. There will be a thread on the so call broken power tier of One Piece. Another thread to deal with arc related characters/new characters (so everyone favorite Senor Pink, Chinjao, to Cabbage, Barto, and DD). Feel free to comment on my writing and or rant about how the development/portrayals of the strawhats on here. This help me picking out my next topic to write. This is how I will grade each subtopics.

1- Total fail by Oda
    2- A mishap but it doesn't strongly affect my reading of one piece
    3- It may feel off or wrong but I can see the reasons behind it/the alternative may be worst/lesser of two evils/because of plot/etc
    4- Good job, Oda
    5- Oda is a genius

1) Usopp's regressive development
    Spoiler show

Umm, I gonna let the forum (if they are interested) on which popular fan criticism they want me to deal with next.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; January 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Evaluating Oda's writing and popular fan criticism (edition 1: strawhats)

Good thread and potential series of threads. I have to say that I do think this is a misstep on Oda's behalf. Usopp's cowardice didn't have to be exemplified as it was. At the start of the timeskip, he was still a bit afraid, but it was more caution than anything, he still jumped into the fray when it was needed as we saw in Fishman Island.

The memory scene could have been easily remedied by having the person who concocted the plan turned into a toy, so that everyone would forget what they were doing, and things would go to crap, causing everyone to retreat. Then we could have Usopp getting captured like usual and the same thing could happen as Sugar would still know they were trying to do something with the grape. Usopp would have just been unlucky enough to get captured. No cowardice needed, just Sugar's ability being troublesome. Or, at the least, Usopp trying to help the dwarves because he feels the need to. Have them remind him of his three friends at home in how they idolize him, and he stays behind, despite being out powered. He would know it's stupid, but it'd show bravery on his behalf.

Usopp, shouldn't be a complete coward anymore, rather someone who is still cautious of things as he knows he isn't a monster. Otherwise, what was the point of his training? He was on a man eating island! Everything on that island was trying to kill him.

I give it a 2.

I vote for the discussion of the new characters as the next thread.
    Last edited by eefrit; January 16, 2015 at 08:23 AM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    He was on a man eating island! Everything on that island was trying to kill him.

I give it a 2.

I vote for the discussion of the new characters as the next thread.
    hmm, wow, I want to punch myself for not thinking about this until you brought it up. Speaking of "this island is dangerous disease," the island that usopp was on take the cake. I kinda forgot where he was for the 2 years. He shouldn't been as cowardice as he was as you pointed out.

Also, I don't think the mod like me to open multiple threads. But this thread is just for anything strawhats related like the random Nami's boob size level up or something like that.

Speaking of new characters, since it will be a fan criticism thread. What character do you have in mind and what controversy was it?? The one I got on top of my head is Zehahaha's Shitjao, Doflamingo (in term when people criticize that even though he a mastermind/he kinda lost his cool too much to how morally outrage people was when he kill his father), or Hakuba as a male Hancock, or anything out that you thought of.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    The memory scene could have been easily remedied by having the person who concocted the plan turned into a toy, so that everyone would forget what they were doing, and things would go to crap, causing everyone to retreat.
    Actually if that was the chapter, we did praise how brilliant Oda is. I would read this.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Random boob size level up is strange and pretty unnecessary. Nami didn't need the elective surgery, imo.

Shitjao as he is dubbed, was fine for what he was, but then he kept coming back. His character is nothing more than a prop for Oda to raise Luffy and others. He is more hype than character. He didn't even need Conqueror's Haki to be honest as it was dropped after that mention. He just got unnecessary focus. He and his grandsons are largely uninteresting other than that. You could get rid of the youngest child and nothing would've have been lost.

Doflamingo is fine. He's just a terrible human being who has more faults than he believes. Him killing his father is one of the more interesting aspect of that. He killed his father because he believed his father wronged him. He didn't even care if his mother died, he just saw it as him being deprived of what he "deserved". And when he was getting ready to get killed, he didn't care about dying, he just wanted revenge. Dying didn't cross his mind. That right there, is someone who does deserve Conqueror's Haki. He's an incredible character because he feels like he's owed, when he's really owed nothing at all. The family thing just adds another level.

Cavendish/Hakuba is my favorite of the Colosseum characters. He is just plain ol' entertaining. I don't see the Boa comparisons. If anything, he's a slight rehash of Captain Kuro, at least, the Hakuba portion.

I'm not too invested in Bartolomeo. He is an interesting character, but I find his motivations lacking. If he had a more interesting backstory other than, "Oh, I just saw Luffy be awesome, therefore, I want to be his lackey", I'd be fine with it. It was also hyped up to be more than it actually was.

The Donquixote Famliy is a mixed bag. Bellamy is a waste of panels. His comeback was interesting, but to see him still not get over Donquixote after what just transpired is lame and is just an easy way for Oda to keep Luffy from backing Law up. Machvise is a non entity who may as well have not existed. Senor Pink's gag has long become old and is now grating on my nerves as he just won't go away. Buffalo just sucks.

Jora had the right amount of screen time so I have no issues with her. Same could be said for Sugar. Lao G was wasted. He could have been a much more interesting and involved character.

Dellinger, Monet, Gladius, and Baby 5 are the only officers I found to be truly interesting and capable.

The Seat Officers are either going to be strong or overhyped, and I'm leaning towards the latter. Pika is running around playing red light green light with Zoro, not getting anything substantial done aside from making a mess. Diamante should've been killed one Kyros or Rebecca by now, but he is also just shitting around. Trebol is...interesting. I think there is going to be more to him later on. If that isn't the case though, he still has some pretty cool characteristics. Vergo is awesome.

I give the new characters a 3. There are some I really like and some I just straight up don't see the point in.
    Last edited by eefrit; January 16, 2015 at 02:39 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this arc is full of new things. Not really new because it remind me of Impel down and Marineford.
    Many new people show up, some old characters show up, old enemies who become allies, some future allies or nakamas,
    But in dressrosa, the range is much more multiplied.

But the dressrosa arc feels more depressing because even though the SH has finally assembled but they have to be separated again, and the fans still havent seen enough of the SH's development after 3d2y. Or probably, some of us are hoping for the pattern of Dressrosa = Arabasta where every main character in SH shows their main ability versus strong opppnent. (Which is not happening the same way it does in Arabasta arc)

I also feel it is a bit off since Luffy meet the samurai. The plans are become more muddled since luffy has an alliance, and have to fight the big mom, and the things with the samurai.
    So many things jumbled up in the same occasion last year.

If i have to list the development till now:
    - Luffy's alliance to defeat Kaido through Doffy (pretty much messed up)
    - Liberating Dressrosa (on progress)
    - Big Mom anger
    - Kinnemon & Momonosuke trip to wa no kuni
    - Caesar's fate
    - Zou adventure

So i'll rate it 3, because i havent seen enough of the strawhats crew last year. Many important things are distracted by fights and flashbacks.
    Last edited by seimei; January 16, 2015 at 10:50 PM.

New Reply