Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (7/6/15 - 7/26/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 636 by cnet128 , Gintama 552 (2) , One Piece 794 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Asura no Shindou

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Asura no Shindou

Alright, let's finally talk about this a bit more in-depth. We don't have much to go on, but the two questions we should examine in relation to Asura no Shindou are:
    1. How can it be achieved?
    2. What are its effects?

1. This isn't really explained in the manga, so the two factors we can look at are who has achieved Asura no Shindou and what may have been the trigger for them achieving it, as well as the mythological background.

In case of the former, we have three candidates so far - Tokugawa, Byoudouin and Oni, with Tokugawa being the only one who is 100% confirmed to have it. The anime confirms Byoudouin as well, but that may or may not have been an interpretation on their part.

Looking at the mythological background, I can't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I've pulled this definition from here:

Quote Quote:
    Demons, enemies of the devas and Indra, with whom they are forever at war. They are the aspects of our nature that take the body to be the sole self. They thrive on ambition, anger and jealousy. They represent our personal demons.
    The bolded part is probably the most useful bit here. Looking at Tokugawa, we know that he has some unreal ambition with being even willing to sacrifice his life to defeat Byoudouin, so that fits. So the question we should be asking here is if Byoudouin's and Oni's ambitions are on that same level. I can't really give an objectively correct answer to this, so this is mostly meant to be food for thought.

2. We only have one chapter to go off for this part, but in my eyes there have been a lot of misconceptions about the contents of that one chapter.

Let's review what happens real quick - it's Tokugawa's service game and he aces Byoudouin three times before putting away the second shot easily on the final point. Now, the most common interpretation is that Asura no Shindou has all those different effects like being super fast, or phasing through the racket or having a crazy curve, but since reviewing the chapter again at the end of last month, I believe it's in fact none of that.

What I believe happens is that Tokugawa in fact hits the exact same serve four times, but it's such a high level serve that Byoudouin takes several points to figure it out.

On the first point, the serve is faster than he expects and can't react to it. He adjusts to the speed on the second serve, but the ball "phases" through his racket (in reality it just escapes to the side like GUYU). So he figures out the side spin next and puts his body in the path of the ball on the third serve, but there we get to see that the serve doesn't just go to the side, but upwards as well.

Byoudouin finally grasps all those aspects on the final serve and returns it - Tokugawa puts the return away, but considering we don't see him score like this anymore afterwards, I think it's a fair assumption that Byoudouin has figured out the serve completely at that point and can return it with a regular shot.

So in summary, Tokugawa hits the exact same serve four times. The properties of that serve are that it's a fast slice serve that not only curves sidewards but upwards as well.

Now, is this serve Asura no Shindou? It might be, but I don't think so. I think that serve is simply the best serve Tokugawa is capable of hitting and Asura no Shindou enables him to hit this full power serve consecutively without faulting.

This got pretty long, but I hope you took the time to read it all anyway (and that it was somewhat understandable). Of course there's a chance that I'm wrong about all of this, but I'm pretty confident that this interpretation of the events is more likely than the one we used for the past year.
    Last edited by Kaoz; July 19, 2015 at 03:47 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ChinkyCandie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asura no Shindou

You can't be wrong if no one knows anything about this. We've only gotten the name, not what it does.

Your 1. makes a lot of sense. Amibition describes all of Oni, Tokugawa, and Byodoin. Byodoin's ambition is to lead Japan to the top of the world. Oni's ambition is to inspire orphans. So that part makes sense.

Maybe its something to do with life and death as well? That was the match between Oni and Byodoin 2 years ago and Tokugawa put his life on the line to defeat Byodoin.

Difficult topic this is XD

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there is one correct answer, but only Konomi knows for sure.

Anyway, I think it's pretty possible that experiencing a life-and-death battle is a secondary condition for achieving it. I was thinking about putting it in the OP, but ultimately figured it was long enough as it is and the mythological aspect is more important in my eyes.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ganonslayer101's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Your Explanation of the Serve seems to fit the scene so I wouldn't be surprised. It would be a shame if the Path has no effect outside of a stat boost because that's what the wild beast aura does, so why add another aura name. I wonder if the Asura is Necessary for the Black Hole which would explain why Byoudin, Oni, nor Irie can use it if they haven't achieved Asura.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It has a different name because it represents something different. I reckon that even if it's just a stat boost, it likely boosts different stats or has a greater boost associated with it or something (Moujuu is something like 2 SPE/1 POW, I'd think AnS at least gives a MEN boost).

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I feel like Byoudouin's final serve probably was his best serve / AnS-powered as well. That's more so because of how powerful it is drawn though, there's no real indicator in text form. Unfortunately we haven't seen any of Byoudouin's normal serves so far, so there's nothing to compare it to either.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ganonslayer101's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

doesn't seem like AnS since even some of his normal serves look like he's launching rai at the enemy and given his obliterating style, it seems likely that a full-power serve is that strong without using AnS.

New Reply