* Luffy "met" his father in Loguetown who helped him escape from Smoker.
* Luffy met his father's best friend Ivankov in Impel Down who helped him escape from Magellan (who has a similar "just" character like "Smoker" IMHO).
Both are connected to Luffy's brother Sabo, too.
1. welcomed by whale
2. monkey d. dragon
4. strawhats captured / separated
1. welcomed by whales
2. met a dragon
4. separated and caught two different teams.
To me I don't think it's intentional but rather it is a product of the same characters living in the same world, with reoccurring characters clashing to make similar stories. However, it is very interesting to see Fishmen Arcs starting off two major points in the story. But when it boils down to it...it's just grasping at straws. Sure we started with a Fishmen Arc and the Straw Hats "saved" the towns people from the chaos caused by the fishmen pirates. Also the same happened from the New Fishmen Pirates. But this again is the product of hatred between fishmen and humans which is part of the story line. When you look closely there is nothing else that is really similar that doesn't happen in every or most arcs. Destroying something important happens in almost every arc, that's just the way Luffy and gang conduct themselves.
One the other hand, it would be interesting to see if we get new crew members in the same manor as before such as: rescuing Zoro versus rescuing a samurai or someone else on Punk Hazard. (which is something all the Straw Hats have in common Luffy saved them from something). So if we see someone that is tied up like Zoro and Luffy saves this person-I might speculate that we are getting a new crew member. But, I'm not going to be shocked if this does not play out.
Hi everyone i don't know if this is going to be a good thread to post this but, if not, please mods place it somewhere else..
So.. actually i'm re-reading One Piece (again xD) and i found something intresting. Remember when before Sky Piea arc Luffy went to the town to get back the gold binami took?? Well.. he came with some "extra".
Last edited by Laif; March 22, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
parallelisms in recruiment.
EAST BLUE ---- GRAND LINE
1. roronoa zoro --- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (3 katanas)
1. tony tony chopper ---- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (hiluluk's flag)
2. cat burglar nami ---- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (arlong pirates)
2. nico robin -------------- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (CP9)
****gaimon -------------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities
****nefertari vivi ------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities
3. captain ussop ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.
3. cyborg franky ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.
4. black leg sanji ----- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.
4. dead bones brook -- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.
Oh, it's not that easy. In the plainness of you parallels, you twist what actually happened.
And Luffy didn't only save Hiluluk's flag but also defeated Wapol and became Chopper's first friend after Hiluluk. Again, a different motivation.
Luffy saved Robin already in Arabasta from certain death so she turned it the way that he owes her one for denying her wish for death - and before even that Robin saved Luffy in the desert of Rainbase where she already turned out to be interested in the Will of D. She was then appealed by the spirit of adventure (as Robin said to Zoro).
Usopp wanted to leave home to become a great warrior of the sea without any force. He later rejoins after being the first to seriously argue with Luffy which results in separation from him.
they have a huge fascination with the design of the beetles, how its head looks like samurai armour (which might be based on the beetles in the first place)
it's like an american comic showing burgers twice, it's nothing much to read into, it's just something that's deeply ingrained in american culture and happens to appear in various forms time and again
And all I am saying is, your view is much too plain - and please do not lose yourself into comparing too much too plain. You could even go much more out of any details by saying: Luffy is recruiting persons whose dreams are compatible to his own, so they can support each other. Or at a certain plot development at each arc, the Straw Hat Pirates split in two or three groups and have a battle on their own...
artistic parallelisms or easter eggs is like sending a message to the audience and leaving clues, or maybe i just like conspiracies...well, either way, i respect your opinion coz im just throwing theories anyways.