Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (3/9/15 - 3/22/15).
! Visit the new forums for Tokyo Ghoul and The Gamer!
Forum News: Check out the results for the Anime Awards 2014
New Reply

Thread: What do you do when a manga ends?

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you do when a manga ends?

It's easy when a satisfying manga ends: I archive it and keep a copy to reread from time to time. And if it's such an awesome manga, and art is good, I buy the volumes.

Question is, what if a manga ends, and you were quite invested in it, but it went awry, or the end was not what you liked it to be, or... you just can't reconcile with the last chapter. Do you delete the manga from your archives? Do you forget the story? Or do you keep it (in your harddrive or good memory) as it has kept you entertained anyway except for that ending?

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you do when a manga ends?

i imagine a better ending in my head .i fantasize

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Holt's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Still keep it. Could reread favorite scenes and arcs as well.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the ending of a manga delegitimizes all the chapters before the ending.

It's like if the whole manga was great, but some chapter in the middle sucked, does that ruin it? No? Then why does it matter if the bad chapter just happens to be the last one?

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I only keep mangas I like very much, when I don't buy them. The rest, even when the end is good, I delete to release space in my HD. From time to time, I upload them in the cloud to release space as well.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorApollo View Post
    I don't think the ending of a manga delegitimizes all the chapters before the ending.

It's like if the whole manga was great, but some chapter in the middle sucked, does that ruin it? No? Then why does it matter if the bad chapter just happens to be the last one?
    are you kidding? A bad chapter in the middle can be totally redeemed with a good ending.

But a bad ending can't ever be reconciled, can it? I mean, there's nothing to hope for if it's the end.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually weep bitterly once it ends and then think hard about it and crey somemore (if its good).

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Gakkyu Hotei | Team Food Wars!

K-On is love K-On is live MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless it is utterly unbearable, I'd just move along with my life and pick another manga to soothe my anger/sadness. Thankfully I haven't found one so all is well for me. I rarely save any Manga in my HDD, but I collect many physical copies. It seems like I am wasting a lot of money if I throw them away simply just because I don't like how the story progresses. Bad memories are still memories so there's still emotional attachment and nostalgic value for bad manga, I suppose. Better to remember the name of the authors who created those bad mangas to prevent reading anything made by them again.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like its a rarity for a manga series to finish while I'm still invested in it. Either I eventually lose interest in manga that are still ongoing, or I read manga that's already completed.

I think I agree with DoctorApollo the most -- a bad ending shouldn't take away from the enjoyment you had from a series otherwise. I do think there can be stages of denial though. Like initially you might feel a sense of "betrayal" from an author for pulling such an awful ending on you. And you may be tempted to just forget that series all together.

But...I always question people that do that. Because authors are just like everyone else, they make mistakes, and at the end of the day, they can only write one ending out of a 100 different endings. The official ending is a suggestion, I think, not a rule. Or at least, this is why I have a habit of not reading the last chapter of a lot of series I finish. >_>

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Unless it is utterly unbearable, I'd just move along with my life and pick another manga to soothe my anger/sadness. Thankfully I haven't found one so all is well for me. I rarely save any Manga in my HDD, but I collect many physical copies. It seems like I am wasting a lot of money if I throw them away simply just because I don't like how the story progresses. Bad memories are still memories so there's still emotional attachment and nostalgic value for bad manga, I suppose. Better to remember the name of the authors who created those bad mangas to prevent reading anything made by them again.
    You don't have to throw away, you just have to deceive someone and sell it or sell to a bookstore.
    You will not receive the same amount, but you can recover part of the value.
    Last edited by Leoat12; March 18, 2015 at 06:27 AM.

K-On is love K-On is live MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Lesotho
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    You don't have to throw away, you just have to deceive someone and sell it or sell to a bookstore.
    You will not receive the same amount, but you can recover part of the value.
    While that is definitely a reasonable suggestion, I cannot sell them (or throw them away) because I value the sentimental feelings that I have for those manga higher than the... monetary gains that I could receive if I manage to sell them. It sounds weird I know, but insofar as I have places to keep them safely and neatly, I guess I'd keep them even if I don't like them necessarily.

New Reply