- If Luffy has not used Gear Second until now, it will be burden for his body far worse than Gear Second. It will also fit with this arc theme involving Law.
- Gear Second and Third were heavily connected to Luffy's Devil Fruit ability. But vulcanization has already been used for other techniques. Dunno what else it could be.
- It shall be fire-based, since Luffy already used fire technique and is somewhat fitting to other gears. But it would not be simply as having his body covered in fire, but something on a different level. He could even melt his own body to create some substance that acts like lava.
- Gear Second was based on the Kaio-ken from Dragon Ball, so it could be a Super Saiyan-esque power-up.
- Since Luffy fighting style is already influenced by Hokuto no Ken, he may use rubber to apply tension to the opponents body and destroy them from inside.
- When Luffy used Gear Second against CP9, it made his own fighting style very similar to Rokushiki. So Luffy may be able to slice things like Doflamingo own ability. Not to mention it could be a way to counter Doflamingo Devil Fruit.
- Following the battle with Crocodile, Luffy used an element (water) to defeat him. This time Luffy could use another element to help him. I am thinking of wind since it would give him an slicing ability.
- Luffy also used his own blood to fight Crocodile. So he could launch fragments of his flesh as projectiles.
- Since rubber is malleable, Luffy may drastically change the shape of his body.
Edit: The latest chapter made a clear point about the limitations of Gear Second and Third:
Gear Second is not strong enough.
And Gear Third is not fast enough.
So Gear Fourth will be both strong and fast.
Last edited by Fox666; April 09, 2015 at 03:50 PM.
The thing is, unlike Logia, melting his own body would be a terrible disadvantage to Luffy and would seriously harm him. He cannot regenerate those body parts like a Logia user can nor can he detach them. I doubt it would be something similar to lava.
The theory I liked the most is the spring theory which was posted in the chapter discussion. Would really work very well with Luffys DF and the side effects would also make a lot of sense (like G2 side effects).
If I remember correctly, Luffy used both gear second and third to fight Moriah. So...speed and size. I'm thinking gear fourth might make him flat. Since he is made of rubber, if he can be blown up and be elastic, he should also be able to make himself flat. Being flat can help with gliding in the air as well as slicing your enemies.
When he used it against moriah it gave you some serious side effects and thanks to kuma we never got to find out. Now luffy might have learned to control it like gear second and named it gear 4. I hope my theory is wrong because that move sucks. It's not cool. It only worked because moriah was big. The move did not finish him off, the mast did.
Maybe we have already seen a part of what gear 4 might look like. Im talking about the Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk.
As we know Red Hawk is a combination of Gear 2 and Haki but what if Gear 4 takes that concept and enhances it even more.
That means Luffys hole body would be covered in flames, giving him a super saiyin like aura which would be a logic continuation of kaioken (gear 2) and ape form (gear 3). It would also show his connection with ace and be a pretty badass matchup with Akainu.
AND most importantly it could be explained why Luffy didn't use that Gear against Hody in the water - just because its fire and wouldn't work there. Only a limited attack of that kind (red hawk) was possible there, thats why Luffy was limited in his options there.
Moreover we already saw that the red hawk has damaged Doffy a bit and gear 4 would probobly take this attack to a hole different level.
It could also be helpful to burn away the birdcage and Doflamingos strings.
Other than hardening himself without growth (growing larder than gear 3 might be dangerous in that shrinking cage), I can picture Luffy collecting a massive amount of haki (could be mixture of different haki, pure conquerors haki, etc.) by initially puffing up first and having that puffiness disappear into his limbs to make him very buff (and dark because of the haki). The drawbacks would be much more dire than gear 3 and there might be a short time limit, therefore Luffy will have to do or die it similar to when he used gear 3 to get rid of tough foes in the past. Luffy might receive drastic increase in speed and power along with the special traits of the conqueror's haki (we haven't seen the full potential of the conqueror's haki yet. Simply making opponents pass out might not be the only special trait of this haki).
Has to be related to power, and probably speed. As some chap said in this thread, Luffy's issue was not having power or speed to hit Cell, much like Trunks when he faced off against Cell and discovered goin past SSJ2 was useless. Luffy needs strength behind his punches as Gear 2 isn't doing it, and while Gear 3 is strong, it's too slow.
Gear 2 was related to blood, Gear 3 to bones, my guess is that Gear 4 will be about muscles, but I don't really know where that could lead, maybe he will achieve a form similar to "nightmare Luffy".
I have a feeling that G4 might enable Luffy to use attacks similar to Elizabello's King Punch, but on a smaller scale (for now).
Probably, as many have already speculated, speeding up the blood flow, expanding his muscles (maybe bones as well) to some extent and vulcanising his body with haki. This alone would make him stronger while maintaining G2 speed. His G4 attacks would most likely have shorter range. The overall nature of G4 would be that of a shotgun.
The thing is, in my opinion, that would only put him on equal ground with Doffy (who probably still has some ace in his sleeve)… This is why he might need something to put the nail in Doffy’s coffin.
Something like a technique inspired by King Punch.
- Luffy saw the whole block B fight in the colloseum and was in awe after witnessing King Punch.
- Dagama mentioned that Elizabello is able to use this technique because of his “impeccable body” (G4 takes care of that).
- Dagama also said that it would work even against a Yonkou (and Luffy seems to be destined to fight 3 of them).
- It would make Doffy’s plan of luring Luffy into the colloseum work against him to even greater extent than it already had.
- This technique gives Luffy some serious potential for growth in the future.
Maybe it will be something similar to what Gon did in HxH
I can't imagine fire is going to factor into it. Sanji already exists; it'd be some pretty unnecessary overlap. Gear 2nd itselfups his stats, specifically his speed. Gear 3rd simply increased his attack through sheer size. The sticking point has been a fundamental change to his own body. I would think it would follow that Gear 3rd is likely to be the same. It's likely to come at the cost of significant stamina, and his own health to some extent, and will likely have some sort of stringent limit at this point. It's probably going to be somewhere along the line of altering his muscles to increase their limits.
I think it will be a faster, stronger version of gear 2nd
I have 2 theories for Gear 4th:
1. Something like Toriko´s Kugi Punch. Luffy pushes his skin downwards from his arm, making it look a like his legs when he goes gear 2. So, when he punches, the accumulated skin will go back and forth on his arm, creating shockwaves, or multiple after-punches. He would have to hold his oponent so all the effect can happen. Also, this should take a toll on his arm, as he would also take the shockwave damage.
2. If Gear 2 is speed and Gear 3 is strength, Gear 4 could be about defense. Luffy could stretch the part of his body that was gonna take an attack, so the area affected by a hit or even a cut would be smaller. In this case, even if the hit used haki, it wouldnt diminish the effect of this defense.
I have noticed two things:
1) Luffy asked all the people around to leave, despite the cage is shrinking. Why, since Doflamingo can't damage anyone of them? (Cavendish Firewall: ON)
2) As someone told already, this scene is just like what Trunks did with Cell, it's just to explain the limit of previous tecniques against the new enemy.
To me, The attack must be something comparable to King Punch, but realized using Luffy's DF properties in a completely new way. It will be the same as saying "Luffy is going SSJ2!!!".
And as the one who told "it must be a spring!", I must now say that if it's a spring... I would be a little disappointed.
I think LadyLola is more correct in assuming/wishing for Luffy to contract to increase or keep his speed while increasing his power. His muscle mass contracting and being more focused would give him more power, while being smaller would give him the speed that he needs to hit Doflamingo. Luffy will probably suck the air out or something from his thumb and force his muscles to be more focused.
I can see the side effect being that one or two uses takes Luffy completely out, while Gear 2 just exhausted Luffy even more and gave him shorter lifespan while Gear 3 made him a midget.