Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (4/13/15 - 4/19/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best in Fairy Tail Awards.

View Poll Results: Who will take out the birdcage?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zoro and the two samurai from Wano

23 62.16%
  • The Colosseum fighters

1 2.70%
  • Zoro and co + the Colosseum fighters

2 5.41%
  • Zoro alone

11 29.73%
New Reply

Thread: One Piece chapter 784 review-Gear Fourth

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece One Piece chapter 784 review-Gear Fourth

One Piece chapter 784 : Gear Fourth

Finally the chapter we’re all been waiting for. After a very cruel break, One Piece comes back with an explosive chapter, that is unsurprisingly titled Gear Fourth.
    Credits to mangastream

Hmm zombies...could this be a hint about Gear 4 ?

For once I’ll be commenting on the color cover. First it is easily one of my favorites, it shows the SHs having a picnic in a cemetery surrounded by Zombies. The SHs are acting as usual, the weakest ones are scared out of their lives, because of the zombies, while the rest are enjoying themselves. Robin is even seen feeding one of the zombies , but what is most interesting is what going on over at Zoro’s side. He’s wearing a T-shirt with an incomplete inscription that goes like this: “………ie ultimo...ie major”. This is actually a saying in Spanish “Quien rie ultimo rie major” which translates to “He who laughs last laughs best ”. This message could have a relevance to the manga, or not, but I thought it would be nice to point it out. And below him is a gravestone with the number “944”, some people believe that this could refer to chapter 944, and it being possibly when they reach Raftel, but seeing how we’ve already reached the 780 chapters mark I doubt it. If anything this could be the number of a chapter that has some big reveal, like a new Gear, or a new nakama. This makes more sense to me.

Gear 4 finally revealed!

I can’t say I wasn’t expecting a Gear fourth technique, I think pretty much all the fans were expecting it. There was no reason not to introduce a new gear after the time skip, after all in the first half it is usually what made the difference. Gear 2 gave Luffy more speed in order to keep up with his enemies, namely CP9. Gear 3 on the other hand gave Luffy more power in order to deal devastating puches, by inflating his bones, but with him perhaps being slower. And with him not being able to deal enough damage to DD despite being fast it seemed that the solution was to have a middle ground between Gear 2 and Gear 3, allowing Luffy to retain his speed while dealing devastating punches. That was rather easy to predict , however the way he’ll be able to do it was harder to predict. And I feel only a few managed to come close to the final result.
    Gear 4 can be summarized as Luffy inflating his muscles and coating himself in Haki, but not entirely.
    He starts by creating a Muscle Balloon in his hand, and as the name suggests it’s achieved by inflating his mucles instead of his bones as seen previously in Gear 3. Using Gear 4 Luffy is able to become bigger, but not just his arm, he traps air in the whole of his body. The Haki armor is back, as we’ve previously seen with Vergo and Pica who used it on themselves, although in Luffy’s case it’s only a partial armor.So those who predicted that Haki will be part of Gear 4 were also right. The form he takes in his Gear 4 is called Boundman,as in “bouncing man”. Indeed in this form he is all round and bouncy as a ballon.The design is goofy as hell, and kinda reminiscent of Nightmare Luffy, but it’s also very original and consistent with Oda’s unique style of drawing. It is kinda underwhelming at first, even DD starts laughing at it (I did too lol) but once he starts attacking him, we finally realize that this is the real deal.
    Overall I like the design especially with the Haki armor, I love the flame like pattern that the haki takes.

Gear 4 is so powerful it sends DD flying...yeah baby!

While in his boundman form, Luffy starts by retracting his fist inside, instead of stretching it as seen in previous Gears, and this was also predicted by the readers. This was one of my favorite theories since by retracting his fist Luffy would be able to deal more damage, and this is exactly what happens as he uses the Gomu Gomu no Kong Gun, that not only hurts DD but sends him flying to a distance. Even DD is unable to realize what is happening.It is worth noting that Luffy says that he had to come up with this new gear in order to fight the giant beasts of Rusukaina, so it is something he most likely came up with early on in his training and not at the end like some of us thought.
    So it seems that Gear 4 has managed to come up with the solution to Luffy’s problem of not being able to hit DD hard enough. And it managed to comprise a few theories that were floating around. First the fact that he could try to combine Gear 2 and 3, although in this case Gear 3 seems to be taking the lion’s share , but instead of inflating his bones it’s the muscles. Haki is an important part, and Luffy attacks now by retracting his muscles instead of stretching them, which is something new.And the design ressembles that of Nightmare Luffy.

Zoro finally decided to do something about the birdcage.

We get to see a few shots of Dressrosa where the cage is seen shrinking, which threatens to kill all the citizens. No place is safe, not even the plateau, where it is predicted by Hack that it will become the center of the cage right where DD is standing. Usopp is panicking as usual, but what is interesting is that Zoro finally decided to do something about the cage.He and the two samurais are prolly trying to get closer to the cage in order to take it down. I think it’s time we know if Zoro can cut the cage, but seeing as he’s accompanied by Kin’emon and Kanjuro he prolly needs their help. In the end I think it could be a joint effort between the colosseum fighters who are not ready to die just yet, and Zoro and co. That could be an interesting development, although It would make Zoro look even more badass if he were to take it down all by himself.

Law's arm is restored, Cavendish correctly analyzes the situation

Cavendish is still protecting Law, who had his arm stitched back by Leo and Mansherry as expected. His arm would be functional once the blood starts flowing into it again. Cavendish remarks how Luffy and Law are at the center of events that will have a huge impact. He really is an interesting character, and at this point I’m also routing for him to join. Since he’s looking to be famous, what better way to achieve it than joining the SHs, instead of trying to kill them? . With this Cabbage has had as much exposure as Bartolomeo if not more. I also like how he analyzes the situation and sees that Law and Luffy are going to be at the center of a storm that will sweep at the NW, most likely because of DD and how he's involved in the underworld. I gotta say I'm pretty impressed by Cavendish's character, he's more mature than I originally thought and even if he doesn't join I'd like to see more of him, as an ally of the SHs maybe.

DD is still trying to figure what's going on....Luffy can fly

Back at Luffy vs DD. The latter still wonders how Luffy, who is a rubberman, is able to deal so much damage to someone like him with a superior fruit. It seems that DD like pretty much all the villains in OP is also underestimating Luffy because his fruit is not that unique or powerful with its base power, in comparison to DD’s Ito Ito no mi which is more deadly. It is consistent with DD’s comment in before about him having one of the rarest fruits. As DD is sent flying far from the plateau, Luffy joins him….by flying. Yes Luffy can fly now . This new gear is pushing the boundaries of what Luffy’s fruit can do, he’s not just floating anymore, he’s able to propel himself to a distance. He hits DD with his two feet with what he calls a Rhino Schneider.Luffy still has to practice his landing lol.DD is once again sent flying, this time between Pica’s statue’s feet (GOAL!). Luffy is relentless and tries to attack DD with a Culverin (aka Python Cannon) , which has Luffy’s arm stretch this time, but DD evades the attack and tries to hit Luffy from the side with his Athlete thread, but is unable to hurt him due to Luffy’s elasticity. Normally with all that air stored in his body it makes sense that attacks wouldn’t hit, because it’s mostly air that gets hit, and despite using Haki Luffy is able to maintain that elasticity. This use of Haki could mean that Luffy has become so proficient in using it that he’s able to maintain the properties of his DF, when normally his body would become hard and lose its elasticity. DD wonders why Luffy’s size isn’t shrinking despite Luffy getting hit. The air should be released under the pressure of the kick in theory.Maybe the Haki traps the air so even if Luffy gets hit his size remains the same.Or it simply is that DD’s info about Luffy is outdated

DD seems powerless in front of Luffy who keeps landing hits.

Luffy is able to keep his inflated form without shrinking and he continues to pound at DD. He sents his fist to find DD in a snake like pattern, and he finally hits him with the intended Culverin from earlier in the face.

Wow what can I say? Gear 4 is without a doubt impressive, if Luffy continues to pound at DD like this he’ll be done in no time. However I feel that DD can still manage to turn the tables. As some suggested he could use a full body armor too, and his haki should be stronger than the likes of Vergo and Pica. That would at least protect him from the damage he’s currently receiving. He could also use his strings, maybe even the parasite strings, but it all depends of whether they will work on Luffy at this point. Haki could negate the strings so they wouldn’t be able to control Luffy. Also there is something that I find rather strange, why didn’t Luffy imbue all of his body in Haki? His stomach and chest area are bare; so I can see that as his weak point that DD could try to target. I doubt Gear 4 will have too many drawbacks like Gear 2 and 3 back in the day, but having a weak point that could be exploited, or Luffy not being able to maintain this form for long could even things out. Other than that I think Gear 4 managed to find an effective solution to Luffy’s problem, it managed to maintain Luffy’s speed while giving him more powerful punches, however I wonder if just like Gear 3 that was introduced shortly after Gear 2 , Gear 5 could get introduced if it turns out that DD found a way to counter the effects of Gear 4.Since Gear 4 could have been created way early in Luffy’s training, it wouldn’t be completely impossible that he thought about another gear, which he could have came up with later. But at this point it hardly seems necessary, since Luffy is able to deal quite some damage with this new gear.

Based on my enjoyment of this chapter, and because I feel that Gear 4 lived up to the expectation, I’m giving this chapter a 9 out 10, also I can’t wait to see Zoro try to cut the birdcage next
    Last edited by ladylola; April 28, 2015 at 05:16 PM.

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member AriesNoShion's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece chapter 784 review-Gear Fourth

Nice review. You should add Issho with zoro and the 2 samurai! I'm sure his DF will be usefull against birdcage.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AriesNoShion View Post
    Nice review. You should add Issho with zoro and the 2 samurai! I'm sure his DF will be usefull against birdcage.
    Considering that those are the characters who were shown in this chapter who clearly stated that they would take down the birdcage I only added them.Issho is a mystery at this point, as he would be more preoccupied by saving the citizens and helping them evacuate.
    It goes without saying that he could reflect the falling strings or any kind of rumble that may result from the birdcage getting cut. As for the birdcage itself his DF doesn't seem like it would manage to destroy it based on his previous attempt.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Federicoxxx's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review ladylola!!! luvvv it!
    Itachi and Nagato..
    F.A.D
    (Friends After Death)

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Going back to the reveal of Gear 2, Luffy overwhelmed Blueno, but was not able to defeat Lucci without Gear 3. One thing I've been thinking a lot about is the fact that Luffy came up with this gear really early in his training like you said. Do you think there is a possibility that even within this fight there will be the revelation of gear 5 which he used later in his training? If he learned this early in his training, Gear fourth most likely is not indicative of Luffy's full strength.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floman View Post
    Going back to the reveal of Gear 2, Luffy overwhelmed Blueno, but was not able to defeat Lucci without Gear 3. One thing I've been thinking a lot about is the fact that Luffy came up with this gear really early in his training like you said. Do you think there is a possibility that even within this fight there will be the revelation of gear 5 which he used later in his training? If he learned this early in his training, Gear fourth most likely is not indicative of Luffy's full strength.
    I think it all depends on whether Gear fourth will be enough to take down DD, who could just be having a hard time right now because he still hasn't adjusted to Luffy's new technique. All throughout the chapter we've seen DD wondering how Luffy can hit so hard, and even question some of the aspects of the Gomu Gomu no mi. So it's safe to say that right now DD is still trying to figure out how to deal with Gear 4. I do not believe DD will go down next chapter, simply because he still has to use a very powerful and deadly technique, similar to a gear for example. All he's using right now is techniques he already used against Law and Luffy. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I really believe that DD has some ace up his sleeve. For example it's quite possible that DD can completely imbue himself in Haki like Vergo and Pica, and still he hasn't done so which makes me think there's a chance he's not being serious.And then there is the possiblity of Gear 4 having a weakness, or some sort of limitation.
    As we both pointed out, Luffy could have come up with Gear 4 early in his training, because supposedly he came up with it to fight the animals of Rusukaina. Unlike what some predicted, it seems less plausible that he only came up with it by the end of his training, mostly because he would really need it in order to survive against the beasts who were targetting him. So to me while Gear 4 could have happened early in the training, Luffy could have continued to experiment with his Gears for the remaining 6 months, after he already finished his haki training. So yes to me it seems to be a (strong) possiblity that he came up with Gear 5 as well.
    The real question though is if he's going to use it against DD or he will save it for the Yonko. I'm pretty sure he will use a new Gear when and if he faces Kaido.
    Gear 4 could have been a recreation of Nightmare Luffy, with Luffy combining Gear 3 and 2, as such it's not as groundbreaking or original as the previous Gears. Sure it's pretty strong, based on this chapter, but still I think Gear 5 should be something completely new imo.
    Last edited by ladylola; April 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ShenGao's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review, i didn't even realize that Mingo was sent flying between Picas stone legs.

But i am wondering about 1 point: the thing with Luffy not shrinking back. Isn't that about Luffys arm and not his body? Luffy attacked with "Culverin", Mingo dodged and counter attacked, it had no effect on Luffy, Luffy commanded his still strechted out arm to attack as "Python" and the arm started to deform and attack in a different pattern than normal. Normal = stretch the arm, attack, arm shrinks back. "Pyhton" = attack with arm, arm doesn't shrink back, arm attacks in an unusual way, attack has the element of surprise and is confusing the enemy like it did with Mingo.

And about Gear 5 and Mingos trump card: A Gear 5 should at this point be something that could destroy the island. Luffy plans to take out Mingo and the Birdcage with Gear 4, so going a step/Gear further should come with enough destructive power to surpass these two by far.
    The trump card could be something like his string clones on a gigantic scale: 100 or 1000 of Mingos, all attacking Luffy at the same time and he doesn't know which is the real one and has to take them all out at the same time, something like that would need the strongest Gear 4 attack or a Gear 5.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Black Void's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review of gear fourth!

When I would give a guess about Gear Fith, I would say its a combination of inflating his bones and muscles, to increase his overall size evenly - haki is used to reinforce his body and keep it in check.

It would put his body under much stress, cuz he would be like an overfilled ballon and it should limit his ability to stretch. Gear 2 would help to circulate the blood in his body. But just a guess.

It would be funny. Giant Luffy xD He would finally match the size of the other big shots..

Overall I agree with what you say. nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by ShenGao View Post
    And about Gear 5 and Mingos trump card: A Gear 5 should at this point be something that could destroy the island. Luffy plans to take out Mingo and the Birdcage with Gear 4, so going a step/Gear further should come with enough destructive power to surpass these two by far.
    The trump card could be something like his string clones on a gigantic scale: 100 or 1000 of Mingos, all attacking Luffy at the same time and he doesn't know which is the real one and has to take them all out at the same time, something like that would need the strongest Gear 4 attack or a Gear 5.
    Or a new technique ... Point Blank Release of all contained air..cuasing destruction into this direction on a huge scale...

whatever^^

best regards
    BlackVoid
    Last edited by Black Void; April 29, 2015 at 02:16 PM.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic134950_2.gif

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShenGao View Post
    Great review, i didn't even realize that Mingo was sent flying between Picas stone legs.

But i am wondering about 1 point: the thing with Luffy not shrinking back. Isn't that about Luffys arm and not his body? Luffy attacked with "Culverin", Mingo dodged and counter attacked, it had no effect on Luffy, Luffy commanded his still strechted out arm to attack as "Python" and the arm started to deform and attack in a different pattern than normal. Normal = stretch the arm, attack, arm shrinks back. "Pyhton" = attack with arm, arm doesn't shrink back, arm attacks in an unusual way, attack has the element of surprise and is confusing the enemy like it did with Mingo.

As far as I can tell all of Luffy's body is inflated, not just his arm, and DD made that comment after he hit Luffy in the stomach/side with Athlete thread. He prolly remembered the Fusen from back in Marineford, when Luffy used it against Sengoku's punch in his buddha form. He did shrink back at the end, so it's most likely DD wondering if it shouldn't be the same this time. Gear 4 is already strong I give you that, but I don't think Gear 5 would destroy all of Dressrosa. Something that powerful would be impractical to use...But even if it is as long as Mansherry is there she could restore Dressrosa, even if she has to sacrifice a few years.
    Doflamingo's final attack could be deadly for sure, but I doubt it will involve clones, remember how easily Luffy dealt with that one from before? Yeah and he wasn't even using Gear 4, instead I'd rather prefer to see DD use a Haki armor, similar to Luffy and use some very powerful string related technique.Surprise me Oda!

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Black Void View Post
    Nice review of gear fourth!

When I would give a guess about Gear Fith, I would say its a combination of inflating his bones and muscles, to increase his overall size evenly - haki is used to reinforce his body and keep it in check.

It would put his body under much stress, cuz he would be like an overfilled ballon and it should limit his ability to stretch. Gear 2 would help to circulate the blood in his body. But just a guess.

It would be funny. Giant Luffy xD He would finally match the size of the other big shots..

Overall I agree with what you say. nicely done!

Or a new technique ... Point Blank Release of all contained air..cuasing destruction into this direction on a huge scale...

whatever^^

best regards
    BlackVoid
    That's an interesting theory. To me the next Gear (Gear 5) should be just like Gear 2, as in Luffy will have the same size, but he could still retract his mucles like in the King Gun, and overall be more condensed instead of stretching. I think at this point all of the Gears will feature Haki, and I'm still waiting for Luffy to literally ignite
    Overall I think among the theories that were floating around about Gear 4 some could be used for future Gears. Vulcanization is pretty interesting, as well as vibrations, and Luffy retracting his muscles. But all of them will have to keep a balance between speed and power imo.

Thanks for the feedback and glad all of you guys liked the review
    Last edited by ladylola; April 29, 2015 at 03:12 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I seriously called it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafan2 View Post
    Wow I actually got goosebumps when I saw gear 4. Wow didn't see that coming at all even though, when I think about it, it's pretty obvious he needs a powerup to beat DF.
    This is awesome.
    Maybe his whole body becomes Gear 3? Or it's a combination of gear 3 + gear 2nd? So he becomes slightly bigger, more muscular, speed of gear 2nd and power of gear 3rd? Big buffed Luffy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafan2 View Post
    Well Silver Rayleigh was a master of haki. Maybe he found a way to integrate it with his new gear.
    I'm thinking of a Kaioken like mode, where he can multiply his power.

Or like I mentioned before, it's a smaller version of gear 3rd where his becomes buff, taller and extremely fast.
    I do think this form can't be maintained long and that he will receive damage while doing so, or that he will be weakened/rendered useless after his gear is over.

I think it's a great new form and this isn't standard Luffy at all, it's something new which I really like and appreciate.
    It's more grown up.

Also, I would like to add, just to put things into perspective. LUFFY FREAKING LAUNCHED DOFFY. Sure you have to be REALLY strong to punch or kick him so that he actually loses his breath, BUT LUFFY LAUNCHED HIM, HE FREAKING FLEW KILOMETERS AWAY!
    Last edited by Mangafan2; April 29, 2015 at 05:12 PM.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been quite long since my last comment. My prediction is that Doflamingo will be beaten around a little bit more than release his final attack. At this stage they both fight on a level again until Luffy and Doflamingo clash with their strongest attacks. Doflamingo manages to stand and just as Luffy is about to release Gear 5 collapses and we have another teaser.
    Something like that or Gear 5 will be at least mentioned.

The panda-bears rocking all over the world!

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. It was fun reading it. It was a good distraction during Golden Week.

Right now DD is fighting two fights, 1) Luffy, 2) All of Dressrosa. DD needs the birdcage gone as much as the citizens of Dressrosa if he wants to stop Luffy. All of the powers of his double and a lot of his strings are right now occupied. DD should try to use his strings for a birdcage for Luffy alone and see what happens.

Not sure why Issho is excluded from the people that can remove the birdcage from the options above. Issho, Sabo, and Burgess should be able to break the birdcage as well.
    Last edited by fastfonz; April 30, 2015 at 02:48 PM.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fastfonz View Post
    Thanks for the review. It was fun reading it. It was a good distraction during Golden Week.

Right now DD is fighting two fights, 1) Luffy, 2) All of Dressrosa. DD needs the birdcage gone as much as the citizens of Dressrosa if he wants to stop Luffy. All of the powers of his double and a lot of his strings are right now occupied. DD should try to use his strings for a birdcage for Luffy alone and see what happens.

Not sure why Issho is excluded from the people that can remove the birdcage from the options above. Issho, Sabo, and Burgess should be able to break the birdcage as well.
    What makes you think Burgess is strong enough? No one removed it yet so apparently they all can't or else they would've by now. Zoro was occupied and since he can cut anything, I'm sure he will be able to.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Brunch's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

You missed 5th option "Zoro gets lost and ends up outside of birdcage"
    Good review
    “Never forget that you have a family in your life” ~Froese

25. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch View Post
    You missed 5th option "Zoro gets lost and ends up outside of birdcage"
    Good review
    Lol yeah that would be messed up

I'm curious about Kanjuro's abilities as a swordsman. Kin'emon was pretty impressive, unless he's going to help with his DF lol.

New Reply