Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (7/6/15 - 7/26/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 636 by cnet128 , Gintama 552 (2) , One Piece 794 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Awakened' Devil Fruit Abilities

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member henhead's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece Awakening of Devil Fruit Powers

Oda opened a world of new possibilities by introducing the "awakening" level for devil fruits based on Chapter 785 spoilers. While pondering about what Luffy's awakening level might be like (turning walls into rubber for added power or turning weapons into rubber, etc) there is something that crossed my mind: Has Whitebeard been displaying the awakened version of his Quake Quake no mi? I'm irked on this for three reasons.

1) Whitebeard was the oldest Yonko alive. Wouldn't it be weird if such a powerful figure would not have been able to reach awakening level for his DF? Why would he not use it during such an important battle as Marineford?
    2) Whitebeard could have been displaying the awakening version of Quake-Quake No Mi already
    3) Oda: Whoops!

Maybe before the awakening, Whitebeard might not have been able to smack the air and causing an "air quake." But based on the spoilers alone, it seems you don't have to touch the object you want to affect with awakening. I see a panel showing Luffy flying forward (Sanji Style) while the buildings next to him is turning to strings.

It would be sort of hax imo if a DF user can telepathically somehow manipulating their surroundings with their DF characteristics. If contact is required to manipulate an object, I would guess that Doffy would touch, for example, a wall with his string in order to imbue it with his DF traits.

Maybe CoC is required to "conquer" an object which allows for it to be manipulated?

I can't wait till' we find out the conditions for awakening level. It would be nice if Oda can explain awakening and whether there were other DF users who already displayed their awakening.
    Last edited by ProGoddess; May 08, 2015 at 08:11 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TitaniumOxide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Awakened Devil Fruits

Well there might as well be a thread on this so here it is. If mingo says one must see all the evil in the world blah blah I'm on a whole new level than you blah blah in order to awaken your df powers, then I am guessing like most of the rest of us, that there is waaay much more to this. Why do I have the feeling that this may tie into the initial "D"? Luffy isn't evil. At this rate, the manga probably won't make him evil in the future so in order to unlock this power, he needs to be a devil... if "D" stood for devil that is. Now I am not saying having such a initial will help you unlock it but maybe it is a criteria/way that mingo does not know of. Either way I think "D" has something to do with all this. But I digress. Instead of having everyone sift through the spoiler discussions why don't we just share our hypothesis and theories here?
    Last edited by TitaniumOxide; May 06, 2015 at 11:10 PM.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent fails to work hard." - Kevin Durant
    "Expected charity is a nicer way to demand slavery." - Terry Goodkind

Ever since the Loguetown arc, I've thought that Dragon was a logia wind wind fruit user. Why? He likes to feel the wind, when he appears, wind streaks appear. His Loguetown appearance is further evidence. And he just saved Sabo in a flashback appearing out of nowhere.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Holt's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is DF Awakening?

I'm inclined to believe it's gonna be a similar situation to Haki in that we have seen it before and perhaps the admirals and higher level fighters (like Marco) all use it or have 'awakened' but it just hasn't been named till now. It could be that once a DF user has awakened, they are immensely powerful and maybe that's how the yonko/admirals manage to stay at the top (well, the ones with DFs anyway)
    Last edited by Holt; May 08, 2015 at 08:26 AM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ced13's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Awakening of Devil Fruit Powers

I think Awakening was already showed before but it wasn't introduced yet. Just like Haki: Mantra in Skypiea, Shanks getting aboard Whitebird's ship, Rayleigh touching Kizaru, Luffy's CoC... After it was introduced it explained all of these.
    Now that Awakening was introduced we can suppose some attacks with DF were some sort of it but we gotta wait for an explanation from Oda, through a character who knows it, so that we can find examples of it in the past: Mangellan's Denom Venom, Enel's God of Thunder, Aokiji's Ice Age (in theory) but they could also just be simple attacks.
    I think Oda should just explain it after this battle is over.

Despite that this is my first post here. I'm hoping to help and have fun in here

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner alhatmy's Avatar
    Country
    United Arab Emirates
    Post Thanks / Like

what i'm sure of that Brook got the awakening during his 2 years training ..

check this chapter
    http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/635/4

he can control other people souls ! let them see what he wants them to see !

in other words .. he can control now (his soul alone) by letting it move outside his body

but he can also control the souls of people around him ..
    Love One Piece 4 EVER
    www.manga.ae

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Barrier's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alhatmy View Post

check this chapter

in other words .. he can control now (his soul alone) by letting it move outside his body

Nah, alhatmy. What brook did is called Hypnotism. Just like what Jango does. You don't do anything to their souls, you just mess up their brain and they will see what brook wants them to see.

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MBVC's Avatar
    Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy's awakening:

Oxygen + something something = rubber!

It just happens that the atmosphere & oceans have lots of Oxygen you know.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

On the other hand, Sengoku's df is off the limit in the awakening state without any doubt.

Even gods could not be absolutely certain whether they existed at the most fundamental level of reality or were themselves simulated.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Pea's Avatar
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, can't imagine Luffy turning surrounding objects into rubber. His attacks are quite straightforward. He should fight with fists

What he might come up with on the other hand is become an ultimate version of rubber himself. Like what can rubber do? Right, if you throw something at it it will most likely bounce off.

What if an awakened Luffy would repel ANY kind of attack? Or perhaps he would be able to absorb an energy from opponent's attack and direct it wherever he wants...

Anyhow, I have more interest in finding out what some other fruits are capable of when awakened. Buggy's version of Senbonzakura Kageyoshi may very well become true

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Holt's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well awakening (Paramecia at least) might not just simply be turning things into their DF type. I think awakening is just attaining a more powerful version of the DF and once awakened, they remain so. DD's awakened his DF so he has access to more powerful moves and all. Him turning things into strings might not be something everyone can replicate because DFs vary. It could very well be that his parasite string is possible because his DF has awakened. If so, then Luffy awakening might not necessarily mean that he turns things into rubber, just that he would elevate his DF to a higher level and thus would be capable of more powerful moves in all.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Well awakening (Paramecia at least) might not just simply be turning things into their DF type. I think awakening is just attaining a more powerful version of the DF and once awakened, they remain so. DD's awakened his DF so he has access to more powerful moves and all. Him turning things into strings might not be something everyone can replicate because DFs vary. It could very well be that his parasite string is possible because his DF has awakened. If so, then Luffy awakening might not necessarily mean that he turns things into rubber, just that he would elevate his DF to a higher level and thus would be capable of more powerful moves in all.
    We can already say that the effects of the awakening is different depending on the type of the DF. Even if it's really the same for all the Paramecia, as in them being able to turn their surroundings into the element of the DF, it will not be the same between two users. To me it could be that Luffy will use it more efficiently, in a way that fits his style of fighting. DD used it mostly to create waves that chased Luffy around. Luffy is more direct in his approach, and rather than just use his surroundings to fight from a distance, he could use the properties of rubber to his advantage to power up his gears for example. That I'm interested in seeing.
    All in all I think we haven't seen enough of the awakening to really judge, right now it doesn't seem that powerful, but who knows against stronger DFs like the Gura Gura the effects could be devastating.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member StrawHat 13's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

overall the idea of Luffy's awakening, the practical use, imo would be defensive in nature. much like the saying, "I'm rubber, you're glue, what ever hits me bounces off of me and sticks to you" my thought is, if Luffy does unlock his awakening, supposing he could effect, say,a whole island-turning it into one big rubber island-I think he could essentially deffend a Buster call.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member keeper1h's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alhatmy View Post

check this chapter

I'm thinking too that Brook is a good candidate for the awakening, but for me it's only close to achieve it. Same for Akainu and Aokiji, and also Robin and Whitebeard, who can use their paramecia powers not only on their body.
    Ok, the fuit allows Robin to grow extra body parts, but normally you can't imbue objects and people with your DF power and use it.

I think that the awakening of a Devil Fruit has something to do with knowledge and experience.
    One DF user who wants to awaken his power may need to know what Devil Fruits are, this intel will give him the best chances to learn what is the true nature of his DF power, then he'll need to know himself and get so much experience in using that specific power that... this will finally make him able to "hack" his body and his own power to make it reach its fullest extent. Nothing more than Luffy is already doing, but on a whole different scale.

Maybe "awakening" a DF has different effects for every power, or maybe the awakening is the same thing for all, but produces different effects for every DF class.

Let's make the hypothesis that "awakening" can also enable one to extend his true power outside of his body.

Paramecia: This type of fruit will give you superhuman abilities.

Logia: this one will permanently "change" your body into an element.

Zoan: this fruit will enable you to change into an animal with various degree of hybridization, like if every single time you transform into one of the three basic forms... your body is the result of a variable amount of your ancestors doing or not doing dirty things with that specific animal.

But this does not describe the Awakened Zoans we saw in Impel Down, at all.
    We never saw them extending their powers outside of their bodies, turning walls and people into animal flesh and ordering them around like they're their pack leader or something.
    But they're mindless beasts, so maybe they're failed experiments, maybe they're not even made by government, but they're in there as ex-prisoners became useful tools.

Lastly, in OP we saw some examples of "powers that manifest themselves in extended areas", to me the extent of this phenomenon depends only on strenght. It doesn't matter if it's Haoshoku Haki, "Room", "Birdcage", or the effects of a Logia Power. Strenght = area.
    No ZoroCopter

When i was asked to sign my signature, I had this video playing in background. Signature signed.
    Spoiler show

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Hannibal Psyche's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

The trend with awakening is perhaps, rather linear and based solely on your DF: it just seems to multiply the original properties/ability of the fruit.
    • Doflamingo controls and creates strings:

- Awakening amplifies his source of strings which as a result gives him more strings to control.
    • Luffy's ability allows him to stretch:

- Awakening would possibly increase his elasticity, that alone would would make him more durable. Things that are physically straining wouldn't be anymore.

- Gear 3 could become twice bigger than it currently is with increased elasticity; gear 2 will be many times faster and gear 4 would be astronomically more powerful.

- If his density increases as a result of awakening, he'll be able to compress a lot more air into his body resulting in explosive power.

- The idea that one day he might be able to increase muscle mass (G4) and bone densitiy (G3) at the same time wouldn't be farfetched. An enhanced G4 or possibly G5?

- Also have to consider that Luffy still has the appearance of a youth, imo he's still growing which possibly means he's still going to get naturally stronger despite an awakening (except Oda keeps his boyish build).
    • According to Crocodile in Impel Down, the the awakened Zoans experienced increased strength, durability and stamina. A Zoan DF does this already, so more or less implying that awakening just expands on what is already there.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner alhatmy's Avatar
    Country
    United Arab Emirates
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barrier View Post
    Nah, alhatmy. What brook did is called Hypnotism. Just like what Jango does. You don't do anything to their souls, you just mess up their brain and they will see what brook wants them to see.

check this link
    http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/643/8
    "move people souls"

and in anime E565 "can take them to his world = using his devil fruit !"
    Last edited by ladylola; May 09, 2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: bait
    Love One Piece 4 EVER
    www.manga.ae

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that not just a poetic way to describe the effects of music?
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast