Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (8/10/15 - 8/23/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Translations: Bleach 639 by cnet128 , Gintama 555 (2) , One Piece 796 by cnet128

View Poll Results: Whose background is the saddest?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luffy

3 3.09%
  • Zoro

2 2.06%
  • Usopp

1 1.03%
  • Nami

7 7.22%
  • Sanji

0 0%
  • Chopper

11 11.34%
  • Robin

60 61.86%
  • Franky

1 1.03%
  • Brook

12 12.37%
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Which backstory is the saddest?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which backstory is the saddest?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrs View Post
    Sorry to hear that, that really sucks. After growing up in California, I'm always surprised how much racism is around in the rest of the US, and in the rest of the world. It just seems so crazy, illogical, and hateful. It sucks that it's even an issue in this world.
    At least there's none in manga!

Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it has to be robin. She had her mom, townspeople and home destroyed by the world government and spent her entire childhood running away and destroying w/e organization accepted her in. From then we have franky and nami. Franky seemed to have his parents killed early on and nami had her mom killed by arlong. Chopper accidentally killed his dad which is perhaps more tragic... Then ussop since his mom died and his dad is a neglectful SOB. Luffy lost his brother but given the circumstances I don't think he was worst off than the others. Zoro lost kuina but that is perhaps a similar situation to luffy's. Sanji is perhaps in a similar boat to franky.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't notice this topic. LOL
    Anyway I think that the saddest backstory is that of Robin, along with that of Brook.
    Men they lost all the people precious to them and lived a very sad life from that moment, before meeting Luffy.
    Obviously also the backstories of the other Mugi are sad, but not as sad as those that I just said, IMHO.

Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever...
    Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time... That is up to you.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hossice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So if we are taking into account Kuina COULD still be alive, then we have to account for Sabo STILL being alive, correct?
    twitter.com/mahossice - follow back!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hossice View Post
    So if we are taking into account Kuina COULD still be alive, then we have to account for Sabo STILL being alive, correct?
    In Infinite Tsukuyomi, certainly... whoops, wrong forum

Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hossice View Post
    Well, technically, it really doesn't matter if they are still alive or not.
    In the facts, both Luffy and Zoro went through the grief and sadness of losing someone.

Even, if after 20 years Zoro would find out that Kuina is still alive, he was still feeling shitty when he was young.
    So that wouldn't change much about their sad backstory.

The only difference would be that it has an happy ending, years after.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ninja_Pirate's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

With the current arc, I could not resist but discuss back stories… compare the one going on with the other characters, and I remembered that there exists a similar thread like this.

The topic of this needs a spoiler tag, so that current situations can be discussed as well…

Though the topic is clear, the opening post and poll are about SHs only … Though I think we should make it open to discuss others past as well…. We have a back story of Fishmen Island … we have back story of the one leg soldier and
    Spoiler show

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Tough question. Ok, for me Sanji, Zorro and Usopp were the least sad in that order because Sanji didn't lose anyone he cared about and had a good life afterwards. Zorro lost someone but you couldn't really get emotionally invested in his story and Usopp lost him mum and his dad left but he had a good life otherwise and both Zorro and Usopp's loved ones died of natural causes, they weren't murdered or helped along by either of them like Chopper and Franky. In terms of quality of life Robin, Brook, Nami and Chopper had it pretty bad. Robin was badly treated by her foster family and the other citizens before the buster call and then had to go on the run for 20 years after. Brook had to live in the dark alone with the bodies of his other crewmen for 50 years. Nami had a decent life before Arlong even though she was poor but she was forced to slave away and steal for the guy who murdered her mother for 8 years. Chopper was rejected by his fellow reindeer and was then shot at and chased by humans. I haven't mentioned Franky and Luffy because Franky could've been abused by his family since they dumped him in the ocean but we don't see that and if you think about it Luffy grew up in pretty bad conditions but he was surrounded by people who cared about him so he was happy mostly. In terms of body count, on a personal level Robin lost her mum, all the archaeologists who were kind to her, her giant friend and her foster family, though she might not have mourned them as much. Impersonally, everyone from where she grew up was killed. Luffy lost Sabo and a whole lot of people were killed in the fire in the dump. Also I think the fire was on par with what happened to Robin, not in terms of the number of people who died but because of how senseless it was to kill all those people just to make the kingdom prettier for the celestial dragons. Brook lost everyone in his crew. Nami lost her biological parents and Bellemere and people in the town killed by Arlong. Chopper and Franky both lost their mentors and I think some other people may have died in their back stories but I don't remember. In terms of long term trauma, all of them have an emotional scar of some kind because of their past that affects their present behaviour. Sanji won't let anyone go hungry, Robin let the people she hid amongst die, Nami is obsessed with money and used to hate pirates, Luffy wants to be strong so he can protect the people around him, Franky wanted to give up his dream to be shipwright on the best ship in the world out of guilt etc. However, most of them get on with things and have generally cheerful personalities and hardly show their trauma. Nami and Chopper acted the most traumatised, especially when Nami stabbed herself. In terms of guilt, Franky was the most guilt ridded because his ships were stolen, used to attack his home and got Tom killed but Chopper also gave his mentor a poisonous mushroom thinking it would help him and he must feel guilty for that even though his story focuses more on his mistrust of people. Luffy also has cause to feel guilty because he was tricked into helping set up the fire at the dump but he hasn't shown any guilt for that and he might not have made the connection. Also the people from the dump weren't personally connected to him though it'd still be natural to feel guilty for inadvertently getting them killed. I think Robin has the saddest overall backstory but the others' are still really awful too. I actually cried more when Brook's crew sang for Laboon as they died than when Robin mum was killed.

Edit: I didn't know my post was this long til I posted it LOL!

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Chopper, couldn't care less about Robin, Sanji and others, yeah sure it was sad, but nothing on the scale of Chopper (Hiluluk and Corazon made me cry)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Junior's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

I still lean towards Ussop.

Say what you want, but his whole "boy who cried wolf" story was extremely touching. Especially when we found out why he felt compelled to cry wolf.
    2013 MH Resolution: Ignore the fanboys.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member milek's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Robin.

I will never forget what Luffy said that time at Enies Lobby

46 min.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hokageji's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, yes, what Luffy said was awesome but that wasn't part of the backstory. Backstory would end with Robin's flashback, she faces Crocodile for the first time...

The part of everyone you know being wiped away in an instant beats choppers backstory. I think Robin's is the saddest, although none of them made me cry...

Brooks was good too, but it was mostly mixed with happy memories.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Holt's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say robin. For a kid she went through way too much. Didn't know her parents, was treated like scum by the kids/people, saw her friend saul die, watched the very ship she was trying to board moments earlier get blown up, lost her mother on the same day she met her, lost all her scholar friends and had her entire town completely eradicated. Had a ridiculously high bounty on her head, forced to spend her life on the run, unable to trust or let down her guard.
    So much so that she came to believe that just existing was a sin. Just too tragic.

After her it'd be brook, Nami, chopper. Brook first because in addition to watch his nakama die, he was entirely alone all those years, Nami next because in addition to watching her mother die, she was forced to work for the very person that killed her. Chopper is just as bad but he had someone that helped to ease the pain.

After that I guess usopp and luffy. Then perhaps franky.

As for zoro and sanji I think its dishonourable to pit theirs along with the others (especially the first 4).

The strawhats sure as hell had it rough coupled with the fact that they were mostly kids when these happened to them.
    Its amazing/refreshing that even with all that happened to them, they manage to have such positive outlook on life. Its a beautiful aspect of the story IMO.
    Last edited by Holt; November 12, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rampeg's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

well aside from the strawhat pirates, i think that the saddest one is "Norland" background story

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of all the One Piece back stories other than the Strawhats' Otohime's got to me the most, especially when she was dying and her sons had to pretend everything was ok to protect Shirahoshi, that was really sad to me.

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast