Manga News: Check out these new manga (5/18/15 - 5/24/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
Forum News: Cast your votes to determine the best parent in the Anime Showdown.
Considering that the manga has ended today, I wanted to open this thread in order to discuss about what I've wrote in the title.
I will start so that I can give you a input.
GOOD: In general this series has been pretty good. It had a good humour and the characters were pretty awesome, along with their powers, which I think were cool. It had good moments and in my opinion the themes of the manga were really interesting and thus made me read this manga.
BAD: I just said that the powers were pretty cool, but it must be also said that some of them were quite exagerated (rings' power-ups). Some characters has been completely forgotten or ridiculized and that's bad, considering that some of them were really interesting. To conclude, some misteries have not been solved (who were really the Cervello? What were the Hell and Hearth rings?)
Now it's up to you to say your opinions about the manga.
P.S: Forgot again the prefix in the title sorry.
Consider it a discussion.
Last edited by Zasz; November 07, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Well, for me it's like this:
- The art - in that regard, it was the first runner-up in my personal manga list. This encompasses all - the character designs, the expressions, the panelling, the rendering of the fights etc.
- Most characters' personalities. They were indeed very different, and I liked the majority: Tsuna guardians, Varia, Millefiore, Mukuro's sidekicks, Arcobaleno and the vast amount of generally unimportant guys too.
- the pace - for me, it was a good balance between fighting and exposition chapters.
- the humor - most humorous moments really were funny.
- the whole idea of powers coming from rings and the mafia theme in general
- Tsuna's character. Not terrible, of course, but still. The only change that has occured was him getting braver and wanting to fight for his friends instead of waiting for them to protect him, which is not good enough for 400+ chapters. Otherwise, he retained his dumbness, absolute lack of confidence and poor attention span till the very end. Again, he wasn't awful and had his shining moments, but I could never really bring myself to like him.
- The Shimon Family. The only original character was Julie and even that was because he was Daemon Spade in disguise The others are all a poor copy of Tsuna's Family, Enma being particularly pathetic. The Arc itself was good though, thanks to Daemon Spade (again). I wouldn't mention them but they had a whole arc dedicated to them.
- anticlimatic endings. Nuff said. Maybe Amano's just not good at closures.
- lack of women. I generally dislike Action Girls who punch faces left and right, cause they just end up looking like bitches most of the time and I would never read a manga with a female main character, but in Reborn it was like women didn't even exist. That's too unbalanced.
Overall though, it was quite a good manga and I'll miss it.
Last edited by just_a_girl; November 08, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
If that is listed in "bad" for you then that's pretty much every top Shounen manga, there might be an odd exception or two.
- Future Arc, just the whole concept was amazing.
- The parallels between Tsuna and his guardians and the 1st Vongola and his Guarians were really cool. Just how Mukuro was hostile to Tsuna was how hostile Daemon was to Giotto. Loved it.
- Characters. The Guardians are all really cool except for Lambo unless he is 20YL Lambo who was really cool. If you notice, none of Tsuna's guardians call him the same way. Mukuro: Sawada Tsunayoshi, Hibari: Little Herbivore or other insult, Gokudera: 10th, Yamamato: Tsuna, Ryohei: Sawada, Lambo: Baka Tsuna
Also, special mention for Mukuro and Hibari were just awesome.
- Enemies, Xanxus and Byakuran were fantastic enemies.
- Comedy elements: Gokudera fainting at the sight of Bianchi is amongst the best. The way Mukuro and Hibari couldn't get on, Lambo being a jerk, The lack of manners Hibari and Mukuro had were fantastic. Gokudera's over-protectiveness of Tsuna, Yamamato's simple mind, Ryohei as the ultimate training freak and saying EXTEME!
- Shimon familia. They started off cool. P. Shitt, the fat guy, the baseball guy are the most lame characters I could think of.
P. Shitt who had Swamp flame, I can't think of a less cool flame. I thought besides Julie and Enma they were awful.
Adeleid was so typical of a shonen female, I'm almost certain the Shimon Familia would have been cooler if they were all male.
- The disappearance of Dr.Shamal. Somebody who was extremely cool just got cut.
- The way Bermuda lost, and how Kawahira casually let things go wasn't cool.
- Lack of other rival familias. There should have been so many people coming for Tsuna and Co's head the way it was set.
What was good: The Varia arc - XanXus was an incredibly charismatic villain who's ideology was something the average manga reader could understand. The fights were inventive, the characters were varried and there was some good development here in terms of plot and the characters themselves. Definitely the most mafioso of the manga.
What was bad: Everything else - Everything the Varia arc got right, every arc after that messed up on an epic level.
But it's not the most important thing and I only even put it here since it was an overall review.
And in good yes, Xanxus was a fantastic villain. Oh yessss.
It's a Shounen Formula. Although it's definetely exaggerated in Reborn like you said.
Xanxus was fantastic. Future!Byakuran was really good too.
So much could have been done in the current time I feel.
I'm grateful for the manga, but do you know where I can read a statement as to why it ended?
I can't imagine it got cancelled. And the ending was so open like it could pick anytime in the next few years.
the good: basically everything up to the beginning of the shimon arc was awesome, the storyline character developments and humor, it all fit.
the bad: the vongola gear and everything after it just went downhill. The inconclusive ending, the constant overpowered powerups, unexplained mysteries.
Its unfortunate but the beginning of the inheritance arc was awesome up until the rings got destroyed by a ridiculously overpowered shimon family and the new vongola gear came into play. It felt like the author partially gave up on the story and only wrote the last arc to answer the question about the acroballeno.
I don't think comedy can be defined as quality or defect of a story.
I don't like the comedy in Reborn and I know other dozens of people who also do not support. I jumped from chapter 40 to 70 because couldn't stand anymore.
Just as there are other manga that make me laugh and others people don't like.