Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter!
Manga News: Check out these new manga (6/22/15 - 6/28/15).
New Forums: Visit the new forums for Boku no Hero Academia!
New Reply

Thread: Laptop or Chromebook or Desktop

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Laptop or Chromebook or Desktop

So my current laptop is pretty much on its last legs and not good for doing much of anything beyond web browsing for a few hours and playing a video or two (love it cause HDMI out, but the 4gb of ram is only at 2gb now because part of it got corrupted, and now it constantly gives me windows explorer crash errors and a few more) its also 7 years old now.

I was wondering if I should get a chromebook since I just need to do document processing and still video watching, or just get a laptop so I can play games and more, or go for a desktop to get and go all out. I also graduate in a year and would have a much better paying job then...so I was thinking of chromebook then a better setup once i get my next job.

Please help me decide.

SoTaku is Love | Todoroki x Kaminari | Team Haikyuu!! | Team BLack Clover | Team Food Wars!

Global Moderator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Laptop or Chromebook or Desktop

If you just need it for document processing and watching videos you should buy the chromebook, but is it that different from other notebooks? Why a chromebook especially?

Desktops are too impractical. Laptops are good but if you want to play games you'd have to buy a powerful one.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    If you just need it for document processing and watching videos you should buy the chromebook, but is it that different from other notebooks? Why a chromebook especially?

Desktops are too impractical.
    Arent chromebooks low cost and longer battery life, while most laptops are significantly pricier?

SoTaku is Love | Todoroki x Kaminari | Team Haikyuu!! | Team BLack Clover | Team Food Wars!

Global Moderator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Arent chromebooks low cost and longer battery life, while most laptops are significantly pricier?
    Dunno, I have never been interested in chromebooks or notebooks in general. If you are considering buying a desktop or a laptop more powerful than a notebook I think a laptop would be better, not necessarily a gaming one.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Chromebook, but mine doesn't do pictures for some fucking odd reason, though apparently Chromebooks are supposed to. But I don't know if you mean YouTube/internet videos or on your computer videos. If you mean the former, you should be okay. If you don't plan on using your computer for much or don't need to do much, I'd say go for a Chromebook over laptop. More efficient.

Same

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Shasha23's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

you really don't do much on it, if I were you I just get a really good phablet, it will do all that with much better convenience and you can just wait until you can build a proper desktop
    Laptops are for people who don't know better and chromebooks are bought by people who end up not happy with it

a laptop, chromebook, tablet and notebook are cool when given to you free but don't waste your money buying one, they are completely useless in this day of age

Strong and Seductive, Morrigan Aensland the strongest female fighter

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Please tell me you're trolling.

Otherwise, good luck poking out essays on your ~5.5-inch screen if you're serious....
    -
    "In Nisekoi, there is no ship; just a submarine that goes up and down."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a phone that has a 5 inch screen. Probably is that is very inconvenient to any typing that is larger than a typical forum post or something.

In any case, Ill probably do a chromebook next month since theyre less costlier than a laptop. I dont think it makes sense to invest in a really cheap barebones laptop honestly, Ive seen people with those cheap ones and they really break down fast. I can put those savings towards getting a desktop anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I have a Chromebook, but mine doesn't do pictures for some fucking odd reason, though apparently Chromebooks are supposed to. But I don't know if you mean YouTube/internet videos or on your computer videos. If you mean the former, you should be okay. If you don't plan on using your computer for much or don't need to do much, I'd say go for a Chromebook over laptop. More efficient.
    yeah internet videos/youtube ones and some anime (if it plays mkv).

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Laptop. Next question please.

But seriously, you can bring it anywhere you like, and while it may not be as compact as a smartphone, you are bound to use one someday (due to work, for example)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner YumaKuga's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Laptop for me. I can go anywhere I want with it, and it boots up fast. Plus I do all my traslating/manga work/schoolwork on it, so it helps a lot.
    "I Really Love Cocaine!" - Dr. Drew

Sig by me.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you get it yet? I'd vote laptop as well, but just find a good deal in your local electronics stores. Or if you're adventurous you could get the infamous pocket-sized "$9 computer" that does it all, CHIP:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rst-9-computer
    (There's a week left but I imagine they'll keep selling each version at a set price)
    Last edited by kannazuki; May 29, 2015 at 08:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, I got a $169 chromebook from ASUS. It has been good for browsing and doing work away from my main work computer. The long 12+ hour battery life is nice, and its also great for watching anime on crunchyroll and such on when Im not wanting to get out of bed.

Unfortunately, Chrome OS has a decent screenshot part of the OS but it makes blurry images. I also dont like having no VLC support. Also having only 2GB ram, and with my browser habits, I can only open like five tabs instead of my usual 22+ on my work pc.

Definitely will invest in a Desktop in the future though. What is a good price range for one (should I get a prebuilt one on amzn or selectable pieces from sites like Dell etc?)

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that's good if you can get some work done. I'd be disappointed in the blurry screencaps too, but are there any apps you can get for it that do that too? I don't know much about Chromebooks specifically but it's possible there's a software solution for this out there.

As for pricing, I could talk about prices in Canada but they tend to be inflated compared to what you'd get in the States in most industries. When I'm going to make a big purchase, I shop around online first (places like Best Buy and Staples) to get an idea of typical baseline and sale prices (and maybe see what Wal-mart's charging even though I don't make larger purchases there), then I check websites and/or call a few of the smaller local electronics stores that still happen to get good deals. Usually by the time I've gotten through the bunch, some good sale prices or rare deals pop up.

And again, there's always CHIP.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I used laptop because I find it handy and I'm comfortable with it especially when I'm working on a task. It would actually depend on your preference. Just pick the one that can help you out in anything

New Reply